Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Stock Drops 18% After Investor Relations Call About 'A Difficult Quarter' - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageEA Stock Drops 18% After Investor Relations Call About 'A Difficult Quarter' - MMORPG.com News

EA's investor call took place earlier this week with some surprising admissions from CEO Andrew Wilson. "Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations." While Battlefield V sold 7.3M copies, it was nearly a million units short of projections largely due to the month-long delay of its release. "Unfortunately the release date meant the game launched deeper into a competitive holiday window," Wilson said.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Why did he not say the following: "We failed because we completely neglect our fans and we have a hard time earning back their trust"
    CoolitGdemamiKyleranBlueThunderBearAeanderjimmywolfScotJeroKaneAgent_JosephXarkoand 12 others.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited February 2019
    I'm surprised there was no mention of Belgium and the continuing push back against lootboxes which will clearly effect financials. EA are slippery as ever.
    GdemamiKyleranJeroKanegastovski1
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is coming this fall , thats all i needed to know :P
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Coolit said:

I'm surprised there was no mention of Belgium and the continuing push back against lootboxes which will clearly effect financials. EA are slippery as ever.

When a company can describe the gaming situation in China last year as a nuance, the only consideration Belgium probably got was a short discussion on whether EA should invade and finally establish a "corporate state" futurists often write about.

CoolitTuor7infomatz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Mensur said:

Why did he not say the following: "We failed because we completely neglect our fans and we have a hard time earning back their trust"

Err, perhaps because those really aren't the reasons? Late game delivery, "nuances" in China, the popularity of BR / Fortnite are tangible contributors while the factors you propose had little to do with it. (At least in any way which can be tangibly measured)
    [Deleted User]gervaise1Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Warlyx said:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is coming this fall , thats all i needed to know :P

Exhibit A as to why EA doesn't have to concern itself too much about winning player's trust, all it takes is a new release of a favored IP or series and the money rolls in.

[Deleted User]TyranusPrime[Deleted User]TillerTuor7gastovski1RemyVorenderSabracinfomatzdinogn

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    EA will likely eventually collapse on itself just like Sony Online Entertainment, or be bought out by another company...

Their use of DRM that turns customers away, the decline from the Original Dragon Age, even SWTOR it's just all going sideways for them.

Even Anthem performance wise right now is horrid plus within a few months I believe the game will be dead anyways personal opinion due to what i've seen in the Demo...

I expect it to drop more than 18%
    ShadowStyleBGdemamiOctagon7711infomatz
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Warlyx said:

Yeah if EA is going to die lets get this game published and patched first. Maybe sell the rights off to some franchises so they dont go down with the ship.

Basically they nees to get thwir affairs in order.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Wah they really have a talent for understatements. I hope it gets worse for these loot box companies.
    Gdemami

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Warlyx said:
    That sounds like a bad thing. Bare in mind, the game was announced, without so much as a trailer to its name, at E3 2018. That isn't a long dev cycle.
    Gdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019
    DMKano said:
    Mensur said:

Because it had nothing to do with that - EA has lost fan trust years ago and it made no difference. 

Why? Because masses are a fickle bunch - they will rail on a game company and still play a new game from them (granted the game has to be good enough to buy)

Case in point - Apex Legends - it's an EA title - 1 million players in the first 8 hours.

Do you think masses care about trust and neglect still? 

Majority of those players hate EA... and still they play Apex Legends
    While I get your point, too much is being made of that number by preying on our inability to properly contextualize the number.

1 million is only roughly 0.0008% of the total PC gamer base alone.  It's marketing smoke and mirrors aimed at making it seem like it received a lot more social proof than it actually has.  Considering it's multiplatform, and completely free...  It's actually not that impressive that less than 1% of total gamers merely wanted to try it.  We see a big number and forget that almost one-third of the entire human population could now be considered legit "gamers."

In short, if EA thought Apex Legends would save their bottom line...  How do the kids put it?  "This ain't it, Chief."
    HidekiNomuragervaise1Octagon7711Gdemamiinfomatz

DMKano said:
    Mensur said:

Because it had nothing to do with that - EA has lost fan trust years ago and it made no difference. 

Why? Because masses are a fickle bunch - they will rail on a game company and still play a new game from them (granted the game has to be good enough to buy)

Case in point - Apex Legends - it's an EA title - 1 million players in the first 8 hours.

While I get your point, too much is being made of that number by preying on our inability to properly contextualize the number.

1 million is only roughly 0.0008% of the total PC gamer base alone.  It's marketing smoke and mirrors aimed at making it seem like it received a lot more social proof than it actually has.  Considering it's multiplatform, and completely free...  It's actually not that impressive that less than 1% of total gamers merely wanted to try it.  We see a big number and forget that almost one-third of the entire human population could now be considered legit "gamers."

In short, if EA thought Apex Legends would save their bottom line...  How do the kids put it?  "This ain't it, Chief."
    Right. And of that number, how many are actually going to spend money on the game? 
    MadFrenchieHidekiNomuraGdemami
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited February 2019

Warlyx said:

You mean "Star Wars Jedi:Full with Lootboxes" is coming this fall ?
    Octagon7711gastovski1
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    DMKano said:
    Mensur said:

It’s not how many jumped in during the first 8 hours.  It’s how much revenue does it generate for EA this year.

I can just speak from personal experience and while I have had Anthem sitting in my shopping cart literally for months... I have not pulled the trigger.  Usually by now I would have done so for FOMO, but I think it’s been replaced with FOGS.... Fear Of Getting Screwed.

Octagon7711

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    DMKano said:
    Mensur said:

That's because the game is Free2Play. Will always attract a bunch of freeloaders who keep jumping on the next game for a while, before the next comes along and then they jump over to that.
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    If your first priority about a release date is how you are going to do that quarter, then you are not releasing only when you have a quality game. How long before everything in EA comes out as early access, have to make those quarter figures?

Now you may say they always have an eye to polish and quality, but did he mention that? Did he say that a gaming company needs to hold a title back to make sure it is good enough? Imagine the pressure for BF4 to release early just to make sure he did not have to get up and say the quarter was bad. This time quality won out, next time?

Also look at why they are confident the rest of the year will be good, all franchises nothing new. This is how you stagnate the gaming industry, "we had a bad quarter, stick to the tried an tested, release nothing new."
    Gdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

DMKano said:

Mensur said:

While I agree, I still say vote with your feet. Less hate, more waiting until launch until any money is put in, ignoring demos and so on. EA have been stopped in their tracks before with loot boxes, the consumer always has power just don't over estimate it.
    Octagon7711Gdemami
    I find it weird that a 1 million players trying a free to play game is considered impressive while over 7 million in sales of a $60 game by the same publisher is considered a failure worth dropping stock price over. So which is it?
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Aeander said:
    I find it weird that a 1 million players trying a free to play game is considered impressive while over 7 million in sales of a $60 game by the same publisher is considered a failure worth dropping stock price over. So which is it?
    One of them released without any pr champaign or literally anything at all, is a f2p low budged game. Other one is a high budged game with a huge pr champaign behind it and one of the games which represends EA. One of them is a new game with a huge competition ahaed of itself against the names like Fortnite, PUBG and Blackout and the other one already is a leader in its own genre. One of them sold 7 millions in around 4 months including the preorder numbers and the other one reached 3m players in 24 hours. So which is it?
    Octagon7711Gdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Nepheth said:
    Aeander said:
    One of them released without any pr champaign or literally anything at all, is a f2p low budged game. Other one is a high budged game with a huge pr champaign behind it and one of the games which represends EA. One of them is a new game with a huge competition ahaed of itself against the names like Fortnite, PUBG and Blackout and the other one already is a leader in its own genre. One of them sold 7 millions in around 4 months including the preorder numbers and the other one reached 3m players in 24 hours. So which is it?
    3 million lookie-loos, is all you can really prove with registered users.  That's because it's F2P.  How many you think they would've had if they had placed any kind of box price on it?
    AeanderGdemami

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    if they actually think this was "due to focusing too heavy on the single player content of BF", then they seriously didn't get a shit.

don't sell us your stupid lootboxes. we told ya we don't like it.
    you told us "uh you will like it".

so, how did you like that last quarter? bc we think you liked it, EA.
    CoolitKyleranGdemami

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

I did laugh at them blaming low BF5 sales figures on them having a single player campaign.

Yeah, I'm sure that was the reason, and not that their former CEO arrogantly told customers to "buy it or don't."

EA is a clueless fuckdump of a corporation.
    CoolitGdemami
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2019
    Aeander said:

Yeah, I'm sure that was the reason, and not that their former CEO arrogantly told customers to "buy it or don't."
    I don't get why that gets people so bent out of shape. In the end, EVERY game that is potentially of interest to someone  is "buy it or don't". Don't like the direction it's going? Don't buy it. Pretty simple and something we all do.

I'm no fan of EA but this, out of everything that it's done, is so much ado about literally nothing. I guess people didn't like the fact that he had the temerity to put words to the fact. *le gasp* :D
    Kylerangervaise1tweedledumb99Octagon7711RobbgobbGdemamiinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Burn baby burn
    Nilden
    SBFord said:
    Aeander said:

I don't get why that gets people so bent out of shape. In the end, EVERY game that is potentially of interest to someone  is "buy it or don't". Don't like the direction it's going? Don't buy it. Pretty simple and something we all do.

I'm no fan of EA but this, out of everything that it's done, is so much ado about literally nothing. I guess people didn't like the fact that he had the temerity to put words to the fact. *le gasp* :D
    The effects of such should be apparent, as he was almost immediately let go.

Anyway, as far as EA goes, I will play their games only if those games are of interest to me (which at this point is basically just Bioware offerings). I can't claim to have ever been in the market for Battlefield to begin with, but I know contempt when I see it, and "like it or don't buy it" isn't a statement that did them any favors.
    Octagon7711Gdemami