Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About reviews

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited February 2019 in Legends of Aria
Legends of Aria, 
TheLazyPeon did a fast review of the game.  Unlike most of his reviews, he jumped the gun and didn't do his homework.  None the less it seemed he did a good job anyway by winging it.  It seems the game is lacking.

Below in comments the fans made a mockery of him. 

Both are right !! 

If this game is not viewed as a strictly PvP game, their will be nothing for you.  
The very positive reviews are PvP players.  They are right.
The very negative reviews are PvE players.  They are right.

My assessment of this: 
Don't play unless your strictly PvP
It's based on a world given to players to constantly prepare for clan battles and ganking.  Unlike battle royals.  The Lone Wolf PvE player will be preparing himself for a void of nothing to do with his actions.

My advice:
Don't make your decision based on the appearance of polish or nothing else to play. 
Make it on PvP.
Post edited by delete5230 on
Tokken

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    I believe that you need to play the game understanding that it is PvP.  
    I will however say that I have not had a PvP fight at all in the last week since I have gone back to the game. I started to make a PvP character but put it on hold as PvP seems to have subsided. The closest I came was a single red character that tried to jump a Guildmate and then turned around and ran away when he realized he was next to our Guild house with 10 of us in there.  They also have added a new Ward Evil spell which alerts you if a red character is nearby.

If you are the type of person who simply cannot stand the idea of PvP then I’d say you should avoid the game.  If not and you can tolerate some PvP or enjoy it then this game shouldn’t turn you off for that reason.

Id say the larger reason to be hesitant is the still modest level of content.  There are a few dungeons and maybe a few dozen POIs spread around the world but it’s fairly lacking. They recently added multiple levels to the dungeons but I have not tried them so I can’t speak to them yet.  They promise a “massive” expansion soon which will introduce new lands. We will see.

Another reason to hesitate is the wild balance swings between patches.  They really do seem to go to opposite sides of the pendulum.   If you hate the idea of getting nerfed or not always having the perfect build then you may want to wait.

Another would be loot.  Loot drops from even the greatest creatures is pitiful. They want to push for a crafted economy but even the crafted stuff is bland.  The difference between “tiers” of crafted items is simply durability. All creatures drop copper.  Most items sell for silver or gold.   Copper is heavy. I suppose this is to deter mass PvP looting and also dull the pain of losing in PvP.  Sure you can lose most of your stuff in PvP but that “stuff” isn’t really all that valuable or hard to get.

My last gripe is the store. It’s B2P with a shop. I hate cash shops.  They have said it would be for cosmetics but at the store launch tried to put in Power Hour potions which increase skill gain for an hour. There was an outcry and they were pulled... for now.   Currently the shop is only for their loyalty points but I have no doubt it will be cash shortly.

Final notes- My experience is on Verdant Earth server.  It’s seems to be a much more mellow server than Azure Sky which is where most of the hardcore guilds went.  I’d also strongly suggest joining a guild ASAP. Not just for protection but for shared knowledge. This isn’t a game where you can go to a fan site and look up “Best Builds” or places to level up.
    JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Has it launched when I was asleep? :)
    Scot said:
    Has it launched when I was asleep? :)
    Well no Steam launch but there is no wipe so I consider it launched.
    ScotTokkenKyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I will however say that I have not had a PvP fight at all in the last week since I have gone back to the game. I started to make a PvP character but put it on hold as PvP seems to have subsided. The closest I came was a single red character that tried to jump a Guildmate and then turned around and ran away when he realized he was next to our Guild house with 10 of us in there.  They also have added a new Ward Evil spell which alerts you if a red character is nearby.

If you are the type of person who simply cannot stand the idea of PvP then I’d say you should avoid the game.  If not and you can tolerate some PvP or enjoy it then this game shouldn’t turn you off for that reason.

Id say the larger reason to be hesitant is the still modest level of content.  There are a few dungeons and maybe a few dozen POIs spread around the world but it’s fairly lacking. They recently added multiple levels to the dungeons but I have not tried them so I can’t speak to them yet.  They promise a “massive” expansion soon which will introduce new lands. We will see.

Another reason to hesitate is the wild balance swings between patches.  They really do seem to go to opposite sides of the pendulum.   If you hate the idea of getting nerfed or not always having the perfect build then you may want to wait.

Another would be loot.  Loot drops from even the greatest creatures is pitiful. They want to push for a crafted economy but even the crafted stuff is bland.  The difference between “tiers” of crafted items is simply durability. All creatures drop copper.  Most items sell for silver or gold.   Copper is heavy. I suppose this is to deter mass PvP looting and also dull the pain of losing in PvP.  Sure you can lose most of your stuff in PvP but that “stuff” isn’t really all that valuable or hard to get.

My last gripe is the store. It’s B2P with a shop. I hate cash shops.  They have said it would be for cosmetics but at the store launch tried to put in Power Hour potions which increase skill gain for an hour. There was an outcry and they were pulled... for now.   Currently the shop is only for their loyalty points but I have no doubt it will be cash shortly.

Final notes- My experience is on Verdant Earth server.  It’s seems to be a much more mellow server than Azure Sky which is where most of the hardcore guilds went.  I’d also strongly suggest joining a guild ASAP. Not just for protection but for shared knowledge. This isn’t a game where you can go to a fan site and look up “Best Builds” or places to level up.
    I'm only going from what TheLazyPeon Stated, much of your negatives are his too.  The rebuttal he got from the comments were the world was based around PvP and would be bland without it. They were basically saying this is a PvP game and go back to your WoW clones. 

Maybe you don't have the proper amount of opposing PvP factions on your server ?
    Could it be boring without it ?

I'm only going from what TheLazyPeon Stated, much of your negatives are his too.  The rebuttal he got from the comments were the world was based around PvP and would be bland without it. They were basically saying this is a PvP game and go back to your WoW clones. 

Maybe you don't have the proper amount of opposing PvP factions on your server ?
    I would say that PvP or the threat of it, adds to the game.  If this was a pure PvE game with no chance of PvP... the PvE content alone is lacking.  That could change in their "big expansion" but who knows until it launches.  If you are purely a PvE player and cannot stand any PvP then as I said above I would avoid the game (unless you are really into crafting and join a guild).   But if you are OK with some PvP but are afraid it's a gankfest I would just say that my experience has not been like that.

kikoodutroa8JamesGoblin

I would say that PvP or the threat of it, adds to the game.  If this was a pure PvE game with no chance of PvP... the PvE content alone is lacking.  That could change in their "big expansion" but who knows until it launches.  If you are purely a PvE player and cannot stand any PvP then as I said above I would avoid the game (unless you are really into crafting and join a guild).   But if you are OK with some PvP but are afraid it's a gankfest I would just say that my experience has not been like that.

Well, I'm not a big fan of PvP.  However how you put it along with some of the "fan" Reviews, I may look at this as a new style of gaming for me. 

<quote>
    They promise a “massive” expansion soon which will introduce new lands.
    This is good news.

One question does the world seem large as it stands now ?

I really need a nap right now... I'll then study more and maybe take the plunge.
    I would love a discord voice guild.  It's been awhile since I had a need for one.

Well, I'm not a big fan of PvP.  However how you put it along with some of the "fan" Reviews, I may look at this as a new style of gaming for me. 

<quote>
    They promise a “massive” expansion soon which will introduce new lands.
    This is good news.

One question does the world seem large as it stands now ?

I really need a nap right now... I'll then study more and maybe take the plunge.
    I would love a discord voice guild.  It's been awhile since I had a need for one.
    Its not particularly large but I honestly have probably not seen half of it.  A huge chunk is just open land with random animal creatures running around.
    delete5230JamesGoblin

There are a bunch of streams you can watch to see if it's something that would appeal to you before plunking down cash.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    If the game focuses on pvp then there is VERY little to do with the rpg aspects.
    I have yet to see a game that does the rpg components really well and when i see pvp focused,i know the games are really bad.
    Know how much effort it takes a developer to flag pvp...about 3 seconds.So when a game/developer is focusing on 3 seconds of work,yeah the game is crap.

I live by a very long standard,if a developer doesn't have anything good to say about their own game ,guess what,there is nothing good to say about the game.This is why i lol so hard when i see developers sending out marketing memos to websites to let us know...WE HAVE 10 million players,that means you should play too !!!.

Remember the part where i said .,if they have nothing to brag about the game,aside from lame tactics like that,then there is likely nothing in thy game to brag about.

I am sure McDonald's sells to MILLIONS of customers every year,heck every month...day,does that mean McDonald's is a AAA restaurant?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Now in saying what i did,the game is good on paper,this is simply a case of a low budget developer trying to deliver a game in one of the toughest most costly genres in gaming,space games being the toughest for reasons i'm not getting into right now.
    So this game is not a bad idea on paper,the implementation is simply too low budget.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Been watching and reading a lot.
    Still seems many say the game is lacking, others say it's on purpose. I believe its both but definitely playable. 

I will keep this on my radar for the very next sale and more polish only because I think I'm on video game burnout... I've been hitting it very hard and playing a lot of games the last few months.  I'll let it bake in the oven for a bit longer... but will definitely purchase. 

The potential cash shop and PtW is a concern in the future. 
    Slapshot1188
    An example of what drives me nuts with these guys.  They have this event where you go and kill creatures and earn relic fragments and then trade them in for items.  To get all the items is 25,000.

I played a lot the first day and got myself over 50,000 fragments.  Mid event they nerfed the fragment drops so now people are struggling to get more than 2k an hour.  Great for me, but not really a good look for other people who couldn't play Friday.

edited February 2019
    An example of what drives me nuts with these guys.  They have this event where you go and kill creatures and earn relic fragments and then trade them in for items.  To get all the items is 25,000.

I played a lot the first day and got myself over 50,000 fragments.  Mid event they nerfed the fragment drops so now people are struggling to get more than 2k an hour.  Great for me, but not really a good look for other people who couldn't play Friday.

Seems they may be trying to balance a progression system instead of levels.  It's a way to reward PvP players that play (grind) longer. 

Darkfall unholy wars "prowess system".  The player can gain prowess by doing any action repetitively allowing you to become stronger in PvP.  It took weeks playing casual to gain 2,000 prowess.  Problem was high end players were running around with well over 100,000 prowess.

This was very discouraging to new players.  The players would chop trees for six straight hours to gain very little.  A near impossible task to look forward too :( 

Not sure if this is the same thing to make the player play (grind) longer.  Unfortunately, I can't think of any alternative to reward longer playing PvP players.  Or get any reward at all.

Scary thought:
    Fragment grind reduction potions can be doable in a cash shop.
    Though I would say it has launched because the cash shop is there, we have no reviews of note. I don't count video idiots who just want to be the first.

This is the problem we now have with reviews, it used to be just for MMO's; when will review sites give a MMO a review after the cash shop and no wipe stage?

But now this is becoming an issue for the whole of gaming under the guise of "Early Access". Which like all these wonderful marketing innovations can become a charter for duplicity on a game studios part.
    Scot said:
    Though I would say it has launched because the cash shop is there, we have no reviews of note. I don't count video idiots who just want to be the first.

This is the problem we now have with reviews, it used to be just for MMO's; when will review sites give a MMO a review after the cash shop and no wipe stage?

But now this is becoming an issue for the whole of gaming under the guise of "Early Access". Which like all these wonderful marketing innovations can become a charter for duplicity on a game studios part.
    Totally agree,
    In my case, I've spent years learning to "read between the lines".  To do this is a painstakingly long event.  Much reading, much watching of both reviews and walkthroughs where players are simply playing and putting yourself in their shoes to ask, can I do this ? 

In the case of this game.  Decoding good/bad is difficult.  Some mistake missing features as broken, where they are missing on purpose. 

In spending hours, I've come to the conclusion it's BOTH. 

However you have to ask the question.  Is it worth all day analyzing ?  
    Scot said:

Totally agree,
    In my case, I've spent years learning to "read between the lines".  To do this is a painstakingly long event.  Much reading, much watching of both reviews and walkthroughs where players are simply playing and putting yourself in their shoes to ask, can I do this ? 

In the case of this game.  Decoding good/bad is difficult.  Some mistake missing features as broken, where they are missing on purpose. 

In spending hours, I've come to the conclusion it's BOTH. 

However you have to ask the question.  Is it worth all day analyzing ?  
    Well I do all my analysing at the point I might play it, you start way before that. My point for this game would be once I start to see a few Metacritic reviews. Saves time, ensures low blood pressure and makes sure I get a good nights sleep. :)
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Doesn't matter what he says, this game is going to flop harder than SotA.
    Doesn't matter what he says, this game is going to flop harder than SotA.
    Well my other concern is "do to all the recent suspicious activity" as of the last several years with payments methods, cash shops and P2W's... it's hard to judge anymore.  It's like their are more and more street vendor gold watch sellers on the streets of NYC than ever before, much like the mmorpg developers. 

Steam has this game on their web site for future games, and already it's totally filled with negative suspicion.  It's hard pressed to find anyone that actually talks about the game. 

29.99 on sale for $19.99, for all we know it maybe "free to play" when it hits steam.  You just don't know anything anymore.  
    edited February 2019
    Well, I was fighting the urge but did it anyway.... Downloading now but leaving for work. I'll play this evening.

Not sure if PvP is my style, but it's been so long since we had a hard hitting mmorpg where a guild and friends really count.

I watched a long playthrough of a guild playing a dungeon working together on discord voice.  This hooked me... Like I say, it brought me back to what an mmorpg is.

It's Tuesday and the weekend deal of $19.99 still stands. When it releases on Steam in a month or so the account will link..... If additional payment trickery happens, I'll play along to an extent.  After all $19.99 in not a very big investment.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Well. The game has a great foundation to be a good pve game (with content, with time and maturity and all that). I had fun and the game certainly has that special oldschool feeling but at the same time modernized, at that is not something many games can pride themselves with. Of course not everything is sunshine, but it was fun.

What is also true, is that however good the pve game is, no pve player will ever like it with the current pvp rules because it offers no protection and is purely designed to empower pvp players. Like all the other pvp games, they think they can fix the innate problem with a consequence system, and from a pve player perspective that can not be fixed, only solution is complete protection from pvp for pve players.

I am a pve player (I got the game as a gift if you must ask). I had fun the first week of launch, untill the ganking started, and then I decided to move on to other games.
    The game is prepared for having servers without pvp or similar rules (after all there is still some Shards online left), so I might come back for that kind of server some day.
    kjempff said:
    Well. The game has a great foundation to be a good pve game (with content, with time and maturity and all that). I had fun and the game certainly has that special oldschool feeling but at the same time modernized, at that is not something many games can pride themselves with. Of course not everything is sunshine, but it was fun.

What is also true, is that however good the pve game is, no pve player will ever like it with the current pvp rules because it offers no protection and is purely designed to empower pvp players. Like all the other pvp games, they think they can fix the innate problem with a consequence system, and from a pve player perspective that can not be fixed, only solution is complete protection from pvp for pve players.

I am a pve player (I got the game as a gift if you must ask). I had fun the first week of launch, untill the ganking started, and then I decided to move on to other games.
    The game is prepared for having servers without pvp or similar rules (after all there is still some Shards online left), so I might come back for that kind of server some day.
    After I created an account I went to forums to find a guild/server. With this question already asked, the reply was connect to discord voice and ask there... I'll deal with that after work later.
    Join Verdant Earth for a more mellow population.
    Many Guilds don’t just randomly recruit but some do.
    If you play later Eastern Time US there is a noobie friendly guild called Nite.  Their leader is a streamer called Gunsway.  I have seen him much lately so not sure how big they are today but I also moved to a different part of the world.  I’ve seen his recent streams are on Apex Legends so he may have moved on.

Another good one is MiM.  They always seem to be about and I think they have official raiding 2-3 times a week.  Have tagged along a few times and they seem pretty cool and definitely PvE minded.  Not sure what their recruiting policy is though.

BTW.  For some reason, they have the server specific discord channels hidden. There is a special command you have to use to join them.  I did see that NITE was still recruiting so if you play late Eastern time I'd start with them:
    [Nite] is seeking friendly & fun active night players. We are a blue guild open to both the new and experienced. Looking to help new player's learn, and help those wanting to reroll on VE gear up and run content. [Nite] runs primarily between 10PM EST - 4AM EST Feel free to join NiteDiscord.com to chat;; Or PM directly for details We even understand some French!
    delete5230

BTW.  For some reason, they have the server specific discord channels hidden. There is a special command you have to use to join them.  I did see that NITE was still recruiting so if you play late Eastern time I'd start with them:
    [Nite] is seeking friendly & fun active night players. We are a blue guild open to both the new and experienced. Looking to help new player's learn, and help those wanting to reroll on VE gear up and run content. [Nite] runs primarily between 10PM EST - 4AM EST Feel free to join NiteDiscord.com to chat;; Or PM directly for details We even understand some French!
    Thanks Slapshot,
    I have it downloaded and would love to start, but long hours at work, so I decided to not start until tomorrow night...

I  want to so bad but the wife would be mad.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Thanks Slapshot,
    I have it downloaded and would love to start, but long hours at work, so I decided to not start until tomorrow night...

I  want to so bad but the wife would be mad.
    This is why i'll never marry(at least someone who isn't very very similar personality wise). Don't wanna be told no or deal with consequences of me wanting to stay up late one night from my SO.
    Gdemami

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!