Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turns Out Anthem VIP Demo Issues Aren't Server-Related at All

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTurns Out Anthem VIP Demo Issues Aren't Server-Related at All

According to BioWare Studio Head Casey Hudson, today's Anthem VIP demo issues are not server related at all, something that was originally targeted when players were unable to log into the game. Hudson's latest Twitter post states that the problem is "a different issue that didn't come up in previous scale testing" and that "teams are on it".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Well, this doesn't bode well
    nycplayboy78FolmenKlikae
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    edited January 2019
    I've been in a few times, but can't get past the infinite loading screen issue. Got my Javelin all geared up (some things you need to equip at the forge) and all tricked out with the look I want. I changed the materials to a polished chrome look and colored everything a blackish-grey. They give you the Ranger Javelin in the demo plus the option later in the demo to PICK JUST ONE OTHER JAVELIN. YOU CANNOT TRY THEM ALL. So think about which one other javelin you wanna try.
    SBFordMrMelGibsonFolmen
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

I've been in a few times, but can't get past the infinite loading screen issue. Got my Javelin all geared up (some things you need to equip at the forge) and all tricked out with the look I want. I changed the materials to a polished chrome look and colored everything a blackish-grey. They give you the Ranger Javelin in the demo plus the option later in the demo to PICK JUST ONE OTHER JAVELIN. YOU CANNOT TRY THEM ALL. So think about which one other javelin you wanna try.

Can you just restart the demo afterwards and pick a different one at the end? Or is your choice locked?
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
    edited January 2019

Can you just restart the demo afterwards and pick a different one at the end? Or is your choice locked?
    I haven't gotten that far.  I've just read that you get the Ranger and you can only pick one other one.  This link to an article on the Anthem Reddit has a visual guide to help decide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/agpq0z/chart_to_show_damage_types_for_all_javelins/

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Some will win, some will lose
    Some were born to sing the blues
    FolmenScotgastovski1Klikae
  • SaltyBogeySaltyBogey Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Anyone got s spare code?
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Cannot load a mission at all. Apparently they weren't kidding when they've said the game is in alpha stage - just few weeks before release. It's going to be a paid beta (if not alpha), not an event one should call "release".

Hopefully, The Division 2 is in better shape. This one is many months away from actual release. I'm going to wait till summer or maybe September sale.
    Phry

Thank you for your time!

• VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212
    It happens when Millions of players try to login at the same time. That's why we have these demo's thank god so during launch we will have a smoother experience.
    KalebGraysonFolmen[Deleted User]TacticalZombehjarsku85jmlane223
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Got logged in for a bit of it today. Although on the console seems another issue has come up, no one can send out friend codes on consoles.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Vexiusx said:
    It happens when Millions of players try to login at the same time. That's why we have these demo's thank god so during launch we will have a smoother experience.
    Ordinarily, I would agree with you if this was open beta. But this is a paid closed VIP demo. They knew the potential number that would log in times 3 for the friend codes. That said, it appears that it's not wholly server problems, but an EA-wide issue, though probably caused by the Anthem overload.
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]BakgrindKalebGraysonFolmenMrMelGibsonThaharinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

Anyone got s spare code?

Sure PM here if you need one!
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    guess i wont be trying it out today after all :(

oh well here's hoping it gets sorted out til tomorrow.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    Looks like stuck at work is just fine. When I get home everything will be fixed.
    Octagon7711KlikaeMr.Gutsy
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • cesmodecesmode Member UncommonPosts: 6

SBFord said:

Vexiusx said:

Ordinarily, I would agree with you if this was open beta. But this is a paid closed VIP demo. They knew the potential number that would log in times 3 for the friend codes. That said, it appears that it's not wholly server problems, but an EA-wide issue, though probably caused by the Anthem overload.

1000% agree with you and I said the same thing earlier. They knew precisely how many pre orders there were, x possible 3(friend codes). Plan accordingly, load balance accordingly. Its 2019 and the age old 'we didnt expect this' nonsense needs to stop. I almost think its a marketing tactic to make their game seem popular at the onset. "oh wow we didnt know you all loved our product so much to the point where its broken'.

With that said, I see streamers have a much easier time playing mission after mission. Every time I check out twitch, streamers are playing no issue. I got one mission in and unable to launch anymore. And the demo started at 12pm EST (didnt play my first game until 2:30pm EST).

This isn't alpha, its a demo thats 6 weeks old. Even considering that, the state of this game is 12 or 13 weeks away from official launch if you consider that the version we are playing is 6 weeks old. This game is currently broken and unplayable unless youre streaming to 2000+ people.

EA/Bioware have a lot of crap to fix. Considering cancelling my pre order at the moment...especially if I cannot play anymore for the rest of the evening without issue.

KalebGraysonGdemamiFolmenPhry
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2019
    I will cut them some slack as this is their first always on (as in connected to cash shop) release of a D2 clone game.

I'm ok in town but when I try to leave, no joy, everything just freezes.

Oh, did they say what the problem was?
    FacelessSaviorAshikuro

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I per-ordered last night and sent a friend code to my brother, my best friend, and gave the last one to my wife.  I suspect I am not the only one who per-ordered last minute.  The argument that they knew the numbers is not exactly true.  However, breaking the servers like this and/or overloading EA/Origin entirely like this is good in my opinion.  They still have some time to fix this stuff.  I sometimes think companies should just preface weekends like this with, "Hey, come break our shit so we can fix it before release."
    cmacq
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Demo lasting for 2 (3?) days and another for the same time later, with this delay also probably not extending the VIP demo test 'time.' So less than a week's worth of test time to test a game that is due at the end of next month. Doesn't sounds familiar....?
    Phry
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @MikeB posted this in our group chat :D :D :D

Apparently they are DDoSing themselves. 
    "So I’m the guy on GAF who did the packet captures of No Man’s Sky at launch to prove it had no multiplayer.

I did packet capture on Anthem and it has the opposite problem. If it fails to connect it floods their servers trying to reconnect. They’ve created a condition where they’re DDoS themselves, and EA. "
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711sschruppBakgrindFolmenBlueThunderBeardragonlee66spookydom[Deleted User]TacticalZombehand 4 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Yep, it felt like overwhelmed servers.  One streamer who posted after NDA lifted called it unfinished.  It feels that way as a lot of items and NPCs I click on say not available during demo.  Now that I'm back in I'll probably just explore town completely before trying to leave it again.

SBFordFolmen

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Demo is not a beta but beta can be a demo...

They have labelled this a demo intentionally.. so things aren't looking great so far.
    GdemamiOctagon7711SBFordFolmenPhry
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Cant get in here, but i will try again tonight.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys, check out this SUV I paid to dem...

Octagon7711[Deleted User]Panserbjorne39rojoArcueidFacelessSaviorinfomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2019
    I finally made it past the load screen.  I went into a free-play map.  It's basically just exploring and doing small events.  I cleared a nest of scorpions.  Killed some panther looking things.  Stuff like that.  Flying is fun, but hard to steer.  I'm getting a weird bug when firing that causes my screen to flash all over the place, to the point where I am completely disoriented.  So far it's fun.  Beautiful map.  Can't fly too high though or you crash.
    Octagon7711MikeB[Deleted User]Thahar
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Demo is not a beta but beta can be a demo...

They have labelled this a demo intentionally.. so things aren't looking great so far.

It sounds like they are using an older more stable build to test and not their newest build for the game at this time. They did the same thing with SWTOR except that the pre- release build was more stable than the one at release, but that's a different story. Or is it lol ? I'm not really following their pre-launch schedule but I am sure that they will keep updating each build until the time the game launches.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I just hope they have it fixed for the open demo. I'm not in this one. I want to try this game before putting any money down.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.