Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can buy a new Radeon RX 570 for $100 right now

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,088
Here's the card:

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B07MCDNQX2/

@jitter77 pointed it out in this thread:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/479096/amd-r9-270x-2gb-vs-rx-570#latest

I don't often start a new forum thread to highlight a particular deal, but this one is worth highlighting.  Basically, Sapphire built a bunch of GPUs for mining, then cryptocurrency prices tanked.  That probably means that they have a large number of cards that they need to sell to gamers, and that means big price discounts.

That the cards are built for mining does mean that they come with some drawbacks.  For starters, the PCI Express connection is PCI-E 3.0 x8, not x16.  For some (not most) compute purposes, that's a showstopper, but for gaming, it will rarely matter.  It also has only one monitor port, and DVI at that.  So no multi-monitor, no HDMI, and no DisplayPort.  That's also a showstopper for some people.

But if those aren't a problem for you, then it's going to be years before you can get this level of performance in a brand new card for $100 again.  And yes, the cards are new, so you know that they haven't just spent the last year mining around the clock.  That's the life that they were intended for, but then people figured out that Ethereum isn't actually worth much, and so the miners didn't want them.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,398
    edited February 2019
    What would be the Nvidia counterpart for this card? A friend of mine needs a GPU but he only uses Nvidia. This price might get him to consider this AMD card.

EDIT: nvm, he wont be getting that one.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,991
    They also have an 8gb version for only $20 more, looks like it will be on stock on the 10th. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJLZXTH/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B07MCDNQX2
    Quizzical
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,088
    What would be the Nvidia counterpart for this card? A friend of mine needs a GPU but he only uses Nvidia. This price might get him to consider this AMD card.

EDIT: nvm, he wont be getting that one.
    The nearest Nvidia equivalent is a GeForce GTX 1060, which costs a lot more than $100.
    rojoArcueidOzmodan
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,059
    edited February 2019
    RX 580's are running for ~$175. I saw one deal for a 590 for $230 which is good too.

I think this is all part of the excess inventory AMD was referencing in their quarterly statement. 

$100 for a 570 is nice though.. that's a lot of GPU for $100.

Just a shame that it's such a big jump up from these price points.

Asm0deusOzmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    For me, the sweet spot right now for GPUs is the 590.  It outperforms the 1060 for about the same price and is a lot less than a 2060.  For 1080p or 2k gaming it is perfect.