Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard employees crying and hugging in the parking lot

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    Hatefull said:
    danwest58 said:
    Like I said I expected this Esports thing to come crashing down on these companies.   So its no surprise that the Esports groups will get laid off.   Anyone who thinks this really would have taken off has no idea about ESports.   How did StarCraft become an Esport back in 1999?   I can tell you it was not because Blizzard was pushing it to be an ESport.  It just naturally happened from players like myself that like the game and ended up having local tournaments on our college campus.  

Now I am sorry to see these employees being let go.  With that said, I think Activision needs to just make me their next CEO.  I would turn that company back into a private company.  I would call in the people that came up with Micro-Transactions into my office and FIRE them right on the spot.  I would fire every manager that was pushing game changes on the game developers because these managers wanted to focus on money not making a good game.  I would fire the managers that pushed the Esports.   I would also move Blizzard out of California to the Mid West to reduce cost.  I would also fire the all the GAMES JOURNALIST companies that tried to push SJW bull crap into the games and any managers I mean Activist hired by the company.  

Then I would push the Game developers to get back to making games without cash shops with a subscription model, focus on the games and making them fun for customers.  NOT making games for shareholders, Activist and want to be Esports people.   I would Also shut down Diablo Immortal and make D4 and refocus the team on making new IPs and new games for current IPs.    
    I seriously have not laughed that hard in a while. That was awesome, great job bringing some levity to an otherwise very unhappy discussion. lol.
    funny perhaps, but there are a lot of good points in there, the SJW 'bc' has destroyed more than a few games now, the journos we don't have to worry so much about as most of them are gradually being sacked anyway, yeah, managers whatever, basically whoever it is that is pushing microtransactions at the expense of gameplay, i'd sack not just them but all the mobile focused ones too. ;)
    Which games were "destroyed" by SJWs?
    Battlefield V, ME:Andromeda, whenever a game is dipped into the identity politics trough, it comes down with a bad case of dysentry. Its how the whole #getwokegobroke thing even came about and has been validated repeatedly. :p
    MadFrenchieHorusraIselinGdemamiKyleranXarko
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited February 2019
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Hatefull said:
    danwest58 said:
    Like I said I expected this Esports thing to come crashing down on these companies.   So its no surprise that the Esports groups will get laid off.   Anyone who thinks this really would have taken off has no idea about ESports.   How did StarCraft become an Esport back in 1999?   I can tell you it was not because Blizzard was pushing it to be an ESport.  It just naturally happened from players like myself that like the game and ended up having local tournaments on our college campus.  

Now I am sorry to see these employees being let go.  With that said, I think Activision needs to just make me their next CEO.  I would turn that company back into a private company.  I would call in the people that came up with Micro-Transactions into my office and FIRE them right on the spot.  I would fire every manager that was pushing game changes on the game developers because these managers wanted to focus on money not making a good game.  I would fire the managers that pushed the Esports.   I would also move Blizzard out of California to the Mid West to reduce cost.  I would also fire the all the GAMES JOURNALIST companies that tried to push SJW bull crap into the games and any managers I mean Activist hired by the company.  

Then I would push the Game developers to get back to making games without cash shops with a subscription model, focus on the games and making them fun for customers.  NOT making games for shareholders, Activist and want to be Esports people.   I would Also shut down Diablo Immortal and make D4 and refocus the team on making new IPs and new games for current IPs.    
    I seriously have not laughed that hard in a while. That was awesome, great job bringing some levity to an otherwise very unhappy discussion. lol.
    funny perhaps, but there are a lot of good points in there, the SJW 'bc' has destroyed more than a few games now, the journos we don't have to worry so much about as most of them are gradually being sacked anyway, yeah, managers whatever, basically whoever it is that is pushing microtransactions at the expense of gameplay, i'd sack not just them but all the mobile focused ones too. ;)
    Battlefield V, ME:Andromeda, whenever a game is dipped into the identity politics trough, it comes down with a bad case of dysentry. Its how the whole #getwokegobroke thing even came about and has been validated repeatedly. :p
    Yes yes, ignore the very applicable detriments to those games' fun in favor of blaming it all on a political agenda that doesn't even hold sway over the majority of Americans, much less is applicable to the markets of other countries.

/facepalm
    KyleranTimEisenHatefull

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,153
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Hatefull said:
    danwest58 said:

Hello Dr. Who and Star Wars.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,211
    Sovrath said:

There's nothing here about holding anyone's hand.  There's also nothing about knowing the nature of an organization that inherently makes it okay or positive.  An admitted thief is still a thief (this isn't implying that's what happened here, this is a general response about your original post of resignation towards corporations).  If something appears to be detrimental to the common good, the perpetrators of that thing are no less destructive to the society merely because they're honest about it.

The status quo isn't inherently best-case merely because it's the status quo.  Status quo doesn't even imply "good-case."
    It's pretty simple, if you don't like large corporations then don't work for them.

Don't buy their products either.

if a large corporation does something against the law then by all means they shoud be held accountable.

But large corporations do large thigns that smaller companies can't.

My original post was just that, if you are going to work for a large corporation know what you are getting into. Not any more complicated than that.

And "no" I never said anything that gave large corporations carte blanche to be parasitic, to do anyting against the law.

But people seem to forget that large corporations do let people go, do look at their bottom line when they are buying their products.
    We've gotten past that point.

Now large corporations buy up smaller business's or worse to get rid of competition. I lost a whole product line to a multinational and the way they did it was pretty shitty.  Where as the products we're locally made and employed local people. The taxes we're paid to local government. Now that revenue gets sucked out of the country and out of the local economy.

Yes there is a good side to big corporations. Things can be produced that are too big and too long in development for smaller companies to take on. But there is also the bad side of corporations using their muscle to kill smaller business's and taking that wealth out of smaller communities and countries for that matter.

All that wealth that used to be spread around a greater area gets more and more concentrated to fewer and fewer.

In a small business you are a person, the big guy will probably know you by name. When they have to lay someone off there is a face attached, a human being.  Profit is important, but profit isn't the only thing that's important. In a corporation you are only a number.
    MadFrenchieNycteliosGdemamiTimEisen

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,007
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:

There's nothing here about holding anyone's hand.  There's also nothing about knowing the nature of an organization that inherently makes it okay or positive.  An admitted thief is still a thief (this isn't implying that's what happened here, this is a general response about your original post of resignation towards corporations).  If something appears to be detrimental to the common good, the perpetrators of that thing are no less destructive to the society merely because they're honest about it.

The status quo isn't inherently best-case merely because it's the status quo.  Status quo doesn't even imply "good-case."
    It's pretty simple, if you don't like large corporations then don't work for them.

Don't buy their products either.

if a large corporation does something against the law then by all means they shoud be held accountable.

But large corporations do large thigns that smaller companies can't.

My original post was just that, if you are going to work for a large corporation know what you are getting into. Not any more complicated than that.

And "no" I never said anything that gave large corporations carte blanche to be parasitic, to do anyting against the law.

But people seem to forget that large corporations do let people go, do look at their bottom line when they are buying their products.

Now large corporations buy up smaller business's or worse to get rid of competition. I lost a whole product line to a multinational and the way they did it was pretty shitty.  Where as the products we're locally made and employed local people. The taxes we're paid to local government. Now that revenue gets sucked out of the country and out of the local economy.

Yes there is a good side to big corporations. Things can be produced that are too big and too long in development for smaller companies to take on. But there is also the bad side of corporations using their muscle to kill smaller business's and taking that wealth out of smaller communities and countries for that matter.

All that wealth that used to be spread around a greater area gets more and more concentrated to fewer and fewer.

In a small business you are a person, the big guy will probably know you by name. When they have to lay someone off there is a face attached, a human being.  Profit is important, but profit isn't the only thing that's important. In a corporation you are only a number.
    sure because that don't generate local taxes anyway and local sellers don't profit from selling it, in the end of the day people will buy the cheaper one save for one or 2 who like to yell I support the little men, big corps sell cheaper
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Hatefull said:
    danwest58 said:

Yes yes, ignore the very applicable detriments to those games' fun in favor of blaming it all on a political agenda that doesn't even hold sway over the majority of Americans, much less is applicable to the markets of other countries.

/facepalm
    they still not sold well, and get a lot of flack, for pushing the political agenda over the fun part, and we have that ghostbuster film who will be ignored on the next one is being made

in the end of the day most are just posting they feel sorry for then just to be polite and look "human" because truth be told no one cares save the ones fired, but then all come down to if they are any good they will find another job fast, if not well better they shape up and start working harder(or in some cases finally start working)
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MainframesMainframes Member CommonPosts: 4
    as an old school gamer seeing games evolved from 80s seeing companies born and die. playing blizzards first game..being an addict of Warcraft rts, starcratft vanilla rts.. much of hackers were born example that famous hack for starcraft..oblivion...making many legit gamers rage.. with not much being done about it by blizzard at that time.. also not protecting battlenets chat channels being nuked aka DDOS attack etc... blizzard evolved and handled things better in time...not sure of blizzards employee name but that year when diablo too had a reset.. had stars in eyes coulda kissed that blizzard employee...when the main WoW developer left for hearthstone from world of Warcraft my final red flags from company clicked… game gear graphic became cheap.. icons rip off from way older expansions… etc.…  800 employees less… realy? and the company is asking itself why we loosing population… the gamers old school or new school can easly answer that famous why...
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,388
    Darksworm said:
    Sovrath said:
    What amazes me every time something like this happens are the "white knighters" coming out of the woodwork to defend corporate greed.
    I don't think there is a one person here defending "corporate greed."

I will say that corporations "are what they are."

You always know where you stand when you are working for a large corporation and there is always the chance of being laid off if the projections are a few more % off than management would like.

but corporations make money. They make money for investors. that's what they do. It's like complaining that water is wet.

But that doesn't diminish the human factor and the sorrow/issues that laid off employees feel.

Nothing about knowing what they are would make it excusable if what they are is parasitic on the average citizen.  

Being honest about being shitty doesn't absolve one of said shittiness.  That kind of apathy is what allows corporations burrow into the grey areas of law (and, indeed, directly into "illegal" sometimes).
    You don't have the right to a job.  You have the right to pursue a job.  That's it.  Corporations don't owe these people anything, except severance as dictated by their contracts - if such existed.

If laying people off to maintain profitability, or increase it (by decreasing operating costs) is "parasitic," then what is keeping them on while committing corporate suicide?  Altruism?  Who does that help?  Are they going to accept the massive pay cuts needed across the board to maintain employee status, while the business also meets its objectives?  Or Will they riot, strike, and call it "unfair" because they "aren't getting paid enough," instead?

Have you ever owned a business and employed people?  I think in many cases, people haven't... If you had, you'd understand the nuances of this a bit better.  In many cases, it's simply easier to lay them off then try to negotiate the alternatives.  It isn't worth the headache, especially in the current climate.  I would have laid them off, too.

Corporate Greed is a myth.  The entire drive of a corporation is to make money for shareholders - at any cost possible.  When you apply for a job, you do so knowing this, and knowing that if you don't help them to achieve that, you're de facto expendable and can be cut off at any time.

Sure, some corporations try to take moral high ground, on the assumption that it will actually win them "good will" (and customers, as a result; Apple does this all the time), but that is only a play for more profits (and in some cases, an excuse to keep prices higher while excusing it to consumers in a way that seems logical and rational).  It's a mental game they play, because they know people like you exist and will probably overpay simply due to ideology; when cheaper alternatives exist.
    Wtf man...

A job is what everyone should have access to and what everyone should have. Unless they decline the opportunity etc. What's with all this elitism as of late? And if it has something to do with DJ, he sucks as a businessman, ok? He's simply a funny loudmouthed buffoon(I admit that I like him). He shouldn't be a catalyst for anything because if he hadn't a cadre of advisors, he would've crashed his entire legacy in two years max. And you know it.
    alkarionlogGdemamiHorusraKyleranTimEisen
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,437
    as an old school gamer seeing games evolved from 80s seeing companies born and die. playing blizzards first game..being an addict of Warcraft rts, starcratft vanilla rts.. much of hackers were born example that famous hack for starcraft..oblivion...making many legit gamers rage.. with not much being done about it by blizzard at that time.. also not protecting battlenets chat channels being nuked aka DDOS attack etc... blizzard evolved and handled things better in time...not sure of blizzards employee name but that year when diablo too had a reset.. had stars in eyes coulda kissed that blizzard employee...when the main WoW developer left for hearthstone from world of Warcraft my final red flags from company clicked… game gear graphic became cheap.. icons rip off from way older expansions… etc.…  800 employees less… realy? and the company is asking itself why we loosing population… the gamers old school or new school can easly answer that famous why...
    Welcome to the boards...well welcome to posting anyway, you need to catch up! :)
    Kyleran

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 429
    edited February 2019
    You guys laughed at me for saying this months ago this was in the wind because this is the "new blizzard." Well the old folks who are the stake/share holders don't want any PC-friendly folks working at Blizzard.

Even Activision is wanting to hire old blood...and they were the progressive ones of the two.

Many, many companies rinse and repeat their millenial or younger staff. Group think and such makes a company think it takes 50 of them to do a normal person's job...so you hire the 50 and when the project is done you axe them.

Reminds me when I was working for a computer help consulting firm on the east coast. We literally had a morning call session where the managers all get on a teleconference and upper management (the really big guys...name and belly) literally said and I quote, "remind your millenials Friday is time and a half if they got questions direct them to the intranet or just help them out." LOL. I will never ever forget that.
    Gdemami
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,007
    Gorwe said:
    Darksworm said:
    Sovrath said:
    What amazes me every time something like this happens are the "white knighters" coming out of the woodwork to defend corporate greed.

You always know where you stand when you are working for a large corporation and there is always the chance of being laid off if the projections are a few more % off than management would like.

but corporations make money. They make money for investors. that's what they do. It's like complaining that water is wet.

But that doesn't diminish the human factor and the sorrow/issues that laid off employees feel.

Nothing about knowing what they are would make it excusable if what they are is parasitic on the average citizen.  

Being honest about being shitty doesn't absolve one of said shittiness.  That kind of apathy is what allows corporations burrow into the grey areas of law (and, indeed, directly into "illegal" sometimes).
    You don't have the right to a job.  You have the right to pursue a job.  That's it.  Corporations don't owe these people anything, except severance as dictated by their contracts - if such existed.

If laying people off to maintain profitability, or increase it (by decreasing operating costs) is "parasitic," then what is keeping them on while committing corporate suicide?  Altruism?  Who does that help?  Are they going to accept the massive pay cuts needed across the board to maintain employee status, while the business also meets its objectives?  Or Will they riot, strike, and call it "unfair" because they "aren't getting paid enough," instead?

Have you ever owned a business and employed people?  I think in many cases, people haven't... If you had, you'd understand the nuances of this a bit better.  In many cases, it's simply easier to lay them off then try to negotiate the alternatives.  It isn't worth the headache, especially in the current climate.  I would have laid them off, too.

Corporate Greed is a myth.  The entire drive of a corporation is to make money for shareholders - at any cost possible.  When you apply for a job, you do so knowing this, and knowing that if you don't help them to achieve that, you're de facto expendable and can be cut off at any time.

Sure, some corporations try to take moral high ground, on the assumption that it will actually win them "good will" (and customers, as a result; Apple does this all the time), but that is only a play for more profits (and in some cases, an excuse to keep prices higher while excusing it to consumers in a way that seems logical and rational).  It's a mental game they play, because they know people like you exist and will probably overpay simply due to ideology; when cheaper alternatives exist.
    Wtf man...

A job is what everyone should have access to and what everyone should have. Unless they decline the opportunity etc. What's with all this elitism as of late? And if it has something to do with DJ, he sucks as a businessman, ok? He's simply a funny loudmouthed buffoon(I admit that I like him). He shouldn't be a catalyst for anything because if he hadn't a cadre of advisors, he would've crashed his entire legacy in two years max. And you know it.
    then start your bussiness and see how it goes, if you can't find a job you are free to start one, its true everyone is free to do whatever, but notice in doing so no one is forced to do anything, and that means employing lazy people, a job is nothing more then a trade, I pay for your expertize and time, and in trade you make something for me, be it material or intelectual, if you belive your expertize are better paid elsewhere you will move to that palce and not care about the company, in the same end if you are not working the way most inside work you are in risk of being fired and someone else filling the place.

that is not elitism that is what is real world works, you are as valuable as usefull, if you are not usefull you are kicked, and that is on everything, dealing with human beings are always like that, nothing is free
    GdemamiKyleran
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,211
    laserit said:

sure because that don't generate local taxes anyway and local sellers don't profit from selling it, in the end of the day people will buy the cheaper one save for one or 2 who like to yell I support the little men, big corps sell cheaper
    My companies municipal government made 180k off me last year. My company pays income taxes and payroll taxes. My employees and myself pay personal income taxes. Now if I wanted to, I could easily send 60% of my production to China and significantly increase my bottom line. Truth be told I'd rather call it a day and enjoy retirement than do that, it's not what drives me.

Corporation's like Amazon are killing local sellers. Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world, his wealth comes at others expense. The wealth of 10's of thousands concentrated into the wealth of a single person.

Is this good and healthy for our societies? Good for my kids and grandchildren? 

All I can say is that time will tell.
    GdemamiCryomatrix

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 248
    laserit said:

Corporation's like Amazon are killing local sellers. Jeff Bezos is the richest man in the world, his wealth comes at others expense. The wealth of 10's of thousands concentrated into the wealth of a single person.
    People pick on these hugely successful people but the fact is we have competition in our daily lives at an individual level.

If a local contractor gives me 10% off and I use his services that means someone else isn't getting the job.  Is that local contractor predatory?  What percentage of the work does he have to do in order to suddenly become immoral?

Small town Mom & Pop shops run each other out of business all of the time.  We've had Ice Cream wars in my home town now for 5 years - tiny businesses running each other out of town and the churn will continue this summer.  How is Ed Peterson, the guy who just won that war last summer, any more or less moral than Jeff Bezos?

---------------------------------------

People are rewarding Amazon with tons of business because they're doing it better than Kmart, Sears, and dozens of other companies.  I can do shopping at Amazon in 15 minutes that would take me literally an entire day and 6 stops via conventional methods.  

---------------------------------------

The problem, at the very core, is greed.  

It doesn't matter if that greed is in the heart of Jeff Bezos or the heart of the little girl on the corner selling lemonade.

I'm not comfortable calling out someone else on that point as I cannot read hearts and minds from where I'm sitting.
    GdemamiHorusralaseritCryomatrix
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Blizzard needs to spend this year focusing on AAA game development. No big games releasing this year is no problem to me.

If they know 2019 Blizzcon is going to remotely resemble last year’s with no big reveals, cancel it and save it for 2020. I would rather have them take a year off and use all their resources to make console and PC games again.

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Luiden said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    Heartbreaking. I can't imagine wondering and worrying for days without any idea if your job is in peril or not. Rumors are saying it's going to be in publishing and other non-development sectors, but how terrible. My heart aches for them.

Blizzard has long been a staple of job stability in the video game industry. I know people that went to work at Blizzard because of a peace of mind - not having to worry constantly about being let go.

Now that feeling is gone, and there is no safe spot in the video game industry anymore. Its truly terrible that this is happening as it will only result in more devs leaving the industry for good (which has been happening for a while already).

Where have all the C̶o̶w̶b̶o̶y̶s̶ Developers gone?
    To be frank, maybe that actually is the problem with Blizzard.  In my experience employees that feel too safe tend not to innovate, they are content with what they have and sit on it.  Those employees become corporate parasites without even knowing it.  You see this a lot with big companies who have great benefits and pay, they have a revenue stream that nobody dares touch and many employees are just riding that stream.

If you look at Bizzard from a macro perspective what have they done over the past 10 to 15 years?  Once WoW took off they took that revenue stream and stopped innovating and introducing new IPs.  It's actually kind of embarrassing how few games they have put out given their revenue stream, and how few chances they took in terms of introducing new IP and new stories.

So I get that it's a sad day, but just like Sears and many other companies that stopped taking risk they are on the decline... and the saddest thing is they don't have anything in their pipeline to change that.  Diablo Mobile is not going to cut it.      
    At the other end, employees that are constantly afraid of their job aren't innovative either.  In that situation, there's too much energy lost in worrying about their personal futures.  It's not a lower pay grade thing either.  Successful businesses need a balance between fear and complacency; either extreme can cripple a company.  It seems that Blizzard lost control of that balance.

I like the observation about the lack of new IPs.  Blizzard was the uncontested king of coming up with new IPs and developing them with superior presentation and game play.  Something happened to upset the drive that produced that quality.  Players lose again.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,949
    Blizzard needs to spend this year focusing on AAA game development. No big games releasing this year is no problem to me.

If they know 2019 Blizzcon is going to remotely resemble last year’s with no big reveals, cancel it and save it for 2020. I would rather have them take a year off and use all their resources to make console and PC games again.

I have a feeling that WoW Classic is going to be the major focus this year, including at Blizzcon. If WoW Classic isn't a complete shit show when it releases everyone will forget about all of this and be praising Blizzard again.
    Kyleran
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,867
    ...still waiting for photo of that parking lot.
    Xarko
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,055
    Stizzled said:

I have a feeling that WoW Classic is going to be the major focus this year, including at Blizzcon. If WoW Classic isn't a complete shit show when it releases everyone will forget about all of this and be praising Blizzard again.
    I think people are overestimating the importance of WoW Classic an awful lot, its not the savior of anything. It is nice to have and an important piece of fan service but it won’t in any way or shape be the rescue of Blizz.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,153
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

My companies municipal government made 180k off me last year. My company pays income taxes and payroll taxes. My employees and myself pay personal income taxes. Now if I wanted to, I could easily send 60% of my production to China and significantly increase my bottom line. Truth be told I'd rather call it a day and enjoy retirement than do that, it's not what drives me.

Concentrations of wealth in a few does not matter as money is no longer a limited commodity.  As much money exists as the world wishes to generate.  People seem to believe that wealth concentration is a new thing.  It has existed as long as humans have existed.  We are still here.  It is the access to goods and services and the expectation that everyone should have them that has changed.  Go back 70 years and people did not expect to have multiple TV's or even one, but now days people act like it is a right that they have multiple TV's.

Bezos created a means for cheap products and due to current human nature that they believe they deserve everything buying the most for the cheapest is going to win.  Is it good for society...probably not, but are you going to tell you kids that they should settle for less because it helps out the little guys.  Or are you going to tell your kids to get the most they can for each and every dollar they spend?  "Hey Johnny you only have one sock this year and next year I will get you the other because I bought from an expensive local dealer and not Amazon where I could have got you 3 pairs."
    GdemamiKyleranlaseritTimEisenGobstopper3D
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,617
    Well there are a ton of jobs in the sector available right now, and whoever picks them up are going to be damn lucky to have them. Good luck, and God Bless.  
    Wargfoot
  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,949
    lahnmir said:
    Stizzled said:

I think people are overestimating the importance of WoW Classic an awful lot, its not the savior of anything. It is nice to have and an important piece of fan service but it won’t in any way or shape be the rescue of Blizz.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I don't believe it will either, but with no new products releasing this year Blizzard will likely focus a lot of attention on WoW Classic. If it releases and is basically just Vanilla WoW people will again be praising Blizzard for listening to the community and releasing what they wanted.

Personally I don't think Blizzard needs to be saved by anything. They may not be doing as well as they expected, but they're still doing just fine. A little WoW Classic this year, announce a new WoW expac next year, Diablo 4 after that and all of this current hubbub will be completely forgotten.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,911
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Ya know what really kills me about Blizzard, is they have the best.. I mean.. Absolute Best Trailers and Videos for their games.. like ever.. they are funny, engaging, well done, I love them, I don't even play WoW or Overwatch, and yet I have watched all their trailers for both games, a few times over because they were epic.. and yet they still managed to make a shit movie.. I cannot even fathom how that was remotely possible.
    Thats because Blizz did not make the movie , the sold the rights to Duncan Jones to make the movie , who then proceeded to alter Blizzs  original script considerably...
    Still.. amazing how a company that does such great cinematographic could pull off such a horrible movie.. I would also most bet that more people would watch a movie made by Blizzard. Which you know.. could be their next venture, maybe make movies.
    Better call Chris Robert's first, that path didn't work out so well for him.

;)

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,911
    learis1 said:
    Is this thread about genuinely feeling bad for people getting laid off, or is this about pretending to feel that way in order to mask that you're eating popcorn as you watch a ship sink?
    Well that's a rather leading question, and as such I refuse to answer. ..... Uh ... want some popcorn?
    Err, l can bring extra butter if you like 

;)

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,617
    I find it tragic the number of comments attacking the executives and their salary and bonuses. Last I looked this was still a nation where every one of us has the same potential, any of people laid off could have, followed a different education path, worked their asses off  and been one of those executives. People make choices and most of us make the wrong choices, but have we really become so full of hate that we attack and punish the people who make the right choices? Furthermore look at where you are compared to say an Appalachian family raising 6 kids on $15k a year. Those dirty uneducated starving mountain folk feel the same way about you and your $30-50k a year jobs and your college education as you do about these executives. I know I was one of those Appalachian kids, no shoes, crying myself to sleep hungry every night, working from the time I was 8 years old just so my little sisters would have something to eat. Before you go judging others, maybe look in a mirror, maybe judge yourself.  
    lahnmirGdemamiKyleranCryomatrix
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Concentrations of wealth in a few does not matter as money is no longer a limited commodity.  As much money exists as the world wishes to generate.  People seem to believe that wealth concentration is a new thing.  It has existed as long as humans have existed.  We are still here.  It is the access to goods and services and the expectation that everyone should have them that has changed.  Go back 70 years and people did not expect to have multiple TV's or even one, but now days people act like it is a right that they have multiple TV's.

Bezos created a means for cheap products and due to current human nature that they believe they deserve everything buying the most for the cheapest is going to win.  Is it good for society...probably not, but are you going to tell you kids that they should settle for less because it helps out the little guys.  Or are you going to tell your kids to get the most they can for each and every dollar they spend?  "Hey Johnny you only have one sock this year and next year I will get you the other because I bought from an expensive local dealer and not Amazon where I could have got you 3 pairs."
    Income inequality is actually still an issue.  And no, governments don't print money all willy nilly, even if every dollar isn't backed by a physical good.

Individuals making a change isn't going to be seen by Amazon's bottom line.....  That's..  kinda the point people have about these corporations.  It's a singular entity's focused interest balanced against million of disparate entities' interests.  Most folks, with jobs and families, don't even have time to research the total pros and cons of purchasing from a corporation as opposed to a local shop.  That's why we have folks that study the stuff and politicians that are supposed to be using that information to help steer the ship, so to speak.  And all of that is called division of labor.  And none of it makes the detrimental effects of such corporate influence okay, desirable, or best-case.
    Gdemamilaserit

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,388
    Gorwe said:
    Darksworm said:
    Sovrath said:

Wtf man...

then start your bussiness and see how it goes, if you can't find a job you are free to start one, its true everyone is free to do whatever, but notice in doing so no one is forced to do anything, and that means employing lazy people, a job is nothing more then a trade, I pay for your expertize and time, and in trade you make something for me, be it material or intelectual, if you belive your expertize are better paid elsewhere you will move to that palce and not care about the company, in the same end if you are not working the way most inside work you are in risk of being fired and someone else filling the place.

that is not elitism that is what is real world works, you are as valuable as usefull, if you are not usefull you are kicked, and that is on everything, dealing with human beings are always like that, nothing is free
    The world's as fucked up because of people like you. Instead of using amazing tech to help people and to spread wealth around, you people prefer to wallov in bad reality that could've been easily averted. As someone(Einstein?) once said: "All it takes for the evil to win is that people don't react to it"(paraphrase, but pretty close).
    Gdemamicraftseeker