Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1999, the Promise of Virtual Worlds Revisited

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Oxon Hill, MDMember EpicPosts: 3,279
    Sephiroso said:
    I don't Log Horizon was VR.
    Yep, they were playing a VR mmorpg called Elder Tale and something happened during an expansion update to where the people who were online during it got permanently stuck there.
    I am almost certain it was a regular game as they talked about keyboard and mouse.  
    iixviiiix
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix GSMember RarePosts: 1,774
    edited February 6
    Sephiroso said:
    Yep, they were playing a VR mmorpg called Elder Tale and something happened during an expansion update to where the people who were online during it got permanently stuck there.
    I am almost certain it was a regular game as they talked about keyboard and mouse.  
    Then they upgrade it to headset and baam , everyone go to another world XD . Basically there are no VR tech relate on Log H . Just MAGIC

Sephiroso said:

You know what i think you're right on both of those. I gave terrible examples, just grabbed at the easiest thing most would recognize but over the years my memory has blurred and i forgot that you're right in both of those anime's it was mentioned that it was essentially a PC game that they were playing(i remember Subaru crying in front of her pc now).

A better example of what i'm wanting but lesser known due to no anime is a korean novel Overgeared. Players logged onto that vr mmorpg by getting inside of a capsule, their bodies essentially asleep. The game had accelerated time, i believe it was set to 3x the time of irl. So, it was all in  your head basically. Another example of yet another korean novel is Rebirth of the Thief Who Roamed the World, which like the first one i mentioned players would connect to the game via a capsule with no controller whatsoever.
    That level of tech is hax and that will be ban by any government that have enough power to create them . Do you know 3x of time mean ?
    Basically what you said is some thing called full Drive
    Post edited by iixviiiix on
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLMember EpicPosts: 2,711
    iixviiiix said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Then they upgrade it to headset and baam , everyone go to another world XD . Basically there are no VR tech relate on Log H . Just MAGIC

Sephiroso said:

You know what i think you're right on both of those. I gave terrible examples, just grabbed at the easiest thing most would recognize but over the years my memory has blurred and i forgot that you're right in both of those anime's it was mentioned that it was essentially a PC game that they were playing(i remember Subaru crying in front of her pc now).

A better example of what i'm wanting but lesser known due to no anime is a korean novel Overgeared. Players logged onto that vr mmorpg by getting inside of a capsule, their bodies essentially asleep. The game had accelerated time, i believe it was set to 3x the time of irl. So, it was all in  your head basically. Another example of yet another korean novel is Rebirth of the Thief Who Roamed the World, which like the first one i mentioned players would connect to the game via a capsule with no controller whatsoever.
    That level of tech is hax and that will be ban by any government that have enough power to create them . Do you know 3x of time mean ?
    Basically what you said is some thing called full Drive
    Full dive VR tech is likely centuries away, if even.

Creating full dive VR would mean we as a species de facto solved the "hard problem", which may not have a solution despite what Reddit or other various forum neckbeards say.  It is more likely that computer simulations become so advanced and detailed they rival reality itself in terms of attention-worthiness, rather than the simulations mimicking actual reality in every aspect.  Just my 2c.

I really only address it because playing my favorite video game ever on an orientation-sensitive, affordable head-mounted-display is something I'd wanted to do since the early 2000s.  When I heard it was happening, I was elated.  Oh, it's stereoscopic?  Bangin!  Oh, we're... we're calling it Virtual Reality?  Awesome!  Rolls off the tongue more easily than orientation-sensitive-stereoscopic-head-mounted-display I guess, though that's all I really wanted.
    Kyleran

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 131 missions in Vendetta Online

I rather be jacked in than use a headset. 

A VR headset would be a lot more interesting if it was synced to an real life environment.  This would allowing you play in a huge place or even outside and turn something into a huge fantasy land.  
  • SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 2,003

A VR headset would be a lot more interesting if it was synced to an real life environment.  This would allowing you play in a huge place or even outside and turn something into a huge fantasy land.  
    This is the only way i could see VR being more than just gimmicky. If they could sync up everyone's view and positoning to a real life environment, then VR would be amazing. As it is though, meh it's cool but doesn't excite me like full dive does.

If however we were playing say VR soccer(as an example) in an a soccer field sized area/room and the game was syncced to the irl soccer field sized area/room, that would be amazing. Even more amazing if it could have the people playing with you's positioning irl in the VR game that you see too(basically only way to play such a game with other people, otherwise you'd be crashing into each other full sprint).
    Vermillion_Raventhal

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,422
    Full dive VR tech is likely centuries away, if even.

Creating full dive VR would mean we as a species de facto solved the "hard problem", which may not have a solution despite what Reddit or other various forum neckbeards say.  It is more likely that computer simulations become so advanced and detailed they rival reality itself in terms of attention-worthiness, rather than the simulations mimicking actual reality in every aspect.  Just my 2c.

I really only address it because playing my favorite video game ever on an orientation-sensitive, affordable head-mounted-display is something I'd wanted to do since the early 2000s.  When I heard it was happening, I was elated.  Oh, it's stereoscopic?  Bangin!  Oh, we're... we're calling it Virtual Reality?  Awesome!  Rolls off the tongue more easily than orientation-sensitive-stereoscopic-head-mounted-display I guess, though that's all I really wanted.
    Yeah, but that sounds so much cooler. Orientation Sensitive Stereoscopic Head Mounted Display - OSSHMoD.
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlightblueturtle13
    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• craftseekercraftseeker kynetonMember RarePosts: 1,703

As someone has already pointed out that is one of the 'hard' problems. Every individuals neural map is different, even designing that jack is a 'hard' problem, probably impossible actually. You would have to interface with a large number of brain areas, the number and location of these areas will vary to an extent from individual to individual. If this is even possible you are looking at least a century to achieve just the jack. Then there is the volume of the data and the processing it for  transmission, again we don't have systes systems capable of doing that, not even today's super computers. Allow at least fifty years for that. 

No, the sort of experience you are hoping for is going to remain science fiction for at least in our lifetime.

As someone has already pointed out that is one of the 'hard' problems. Every individuals neural map is different, even designing that jack is a 'hard' problem, probably impossible actually. You would have to interface with a large number of brain areas, the number and location of these areas will vary to an extent from individual to individual. If this is even possible you are looking at least a century to achieve just the jack. Then there is the volume of the data and the processing it for  transmission, again we don't have systes systems capable of doing that, not even today's super computers. Allow at least fifty years for that. 

No, the sort of experience you are hoping for is going to remain science fiction for at least in our lifetime.
    I would figure jacks would have to be something used more universally than just gaming.  Like think of a cellphone has games but its application is it's secondary use.

Using being jacked in to view entertainment, virtual classes and offices and a number of other things would come first.  I am sure there would be a lot of resistance to having essentially brain surgery as well. 
  • SephirosoSephiroso Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 2,003

While i think it's more likely you're right in the time frame if it ever becomes possible, i'd just like to note that people said the same thing about a lot of the stuff we have today that many of us take forgranted even. Like our smartphones and what not. People also would have thought that impossible and in the realm of science fiction.
    Palebane

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sephiroso said:

While i think it's more likely you're right in the time frame if it ever becomes possible, i'd just like to note that people said the same thing about a lot of the stuff we have today that many of us take forgranted even. Like our smartphones and what not. People also would have thought that impossible and in the realm of science fiction.
    Actually no, people never said that about 'smart phones', and every example of 'what not' I have ever seen has also been false.

I would figure jacks would have to be something used more universally than just gaming.  Like think of a cellphone has games but its application is it's secondary use.

Using being jacked in to view entertainment, virtual classes and offices and a number of other things would come first.  I am sure there would be a lot of resistance to having essentially brain surgery as well. 
    That is why I separated out the 'jack' from the rest of the problem. You really are trivializing the difficulty of that neural interface with the individual variability of the human brain and the number of quite separate brain regions involved. and it is not "essentially brain surgery", but actual extensive and highly invasive brain surgery, affecting the visual cortex, the auditory cortex, as well as motor centres at the very least. A surgical problem could leave you with a deaf, blind, quadriplegic, with extensive secondary brain damage.
    Phaserlight
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,938
    Kyleran said:
    I was searching the internet and came across this IGN review of Everquest shortly after launch.  

I actually missed it, paying little attention to online games until 2001 or so. Heck, I got most of my gaming news from paper magazines like CGW or PCGamer so probably was a delay of a year or so just to hear about it.  ;)

It's a fun read, and I recalled feeling the authors wide eyed wonder at being in this great 3D virtual world when I first played Dark Age of Camelot.

I also enjoyed this comment, especially as we still struggle with it today despite all of the technical advances.

"Since the first week things have gotten much better and even with all of the problems its still more playable than Ultima Online. This week, as in the beta, the game has rarely suffered from major lag issues now, even on a 28.8k modem"

It seems the promise and wonder is largely gone now, people just play games and no longer desire to inhabit virtual worlds.   

Pity.

https://m.ign.com/articles/1999/03/27/everquest-3
    You say this, but I'm doing that exact thing in Black Desert Online.  Black Desert housing makes it possible to feel apart of a world, I have a house tht is my central point every time I log in; I rarely log out of the game anywhere but at my house; it is my house with usuable furnishing, In town there's markets, inns and other places where I can get items or sell items. From my house I travel across the lands to  fight monsters in untold stories, and then I head back to my 3 story house in Hiedel. For the past few days I've done farming, fishing , gather ' around my central hub" hiedel.  At this very second I'm brewing beer for my workers.

That is where people miss out in Black Desert in my opinion. People who come from games like WoW assume the game is about the epic gear grind grind grind until they hit the soft cap ( and their faces melt of the effort it takes to become epic ), that is only a small part of the game .

If one doesn't get into thew housing in any game, then yes, your view would be correct, but to generals that we are "all" in this lull of mmos is a person subjective opinion, one for which I don't share, at all. 

This year is year 3 for me in BDO
    I'm happy you're enjoying BDO. But for those of us who don't care about crafting, it's a very hollow experience. 
    Kyleranblueturtle13

That is why I separated out the 'jack' from the rest of the problem. You really are trivializing the difficulty of that neural interface with the individual variability of the human brain and the number of quite separate brain regions involved. and it is not "essentially brain surgery", but actual extensive and highly invasive brain surgery, affecting the visual cortex, the auditory cortex, as well as motor centres at the very least. A surgical problem could leave you with a deaf, blind, quadriplegic, with extensive secondary brain damage.
    I didn't trivialize it.  I have come to realize many things we see as future tech and robotics would because death and cancer lol.  

I was just stating that if we did get to that point I doubt people would be getting brain surgery for games.  
    craftseeker

Not only this, but neurons themselves are quite different from a computer.  It's not a binary on/off switch but something alive, with receptors and chemical transmitters.  If you are talking about consciousness then each molecule is likely important.  Add that these are in turn affected by the environment and are chaotic (you will have the uncertainty principle playing a role) the monumental nature of the task becomes apparent.

We have yet to artificially create life, which behaves in all the ways biologists mean.  Even something as simple as a cell.  This would require much more than that.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 31,783

Not only this, but neurons themselves are quite different from a computer.  It's not a binary on/off switch but something alive, with receptors and chemical transmitters.  If you are talking about consciousness then each molecule is likely important.  Add that these are in turn affected by the environment and are chaotic (you will have the uncertainty principle playing a role) the monumental nature of the task becomes apparent.

We have yet to artificially create life, which behaves in all the ways biologists mean.  Even something as simple as a cell.  This would require much more than that.
    Proving at the end of the day, mankind is really nothing more than a bunch of clever tool using apes.

Masters of the universe indeed....
    PhaserlightSteelhelm

"I should run a marathon backwards. So I could see what second place look like" Royce da 5'9"

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 ATM.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Kyleran said:

Proving at the end of the day, mankind is really nothing more than a bunch of clever tool using apes.

always loved you kyleran
    here is.....HE-MAN!!
    REMEMBER, HUMANS ARE SMART! ;) 

Phaserlight
    Kyleran said:

Watch closely:

• wreatchwreatch lakewood, OHMember UncommonPosts: 49
    Kyleran said:

It seems the promise and wonder is largely gone now, people just play games and no longer desire to inhabit virtual worlds.   

Pity.

We have come full circle now.
    KyleranTorval

Do not go into the light

wreatch said:
    Kyleran said:

Pity.

We have come full circle now.
    Sing it Harry....

"I should run a marathon backwards. So I could see what second place look like" Royce da 5'9"

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 ATM.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Asheron's Call. 
    blueturtle13Torval
  • PalebanePalebane Tucson, AZMember UncommonPosts: 3,370
    What about the holodeck in Star Trek? No jacking in, just a huge room as a monitor with holographic images. A couple of barriers still would be 1) Movement: how could a person move through a world without bumping into a wall and 2) Interactivity: seeing and hearing is one thing , but people are going to want to feel the breeze, smell the air, touch the trees and the other people.

Movement might be solved with some kind if floating or treadmill type harness, with the monitor images and holograms doing most of the real movement as the person “floats”in the middle of the room.

Interactivity I can only see being accomplished with either some sort of body suit that could mimic the feeling of walking or touching something or some kind of clever use of air or moving tiles/walls, without having to actually be connected to brain receptors.
    Phaserlightcraftseeker

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,769
    Wow .. people are still nostalgic about this virtual world crap?

This is 2019 .. isn't it? The two big trends (or upcoming releases) are either battle royal games, or loot shooters. Even games like Diablo 3 seems to be old fashion now (witness POE adding all the new ideas to prop up the ARPG genre).

This is now a world that Fortnite, warframe, PoE are doing better than 99% of the MMOs out there, may be except the good old dependable WoW (and even Wow cannot hold a candle to the engagement in Fortnite). 

• LurvLurv Wauwatosa, WIMember UncommonPosts: 400
    Kyleran said:
    I was searching the internet and came across this IGN review of Everquest shortly after launch.  

I actually missed it, paying little attention to online games until 2001 or so. Heck, I got most of my gaming news from paper magazines like CGW or PCGamer so probably was a delay of a year or so just to hear about it.  ;)

It's a fun read, and I recalled feeling the authors wide eyed wonder at being in this great 3D virtual world when I first played Dark Age of Camelot.

I also enjoyed this comment, especially as we still struggle with it today despite all of the technical advances.

"Since the first week things have gotten much better and even with all of the problems its still more playable than Ultima Online. This week, as in the beta, the game has rarely suffered from major lag issues now, even on a 28.8k modem"

Pity.

You say this, but I'm doing that exact thing in Black Desert Online.  Black Desert housing makes it possible to feel apart of a world, I have a house tht is my central point every time I log in; I rarely log out of the game anywhere but at my house; it is my house with usuable furnishing, In town there's markets, inns and other places where I can get items or sell items. From my house I travel across the lands to  fight monsters in untold stories, and then I head back to my 3 story house in Hiedel. For the past few days I've done farming, fishing , gather ' around my central hub" hiedel.  At this very second I'm brewing beer for my workers.

That is where people miss out in Black Desert in my opinion. People who come from games like WoW assume the game is about the epic gear grind grind grind until they hit the soft cap ( and their faces melt of the effort it takes to become epic ), that is only a small part of the game .

If one doesn't get into thew housing in any game, then yes, your view would be correct, but to generals that we are "all" in this lull of mmos is a person subjective opinion, one for which I don't share, at all. 

This year is year 3 for me in BDO
    Much like FFXIV the housing is instanced. Would be nice for people to just walk by and see my place without looking through lists. Imo Archeage, while a very dead game still has the best housing system. Minus the lack of available land on populated servers.

New build in progress.
    Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow .. people are still nostalgic about this virtual world crap?

This is 2019 .. isn't it? The two big trends (or upcoming releases) are either battle royal games, or loot shooters. Even games like Diablo 3 seems to be old fashion now (witness POE adding all the new ideas to prop up the ARPG genre).

This is now a world that Fortnite, warframe, PoE are doing better than 99% of the MMOs out there, may be except the good old dependable WoW (and even Wow cannot hold a candle to the engagement in Fortnite). 

Yeah, yeah, we know, you won...I guess.

:/ 

Back to DAOC freeshard for me....
    Vermillion_Raventhal

edited February 11
    Palebane said:
    What about the holodeck in Star Trek? No jacking in, just a huge room as a monitor with holographic images. A couple of barriers still would be 1) Movement: how could a person move through a world without bumping into a wall and 2) Interactivity: seeing and hearing is one thing , but people are going to want to feel the breeze, smell the air, touch the trees and the other people.

Movement might be solved with some kind if floating or treadmill type harness, with the monitor images and holograms doing most of the real movement as the person “floats”in the middle of the room.

Interactivity I can only see being accomplished with either some sort of body suit that could mimic the feeling of walking or touching something or some kind of clever use of air or moving tiles/walls, without having to actually be connected to brain receptors.
    This is already possible in a fixed space, or at least in the next ten to twenty years.  Google "Holodeck VR"

Well anyway, I was looking for this:

http://theconversation.com/star-treks-holodeck-from-science-fiction-to-a-new-reality-74839

I already play an Augmented Reality game in which certain landmarks or works of art are energy portals that have the capability to influence minds.  This could easily go with something like Google Glass.  A big problem is GPS would have to be far more accurate to render correctly.  However, keep in mind Quest uses inside-out tracking to render a totally virtual world, possibly there could be some sort of "hand off" between the two.

Imagine playing a game of Assassins where you could actually see the weapons your assailant and target were carrying.  These games would normally last weeks, mind you.  Imagine it set in the 1920s.

Heck there could be a nerf-sword-only version set in Edo period Japan.  Cars would appear as mythical beasts.  The rules could be similar to "Highlander".  Imagine getting asked why you carry a katana-shaped nerf sword, patting it and replying "there can be only one".  The Quickening would happen once every year, or maybe once every ten years like Oberammergau.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on
    Palebane