Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• TimEisenTimEisen Columnist Member EpicPosts: 3,228
    edited January 19

SBFord said:
    I'm not sure what an "indirect request" actually is. Oh well, it's Saturday so I'm not going to waste any time pondering the meaning.

Get out in that sunshine, folks...unless you're anywhere in the polar vortex, that is... D:
    Oh man, this whole CoE ride has been some of the most absurd bullshit I've seen since that dickhead from Greed Monger's meltdown. I personally have nothing against CoE and wish them all the best, but just like many am very skeptical their promises can be kept or brought to fruition in a reasonable amount of time. One thing I think will not help the game idea to become reality is telling large internet communities that cover your type of game to go fuck themselves. That my friend is a seriously bad PR move. But whatever its his game and his choice to behave however he wishes. If CoE ever sees the light of day I'll give them a hearty cheer. If not I guess I'll just pour another bottle out for yet another dead "homie".

I would absolutely volunteer to interview him 1-1 and allow him to respond to the posts on here.  I’d even give him the questions in advance.  He just has to expect follow ups when he tries to deflect.  He should jump at the chance to prove his point.

The thing is...qna is done via email 90% of the time. In my experience when you ask fair/challenging questions you simply dont get a reply then you have to write a last minute column to fill the hole and despite that, despite a blatant dodge of your questions and them being unprofessional you keep things fair and professional and continue to write honestly about their project...
    Post edited by TimEisen on
    SBFordGdemamiTorvalWellspringMadFrenchieKyleranYashaXMrMelGibsonJamesGoblin
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 10,202
    TimEisen said:

SBFord said:
    I'm not sure what an "indirect request" actually is. Oh well, it's Saturday so I'm not going to waste any time pondering the meaning.

Get out in that sunshine, folks...unless you're anywhere in the polar vortex, that is... D:
    Oh man, this whole CoE ride has been some of the most absurd bullshit I've seen since that dickhead from Greed Monger's meltdown. I personally have nothing against CoE and wish them all the best, but just like many am very skeptical their promises can be kept or brought to fruition in a reasonable amount of time. One thing I think will not help the game idea to become reality is telling large internet communities that cover your type of game to go fuck themselves. That my friend is a seriously bad PR move. But whatever its his game and his choice to behave however he wishes. If CoE ever sees the light of day I'll give them a hearty cheer. If not I guess I'll just pour another bottle out for yet another dead "homie".

I would absolutely volunteer to interview him 1-1 and allow him to respond to the posts on here.  I’d even give him the questions in advance.  He just has to expect follow ups when he tries to deflect.  He should jump at the chance to prove his point.

The thing is...qna is done via email 90% of the time. In my experience when you ask fair/challenging questions you simply dont get a reply then you have to write a last minute column to fill the hole and despite that, despite a blatant dodge of your questions and unprofessionali you keep things fair and professional and continue to write honestly about their project...
    Oh no.  I volunteer to do it live so that he can embarrass me and point out all the untruths for everyone to see.  I'll take one for the team.

TimEisenWellspringMadFrenchieDakerutweedledumb99KyleranStrizzy12YashaXMrMelGibsonJamesGoblin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Millersburg, INMember RarePosts: 1,110
    Well as much as people give SoTA crap for all its telethons and such. These guys make them look like saints. Atleast SoTA has something to show for all its work and is actually working with the money its making.  COE we haven't seen anything outside of some concept gameplay demos and a team thats blowing through money without any regards to how much they have in the bank.

GdemamiKyleranInteritusYashaXManWithNoTanJamesGoblin
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,284
    SBFord said:

Oh well, as I said, not going to worry overly much about it and hope that those who are behind this management style and the game itself get what they're hoping for in time.
    Ha, well, I don't know if they will get what they are hoping for, but I suspect they will get back exactly what they are offering... lots of anger and resentment.

I've been saying this for a long time, but since it's the same old story, I'll say it again:

I would have more faith in this project if Caspian never spoke to the public, at all.  Every time he speaks, I get the image of a 5 year-old sitting in a daycare throwing blocks in a fit of rage.
    KyleranAnOldFartMendelMrMelGibson
  • NorseGodNorseGod My Bunker, MTMember RarePosts: 1,654
    Tiller said:
    I remember a time when SOE did something similar over 'angry vets' on the SWG forum here. It forced MMORPG.com to start deleting threads, then when people started leaving the site over it they tried to make them happy by creating a separate forum for disgruntled players to post their grievances. All this in an effort to keep them out of the general forum. That "Veteran Refuge' forum blew up, leaving the general forum empty for sometime. Fast forward to today, the game no longer exists.

This isn't the same thing, but attacking game sites and their users is never a good idea.
    That's why Reddit and the Chans are doing so well.

I still like to come here too though. I just don't expect a serious discussion due to ROC and bias.

But hey, their site, their rules. Amiright?
    KyleranGdemami
    Come home, North Man.
  • NildenNilden Canada, NBMember EpicPosts: 2,711
    They couldn't even make a MUD.
    SBFordSlapshot1188WellspringPhaserlightKylerancraftseekerStrizzy12YashaXSpottyGekko

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Nilden said:
    Hey thats unfair!

Of course they made the MUD.  Caspien even has the screenshots to prove it!

They just chose to UPGRADE it to minecraft-lite VoxElyria

Which sadly.. they canceled.   But no work was wasted!  The MUD and VOX actually were created to help save development time!  This is clearly demonstrated by their repeatedly demonstrated ability to miss ETAs by years...

SBFordArteriusLokeroTimEisenKyleranPhaserlightStrizzy12YashaXJamesGoblin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• axulthrullaxulthrull auburn, NYMember UncommonPosts: 34
    heyyyyyyyyy caspiannnnnn
    your a whiney little biotch
    Kyleran
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,042
    WooHoo I just made Epic..

and have nothing further to add to this discussion.. 

Well.. besides VoXElyra might have been pretty cool.. 
    MadFrenchieKyleranparrotpholkcraftseekerbartoni33AnOldFart
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
    Currently Playing Eternal Crusade, because killing people with a Chainsword is more fun then a sniper rifle.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Nashville, TNMember LegendaryPosts: 7,738
    edited January 19
    <reads Caspian's post>

I am reminded only of the upside of traditional publishers.  They don't generally allow devs to rant and rave like this.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    SBFordKyleranparrotpholkMendelMrMelGibsonWargfootYV

• TimEisenTimEisen Columnist Member EpicPosts: 3,228
    Nilden said:
    Hey thats unfair!

Of course they made the MUD.  Caspien even has the screenshots to prove it!

They just chose to UPGRADE it to minecraft-lite VoxElyria

Which sadly.. they canceled.   But no work was wasted!  The MUD and VOX actually were created to help save development time!  This is clearly demonstrated by their repeatedly demonstrated ability to miss ETAs by years...

I never saw this, probably a good thing I didn’t. Im so...confused. 
    YashaX
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,647
    NorseGod said:
    Tiller said:
    I remember a time when SOE did something similar over 'angry vets' on the SWG forum here. It forced MMORPG.com to start deleting threads, then when people started leaving the site over it they tried to make them happy by creating a separate forum for disgruntled players to post their grievances. All this in an effort to keep them out of the general forum. That "Veteran Refuge' forum blew up, leaving the general forum empty for sometime. Fast forward to today, the game no longer exists.

This isn't the same thing, but attacking game sites and their users is never a good idea.
    That's why Reddit and the Chans are doing so well.

I still like to come here too though. I just don't expect a serious discussion due to ROC and bias.

But hey, their site, their rules. Amiright?
    I am rather confused now...

You are aware he is talking about a situation from about 10 years ago, right?
    NorseGodTiller
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 31,736
    Exclusive access to what? The only thing they have published is a cash shop for items to a game that will never exist.
    Cash shop is an understatement, they have put out zero gameplay content the past year and stall with pointless community contests, every single week they come out with new in game items for 30-40$, the studios is broke and they are leading their community on.
    The burn rate is real.

"I should run a marathon backwards. So I could see what second place look like" Royce da 5'9"

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 ATM.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 10,042
    I'm a little disappointed, in terms of our community being called out through a developer tantrum, I expected it a little later in 2019.  At least March. This is way too early in the year, it's going to be very hard to beat that, the community will certainly have to work harder if we're going to have a "When Developers Attack" montage by the end of the year.
    SBFordTimEisenMadFrenchieDakeruKylerantweedledumb99Strizzy12SpottyGekkoMrMelGibsonManWithNoTan

edited January 19
    Here is the CURRENT Countdown on the Kingdom website that King @Dleatherus runs (PS just look at the first box for a laugh).  This was all based on stuff given by Caspien and SBS.  This was stuff their most dedicated community was told.  It's based on the "LAST POSSIBLE DATE" provided by SBS.    For those wondering, the only box that can be checked off is Server Selection which IMHO was just needed so they could figure out how many more "Royalty" packages they could sell on each server.  Should be a busy year :)

But it's mean old MMORPG.COM and Massively that are to blame.   Too funny.

They haven’t even had the courtesy to update projections.

http://bordweallcoe.com/countdown/
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    maskedweaseltweedledumb99

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 15,363
    edited January 19
    SBFord said:

grrr it's minus 12 here and loads of snow to shovel.I remember when i loved the snow and winter about...........oh 40 years ago lol.

Part of me feels sorry for this guy,he is doing nothing different than the rest of the developers which is try and deceive and manipulate money out of gamer's.

I have a pretty good hunch as to what "indirectly" refers to but not going there.
    I feel the industry is going through a phase,one that is very hostile,looking for ways to generate money out of nothing.It is actually out of hand,i look over at Steam releases and seems 99% are all early access.

Post edited by Wizardry on
    SBFordTimEisen

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,042
    I call Shenanigans on the OP, there is no way Caspian could write anything with that few words.
    SBFordWellspringLokeroKyleranAsm0deusStrizzy12
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
    Currently Playing Eternal Crusade, because killing people with a Chainsword is more fun then a sniper rifle.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 5,599
    NorseGodparrotpholkTorrskAsm0deusAnOldFartStrizzy12JamesGoblin
  • XodicXodic RealityMember RarePosts: 917
    @Slapshot1188 's obsession will most likely be the most entertaining thing to come from Chronicles of Elyria - and I'm okay with that.
    KyleranAsm0deus
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Leland, NCMember RarePosts: 4,074
    I'm a little disappointed, in terms of our community being called out through a developer tantrum, I expected it a little later in 2019.  At least March. This is way too early in the year, it's going to be very hard to beat that, the community will certainly have to work harder if we're going to have a "When Developers Attack" montage by the end of the year.
    I suppose if he wont come to us anymore then we could go to them and all register on the forums.  Of course it is not the super top secret forums or the super duper super friends / legion of doom only forums but we can still spread the love and offer kool aid to the cult members.
    maskedweaselManWithNoTan
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Here is the CURRENT Countdown on the Kingdom website that King @Dleatherus runs (PS just look at the first box for a laugh).  This was all based on stuff given by Caspien and SBS.  This was stuff their most dedicated community was told.  It's based on the "LAST POSSIBLE DATE" provided by SBS.    For those wondering, the only box that can be checked off is Server Selection which IMHO was just needed so they could figure out how many more "Royalty" packages they could sell on each server.  Should be a busy year :)

But it's mean old MMORPG.COM and Massively that are to blame.   Too funny.

They haven’t even had the courtesy to update projections.

http://bordweallcoe.com/countdown/

I think by end of  this year, around nov/dec 2019 they will put out a pre Elyria alpha for the nobles, just to run around in town etc, it will have nothing promised, it will be just to show ppl they have something. In terms of serious Alphas/Betas, I will not even post a hypothetical timeline as i don't see  it happening as long as Caspian is in charge.
    Mendel
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 81
    It's only sad and dam funny this isn't the first time he has lost his shit. He really seems too bloody sensitive. He really should never been replying to the public or even talking on the forums. He can't handle any truth being said to him or even half truths. It's like he takes it straight to the heart, no matter what is said. But then over being mature and taking a step back to think about it. Goes into some immature teen state and attacks straight away. Showing the world how utterly hurt whatever made him feel. 

He has reacted like this so many times, it's very clearly just a character flaw. Each time I think he would learn. But it's like he needs others to tell him it's all going to be ok and not to listen to those "bullies". Which I can only picture how the convo went.
    LokeroGdemamiAnOldFartMendel
  • ElidienElidien Atlanta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,336
    Game devs, marketing managers, news stories and the like are supposed to make players to WANT to play your game. Stuff like this is the opposite.

Just like with the Anthem videos recently, provide your fanbase with stuff that makes them enthusiastic about your game. And especially do not try to blame some of them and then try to segregate them.
    MendelStrizzy12
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy ItalyMember UncommonPosts: 179
    This man-child should just learn to swallow his pride and understand that at the present moment every criticism about the game is well founded and deserved. The "right" way to react to criticism in this case is to admit mea culpa, apologize for the delays (or in the case of MMORPG.com's article the lack of transparency) and move on... But of course the temptation to throw a tantrum is too hard to resist and here we have the results.

If he is the one who has the last work in there, I pity those working under him.
    TimEisenArteriuscraftseekerGdemamiMendelStrizzy12
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember EpicPosts: 3,344
    edited January 20
    You can typically judge a game by its studio leader(s)...

I don't think much else needs to be said beyond that.

*added "typically" for brawndo drinkers
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    craftseekerTimEisen
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.