Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,802
    edited January 31
    Gdemami said:
    Galadourn said:
    for Scrum or for Scam?

Ah, sorry. Misread your post as something that has other value but trolling.
    'Trolling' dies last, even after Hope has died.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,954
    Gdemami said:
    Galadourn said:
    for Scrum or for Scam?

Ah, sorry. Misread your post as something that has other value but trolling.
    The subtlety of tongue in cheek humor can often go past some folks.
    GaladournAnOldFarttweedledumb99ManWithNoTan

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited January 31
    *facepalm* I can't believe Caspian still lets you guys troll him like this!

For some reason I can't upload an image as usual.

Daily $ average funding between 3-Dec-18 and 31-Jan-19 has been $5,416 bringing the lifetime average (31-Aug-17 to 31-Jan-19) to $4,748. Based on the current funding trend they are receiving $162k per month.

So irrespective of the drama, real and imagined, they are still generating enough to keep the doors open.
    tweedledumb99KyleranTorvalYashaXPhaserlightbcbully
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,054
    Well I’ve been traveling so have not kept up.  Is today finally the day where we get the 0.5 State of Elyria update? 

Will we actually get an updated schedule published on his website as he PROMISED during Kickstarter before it became inconvenient?

My guess, since he is further splitting his Discord into an Alpha 1 Access section is that he announces that they are close to allowing players in.  But then again I think we heard that in 2018... and 2017... and...

Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,713

Daily $ average funding between 3-Dec-18 and 31-Jan-19 has been $5,416 bringing the lifetime average (31-Aug-17 to 31-Jan-19) to $4,748. Based on the current funding trend they are receiving $162k per month.

So irrespective of the drama, real and imagined, they are still generating enough to keep the doors open.
    Criticizing isn't trolling and just out of curiousity...
    How exactly would he stop us?

And just to point it out:
    Incoming donations have nothing to do with development progress.
    GaladournGdemamimmoloutweedledumb99YashaXMadFrenchiecraftseeker
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited January 31

You’d have to ask him... but he’s probably too busy giving PC Gamer exclusive access to his soon to be announced February Sale to answer.

If you do ask him please also ask him how he forgot about his PROMISE to keep updating the website with the schedule. Not the fundraising schedule...  but the actual release one.

GaladournWellspringcraftseeker

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200

You’d have to ask him... but he’s probably too busy giving PC Gamer exclusive access to his soon to be announced February Sale to answer.

If you do ask him please also ask him how he forgot about his PROMISE to keep updating the website with the schedule. Not the fundraising schedule...  but the actual release one.

Oh, you didn't hear? As it turns out, you only have to keep your word when it's convenient for you.

:confounded:

Slapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------

Oh, you didn't hear? As it turns out, you only have to keep your word when it's convenient for you.

:confounded:

The ends justify the means to some.
    MadFrenchie

edited January 31
    @StaalBurgher As you know, the last event was literally built around RNG lootboxes.  They raised $300k per Caspien. 

Is that something to be proud of?  

Is there anything they wont sell to get the funds?  Do you care?  That’s an honest question.  This is the guy who said that one of the main reason he doesn’t have a publisher is lootboxes.  Now,  not only will SoulPacks be sold after launch (RNG packs of souls to make characters, some of which will start with a multiple years skill ramp) but now he literally built a whole event around RNG sales.    Are you really OK with that?

PS-  The player base is still minuscule.  20k paid accounts last I heard with huge bunches barely interested any more. They keep raising money by selling more advantages to the same people. Do you really think that’s healthy? 
    GdemamiWellspringAmathetweedledumb99YashaXcraftseeker

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,687
    Dakeru said:
    Criticizing isn't trolling
    ....well, that's what he said.
    Dakeru said:

Criticizing isn't trolling and just out of curiousity...
    How exactly would he stop us?

And just to point it out:
    Incoming donations have nothing to do with development progress.
    I mean in that he allows himself to comment.

Simple criticism does not warrant the incredible number of posts/threads dedicated to the gleeful celebration of their every struggle. If the game is rubbish etc most people would just forget about it.

Unfortunately, once upon a time, now lost in the mists of time, Caspian made some insulting comments regarding Gantt charts or what have you. Members here felt offended and here we are... 300 threads and God only knows how many posts of very good trolling later.

Never claimed that funding = progress. Simply that it keeps the doors open, without which zero progress is guaranteed.
    YashaX
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,454
    edited January 31
    I might be forgetting some detail but not like i can remember everything about the thousands of games that come through these turn styles.However i seem to remember that he was claiming the profits would come from some $5 death penalty idea.
    There was no mention of asking us for money,although that did come about 2 weeks later.I was very skeptical o the $5 dollar death penalty idea and thought ok the price/cost is fair bu not if there is some exploit that encourages dying,that would turn it into p2w.

Well it did not take very long before it became far worse than that.Caspien/team became a sellout to money,nothing uncommon in this industry but it is what it is.

So if you want to be misleading...dishonest,ruin your own game for the almighty dollar,you deserve any backlash you receive.

Here is the ordeal...The original idea is great,some nice housing ideas,i like the systems,we were never given ANYTHING to go on about the world or creatures but what was told seemed good enough.All of this was great IF he got the money up front to make it happen,you CANNOT develop a game properly going on an uncertain budget.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 31
    @StaalBurgher As you know, the last event was literally built around RNG lootboxes.  They raised $300k per Caspien. 

Is there anything they wont sell to get the funds?  Do you care?  That’s an honest question.  This is the guy who said that one of the main reason he doesn’t have a publisher is lootboxes.  Now,  not only will SoulPacks be sold after launch (RNG packs of souls to make characters, some of which will start with a multiple years skill ramp) but now he literally built a whole event around RNG sales.    Are you really OK with that?

PS-  The player base is still minuscule.  20k paid accounts last I heard with huge bunches barely interested any more. They keep raising money by selling more advantages to the same people. Do you really think that’s healthy? 
    No, it is not something to be proud of, I don't like it at all. Although I can't remember the details now of what you are calling "lootboxes". I really don't follow the ins-and-outs of this project. I do know however that there is often a lot of hyperbole around here. 

Well for one he won't sell control to a publisher...? There is that at least.

No, I don't care for the purposes of getting this particular game built. This is the only project that is attempting to do permadeath and online character persistence. I feel even ritual human sacrifice could be justified.

No, I don't think it is healthy selling advantages in-game.

I just don't see other options available to them. None of this explains 300 threads of "criticism". Will all these negatives cause the game to fail? Potentially but we don't know exactly. What we do know is that without money there will be no game at all.
    YashaX
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,662
    edited January 31
    bcbully said:
    Caspien has posted a "brilliant" response on his forum:

Firstly... you really have to love the way he wants pity for having to take a few minutes on a Sunday to post.  He is supposed to be the CEO of a startup company.   Seriously?  You are going to complain about taking 10 minutes to post on a Sunday?  I think I understand why he misses all these dates.  He absolutely does not have a startup mentality and it shows.

Anyhow, the reason I call it a "brilliant" response is because it pretty much ignores Tim's article but just responds to some really easy low hanging fruit from one poster.  This guy served up softballs and Caspien jumped at the chance to respond.  
    Example:

When they promise things that never happen, why dont the community hold them accountable?

I'm not sure what you mean by never happen. We had several community events come and go that we said would happen, we've got domain & settlement selection coming up soon as well. We reached our Friends & Family milestone earlier last year, but decided not to release the "Walk & Talk" to Alpha 1 backers. Now we're working on getting the game into the hands of players as quickly as possible. Trust me when I say it's coming soon.

But to say never is both a gross over statement and is honestly incorrect. As long as I'm coming into work every day, never hasn't happened yet. In the words of the famous Dread Pirate Roberts, "You're only saying never because no one ever has."

------

Isn't he so smart!  Never hasn't happened yet.  HA HA.  Just want I want my CEO saying when he hasn't delivered what he said he would.

Or then there is this beauty:

Is it not a bit dis-concerning that after so many years they have yet to produce anything that can be viewed as progress and are way overdue on timelines and so on?

We've been in production for 2 years and 2 months (Since Nov. 2016). Since then we've had to roll our own back-end servers, create a front-end that can communicate with our back-end, and implement the many gameplay mechanics and systems that exist in the Pre-Alpha - in addition to all the work we've had to do around world building and world generation; including creating the lore and details of all the biomes, flora, fauna, historical events, and Tribes of Elyria.

I know that all sounds defensive, but it's really not meant to be. I just wanted to highlight that we've done a ton in a relatively short amount of time. I say relatively because if you compare us with other in-development and previous MMOs you can see that we're still doing quite well on time.

I know when you're watching the clock waiting for the project to be completed it can seem like an eternity. But I've worked longer than this on single-player free-roaming adventure games.

-----

Silly people!  Of course an MMORPG can't be completed in 2 years!  Why it's crazy to even think that!  Why would you get that crazy idea in your head?  Gantt charts schmant charts! (for those new to the story, the first big argument was when Caspien listed a Dec 2017 release date and then forcefully defended that date by referring to his Gantt charts)

And then the Shame On You Guys part:

And why do we never get a response from SbS on this forum with things like this, not like the tactic of ignoring concerns have worked for them...

Frankly, because we have things to do. There will always be negative articles that come out about the game. Even post-launch. We can't stop development each time that happens to address it. We shouldn't have to.

------
    So instead of taking an opportunity to really address Tim, he takes a shot at an easy target which of course he then links to his Ivory Tower followers so they can go "upvote" his response and reaffirm their commitment to what he has literally called it: "The Gospel Of CoE".
    Slap, i think you’ve crossed the line to hate. I haven’t seen this much hate since me hating  GW2. Caution my friend.

Funny thing tho, I was getting banned for calling black lion chest gambling boxes. 

The difference between NCsoft marketing money and indi marketing money I guess...
    No dude, you got banned for the way you said BLC's were loot crates. I remember those posts. Lots of people said that and more critical things, including the "Naw 2013" banners in forum signatures. It's the difference between understand and respecting boundaries.
    YashaXKyleran
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

It only took 3 people 8 words to rock Blizzard to its core.
    edited January 31

No, it is not something to be proud of, I don't like it at all. Although I can't remember the details now of what you are calling "lootboxes". I really don't follow the ins-and-outs of this project. I do know however that there is often a lot of hyperbole around here. 

Well for one he won't sell control to a publisher...? There is that at least.

No, I don't care for the purposes of getting this particular game built. This is the only project that is attempting to do permadeath and online character persistence. I feel even ritual human sacrifice could be justified.

No, I don't think it is healthy selling advantages in-game.

I just don't see other options available to them. None of this explains 300 threads of "criticism". Will all these negatives cause the game to fail? Potentially but we don't know exactly. What we do know is that without money there will be no game at all.
    If he would start to do what he says he will do a lot if the criticism goes away.  Take for example the fact that over a year ago he gave a State of Elyria post listing 3 major milestones for 2018.  One of which was just days/weeks away supposedly.   He delivered zero.  Not one.   Does that deserve criticism?  Has that been addressed on his official forums?

Has there even been a published updated schedule (as promised) in years?  It’s 2019 and last one I see was mid 2017. 

Or more on target with the thread:  When this site finally posts an article questioning the game’s progress, after years of support including helping him launch his Kickstarter, is it appropriate for him to state he’s cutting this site off and is going to funnel all his exclusives through PCGamer?  A site which as far as I can tell has had a total of one article about COE.   

Should he be criticized for responding like that?

tweedledumb99Gdemami

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,713
    Gdemami said:
    Dakeru said:
    Criticizing isn't trolling
    ....well, that's what he said.
    Yes it's a simple fact but I understand a troll like you doesn't understand the difference.
    GdemamiYashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    And the MMORPG conspiracy to eradicate all online gaming marches onward...
    Kyleran
    Dakeru said:
    Yes it's a simple fact but I understand a troll like you doesn't understand the difference.
    ...well, at least you aren't trying to pretend you are smart..
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

I just don't see other options available to them.

But there is. I know a lot of players who have stopped putting money in the game because they aren't seeing progress.  There are people that come here and say if you could see NDA chat you would see progress being made.

Does no one else see how insane it is that backers are being blocked from actual information because they haven't spent enough money?  Now we have information paywalls.

If there is actual information that in the 10k+ exclusive that shows progress or eases fears. Share that with the other backers.  Then,  they might feel better about the progress of the game and would likely be more willing to go back to buying the random items that are sold in the digital store. 
    PhaserlightAnOldFarttweedledumb99
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    If he would start to do what he says he will do a lot if the criticism goes away.

Aww Slap ol buddy.. you are under the illusion that he can do what he said he will do.. 
    MadFrenchie
    edited January 31
    If he would start to do what he says he will do a lot if the criticism goes away.  Take for example the fact that over a year ago he gave a State of Elyria post listing 3 major milestones for 2018.  One of which was just days/weeks away supposedly.   He delivered zero.  Not one.   Does that deserve criticism?  Has that been addressed on his official forums?

Has there even been a published updated schedule (as promised) in years?  It’s 2019 and last one I see was mid 2017. 

Or more on target with the thread:  When this site finally posts an article questioning the game’s progress, after years of support including helping him launch his Kickstarter, is it appropriate for him to state he’s cutting this site off and is going to funnel all his exclusives through PCGamer?  A site which as far as I can tell has had a total of one article about COE.   

Should he be criticized for responding like that?

I think right now they are struggling with the extreme technical difficulties of their design. Lots of the "easier" stuff has been done but now they have to put things together. Difficulties that can potentially sink the whole project which, fair enough, lots of people on here said is likely to happen. Naturally you need to have milestones to keep yourself on track internally but I don't think they should publish any. It is just not going to be accurate. They are learning on the job to a great extent and this is where a major drawback of public development is revealing itself. They are locked into a lot of design choices. They are limited in what they can change to ease some of the technical sticking points. Not that I am asking for sympathy for them on that score. You live by crowdfunding, you die by crowdfunding.

But please don't pretend that this site was ever supportive of COE. At the beginning it was maybe a bit more balanced but there were many ridiculous claims about scams and cash grabs because of the billing model, talents etc. Over the top rubbish right from the get go.

The posters here have been celebrating every real or imagined problem they have had for at least the last 12 months. It is not out of the blue for him to "cut MMORPG out". *face palm* Don't get me wrong, I think it is stupid. Caspian should shut up and get on with his project. You can't punish the internet for not liking you. It's absurd. Although it is clear big publishers get an easier ride when it comes to previews. It is unfair but that is life. Moaning about it is not going to help. That is why I have to *face palm* when Caspian once again comments publicly about this rubbish. Just shut up for God's sake.

Yet... 300 threads, man, 3-0-0 threads... for a project you all think is going nowhere because (1) project lead is incompetent, (2) design is technically impossible, (3) there is no market for it. The only thing that has kept up this posting activity is your collective dislike of Caspian.
    AnOldFarttweedledumb99
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Hey slapshot, totally agree with everything you have said. I was wondering though was that a screen grab from twitter? I tried looking him up and couldn't find him.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,265
    kryntok said:
    Hey slapshot, totally agree with everything you have said. I was wondering though was that a screen grab from twitter? I tried looking him up and couldn't find him.
    It looks like it's from Discord.
    Krynt0k
    Discord 
    Krynt0k

edited January 31
    Interitus said:
    If there is actual information that in the 10k+ exclusive that shows progress or eases fears. Share that with the other backers. 
    ...what would be a point in spending that much money if you got the same level of 'involvement' as those who spent way less?

Just because you don't get/disagree with something does not make it insane.
    tweedledumb99