Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,615
    Remember that sweet "demo" that was shown ages ago? It looked great. The one walking through a town, going in a house and interacting with everything... Obviously anything outside of that demo didn't exist.

A shame really.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,446
    edited February 1
    Well on the mention of "information paywalls"i can understand that very easily.
    if there is a lot of hate/anger towards some developer,it would be so easy to just donate $1 to be able to voice your opinion or spy and or make fake accounts to deliver the news.
    So yes there needs to be some sort of wall,call it a pay wall whatever.
    If this guy had of just stuck to the original presentation he delivered to us here at mmorpg.com,i would still be interested in the game,try and deceive me and there is no way in hell.

Point being ,that in the future if any dev wants to peddle his/her product,come here with honesty and straight forward marketing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,007
    edited February 1
    Information paywall reminds me of scientology where you have to pay enough to get true enlightenment. You aren't allowed to criticize scientology if you aren't part of the group and once you start to criticize it you are out of the group and not allowed to criticize it.

The gdemani amendment would be that you aren't a writer yourself so not allowed to criticize the Ron Hubbard himself.
    ManWithNoTanYashaX
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,900
    Shaigh said:
    Information paywall reminds me of scientology where you have to pay enough to get true enlightenment. You aren't allowed to criticize scientology if you aren't part of the group and once you start to criticize it you are out of the group and not allowed to criticize it.

The gdemani amendment would be that you aren't a writer yourself so not allowed to criticize the Ron Hubbard himself.
    Funny that you bring up the loltroll and scientology together in one post. When he goes off on one of his rants about psychology being a fake science I have wondered...
    YashaXcraftseeker
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,822
    Iselin said:
    Shaigh said:

Funny that you bring up the loltroll and scientology together in one post. When he goes off on one of his rants about psychology being a fake science I have wondered...
    Ahh THAT was him, now I member! God, that was equal parts hilarious and utterly embarrasing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    craftseeker
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,898
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Shaigh said:

Ahh THAT was him, now I member! God, that was equal parts hilarious and utterly embarrasing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Err, before laughing too much about it, the debate about whether Psychology is a "true science" rages on, by many who are scientists no less.

But this thread is careening out of control perhaps, and we certainly shouldn't debate a subject such as this nor other posters behaviors. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201601/the-is-psychology-science-debate

tweedledumb99Iselin

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Shaigh said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Err, before laughing too much about it, the debate about whether Psychology is a "true science" rages on, by many who are scientists no less.

But this thread is careening out of control perhaps, and we certainly shouldn't debate a subject such as this nor other posters behaviors. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/theory-knowledge/201601/the-is-psychology-science-debate

The idea it isn't a science ignores the actual insights that have been gained as a result of the study of psychology.

Remember science is merely: "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

It's science.  The debate is on the level of the climate "debate" among scientists.
    GdemamiYashaXgervaise1craftseeker

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687
    The idea it isn't a science ignores the actual insights that have been gained as a result of the study of psychology.

Remember science is merely: "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment."

It's science.  The debate is on the level of the climate "debate" among scientists.
    150 years ongoing debate finally solved!

Just...wow...
    YashaXcraftseeker
    edited February 1
    Gdemami said:

Just...wow...
    You have zero clue what you're talking about, and it clearly shows.  Go back to your cave, troll.
    Gdemamitweedledumb99YashaXcraftseeker

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,713
    Gdemami said:

Just...wow...
    You have zero clue what you're talking about, and it clearly shows.  Go back to your cave, troll.
    Actually I gained an insight from his post.
    He posts "just wow" a lot.

I remember Caspien commented himself with "very wow"
    Maybe we are on to something here.

MadFrenchietweedledumb99KyleranYashaXcraftseeker
    Harbinger of Fools
    He just doesn't understand that there's more to that question than some kind of binary decision about the totality of persons or work involved.

By his logic, someone approaching psychology without using the scientific method to experiment and observe behavior completely eliminates the fact that there are well-documented studies via said method that have gleaned real insight into the human psyche, including behavioral results of observable brain activity (or lack thereof).

But it's unsurprising an edge lord would take that position.
    GdemamiMendeltweedledumb99YashaXcraftseeker

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687
    edited February 1
    Kyleran said:

In case you are genuinely interested, I am very fond of one particular article that I read years ago. It explains way more indepth and in logical structure why there is a lack of author of your article calls 'cumulative body of knowledge' and therefore why psychology cannot be considered a science.

https://arachnoid.com/psychology/psychology_science.html

MadFrenchieEponyxDamortweedledumb99KyleranIselinYashaXcraftseeker
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:

In case you are genuinely interested, I am very fond of one particular article that I read years ago. It explains way more indepth and in logical structure why there is a lack of author of your article calls 'cumulative body of knowledge' and therefore why psychology cannot be considered a science.

https://arachnoid.com/psychology/psychology_science.html

The focus on that particular aspect is vacuously narrow, and is why assigning a binary "yes" or "no" is only useful in the context used on these forums.  The more in-depth debate focuses on the degree and manner in which psychology is like or unalike physical or natural sciences ('hard' sciences).

That's how the question is similar to the climate debate: there's a question of degree, condition, and caveats to the one word answer to "is climate change happening?" (or is climate change caused by humans?), that answer generally being accepted as being yes.

Your link is also to an article written by what appears to be a fucking software developer, because that's the authority we want to give us the answer to this question, right?

Not someone with a Phd in the theory of knowledge (such as Gregg Henriques) or David Feldman, who holds a PhD in the field itself, and who both write insightful articles for Psychology Today expounding on the issue in a way your software developer can only regurgitate, at best.

But hey, keep doing you, edge lord.
    GdemamiYashaXgervaise1craftseeker

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,045
    Guys... can we stay on target?

While I believe Caspien has a Psychology degree that’s really not what this thread is about.  It’s about his meltdown because MMORPG actually had a mildly questioning article, his tantrum about taking his “exclusives” to PCGamer (1 total COE article there) and tangentially about how he also just had a tantrum against his own customer for presenting him with his own words.

Its getting really bad.  I am actually starting to feel bad for the guy.  Just a little.

Gdemamitweedledumb99WellspringTorvalYashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,271

While I believe Caspien has a Psychology degree that’s really not what this thread is about.  It’s about his meltdown because MMORPG actually had a mildly questioning article, his tantrum about taking his “exclusives” to PCGamer (1 total COE article there) and tangentially about how he also just had a tantrum against his own customer for presenting him with his own words.

Its getting really bad.  I am actually starting to feel bad for the guy.  Just a little.

Caspien has a Psychology degree?  I *really* do not want to read his self-help book.  I wonder if it even comes with crayons?

craftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

Caspien has a Psychology degree?  I *really* do not want to read his self-help book.  I wonder if it even comes with crayons?

Yes.  The wiki states he graduated from Missouri S&T (Tied for 802nd in the country per USNews and World Reports annual ranking  https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/missouri-university-of-science-technology-178411 ) with degrees in CS and psychology. 

It's interesting that he refers to it at the 1-minute mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjVBfIU8So

Maybe that's what helps him design the Sales Events to have raised $5M.  It's obviously not based on any programming accomplishments. Maybe he was a better Psych Student...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,513
    Maybe he was a better Psych Student...
    In my anecdotal experience, people tend to get interested in Psych. because they have problems of their own that pushed them into that field :p  Just saying...
    edited February 1
    Lokero said:
    Maybe he was a better Psych Student...
    In my anecdotal experience, people tend to get interested in Psych. because they have problems of their own that pushed them into that field :p  Just saying...
    Hey!  I majored in Psych for a semester...  :( :D
    LokeroGdemami

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Mendel said:

Second.  Design choices.  The only thing locking SBS/Caspien into any design choice is Caspien's own stubbornness.  He made wild claims about features of his game, and is discovering that these features may not be feasible.  He is driving on towards the cliff, despite numerous warning signs that suggest an alternate ways down.  It wasn't his original plan and he doesn't give credence to the warnings or suggestions because others told him that first.  This seems to clearly be an ego issue.  He made promises.  People criticized promises.  He thinks, "I'll show them!", and continues down the original path just to prove that his detractors were wrong.  He sees changing plans or cutting features as some kind of personal insult.  He'd lose face in his mind, and that isn't happening.

There's a chance that I'm misreading the situation based on information hidden behind some paywall.  But this is just me analyzing the personality behind the public events that have occurred / are occurring with CoE.

Not sure about that. They have sold a lot of stuff that rely on x, y, z feature which is what prohibits redesign.
    Mendel said:

Second.  Design choices.  The only thing locking SBS/Caspien into any design choice is Caspien's own stubbornness.  He made wild claims about features of his game, and is discovering that these features may not be feasible.  He is driving on towards the cliff, despite numerous warning signs that suggest an alternate ways down.  It wasn't his original plan and he doesn't give credence to the warnings or suggestions because others told him that first.  This seems to clearly be an ego issue.  He made promises.  People criticized promises.  He thinks, "I'll show them!", and continues down the original path just to prove that his detractors were wrong.  He sees changing plans or cutting features as some kind of personal insult.  He'd lose face in his mind, and that isn't happening.

There's a chance that I'm misreading the situation based on information hidden behind some paywall.  But this is just me analyzing the personality behind the public events that have occurred / are occurring with CoE.

Not sure about that. They have sold a lot of stuff that rely on x, y, z feature which is what prohibits redesign.
    Prohibits redesign kind of like ElyriaMud(cancelled after lengthy development), or VoxElyria(cancelled after lengthy development) or SpatialOS, the foundation the game was built on... until it was dropped?

@mendel hit it on the head.  Caspien was told all these were a waste of resources and time but he stubbornly plowed forward.  Think of all the time wasted because of his ego.  It’s easy to waste other people’s money.

Hes now been reduced to occassionally shouting @all on Discord that the people with access to his single or double paywalled Early Access forums should go check out “the shiny”.  It’s so bush league it’s pathetic.  He can’t even deliver a blog update. He literally started talking about this Update Blog on Nov 5th. It’s now February.  Along the way he has blamed his vacation, and his team members...  but reality is that he once again has simply not delivered.   He hides behind the Early Access forum despite his Kickstarter PROMISE to provide regular progress updates on his website.  He needs to publish his schedule or he’s clearly in violation of the Kickstarter.  Last one was published July 2017 I believe.  That’s simply pathetic.

When someone like Tim mildly points this out, he throws a tantrum and takes his toys home. 
    MendelGdemami

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,271
    Mendel said:

Yes, they have sold a lot of stuff.  However, the features that were promised to use the specific items could easily change.  The features are merely promises, words on a page, at this stage.  There appears to be nothing about this project that is written in stone.

The only thing backing these prior commitments to game systems and features seems to be Caspien's ego.  If some of these systems can't be accomplished by SBS, it will definitely hurt the existing promises and further endanger the project's success.  Even if simple changes to some features could help propel the game towards completion, I do not know if SBS/Caspien would actually be open to changing the plan.  Such a stance might be detrimental to all parties, and to the game.

Maybe Caspien's ego is being confused for 'written in stone' here.  Project management and software development are both endeavors where flexibility is an asset.  Things change, even goals and core facts the project is built upon.  There are even special studies within software development that focus on requirements management; managing how and when changes impact a project.  If there is a degree of flexibility at SBS, it doesn't appear to have been demonstrated publicly.

Things change.  Even in three card monte.

GdemamiScot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Mendel said:

Prohibits redesign kind of like ElyriaMud(cancelled after lengthy development), or VoxElyria(cancelled after lengthy development) or SpatialOS, the foundation the game was built on... until it was dropped?

@mendel hit it on the head.  Caspien was told all these were a waste of resources and time but he stubbornly plowed forward.  Think of all the time wasted because of his ego.  It’s easy to waste other people’s money.

Hes now been reduced to occassionally shouting @all on Discord that the people with access to his single or double paywalled Early Access forums should go check out “the shiny”.  It’s so bush league it’s pathetic.  He can’t even deliver a blog update. He literally started talking about this Update Blog on Nov 5th. It’s now February.  Along the way he has blamed his vacation, and his team members...  but reality is that he once again has simply not delivered.   He hides behind the Early Access forum despite his Kickstarter PROMISE to provide regular progress updates on his website.  He needs to publish his schedule or he’s clearly in violation of the Kickstarter.  Last one was published July 2017 I believe.  That’s simply pathetic.

When someone like Tim mildly points this out, he throws a tantrum and takes his toys home. 
    This annoyed the hell out of me, I've plowed what to me was a large amount at the time into this (large amount of disposable cash).

Now I get told I'm no longer entitled to updates because it wasn't enough, but those that put less in and got a free count package get to see it... 
    GdemamiKyleranSlapshot1188Dakeru
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,771
    The worst of the worst about mmorpg.com in this thread. 

It’s not a good look. I think it has ran its course. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,898
    bcbully said:
    The worst of the worst about mmorpg.com in this thread. 

It’s not a good look. I think it has ran its course. 
    Alas, the truth is never pretty,  and few can stand up to its withering gaze.

craftseeker

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

This annoyed the hell out of me, I've plowed what to me was a large amount at the time into this (large amount of disposable cash).

Now I get told I'm no longer entitled to updates because it wasn't enough, but those that put less in and got a free count package get to see it... 
    Given the amount of money you out in, have you ever pointed out to him that he PROMISED on this Kickstarter to publish and Update his schedule on the CoE website?  I mean it’s right there on Kickstarter for all to read. And it’s not a Kickstarter requirement.  It’s what he personally decided to pledge to do for those giving money.

If not, why not?  Just wondering.

Gdemami