Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats up with the graphics?

giovanogiovano Member Posts: 14
Alright I've been reading several interesting post topics about the graphics, but i'm still confused. Is it that on there computers when they do the screen shots there set low? Or is it that they will improve the graphics after its release? In my opinion it would be a piety if this great game came out with the graphics their showing us now.  So if anyone can give me a answer it would be nice

Comments

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656

Wonder how many of these topics will get started before people actually read around.
    I mean, KFR has a comment on this very topic as one of the NEWS items on the front page of the site...

It states:

Don't worry - there are of course more faces and there will be many more before the test has finished.  Remember we don't do screenshots like most developers do.  These are not carefully selected screenshots intended to show off - these are just grabs of what we've been doing recently.  image

So if you don't see something in the pics that doesn't necessarily mean we haven't got it. image

-KFR

Now you can speculate whatever you want about the look of the game at release. Whoever says whatever is pretty well guessing.

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.

• horneyhorney Member Posts: 91

Well, it has been said that the graphics are switched on low in the test because it will be one of the last things they test, after all the main game features have been tested they will test the less important stuff.

So chances are the graphics will be much better in the release of the game, even though i dont know what youre talking about because i think the graphics look fine as they are. If they were too good then the game would run slowly on most peoples PCs, which isnt good for the large-scale battles and stuff. Dont forget graphics isnt the main thing in the game, that comes last to everything else such as playability and fun.

Horney!
    I love you!
    Bye Bye!

• djpearcedjpearce Member Posts: 38

What is the obsession with graphics?

I, for one, will be playing the game purely because it seems to be unequalled in terms of gameplay by any other MMORPG.

The graphics from the pictures seem fine to me, I'm glad there efforts have gone into making the game great not making it look pretty.

• GavalinGavalin Member Posts: 6

Eh the graphics will probaly remain close to what we see now except with better character variation. Red Balam is not going for Wow! graphics but for Wow! Gameplay. Plus they don't have alot of money to spend on something optional like graphics. I'm not sure how much they've spent on the game but I don't even think it was close to 1 million.

• SiphonsSiphons Member Posts: 445

Originally posted by Gavalin
    Eh the graphics will probaly remain close to what we see now except with better character variation. Red Balam is not going for Wow! graphics but for Wow! Gameplay. Plus they don't have alot of money to spend on something optional like graphics. I'm not sure how much they've spent on the game but I don't even think it was close to 1 million.

rofl, I thought you meant world of warcraft at first, and I was like 'oh no' ::::18::

---------------------------------------
    All you friggin suburban white kid wannabe poobutts that are in love with G-Unit are sad and pathetic. Find your own identity ::::28:: -Anarchyart

• firemagicfiremagic Member Posts: 878

I agree that graphics aren't the most important facet of a game - gameplay is - but they're still important for creating immersion and atmosphere.

I don't doubt that RV's graphics will improve, but it currently looks wooden and passionless. Should be interesting to see how it develops.

• Mikey0114Mikey0114 Member Posts: 310
     I agree with Firemagic about graphics....they help appreciate a game more!! But they are not everything, they just compliment it. Anyway put that aside....some of us have seen a picture or 2 that are at high quality. I was really impressed. It seems they are giving us mainly screenshots of low lvl graphic qualities because thats what they are doing their tests with. And my guess would be because in a beta test you are bound to encounter FPS problems in multiple locations.
  • KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Yup, you're getting screenshots of stuff actually happening in the test.  Not screenshots that are pre-planned, set up with NPCs posed in just the right fassion to look like they're moving, settings on high, and airbrushed to perfection.  image

You see it how it is.  image

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• ShrikumarShrikumar Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by firemagic

I agree that graphics aren't the most important facet of a game - gameplay is - but they're still important for creating immersion and atmosphere.
    I don't doubt that RV's graphics will improve, but it currently looks wooden and passionless. Should be interesting to see how it develops.

Well spoken. I totally agree with you, firemagic. I do not wish to attack the graphics but merely side with a concern that the current public display will turn away potential players. Let us face facts the community overall is very fickle and will judge this book by its cover. I think it is accurate to call the graphical quality passionless ...but I do believe that the developers could quiet the trolls (at least to some degree) if they showed their graphics more fleshed out.

If we are to believe the September 30th release date as accurate (and I hear that it is in question) I think most would not have high hopes based on the company presentation of their own project. However, I do believe in what they intend to do and have faith that they are capable of impressing those who have none. They probably have their reasons and it is their choice to be sure. I have the patience to wait for better screenshots, as do others here ...but the majority do not. Unfortunately.

Originally posted by Shrikumar

If we are to believe the September 30th release date as accurate (and I hear that it is in question) I think most would not have high hopes based on the company presentation of their own project.

The official "date" is this fall.  There is no month/day that has been announced.

- Kanoth

• thi-sjithi-sji Member Posts: 4

hmmm... about the graphics well....

It ain't the most beatifull game, but I dont think you can decide if a game is ganna mess up by his graphics :P for example:

Tibia: this game has veerryy baaad graphics (no sound at all:P)... But still lots of players play it longer then any other game. It as a good RPG and a good Ecomonic system (Ecomonic is not a argument for RV btw) Its really fun to play.

On the other hand:
    KAL online. for a free game good graphics... But no fun at all. everbody can plays for himself. Not a community at all... the first 20 lvls are complete waste of time.

So you can't jugde a game on his graphics.

The game can mess up tho... but it wouldn't be of the graphics. Cuzz real RPG/MMORPGers dont look at them. And based on what I saw of gameplay and RPG on their site this game would be lots of fun. Just take a look at the skill section :S there aint no MMORPG I ever saw, who had that much Skills to master. Also a complete new kind of combatinterface...

• darby77darby77 Member Posts: 6

OMGimage

This is from the skills list page:

"What you will find here: A snapshot of the live skill tree taken from the current GOCaT test.

What you won't find here: A complete and accurate list of the skills that will ultimately be available in Roma Victor."

In other words, expect that list to grow.image

- Kanoth

• ChiboJChiboJ Member Posts: 11
    Since it seems extremely rare these days for a MMO develoeper to release their game on schedule they probably feel they have plenty of time to upgrade the graphics. The "official" date of release is in the fall as Kanoth mentioned, so the game might ship even into the first of the winter months. I would love to see better screenshots, too. And we will eventually.
  • BestiusBestius Member Posts: 52

Graphics arent everything, the soul of the game is in the gameplay, and WoW got that too late..

Roma Victor's graphics will improve, they still have some time. And The graphics are turned on low as well.

I should smite you with the rat flail.

Im not anti social, im just pro solitude!

• Land_SharkLand_Shark Member UncommonPosts: 52

Given the level of technology available these days; and given what other smaller developers have been able to achieve with their graphics engines - there is absolutely no reason that any game released now or anytime in the future should have anything less than outstanding graphics, in addition to outstanding gameplay.

If it doesn't have outstanding graphics which will utilize the full extent of my high-end (to me) graphics hardware, then it will not receive my gaming dollar, it's that simple.

It should, of course, be able to be scaled back at the end-user's option to be able to run on lesser machines.

Anybody who thinks otherwise is just making excuses.

• ErmacErmac Member Posts: 103

RV only has about 20 people working on it and the graphics are turned down because that is not what they are currently testing.