Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Court documents reveal Facebook targeting children for whale spending.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Kyleran said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Facebook execs don't want their own kids using Facebook. That's pretty telling.
    After reading this article I think it's time I delete my Facebook account.
    Do it.  So long as people keep using Facebook and keep letting Facebook make money off of them no matter what the company does, they have no reason to behave.  If they expect that abusing customers will cause 90% of their users to quit, then they'll figure out how to behave themselves remarkably quickly.
    MadFrenchiePhrySpottyGekkoKyleranMendel
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    No no, keep on using Facebook. By all means, keep at it. There's nothing wrong. It's totally a bunch of l-cucks, lw sissies complaining about it which means do the complete opposite of what is being said. Facebook good.
    Phrykikoodutroa8KyleranPhaserlight
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    How morally bankrupt are we?

This shit needs to go prime time.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    A bit more rules and regulations from governments would do a lot to protect consumers. Of course most people want as little interference as possible and defend that sweet, sweet freedom to get screwed over by the more powerful again and again. If you want proof go check the Jagex thread....

If more gasoline is needed for this fire, please contact me  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I really don't need to be influenced,i know there is a lot of garbage going on behind closed doors.

This is why i do not use facebook/twitter/reddit/ or even that Discord.
    All of them are tied together,the cookies go back n forth,they share data all of it is to get super rich,millionaires..billionaires.

This is going on all over the world not just in gaming,times are changing and real fast and really for the worse.

What bothers me is that people just seem to walk around like they live in bubble,no clue what is going on out there.Then i get some that say "who cares,we can't do anything about it".This is why is just keeps getting worse,not enough care or law to make people accountable.Even within laws there are loopholes left open for scummy businesses to exploit.
    All people need to do is pay attention,say something,eventually if enough hits the press,word of mouth,action begins to happen.

These people love their money,if enough bad press hits mainstream,they lose their cash cow and hits them hard where it matters.Like if everyone just STOPPED and said screw you Facebook,it would be a great start to moving in the right direction but all these young kids think it is cool,oh look at me,i have 500 people on my friends list.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    anemo said:
    You're right it is interesting.   Though the article I offered seems to have dug deeper into the released documents than BBC.
    That's not a first. :)
    Phry
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I mean, pop rocks have been targeting children and I'm pretty sure that over time, pop rocks will kill you.
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
      Sorry man , the parents involved are just as culpable , you should know exactly where and when your CC is being used , there lack of financial responsibility led to this .. Not Facebook or the Kids
    As noted in the article, often parents thought they were making one time purchases for their children and didnt realize (and likely did little to make it clear) their CC numbers were being "remembered."

If a person isn't really saavy with how MMO subs work they might not understand what they got into.

A friend of mine who is not a computer illiterate ran into such an issue until she caught on to this sort of practice. Fortunately she didn't lose much before stopping it.

The mobile game industry is rife with this sort of thing and the practice is predatory at best, criminal at worst.

They didn't self name it as "friendly fraud" for no reason.

Lets look at this a different way. If as a parent you know this is going on are you going to say no to any internet transactions for your child? That's why I think parents need to take a share of the responsibility, they know how dodgy the internet is yet allow kids online unsupervised.
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
      Sorry man , the parents involved are just as culpable , you should know exactly where and when your CC is being used , there lack of financial responsibility led to this .. Not Facebook or the Kids
    As noted in the article, often parents thought they were making one time purchases for their children and didnt realize (and likely did little to make it clear) their CC numbers were being "remembered."

If a person isn't really saavy with how MMO subs work they might not understand what they got into.

A friend of mine who is not a computer illiterate ran into such an issue until she caught on to this sort of practice. Fortunately she didn't lose much before stopping it.

The mobile game industry is rife with this sort of thing and the practice is predatory at best, criminal at worst.

Lets look at this a different way. If as a parent you know this is going on are you going to say no to any internet transactions for your child? That's why I think parents need to take a share of the responsibility, they know how dodgy the internet is yet allow kids online unsupervised.
    I mean, of course it's the parents responsibility. How embarrassing it must be to input your credit card information for your kid and not notice there are either recurring payments or that their credit card information is saved. 

Also, in my opinion at least, why are you teaching your kids that it's normal to buy cosmetics or boosters in a video game? You are basically teaching them to burn money so that their online egos feel good about stupid shit that doesn't matter.
    ScotGdemami
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Always fascinating to see how different news outlets report events, lol

Sometimes the spin is so intense that you're left wondering if they're even reporting on the same event !

For instance, in the BBC's version of this story, FaceBook launched an internal investigation when the maker of Angry Birds complained about a high level of chargebacks.
    They identified the source of the problem: Unauthorised in-app purchases by minors !
    Facebook's programmers then offered a few suggestions to management, which would have significantly reduced the chance of those purchases occurring...

HOWEVER, Facebook's management declined to act, because "it would negatively affect revenue" !

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46998055

In our wonderful modern world, you can even select your own version of the "truth", lol
    You hit the nail on the head here, at least for news sources in the US at least.  I have gotten to the point now where if I don't see the same things said from different news sites that lean different ways I don't believe a word of it.  Today's main stream media are not news programs they are entertainment networks.  It's really easy to tell when something is a lie if both sides are not saying the same thing then both are lying and telling their own self thought truths instead of the real truth.  That is the world we live in today, which is extremely sad.
    Gdemami
    k61977 said:
    It's really easy to tell when something is a lie if both sides are not saying the same thing then both are lying and telling their own self thought truths instead of the real truth. 
    Why do you think there are only 2 sides at all? That's a really weird point of view. The truth isn't dependent on "sides."
    SBFordGdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    anemo said:
    You're right it is interesting.   Though the article I offered seems to have dug deeper into the released documents than BBC.
    The BBC is notorious for its misinformation, so much so that it is something of a shock to discover they have actually engaged in factual reporting, not surprising though that the BBC's reporting would not be too in depth, only that it bore any relation to the truth. Its worth bearing in mind that as a source of world news and politics, the BBC is generally speaking, not. ;)
    Gdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I agree there should have been parental restrictions.

However what does the "Terms OF Service" of facebook say in regards to,

- storing of billing information
    - in-app purchases
    - and are they required to actually change and add parental controls because of parents who have no control over their kids?

Though I agree restrictions should be in place legally whose fault is it really?
    Gdemami
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Facebook execs don't want their own kids using Facebook. That's pretty telling.
    After reading this article I think it's time I delete my Facebook account.
    I'm thinking of doing the same.  Not because of this article..  But because I'm becoming more and more convinced that social media is not the boon to societal interconnectedness so many assumed it would be when it exploded.
    Social media is not "evil" by nature, it was a great idea in principle !

However, as an unregulated form of communication, it stumbles...

Companies, special interest groups, activists, lobbyists, politicians, intelligence agencies and every Joe with an axe to grind quickly realised that social media allows unprecedented opportunities to manipulate public opinion...

I mean, all those comments and opinions and "likes" are being generated by "real people", aren't they ? Yeah, riiiight...
    Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited January 2019
    I think people are looking at it from wrong perspective.

We can learn from that case that 91% of all FB transactions are legitimate and there is actually less than 9% of irresponsible parents leaving their CC accessible to their minors! 
    SpottyGekko
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    H0urg1ass said:
    When I was working on my MBA, one of the first classes I took was a business ethics course.  For one of our first papers we were asked to write what our version of an ethical business would look like.

Somewhere in my conclusion I wrote "When the investors, shareholders and, most importantly the customers, find out about any decision you make, will they think it's unethical?  Notice that I didn't' say "if".  You have to act as if every phone is bugged.  Every computer is hacked and every meeting is recorded.  If you act in that manner, and always ask yourself "What happens when", then you will never find your name rightfully being slandered in front of the world."

The problem with some of these tech and social media companies, is that they are run by people who were catapulted into sudden and swift success before they had a chance to learn any of this.  They're so young and so hungry to hang onto success that they don't stop to ask "What happens when..." often enough.

"What happens when our users find out that we knowingly allowed their kids to make purchases without blocking them, informing their parents immediately or taking any kind of active precautions?"  That simple question, if asked, should have put a lump Zuckertards throat as soon as he asked it, but he didn't.  Either that or he's a sociopath... and the Jury's still out on that.
    I work for someone younger than me, and I do have an MBA; I agree with your post 100%.  I see him sometimes make moves that are... well... shady, but he is my direct superior in the office.  It's a difficult position to be in.  He comes from Wall Street, so his success is more by way of the school of hard knocks than academia, so to speak.  I worry sometimes that the decisions and approach of the ones I work for are seeping into me.  It's exactly the type of thing we studied in Business Ethics and Leadership.
    Gdemami

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited January 2019
    Phry said:
    Scot said:
    anemo said:
    The BBC is notorious for its misinformation, so much so that it is something of a shock to discover they have actually engaged in factual reporting, not surprising though that the BBC's reporting would not be too in depth, only that it bore any relation to the truth. Its worth bearing in mind that as a source of world news and politics, the BBC is generally speaking, not. ;)
    The sad fact is over the last twenty years all broadcasters have moved from putting story before the truth in their news. They have adopted the methods of the tabloids which they still sneer at and social media which they have a schizophrenic relationship with.

I can remember news journalists at the beeb having a laugh about the campaigns that the tabloids were always running, now they are always running a social campaign of some sort. I can remember Sky and other journalists querying the methods used on tabloid websites (they still do) but if you look at their websites with all the imported from social media items and click bait they are becoming harder to tell apart.

Broadcasting is still the gold standard of news journalism, but that statement does not mean what it used to as they have moved ever closer to those of a lesser standard.

Today you investigate until you have your story, no further. You can always follow up with further "revelations" in a later piece. This is a device the tabloids have used for I don't know how long, today it is part mainstream TV media. Posters may well have noticed how the he said/she said mentality of Twitter is now how TV news articles are often presented. You don't investigate to try to find out the truth, you report what they said, peoples reaction and wait for the next comment.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited January 2019
    H0urg1ass said:

"What happens when our users find out that we knowingly allowed their kids to make purchases without blocking them, informing their parents immediately or taking any kind of active precautions?"  That simple question, if asked, should have put a lump Zuckertards throat as soon as he asked it, but he didn't.  Either that or he's a sociopath... and the Jury's still out on that

loooool. you guys are amazing. love how you try to blame companies here.
    for the record, not their fault people don't have time to raise their kids anymore.

pretty simple. it's not his (zuckerberg's) responsibility to educate and raise everyone kids. 
    but hey, hf blaming everyone else for your failures. seems legit.

"what happens if my kids take my wallet, and buy a whole truck full of sweets?" yep, blame haribo, sure sure.
    "what happens if my kids drink my alc?!" you ever asked that question to jack daniel's, after your kids found your stach?
    "what happens if my kids shot someone with my gun?" did someone ask that lately when those kids tured up at school with their parents weapons? must be smith & wessons fault, or maybe lockreinhard's, ait?

there is a fucking reason you HIDE the entry when entering your security code ffs....
    now try to find someone else for your parent's, your kid's, or maybe even your own failures.

KyleranGdemami

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Actually that is the solution my friend took, stopped letting them sign up for any games which required more than a single purchase and she definitely said no to anything requiring recurring charges. 

She even checked with me before letting her 16 year old son play EVE and I warned her what world he was getting in to.

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Renoaku said:
    I agree there should have been parental restrictions.

However what does the "Terms OF Service" of facebook say in regards to,

- storing of billing information
    - in-app purchases
    - and are they required to actually change and add parental controls because of parents who have no control over their kids?

Though I agree restrictions should be in place legally whose fault is it really?
    A lot of terms of service agreements are an enormous pile of legalese that they try to get people to skip.  They're basically trying for this effect:

https://babylonbee.com/news/zuckerberg-requires-house-members-to-accept-terms-of-service-before-he-testifies/

(That's a satire site, by the way.)

If they have something that they actually want for you to read, it's much shorter and in plain English.
    Facinating really, how the Facebook Execs knew their practices were questionable if not outright predatory,  (friendly fraud), their employees recognized the problem, proposed solutions which were dismissed, and yet,  so many posters here apparently see no issue.

Weird. 
    Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Kyleran said:
    Facinating really, how the Facebook Execs knew their practices were questionable if not outright predatory,  (friendly fraud), their employees recognized the problem, proposed solutions which were dismissed, and yet,  so many posters here apparently see no issue.

Weird. 
    They see other issues that matter more to them.   Like irresponsible parents...

Which admitably does factor into the matter,  Even if Facebook did encourage shady one button token purchases.
    PhaserlightScorchienPalebane

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    anemo said:
    Kyleran said:

Weird. 

Which admitably does factor into the matter,  Even if Facebook did encourage shady one button token purchases.
    Agree ..

and this is not directed anyone in particular ..

But if you expect FB ( or any other online service ) and/or your 7 year old kid to be managing and watchful of your CC transactions for you .. you are a fucking idiot
    anemo said:
    Kyleran said:

Weird. 

They are applying their "Fox News Filters" and assuming the issue lies solely with a button pushing root cause like "irresponsible parenting" when in fact it goes much deeper than just this. 

Whatever, it's the world we live in now, critical thinking is lost.
    SpottyGekkoanemoGdemami

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    anemo said:
    Kyleran said:

Weird. 

They are applying their "Fox News Filters" and assuming the issue lies solely with a button pushing root cause like "irresponsible parenting" when in fact it goes much deeper than just this. 

Whatever, it's the world we live in now, critical thinking is lost.
    I dont agree Kyleran .. it does stop with "Responsible Parenting" and looking after your own financial responsibilities .. If you are doing that .. This ends right there .. ( and im referencing this FB event ) of course even a very responsible and mindful person can be ID fraud .. but that is a different animal ..

This can be avoided and was by Responsible Parents ..

Ive raised 3 kids , none of them would spend a dime without asking me .. My 7 year old played that Angry Birds and many I Pad games and Fortnite .. But he knows and asks me every Single time he wants to purchase something ...
    craftseekerPalebane