Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard employees crying and hugging in the parking lot

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,965
https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1095374774728048640

"As they brace for today's layoffs, Blizzard employees are crying and hugging in the parking lot, according to a person there."

Man my heart goes out to them. The feeling of the impending job loss is the worst.

Anticipation sucks - especially when the outcome is bad.
gervaise1PhryAmatheSBFordGazoleoalkarionlogSovrathAlbatroesNycteliosKyleranand 20 others.

Comments

• parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    Agree that it would suck to see on the net that they are losing their jobs then just left to wonder for a week.

I feel for everyone of those people and hope they land on their feet soon.  Shame someone like Ion will get to stay but all the lower tier folks are the first ones out.  I understand how this works but doesnt make it any less shitty.
    SBFordGorwedelete5230[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    Heartbreaking. I can't imagine wondering and worrying for days without any idea if your job is in peril or not. Rumors are saying it's going to be in publishing and other non-development sectors, but how terrible. My heart aches for them.
    PpiperNycteliosTyranusPrimenatpickTimEisenAzaron_NightbladeMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 6,398
    Sad to hear this. 
    SBFordNyctelios

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,965
    SBFord said:
    Heartbreaking. I can't imagine wondering and worrying for days without any idea if your job is in peril or not. Rumors are saying it's going to be in publishing and other non-development sectors, but how terrible. My heart aches for them.

Blizzard has long been a staple of job stability in the video game industry. I know people that went to work at Blizzard because of a peace of mind - not having to worry constantly about being let go.

Now that feeling is gone, and there is no safe spot in the video game industry anymore. Its truly terrible that this is happening as it will only result in more devs leaving the industry for good (which has been happening for a while already).

Where have all the C̶o̶w̶b̶o̶y̶s̶ Developers gone?
    alkarionlogSBFordNycteliosGdemamisunandshadowTyranusPrimeTimEisen
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,011
    Like I said I expected this Esports thing to come crashing down on these companies.   So its no surprise that the Esports groups will get laid off.   Anyone who thinks this really would have taken off has no idea about ESports.   How did StarCraft become an Esport back in 1999?   I can tell you it was not because Blizzard was pushing it to be an ESport.  It just naturally happened from players like myself that like the game and ended up having local tournaments on our college campus.  

Now I am sorry to see these employees being let go.  With that said, I think Activision needs to just make me their next CEO.  I would turn that company back into a private company.  I would call in the people that came up with Micro-Transactions into my office and FIRE them right on the spot.  I would fire every manager that was pushing game changes on the game developers because these managers wanted to focus on money not making a good game.  I would fire the managers that pushed the Esports.   I would also move Blizzard out of California to the Mid West to reduce cost.  I would also fire the all the GAMES JOURNALIST companies that tried to push SJW bull crap into the games and any managers I mean Activist hired by the company.  

Then I would push the Game developers to get back to making games without cash shops with a subscription model, focus on the games and making them fun for customers.  NOT making games for shareholders, Activist and want to be Esports people.   I would Also shut down Diablo Immortal and make D4 and refocus the team on making new IPs and new games for current IPs.    
    Gdemamikikoodutroa8Maddog666PemminHatefullTimEisenNordicApache
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,007
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:

Blizzard has long been a staple of job stability in the video game industry. I know people that went to work at Blizzard because of a peace of mind - not having to worry constantly about being let go.

Now that feeling is gone, and there is no safe spot in the video game industry anymore. Its truly terrible that this is happening as it will only result in more devs leaving the industry for good (which has been happening for a while already).

last I know the only place you had any stable work place is if you work for teh goverment, any other place you always have a chance to be fired, so maybe that is the reason for the lazy work lately? I know the goverment have a lot of these
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,831
    edited February 2019
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:

All I know is if these are developers working WoW that have been ignoring their player base for years....I personally don't give a crap. If I suck at my job I get fired too. 

Any collateral damage from Blizzard's arrogant devs and crap decisions, that is who I feel sorry for. The rest...the culprits... I don't care if they ever work in gaming again. Go flip a burger.
    alkarionlogHatefull
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'm not apathetic towards folks getting laid off, but people get canned in droves everyday bee.

The melodrama that follows after game studio layoffs is a bit much. Stop acting like they f#$%ing died.
    SBFordPanther2103ZenislavThaharSwampySackSeidriamspamicusmmoloualkarionlogRexKushmanand 7 others.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm not apathetic towards folks getting laid off, but people get canned in droves everyday bee.

The melodrama that follows after game studio layoffs is a bit much. Stop acting like they f#$%ing died.
    I think it is because the people who should be getting the boot are not.  These will just be grunts and low level management maybe.  People do get canned everyday and I personally feel for all of them as most had little to do with their fate.  But since gaming company and gaming site we are only talking about that.

A good friend of mine works for an auto supplier and because of GM and Ford decisions, 500 people including him are going out the door.  It is a horrible situation as the area he is in, this is the one good paying place around so most will either move or work at walmart.  Sucks all around.
    SBFordNycteliosGdemamiTimEisen
  • LuidenLuiden Member UncommonPosts: 267
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:

To be frank, maybe that actually is the problem with Blizzard.  In my experience employees that feel too safe tend not to innovate, they are content with what they have and sit on it.  Those employees become corporate parasites without even knowing it.  You see this a lot with big companies who have great benefits and pay, they have a revenue stream that nobody dares touch and many employees are just riding that stream.

If you look at Bizzard from a macro perspective what have they done over the past 10 to 15 years?  Once WoW took off they took that revenue stream and stopped innovating and introducing new IPs.  It's actually kind of embarrassing how few games they have put out given their revenue stream, and how few chances they took in terms of introducing new IP and new stories.

So I get that it's a sad day, but just like Sears and many other companies that stopped taking risk they are on the decline... and the saddest thing is they don't have anything in their pipeline to change that.  Diablo Mobile is not going to cut it.      
    iamspamicusalkarionlogKyleranMendelbwwianakiev
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,388
    edited February 2019
    FUCK Croney Capitalism(it's rotten to the core)! Look, I admire Capitalism as an idea, but...Croney Capitalism is literally the worst.

My condolences to the employees. Suits...go and jump off a bridge, will you? /spit
    parrotpholkPanther2103ThaharalkarionlogGdemamiTimukasTimEisenMoirae
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 751
    Meanwhile, Bobby "I'm important dammit" Kotick's salary and bonuses equaling ~$38 million annually are safe. Thank goodness, amiright?
    MisterZebubTimEisen

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,662

sounds to me that you are.
    alkarionlogTimEisen

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,907
    edited February 2019
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:

All I know is if these are developers working WoW that have been ignoring their player base for years....I personally don't give a crap. If I suck at my job I get fired too. 

Any collateral damage from Blizzard's arrogant devs and crap decisions, that is who I feel sorry for. The rest...the culprits... I don't care if they ever work in gaming again. Go flip a burger.
    Now, now, no reason to publically behave like a horses ass and dance over people's graves, all comes around in the end.

;)
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    alkarionlogViper482

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,654

I think it is because the people who should be getting the boot are not.  These will just be grunts and low level management maybe.  People do get canned everyday and I personally feel for all of them as most had little to do with their fate.  But since gaming company and gaming site we are only talking about that.

A good friend of mine works for an auto supplier and because of GM and Ford decisions, 500 people including him are going out the door.  It is a horrible situation as the area he is in, this is the one good paying place around so most will either move or work at walmart.  Sucks all around.
    Here walmart suffered a big big loss (Brazil) so instead of cutting high execs bonuses they just sent floor workers away, people who work on local markets, cashiers and other low salary positions...

Guess what happened? You would go in a walmart and see managers in suits coming from stock with toilet papers to put on the shelves. All because instead of firing some old geezer that receives a lot to come in once a week and see if the store is not on fire they sent away over 10 workers. It was hilarious. As someone who worked there in my early years, it sure made my day watching those high paid supervisors crouching to get something under a shelve wearing gold watches and suits and having to deal with grumpy old ladies who can't find rice.
    parrotpholkGorweThaharalkarionlogGdemamiAeolyn
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,870
    edited February 2019
    Luiden said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:

To be frank, maybe that actually is the problem with Blizzard.  In my experience employees that feel too safe tend not to innovate, they are content with what they have and sit on it.  Those employees become corporate parasites without even knowing it.  You see this a lot with big companies who have great benefits and pay, they have a revenue stream that nobody dares touch and many employees are just riding that stream.

If you look at Bizzard from a macro perspective what have they done over the past 10 to 15 years?  Once WoW took off they took that revenue stream and stopped innovating and introducing new IPs.  It's actually kind of embarrassing how few games they have put out given their revenue stream, and how few chances they took in terms of introducing new IP and new stories.

So I get that it's a sad day, but just like Sears and many other companies that stopped taking risk they are on the decline... and the saddest thing is they don't have anything in their pipeline to change that.  Diablo Mobile is not going to cut it.      
    Unfortunately, innovation is only wanted in corporations like Activision-Blizzard if it can be build on something that is currently making money. Activision's tendrils are too far in to Blizzard, especially with Blizzard's change of leadership. If you research into our boy 'you think you do but you dont' running their ship, he wants things 'guided' so things run 'smoothly' aka gating the fk out of stuff to keep those 'play hours' high and boast about them cause some people are stupid and think high numbers are always good. The downside to all of this is, who is going to take the 'loss' in order to 'save' the genre, because mmorpgs make significantly lower money in the gaming genre unless you monetize it hardcore like SE does with FFXIV. People are QQ'ing about Blizzard releasing 3 cash shop mounts within 6 months when SE updates their cash shop with all kinds of cash shop exclusives monthly.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,148
    Gorwe said:
    FUCK Croney Capitalism(it's rotten to the core)! Look, I admire Capitalism as an idea, but...Croney Capitalism is literally the worst.

My condolences to the employees. Suits...go and jump off a bridge, will you? /spit
    Do you even know what Crony Capitalism is?
    SovrathSwampySackHatefull
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,650
    What amazes me every time something like this happens are the "white knighters" coming out of the woodwork to defend corporate greed.
    alkarionlogGdemamiTimEisen

What amazes me every time something like this happens are the "white knighters" coming out of the woodwork to defend corporate greed.
    And that happened where in this thread?
    HorusraNycteliosSovrathSBFordalkarionlogHatefull
    I don't think there is a one person here defending "corporate greed."

I will say that corporations "are what they are."

You always know where you stand when you are working for a large corporation and there is always the chance of being laid off if the projections are a few more % off than management would like.

but corporations make money. They make money for investors. that's what they do. It's like complaining that water is wet.

But that doesn't diminish the human factor and the sorrow/issues that laid off employees feel.

craftseekerHatefull

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Sovrath said:

If you can't follow 2 simple sentences that's on you.

Again, it blows when folks lose their jobs or income while doing their job. Again, I acknowledge that (RIF) but it's a natural and normal situation in corporate.

I just hope all the folks who find this so absolutely heart wrenching and have Hans Zimmer playing in their brains have a big bottle of Zoloft for outside what's happening outside of game dev studios.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,388
    Horusra said:
    Gorwe said:

Do you even know what Crony Capitalism is?
    Yes, ofc. When Trump the entrepreneur personally knows a minister of architecture(or something) then manages to influence the "free" market. It's when Economy(in a Capitalist form) and Politics mingle, the result is Crony Capitalism.
    alkarionlogGdemamiTimEisenPhaedruslives
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,499
    yet despite this still historical lows in unemployment....
    Sovrath said:

If you can't follow 2 simple sentences that's on you.

Again, it blows when folks lose their jobs or income while doing their job. Again, I acknowledge that (RIF) but it's a natural and normal situation in corporate.

I just hope all the folks who find this so absolutely heart wrenching and have Hans Zimmer playing in their brains have a big bottle of Zoloft for outside what's happening outside of game dev studios.

Their pain is there pain. and yet you judge them because they aren't behaving how "you" want them to. And you belittle how they express that pain. Yet you say that you feel for them. So maybe be clear on the word before you use it.

However,  you are 100% correct in that this is a normal situation in the corporate world. This is why, if I'm laid off by a corporation it's never a big deal. But that's me. And perhaps that's you. But it's possible these people have been working with their coworkers for years and they probably care for each other on top of the uncertainty of being jobless.

So it's more than fine that they express that sorrow and fear in whatever way they see fit.

alkarionlogTimEisen

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,808
    I'm no stranger to the feeling of losing one's job (particularly common in Greece lately). My sympathies to them...
    parrotpholkSovrathThahar