Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA/Origin Access for Anthem Begins, But Not Without Issues - MMORPG.com

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Sovrath said:
    The issue isn't about these developers not knowing exact numbers. It's about them not wanting to spend the money to provide an overestimate buffer so there isn't interruption in service.

Possibly. That does seem logical. though it's also logical that any company that wants to make sure their new release, which HAS TO go well for them, would want to do all they could in order to insure success.

A friend of mine who is a programmer once told me that he didn't understand why online games had such issues as it should be pretty simple to make them.

A few years later we were having a similar discussion and he said that it was indeed very hard as many things had to happen in order to make things work. Clearly he had a discussion with someone that changed his mind.

Most of us aren't developers or even programmers but sometimes we can come up with plausible reasons why things are the way they are. But a good many times they are just guesses.

Considering the amount of money spent to create the game and the infrastructure and the amount of money that is being generated in anticipation of the title there's budget there to handle it properly.

The point is it isn't a technology limitation. There isn't a monetary one either because it's EA/Bioware. It has to do with what substandard services they can get away with to minimize risk and overhead and maximize profits.

In 2019, these companies can pick up a fistful of feces and sling it in the consumers face and it will somehow degrade into a Team-Logic vs Team-Stupid debate. Substandard product offering always wins though.
    GdemamijimmywolfMadFrenchiePalebaneMendel
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 123ffxiv123ffxiv Member UncommonPosts: 30
    This was an issue in the first alpha and then the demo. You think they would have got it right for the soft launch...
    SBFordjimmywolf
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Well, buckle up buckaroos...if they couldn't get this right after flubbing it in 2 different tests, there is no chance of it going well when the larger flood of non-access players join in a week.
    jimmywolf
    Thank you for my free LOL @Gdemami ;

MadFrenchieXarkoTacticalZombeh
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    I am playing no problem and so far I like it a lot.
    mmolouDeadrites87jdnewellKyleraninfomatz
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Sovrath said:

The issue isn't about these developers not knowing exact numbers. It's about them not wanting to spend the money to provide an overestimate buffer so there isn't interruption in service.

Possibly. That does seem logical. though it's also logical that any company that wants to make sure their new release, which HAS TO go well for them, would want to do all they could in order to insure success.

A friend of mine who is a programmer once told me that he didn't understand why online games had such issues as it should be pretty simple to make them.

A few years later we were having a similar discussion and he said that it was indeed very hard as many things had to happen in order to make things work. Clearly he had a discussion with someone that changed his mind.

Most of us aren't developers or even programmers but sometimes we can come up with plausible reasons why things are the way they are. But a good many times they are just guesses.

Considering the amount of money spent to create the game and the infrastructure and the amount of money that is being generated in anticipation of the title there's budget there to handle it properly.

The point is it isn't a technology limitation. There isn't a monetary one either because it's EA/Bioware. It has to do with what substandard services they can get away with to minimize risk and overhead and maximize profits.

In 2019, these companies can pick up a fistful of feces and sling it in the consumers face and it will somehow degrade into a Team-Logic vs Team-Stupid debate. Substandard product offering always wins though.

That's just a bit too tin foil hat for my tastes.

It's not impossible, not at all. But I'd be more inclined to believe they missed something, some sort of error in their testing that is coming out and they don't have a clear idea as to how to fix it. or maybe as one person wrote, they are capping the amount of people until they are satisfied they can let more in.

That's also a bit "tin foil hat" as well.

I just think they made an error and haven't fixed it yet. It is to their financial benefit to make sure the game launches with a great experience. The damage done from a bad launch is going to cost far more than not allowing for more players than they realized would play.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited February 2019
    Me and another are playing with no issues other than he, my mate, had to try a few times to get on when it went live but no issues since, literally nothing.

I think this is likely an exaggeration from when they were still turning all the servers on. But everyone loves a hate train so... hey ho.

Anyone here actually having problems? Because I'm not seeing any... 

Game is awesome.
    mmolouDeadrites87[Deleted User]jdnewellcmacq
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256

Signex said:

I had no issues getting into the game. Playing for couple hours now, but performance seems to be still the same wich is bad.

Performance is bad in what way?
    I have been playing since 3pm, had no lag issue's, gameplay is smooth, no stuttering, no graphical glitchs, no long loading screens, encountered no bugs.

Some friends had an issue with a missing play button when they first launched the game, but restarting fixed it.

So what is the bad performance you had?
    [Deleted User]
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Of course they hate it. Its a trend. Not sure what they are looking for. Wow is for kids, Eve is for elitist, Black Desert to Asien, Fallout 76 not a single player, Star Citizen Vaporware, Champions Online to old, and SWTOR not Canon. Every single game in here have a huge group of haters.
    Guys, you took a wrong turn somewhere. This is the MMORPG site. Its ok to be disappointed or point out the flaws of games, but man, the effort put in to down these games...to what end?
    Yeah, you have a right to state your opinion, but man, the pessimism is getting exhausting.
    I was most likely here before you, and most likely will be here after you. I will just wait you out. Until then, time to ignore and just enjoy the games.
    [Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

It's not impossible, not at all. But I'd be more inclined to believe they missed something, some sort of error in their testing that is coming out and they don't have a clear idea as to how to fix it. or maybe as one person wrote, they are capping the amount of people until they are satisfied they can let more in.

I just think they made an error and haven't fixed it yet. It is to their financial benefit to make sure the game launches with a great experience. The damage done from a bad launch is going to cost far more than not allowing for more players than they realized would play.
    There is no tin foil. That's the antithesis of software engineering, dev-ops, and server infrastructure. 1+1 = 2. That's the point. More load balancers + more server clusters = more overhead.

There's companies where up time is vital to their business, and there are those where it's not.

Many game companies feel that launch period up-time on log-in servers is not vital, therefore they will not compensate for a catastrophic scenario and then scale back.

It is what it is. They're never held accountable so it won't change.
    GdemamiMendel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    How's the story aspect?  How is leveling?  How's solo play?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

S'alright
    Octagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

There is no tin foil. That's the antithesis of software engineering, dev-ops, and server infrastructure. 1+1 = 2. That's the point. More load balancers + more server clusters = more overhead.

There's companies where up time is vital to their business, and there are those where it's not.

Many game companies feel that launch period up-time on log-in servers is not vital, therefore they will not compensate for a catastrophic scenario and then scale back.

Are you saying a company that spares no voice acting or motion capture expense, hires a reputable film maker to do their trailer, cheaps out when it comes to HW and infrastructure? Say it ain't so, Joe.
    Sovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited February 2019
    I like the story but that kind of thing is always down to taste really. The presentation and explanation of the story is rock solid, though, and that's a fact. Things make sense, you get all the back story through proper game play and/or cut scenes and you just generally know what's going on.

I don't know what to say about the levelling, it's just normal levelling. It's looking like playing through the story will take you all the way to max level. You get more XP bonuses based on the things you do in combat. If you mix things up, you'll get a lot more. The XP is given at the end of a mission, like in the demo. You also get more XP if you play with people on your Origin friends list, likely the same kind of thing on consoles.

Solo play is fine but it's much better with at least one other person so you can combo off each others attacks. You can play them privately but all the story missions also have matchmaking. There's no text chat and you can turn off voice chat if you really want to so playing with others is easy and hassle free even if you're playing on your own. I'm certain you could solo the whole story on normal without any issues and hard when you get some decent gear and a loadout that works for you. Hard is only 'hard' when the main boss appears and, even then, it's not that hard when you have some proper gear.

There are some points in the story where enemies will keep coming infinitely until you complete the, fairly easy, objective. It's not always clear when this is happening. Just something to be aware of really.

I am highly convinced that once you finish the story you will be able to repeat it all whenever you want. There's a weekly challenge to complete 30 missions and that wouldn't make sense if you couldn't repeat them.. unless there's something about the endgame that they've been keeping from us.
    Octagon7711gervaise1MadFrenchiebartoni33ShadowStyleBsschrupp
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I played some today and I have to say I'm disappointed. In a different thread someone claimed there was character development in this game (name began with an A). So far there hasn't been anything. Just equipment upgrades and level based equipment slots opening.

This game has slightly more rpg elements than Super Mario Bros 2. I know that most here don't care about this, and probably prefer games with super lite or no rpg-elements, but that's the main reason I play a game. Is anyone able to clearly and with authority answer if there is a character development system that opens up at some point?
    Iselin
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Welp, I got to play a bit. Man, it plays SO much better than the demo, and I was already happy with the demo to begin with.

Good times ahead.
    [Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

More overhead sure, but if they are, as Iselin puts it, sparing no expense on every aspect of the game, why would they all of a sudden become a cheap date on the actual backend that makes everything work?

Possible? sure. But I doubt it.

In any case it seems that servers are more stable now so perhaps they will be good.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    blamo2000 said:
    I played some today and I have to say I'm disappointed. In a different thread someone claimed there was character development in this game (name began with an A). So far there hasn't been anything. Just equipment upgrades and level based equipment slots opening.

This game has slightly more rpg elements than Super Mario Bros 2. I know that most here don't care about this, and probably prefer games with super lite or no rpg-elements, but that's the main reason I play a game. Is anyone able to clearly and with authority answer if there is a character development system that opens up at some point?
    I honestly don't think they ever intended for it to have a deep overarching story anywhere close to Dragon Age, or Mass Effect despite the double talk.

It's supposed to be a 3rd person Destiny 2 competitor and if they fixed the mechanical/control issues from the demo, mission accomplished. Flying was fun AF and made all the difference when the settings were tweaked.

My concerns outside of this are:

• How's the weapon performance in comparison to the demo?
    • Are the first person sections still annoyingly slow walks?
    • Does that "leaving the mission area" respawn thing still happen (I thought it had to do with the demo)?
    • Are there other big cooldown options or is there just the 1 per suit?
    • Is there more variety in weapons and, attachments per javelin (too early to tell perhaps)?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    blamo2000 said:

I honestly don't think they ever intended for it to have a deep overarching story anywhere close to Dragon Age, or Mass Effect despite the double talk.

It's supposed to be a 3rd person Destiny 2 competitor and if they fixed the mechanical/control issues from the demo, mission accomplished. Flying was fun AF and made all the difference when the settings were tweaked.

• Does that "leaving the mission area" respawn thing still happen (I thought it had to do with the demo)?
    • Is there more variety in weapons and, attachments per javelin (too early to tell perhaps)?
    The walking has been changed to running.

The others I'm curious about as well.  Specifically, loading screens inside missions.  That shit is, like circa 1997.  Surely that was resolved for the live build.

I wasn't entirely impressed with the flight controls when I played the demo, either.  Finicky, though it got better when I experimented with the controls.  The overheating mechanic is simply unnecessary, in my opinion.

Be interesting to see how that all shakes out as critics continue to spend time with it.  It'd be nice to have an Iron Man-esque game worth jumping into immediately.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited February 2019

blamo2000 said:

I'm asking about mechanics, not story. An rpg character development system. Is my character going to be exactly like every other maxed level character besides gear? If so, it isn't my kind of game and is the antithesis of what I consider to be a game that could consider itself to be an rpg or use that acronym in it's label. This is the thread I'm getting my information from. - https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7431620#Comment_7431620 Azarhal stated - "They didn't show the character development in the video, just the Javelin loadouts/customization. Javelin gets all the abilities because it's hardware. The character development is more pilot related." I'm just simply looking for hard information on if this is correct or not.
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I think the actual downtime could be counted in minutes. It wasn't down long at all. But, haters gonna hate. Everyone get on the negative hype train. :D

I never had a problem and have been playing for the last 6 hours. At Level 13 currently.
    [Deleted User]Kylerancmacqjimmywolf
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I've been having fun. It's pretty shallow so far, and the story is pretty generic, but the gameplay is fun enough to keep me playing for a bit.

There are some weird ass issues though, I had a situation where the song overlapped itself 2 additional times, so I could hear the same song playing 3 times at once. Another time where our whole team crashed to desktop. Another time when all my sound cut out until I restarted the game. But since I started playing (a couple hours ago) I haven't had any lag or anything.
    Xarko
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    2019 and these companies still "aren't expecting" these things?
    edited February 2019
    Asch126 said:

I think the actual downtime could be counted in minutes. It wasn't down long at all. But, haters gonna hate. Everyone get on the negative hype train. :D

I never had a problem and have been playing for the last 6 hours. At Level 13 currently.

And yet another idiot that thinks his experiences make all the others wrong.
    What's your experience? Are you playing? Honestly.. Check reddit.. Check the official forums.. Check this thread.. 

This it not a thing. Its fake news.

I mean, you'll see a few people having some kind of problem, more so on the Answers HQ forums. But, there's not some kind of widespread issue that's affecting most people. It's just not happening. Disconnects during public missions are happening from time to time though, and it's very annoying when it happens because you don't get your XP and loot unless you complete the mission fully. They need to get that fixed. It doesn't seem to happen during private missions, even with a pre-made squad, from my experience anyway.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    blamo2000 said:

blamo2000 said:

I'm asking about mechanics, not story. An rpg character development system. Is my character going to be exactly like every other maxed level character besides gear? If so, it isn't my kind of game and is the antithesis of what I consider to be a game that could consider itself to be an rpg or use that acronym in it's label. This is the thread I'm getting my information from. - https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7431620#Comment_7431620 Azarhal stated - "They didn't show the character development in the video, just the Javelin loadouts/customization. Javelin gets all the abilities because it's hardware. The character development is more pilot related." I'm just simply looking for hard information on if this is correct or not.
    There isn't any character customization for your pilot. You pick a face near the start but that's it. The Javelins are pretty much the classes and the equipment you choose is your build.

They did have a skill tree system at one point, apparently, but it got scrapped for being generic because the skills had to be relevant to every javelin.. so it was boring stuff like.. +10% damge with rifles, etc.
    blamo2000