Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless Team Shares a Few Clarifications Regarding the Move to Epic - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageDauntless Team Shares a Few Clarifications Regarding the Move to Epic - MMORPG.com

Yesterday, Phoenix Labs raised a few eyebrows with the announcement that it would be migrating Dauntless to the Epic Games launcher and that the Epic Store would be the exclusive PC platform. After learning that the process to migrate to Epic, players expressed concerns that player information was being shared with Epic without their consent. However, this is not the case and devs have some clarification to offer to players.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    keep that fucking exclusive bullshit nonsense to console please.
    i'm going to boycott anything that ends up exclusive on epic store from now on. they could have exclusivity on warcraft 4 and lineage 3 and i would, with a heavy heart, not buy it from them.
    GdemamiTuor7InteritussamooryesordBakgrindIlayaHidekiNomuraDhamon99necrolockwingoodand 14 others.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    This particular exclusive may do Epic more harm than good. It's a PR black eye for a game that everyone stopped caring out within a month of its launch. 
    BlueThunderBearsamooryesordinfomatzgastovski1alkarionlog[Deleted User][Deleted User]Arskaaa
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I'm curious about how Epic benefits from this. Dauntless is a doomed title with almost no playerbase.

Joined - July 2004

edited January 2019
    I'm curious about how Epic benefits from this. Dauntless is a doomed title with almost no playerbase.
    Maybe they are hoping that it will do well on consoles and smart phones? This is the kind of game that would be at home on the Switch. And let's face it, the combat system is rudimentary enough to work on a smart phone (though I do cringe at the clunkiness of somehow distinguishing left click attacks, right click attacks, charge attacks, and dodge rolls with touch controls).
    [Deleted User]
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    @Suzie Ford - Dauntless is by Phoenix Labs, not QC Games. QC is doing Breech. Make sure the nerd-rage goes to the correct company, please.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    ananit said:
    i'm going to boycott anything that ends up exclusive on epic store from now on. they could have exclusivity on warcraft 4 and lineage 3 and i would, with a heavy heart, not buy it from them.
    I am assuming that means you weed out any games you can only find on Steam, too?
    AeanderTacticalZombehThahargervaise1alkarionlog

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    ananit said:
    How long do people think its going to take for this nonsense "trend" of calling out epic store for exclusive crap is going to last? 

What makes epic store doing what everyone else has been doing to years so special? Guess doesn't help with every news media and youtuber running with this for clicks and views.

I just laugh every time i see some crap like this.... welcome friends, somehow you've woken up and realised something perfectly normal that has been happening for years on launchers like your precious steam launcher lol.
    MadFrenchieLokeroThahargervaise1gastovski1jimmywolfalkarionlogLiljnaCanPantherGinaz

DXSins said:

ananit said:

How long do people think its going to take for this nonsense "trend" of calling out epic store for exclusive crap is going to last? 

What makes epic store doing what everyone else has been doing to years so special? Guess doesn't help with every news media and youtuber running with this for clicks and views.

I just laugh every time i see some crap like this.... welcome friends, somehow you've woken up and realised something perfectly normal that has been happening for years on launchers like your precious steam launcher lol.

what the fuck are you babbling about ?
    there is a difference between EA using origin (or blizz/acti with bnet) to sell their own shit or steam selling games on their store and epic bribing devs to sign exclusivity contracts especially on digital-only goods with no box sales to have a drm-free alternative.
    i can buy my games on steam or gog or even in a box at the store like a caveman but if it's exclusive to epic store i lose those alternatives. do you understand the difference or do you need a drawing ?

exclusivity is not the future of pc gaming and i fucking hope game journalists/influencers get a little more vocal about that or it will be the same as loot boxes and DLCs where they just got along thinking it won't do much harm and boy were they fucking wrong about that.
    makes me miss totalbiscuit even more cause i'm pretty sure he would have been pretty mad about that whole ordeal :'(

Dhamon99infomatzGdemamijimmywolfThahark61977alkarionlogLiljnaGobstopper3D[Deleted User]and 1 other.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    My biggest grip with EPIC is that they are not bringing new choices for us costummers, they are just FORCING us to start using their crappy store if we want to play some games at all. 
    I won't support this agressive approach. 
    Dhamon99SabracinfomatzGdemamiThaharjimmywolfalkarionlog[Deleted User][Deleted User]NordicApache
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    While I don't think any of us are particularly happy with the exclusives thing going on, people need to be reasonable about it.
    Steam has such a massive stranglehold on PC games releases, that to gain any kind of real traction in the market, Epic has to start aggressively to build a foundation of users.

I'm okay with the limited-time exclusives to jump-start their storefront.

The issue will be if it were to continue long-term and replace one strangler with another. 
    I just don't see Epic wanting to throw out millions upon millions of dollars just to bribe developers for a very long time, though.

Personally, I think it's just common sense for them to do what they are doing, even if it's heavy-handed to enter the ring swinging a bat.

The current desperate grasp for exclusives is just Epic trying to build their foundation on concrete instead of sand.

Still, it's all a meaningless waste of time unless they get those consumer-friendly features implemented before the exclusives and year of free games run their course.
    Doctorhoo[Deleted User]ThaharalkarionlogCanPanther
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    So linking is optional. However:

"What happens if I don’t migrate my account?
    Migrating your account is the only way to ensure that all your progress from Dauntless carries over after we launch on console and the Epic Games store."
    infomatzk61977NordicApache
  • NathanPenetrationNathanPenetration Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited February 2019
    Epic needs more games on their pathetic platform since they completely abandoned developing anything that doesn’t have Fortnite in the title. I sincerely hope as a company Epic fails when the 10-14 year olds that play that garbage game move on to getting laid and/or discovering games that aren’t completely idiotic and immature in nature.
    [Deleted User]Aeander
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639

Epic needs more games on their pathetic platform since they completely abandoned developing anything that doesn’t have Fortnite in the title. I sincerely hope as a company Epic fails when the 10-14 year olds that play that garbage game move on to getting laid and/or discovering games that aren’t completely idiotic and immature in nature.

You seem to have some sort of personal gripe with Fortnite. Did someone dance over you after they killed you or something?
    KullusalkarionlogBlueThunderBear

edited February 2019
    What exactly were they going to develop? Paragon was shit (and I say this as a player who understood it enough to start the single most upvoted feedback thread in the history of the Paragon forums) and Unreal Tournament has no future because arenas shooters as a genre have no future.

They haven't abandoned Gears, and it is still an ongoing IP until they say otherwise.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    ananit said:
    I kind of don't really mind this tbh. Its not like consoles at all, with the main issue being a hardware exclusive. Having to DL another launcher is annoying, but it does not restrict any PC hardware nor stop you from playing with friends or anything.

The only thing that did this was VR with Oculus. They stopped you from playing games on any other VR headsets...that pissed me off. I think ive grown used to there being so many store fronts now even if i still mainly only use steam, but again, its just another dumb launcher and you have no hardware restrictions. At worst it will be a minor annoyance, at best it will create real competition for Steam so it makes them do better (and god knows they need to stop slacking) or even lower prices. 

zanfire said:

ananit said:

I kind of don't really mind this tbh. Its not like consoles at all, with the main issue being a hardware exclusive. Having to DL another launcher is annoying, but it does not restrict any PC hardware nor stop you from playing with friends or anything.

The only thing that did this was VR with Oculus. They stopped you from playing games on any other VR headsets...that pissed me off. I think ive grown used to there being so many store fronts now even if i still mainly only use steam, but again, its just another dumb launcher and you have no hardware restrictions. At worst it will be a minor annoyance, at best it will create real competition for Steam so it makes them do better (and god knows they need to stop slacking) or even lower prices. 

tell that to people living in poor countries that won't be able to afford games because epic regional pricings are absolutely not reasonable. we (western european and american for the most part) tend to forget that but some countries have exceptionally low minimum wages (ukraine's for instance is 118 euros/$135 monthly ... let that sink in).
    [Deleted User]Thahar[Deleted User]
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Eh last time I gave those fucktards money at epic they closed the game down I paid for so..not really giving two shits about them nowadays.

I guess they have fn and that's what got them to this point but I need to remind folks Epic games is absolute trash in how they handle anything other than fortnite.

So have fun with that.

Luckily Dauntless is trash too so I don't think this will help them. I mean it didn't help paragons did it?
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I like competition, Valve has become too complacent with their dominance over the pc market and this should incentivize them to improve. That being said, Epic's way of doing things... Idk it just leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth (especially after what epic and deep silver did with Metro Exodus).

I like Epic's "Pro developer" focus, but their methods of bribing left and right gaming companies to get their games exclusive to their platform (while i understand their reasoning for doing so) without offering anything new to the consumer that steam already offers will only create more backlash.

The games they give for free is a start but after subnautica and super meat boy, they really lowered the quality of what they're giving.

They really should rethink their strategy but that's just my opinion.
    velimiriusGinaz
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I share the anger/distrust.
    There are a few problems with this entire process.

1 It is not fair to Epic if they offer a better deal to developers but devs still turn around and use Valve and pay Valve more for doing the same thing.So without thinking of any negatives,this was the right move by Epic,they get something out the deal themselves ,as they should.
    2 The negative side of exclusives is ZERO competition on pricing,they can jack the price up to no ends and both the dev and seller would be happy but consumers screwed over big time.

IMO exclusives are a form of monopoly.A business can ensure with enough money and power to lock up an entire industry and then force prices with no market competition.

It is not likely to ever happen but let's say they get into a war,Valve comes back after losing 75% of it's market and offers 8%,then Epic says 5%,back n forth until one gives in and the other takes over the entire market,aka monopoly.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited February 2019
    Valve so far ahead at this point of time with so many user buying games. Epic is trying even I don't like what they are doing. If this works out for Epic making exclusives just for their store. Just think a new store launcher popping all over the place with money to spend to take on the steam pie with exclusives.
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134

Sabrac said:

I like competition, Valve has become too complacent with their dominance over the pc market and this should incentivize them to improve. That being said, Epic's way of doing things... Idk it just leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth (especially after what epic and deep silver did with Metro Exodus).

I like Epic's "Pro developer" focus, but their methods of bribing left and right gaming companies to get their games exclusive to their platform (while i understand their reasoning for doing so) without offering anything new to the consumer that steam already offers will only create more backlash.

The games they give for free is a start but after subnautica and super meat boy, they really lowered the quality of what they're giving.

They really should rethink their strategy but that's just my opinion.

according to some people who went over there to claim the games, they said that the games were removed from account if they were not previously installed.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I can see at least some short term opportunities for Epic to make more money here.

For the Dauntless devs, having their game on the Epic Store will greatly increase their game's visibility, more so than it would on the Steam store. Epic's store has a small volume of games, so it won't get drowned like it would in Steam.

Epic also has a pretty massive playerbase, across platforms (like Dauntless is aiming to be), and Dauntless is free so it's bound to attract a fair amount of players who might be curious about the game and willing to spend some money too. Now whether they keep playing for longer than a week, well that will depend on the developers I suppose.
    GdemamiBizkitNLThahar[Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Wizardry said:
    I share the anger/distrust.
    There are a few problems with this entire process.

1 It is not fair to Epic if they offer a better deal to developers but devs still turn around and use Valve and pay Valve more for doing the same thing.So without thinking of any negatives,this was the right move by Epic,they get something out the deal themselves ,as they should.
    2 The negative side of exclusives is ZERO competition on pricing,they can jack the price up to no ends and both the dev and seller would be happy but consumers screwed over big time.

IMO exclusives are a form of monopoly.A business can ensure with enough money and power to lock up an entire industry and then force prices with no market competition.

It is not likely to ever happen but let's say they get into a war,Valve comes back after losing 75% of it's market and offers 8%,then Epic says 5%,back n forth until one gives in and the other takes over the entire market,aka monopoly.
    We are a long way indeed from that though - as you suggest - since "the market" in this case is not so much "Dauntless" as "video games". Of which there are thousands to choose from, multiple platforms to run them on - PCs (and Macs etc), consoles, android devices - and several retailers (GoG, Google, Steam, Apple, Humble Bundle, Amazon, GoG etc.)

A single game on a single platform in one part of the world means, as you say, its never likely to happen.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500

ananit said:

I am assuming that means you weed out any games you can only find on Steam, too?

I get where you are going with this but for the life of me I can't never remember a title being a steam exclusive. There may have been some here or there but I just can't remember anything worth my time to look at. Almost ever major game I bought from them was also on other sites such as GOG, ect...

This whole idea of exclusive crap is a problem for everyone. Just look at the crap they do on consoles these days. Oh you want this game you have to buy this console ect... Oh you want this game you have to download our partners store. Now a year later we have decided to make our own store. Now 10 years down the road every single developer launches every game on their own store where you have to have their own launcher running just to play games.

I will stick with the one I already have installed that I leave running that updates all the games I play without me having to worry about it. Not going to have god knows how many launchers running just to keep games up to date myself. Ever go to play a game to see oh you need to download that latest 4 gig patch, you can play tomorrow since you only had a limited time to play today.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]zaberfangx[Deleted User]
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    ananit said:
    Could you list some exclusives on steams that are not made by the company itself? That might help as I have never heard or seen of such occurrence,
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]