Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless to be an Epic Games Store Exclusive on PC - MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ginaz said:
    Ginaz said:
    Gdemami said:
    Ginaz said:
    Except there is no such thing as a "Steam exclusive". Steam doesn't pay a developer to only have their game on Steam like Epic does. Developers are free to sell their game on other online stores, like GoG, in addition to Steam.
    So when the game is Epic store exlusive, it is paid by Epic but when the game is Steam excluisve it is "just a decision" of game developers therefore not exclusive. 

Just...wow...
    Steam doesn't pay to make a game exclusive to Steam like Epic does.  You'll see many games on Steam available on other platforms like Good Old Games.  Steam has just been the de facto place to sell digital PC games for years now because there really hasn't been anywhere else to buy them, esp. smaller non-AAA titles.
    You will also see many games with the "Only on Steam" tag.  In the end, it means exactly the same thing to you: you gotta go one place to get it and one place only.
    Again, Steam isn't buying off these developers with sweetheart deals like Epic is.  They're free to sell their games wherever they want.  You'll see many of games being sold on both Steam and GoG.  Steam is good way for indie developers to get the kind of exposure and customer support that they can't afford on their own plus it's an added layer of protection against piracy and hackers (limited protection, but some at least).

As soon as Epic starts coming to close to offering the same customer experience that Steam does, then I'll gladly buy from them.  However, Epic currently offers exactly jack and shit compared to Steam for customers and coupled with how Epic is conducting themselves atm makes me not want to buy anything from them.  There's plenty of great games that will be available elsewhere
    You literally tried to excuse these games that are only on Steam as analogous to exclusives by tacitly implying they aren't actually only on Steam.  That's a poor argument, and it's patently false.

Epic is already moving to improve their store.  Your argument is literally amounting to Epic not being above and beyond Steam at its initial release, ignoring Steam didn't release with all the features it currently has.
    Gdemami

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    edited February 2019

You literally tried to excuse these games that are only on Steam as analogous to exclusives by tacitly implying they aren't actually only on Steam.  That's a poor argument, and it's patently false.

Epic is already moving to improve their store.  Your argument is literally amounting to Epic not being above and beyond Steam at its initial release, ignoring Steam didn't release with all the features it currently has.
    I'm not going to argue with you about "exclusives" anymore because its clear you and I have different interpretations what that means in relation Steam.  Epic has had plenty of time learn what has and hasn't worked for Steam over the past 15+ years.  That they chose to launch their store with bare bones features while trying to compete with Steam is all on them.  It's not like they couldn't afford to at least try.  I'm not really keen to do business with a company that appears to give zero fucks about customer accessibility and convenience when compared to their competition, esp. one that makes billions and billions of dollars. 

Seemingly the only way Epic can compete with Steam is by paying off developers to use their store.  Again, if Epic can un-shit their bed and improve their store then I might buy from them in the future.  Until then, their store is Gunk and I don't like their questionable business tactics so I won't be purchasing anything with them.  Choices.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited February 2019
    Ginaz said:

EDIT- oh, and Epic has also confirmed they're working on offline functionality.  In short, guys: whoosah the fuck out while Epic makes or breaks the store on its own through issues that actually mean something a little bit more significant to you as a gamer than "click this little icon instead of that little icon."
    A company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a month has no excuse whatsoever to not launch their store that wants to compete with Steam with nearly zero of the features it's main competitor has.  It is inexcusable.  Lets be honest, the only reason these developers are signing up with Epic is NOT because it's going to be better for consumers but because they think it's going to be better for them.  Epic's store and services are infinitely worse in every way possible than what is available to customers on Steam.  That's not even debatable.  The number of games available atm with Epic is pitiful but the kind of deals Epic is giving developers is not sustainable long term and certainly not with as many gaming companies that sell on Steam.
    It takes time, not just money, to add features to software.  This is my speculation, but I suspect that having an Epic games store trying to compete with Steam wasn't even their plan until they saw how successful Fortnite was and thought that they could leverage the large install base from that into something to take on Steam.

Now, if Epic hasn't added much in the way of features to their store a year from now but is still paying developers for exclusive titles there, then you'll have a fair complaint.  But I don't think that's going to happen.

Think of what you can use now as the early access version of the Epic games store, with all that that entails.  Including a stance of refusing to use a games store in early access that you'd be totally okay with using once it is more fully featured.
    Gdemami
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2019
    Quizzical said:

Think of what you can use now as the early access version of the Epic games store, with all that that entails.  Including a stance of refusing to use a games store in early access that you'd be totally okay with using once it is more fully featured.
    Haha... Early Access store. Why not?

Not poking fun of Quiz, what he's saying is just honest truth. The funny part is that it perfectly reflects the state of gaming today.

On an aside... Ok, Epic has Unreal engine, and can certainly afford to easily subsidize games on Unreal engine (which they are doing). And Unreal is huge, it has a very large base of developers using it.

Valve has Source, which hasn't really seen a lot of movement lately, apart from a push in recent years to have a large Linux port. Source at one point was also one of the top game engines, but just hasn't really kept up with development. As far as I know, they are still on Source 2, which has been the current revision for the past several years, with only minor revisions/iterations.

I guess UE4 has been around about as long as Source2 has... in all fairness. UE also has ports to iOS and Android.

But seems like if you are also selling a gaming engine and all that goes along with that -- offering your developers a storefront isn't much of a stretch. And that's how Steam got started, after all. Epic is just a few years late to the party, but having a larger used engine, is poised to make a good run at it if they continue investment into it.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Quizzical said:
    Ginaz said:

EDIT- oh, and Epic has also confirmed they're working on offline functionality.  In short, guys: whoosah the fuck out while Epic makes or breaks the store on its own through issues that actually mean something a little bit more significant to you as a gamer than "click this little icon instead of that little icon."
    A company that makes hundreds of millions of dollars a month has no excuse whatsoever to not launch their store that wants to compete with Steam with nearly zero of the features it's main competitor has.  It is inexcusable.  Lets be honest, the only reason these developers are signing up with Epic is NOT because it's going to be better for consumers but because they think it's going to be better for them.  Epic's store and services are infinitely worse in every way possible than what is available to customers on Steam.  That's not even debatable.  The number of games available atm with Epic is pitiful but the kind of deals Epic is giving developers is not sustainable long term and certainly not with as many gaming companies that sell on Steam.
    It takes time, not just money, to add features to software.  This is my speculation, but I suspect that having an Epic games store trying to compete with Steam wasn't even their plan until they saw how successful Fortnite was and thought that they could leverage the large install base from that into something to take on Steam.

Now, if Epic hasn't added much in the way of features to their store a year from now but is still paying developers for exclusive titles there, then you'll have a fair complaint.  But I don't think that's going to happen.

Allowing developers to chose whether or not they'll have player reviews is a big concern to me.  If a developer doesn't allow reviews then that tells me they have no confidence in the quality of their game.  That's just one of the many missing features that will certainly take more than a year to implement.  I also don't think even Epic can sustain the financial deals they've been giving to developers over the long haul. 

As you said, if they improve the customer experience with their store then I might buy something from them in the future.  As it stands, there's nothing on the Epic store that interests me atm anyway except for maybe Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, but I can wait a year until they'll be back on Steam.
    Gdemami

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.