Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$5.5M gets you...

2»

Comments

  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Not much ragdoll there.  It's more bounce and DO A BARRELL ROLL.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 255
    edited February 15
    Mendel said:
    Way to deflect...  
    Would you say we should have been impressed with that clip?
    Honestly that looked like something James Proctor of Greedmonger fame produced.  
    I'm not impressed but I don't see how that clip was posted with the intention to impress.

    So, what is the intent of this clip?



    I already said it could be humour. Not saying it is a good idea. Another example of bad public relations.

    EDIT: Proof they are actively working on the game?
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 255
    edited February 15
    Sure, but that includes a bit of humour. Doesn't mean it is meant to impress. This looks simply like a video saying "haha, here is a goat falling off a cliff". I don't find it amusing but once again that is irrelevant.
    When one considers however that there is little to no info about anything else regarding the game, the clip doesn't sound so funny.
    I agree entirely. Poor public relations certainly. But not indicative of what "$5.5m gets you...". Which is simply a snarky, b****h comment.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Interitus said:
    I really hope you aren't suggesting the CoE forums are a place for rational discussion.  I've seen people bring up valid concerns to just be down voted and told to trust the devs.  That's not a discussion.  Here at least I know no one will get defensive if I say I'm concerned about ______.  They also might not care, but at least I can say it.
    No, I find the COE forums a quite cringey to be honest. One of the major criticisms on this forum that I agree with.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 255
    edited February 15
    AnOldFart said:

    I used to think that, but actually the more CoE changes from the kickstarter promise or fails to deliver the more I see that actually I wish I had listened pre kickstarter 
    That is fair enough, although the point of Kickstarter is to take a big risk on a project that has no other options to get funded. If it goes sour... we should all know that is a possibility.

    I don't want to rehash things but outside of the cash shop sales what has changed from the original Kickstarter promise? I don't mean progress reports, intermediate alpha stages etc. I mean game mechanics or features because that is what determines if the game can attract and hold a playerbase.

    In my mind (1) permanent death and aging, (2) OPC character persistence and (3) dev created but player controlled social/legal system. Those three key items are still in and which is really what will set this game apart. (2) is obviously also what might tank the whole project due to technical difficulty.

    What annoyed me was all the focus on fluff like different tribes - which adds very little to the game.
    tweedledumb99
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,651
    Better than the alternative of the game mattering so little that the threads don't exist.

    Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

    "At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

  • WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 209
    It's been done before:


    MadFrenchie
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,761
    Sure, but that includes a bit of humour. Doesn't mean it is meant to impress. This looks simply like a video saying "haha, here is a goat falling off a cliff". I don't find it amusing but once again that is irrelevant.
    I took the time to look up rag doll testing from a game development perspective, found a decent article on "How Stuff Works"

    This quote illustrates the video is actually working as intended.  Sometimes (often?) we armchair developers aren't as informed as we should be before mocking.

    "Thus, hilarity often ensues as the articulated limbs of the character twist and bounce in all sorts of unrealistic and absurd ways, like a ragdoll flung down a flight of stairs."

    It's a good read if you want to know more.

    https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ragdoll-physics2.htm




    tweedledumb99

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited February 16
    AnOldFart said:

    I used to think that, but actually the more CoE changes from the kickstarter promise or fails to deliver the more I see that actually I wish I had listened pre kickstarter 
    That is fair enough, although the point of Kickstarter is to take a big risk on a project that has no other options to get funded. If it goes sour... we should all know that is a possibility.

    I don't want to rehash things but outside of the cash shop sales what has changed from the original Kickstarter promise? I don't mean progress reports, intermediate alpha stages etc. I mean game mechanics or features because that is what determines if the game can attract and hold a playerbase.

    In my mind (1) permanent death and aging, (2) OPC character persistence and (3) dev created but player controlled social/legal system. Those three key items are still in and which is really what will set this game apart. (2) is obviously also what might tank the whole project due to technical difficulty.

    What annoyed me was all the focus on fluff like different tribes - which adds very little to the game.
    I'll go for the big one tribes. 

    I found the game pre kickstarter and it was called a low fantasy game with humans.
    Nothing different in kickstarter. 
    Then post kickstarter tribes came into it, and now we have dwarves tree hobbits, Marsh orcs, goth elves, wood elves, tundra barbarians (humans still)  humans and some weird cave communists... 
    This is not including the ice giants and none release tribes... 

    Pre kickstarter and even kick-starter, explore the world
    Since - here is the full map and BTW no area is unclaimed by a kingdom. 


    There is more but I'm about to go to bed so... 
    StaalBurgher
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 152
    AnOldFart said:

    I'll go for the big one tribes. 


    People always say this, tribes were brought up before KS. Now you could argue they didn't go into any kind of detail and maybe people were assumed it just be like RL races. A bit different but really the same as well. Can argue with their change from low fantasy to mid fantasy though, that is annoying. I'm waiting for full fantasy to happen.
    tweedledumb99
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited February 16
    Torrsk said:
    AnOldFart said:

    I'll go for the big one tribes. 


    People always say this, tribes were brought up before KS. Now you could argue they didn't go into any kind of detail and maybe people were assumed it just be like RL races. A bit different but really the same as well. Can argue with their change from low fantasy to mid fantasy though, that is annoying. I'm waiting for full fantasy to happen.


    I have followed the game since before the kickstarter, I discovered it the December prior to it.

    Now I've had a quick search on my phone and the earliest I find about tribes is this Discord comment with a link attached to it.

    This is June the 1st 2017 (kickstarter was May 2016)
    Elyria is a vibrant ecology with many, interconnected species relying upon one another...and then we have to go and throw tribes in the mix! 

    (Sorry it's seperated the one comment into two quotes but as I said on my phone. )

    Until this point if the tribes were mentioned it was hinted more like celts, germanic, nordic, etc.

    If they intended the tribes as the currently are they would have used the term races. This is because once they descended down a different evolutionary path they changed their species, I mean would you call a wolf and a dog the same species?

    On the point about full fantasy I can imagine it going that way too... 


    My biggest annoyance isnt the tribes or anything like that though, it's Caspian and his whole attitude, he stated he had been designing this game for years but didn't think to do a wiki of his entire plan for people to get to grips with. It's like he won't publish it because every week him and Souzou (who I am sure is just a relative/office pet moved into different roles until they find something he is good at).

    Sorry little distracted, it's that those two change something in the game every week. I mean what happened to the great plan... 

    Hmmmm maybe I should out this in a new post called my biggest annoyance from CoE

  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited February 16
    Can I just say I don't want to see the game fail, I would love for something even slightly resembling the original idea, Just these days I don't believe we will get it... 
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 152
    @AnOldFart I do get what you mean. This post comes from September 2015 (https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/435/DJ-6-Character-Customization-and-Bloodlines). *The slow process of evolution and the need to survive has created several different races across Elyria, each with their own set of resistances and starting attributes. Families whose ancestors were forest dwellers will begin the game with higher than average strength and intuition, while desert dwellers will begin with increased agility and stamina.*

    Clearly something massively changed in their thinking. The first time I came across that post, I still thought it was just filled with human like characters. Not something more mid/high fantasy of ice giants and elves running around.

    While the whole game was clearly thought up of having just human like characters. The point we have still yet to see any real settlements for any other tribe. Something that still annoys me greatly. While I'm a massive Hrothi fan, I still have zero idea how they even work. What inside a mountain will even look like. Something I doubt I would see before domain selection. Something that I'm still wondering if I should just go the safe Neran bet. Which seems a terrible way to go about things. They should hype the hell out of the other tribes, give reasons people want to go them. 

    So yeah, I do agree. Rather they just push out the game over changing things. Personally my biggest problem so far, is locking in how many domains there are per everything. It seems that's why we got this god awful boring maps. Since as you probably know, everything was meant to be random. But since everything had the same amount of everything. Well limited what the maps could look like. Of course they had to change it for the rich bastards. On the flip side, I laugh at how small those domains are going to be. One negative for them putting in a set size on domains. 
    AnOldFartStaalBurgher
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 1,977
    From reading these comments its amazing to me how little people understand, and how quick they are to comment on their lack of understanding.
    GdemamiKyleran
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,515
    goboygo said:
    From reading these comments its amazing to me how little people understand, and how quick they are to comment on their lack of understanding.
    ...it is a driving force behind these boards.
    parrotpholkKylerantweedledumb99
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,483
    A real question here.

    Isn't 5.5 million dollars peanuts in developing an MMO type game?
    Kyleran
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200
    A real question here.

    Isn't 5.5 million dollars peanuts in developing an MMO type game?
    Not CoE. They only required $900k from crowdfunding to develop the minimum viable product. :wink:
    Kyleran
    --------------------------------------------
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,515
    edited February 16
    A real question here.

    Isn't 5.5 million dollars peanuts in developing an MMO type game?
    Depends on what game you are making.

    5M is peanuts in asset building but since that isn't a focus of CoE + you can buy lots of assets and technology today, so yeah, there is a solid reason to believe it is doable.

    Kylerantweedledumb99Torrskparrotpholk
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,761
    Gdemami said:
    goboygo said:
    From reading these comments its amazing to me how little people understand, and how quick they are to comment on their lack of understanding.
    ...it is a driving force behind these boards. 
    Present company definitely included.

    ;)
    Slapshot1188Mendeltweedledumb99AnOldFart

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Torrsk said:
    @AnOldFart I do get what you mean. This post comes from September 2015 (https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/435/DJ-6-Character-Customization-and-Bloodlines). *The slow process of evolution and the need to survive has created several different races across Elyria, each with their own set of resistances and starting attributes. Families whose ancestors were forest dwellers will begin the game with higher than average strength and intuition, while desert dwellers will begin with increased agility and stamina.*

    Clearly something massively changed in their thinking. The first time I came across that post, I still thought it was just filled with human like characters. Not something more mid/high fantasy of ice giants and elves running around.

    While the whole game was clearly thought up of having just human like characters. The point we have still yet to see any real settlements for any other tribe. Something that still annoys me greatly. While I'm a massive Hrothi fan, I still have zero idea how they even work. What inside a mountain will even look like. Something I doubt I would see before domain selection. Something that I'm still wondering if I should just go the safe Neran bet. Which seems a terrible way to go about things. They should hype the hell out of the other tribes, give reasons people want to go them. 

    So yeah, I do agree. Rather they just push out the game over changing things. Personally my biggest problem so far, is locking in how many domains there are per everything. It seems that's why we got this god awful boring maps. Since as you probably know, everything was meant to be random. But since everything had the same amount of everything. Well limited what the maps could look like. Of course they had to change it for the rich bastards. On the flip side, I laugh at how small those domains are going to be. One negative for them putting in a set size on domains. 
    Oh I remember that, yeah I assumed the same that it was just humans with slightly different attributes. 
    I think that's what everyone thought. 

    I agree on the maps, they are boring and symmetrical, I would have loved to have seen someone forced to have a full on desert kingdom due to the randomness
    Kyleran
Sign In or Register to comment.