Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At what point do you look up stuff in the game you are playing.

2»

Comments

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 438
    It really depends. If there's a complex puzzle where I have everything I need to solve it and it's just a matter of figuring it out, then I generally won't look it up at all (e.g. Portal).

On the flip side, some games aren't well designed and you're just not finding the clues/pieces you need to solve the puzzle. For example, I'm playing through In Verbis Virtus, and all of the glyphs you can use the command spell to activate are green. Suddenly a puzzle has a white command glyph, and places it in an elevated position where you have no reason to look up and see it. After 10 minutes of not even having a starting point to solve the puzzle, I hit up a walkthrough.
    AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,427
    Update:

I finally beat Subnautica. I probably blew an extra 30-40 hours because I got stuck. But at least I explored the game's mechanics well. 

My first mistake was, when i was investigating an area, i think i forget to pick up everything or I did pick up everything and then I died and re-loaded and in the interim i thought i picked up everything but when i reloaded it didn't save. 

I kind of figured things out after i retracted my steps and searched an area super well to figure out to go back to that place i already checked. 

Then i got stuck again and it was two-fold, i missed finding a well-hidden area on a random search that would have unlocked things. Also, i figured things out by re-reading all the clues and realized that i had made some deduction errors. 

In short, had I sat down and just re-read the clues properly the first time, I may have saved myself a lot of time and effort. 

I'm happy, I didn't look shit up but at the same time, was it worth 30-40 hours? But my base is pretty cool looking. 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,182
    Well my first computer game was MUDs. Guess what, ever since I look up EVERYTHING. Basically I make sure I have a complete solution right at hand, whenever possible.

Because if you have spent days knowing what you want to do, but searching for the right syntax to do it, since these coders, who are native english speakers, had fun with making the syntax you need to use extra hard and give you zero help in finding it, so someone who isnt good at languages and is not a native english speaker is basically unable to progress, ever - you dont really want to repeat that experience.

I really hate those coders by the way. I was so shocked when I first played Baldur's Gate and had no issue to solve the first quest given in under five minutes, easy. I was really expecting another gruesome painful endeavor like in MUDs instead.

AlBQuirky
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,054
    When the fun starts turning into frustration.
    ScotAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee