Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no MMO since UO has held my attention

LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
I played UO from like 98-05  and off and on  on player ran servers …… to this day im still waiting for a MMO that keeps my interest for more than a few weeks ! I like PvP but PvP games lack substance and meaningful pvp , and pve games after a few weeks im like "why am I playing with hundreds or thousands of other players if I cant fight them!"  its crazy that after all these years no game has found way to be a full community with PvE and guild warfare …… I would love to find another game that had a good community feel but also had the danger and comrade that pvp brings
[Deleted User]Phaserlight

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I'm having the opposite problem in the late years. Too many mmorpgs trying to mix PvE with PvP, when I'm only interested in the cooperative aspect of the game and I want to completely ignore the PvP part.
    BitterClingerdelete5230TheocritusMrMelGibsonMargrave
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i also played UO but to me it was dated soon it arrived.Sure i enjoyed it some what ,i played all the ultima games.In reality though they became dated fast,the industry moved forward in leaps back then.
    The simplest way i can explain gaming for me is i like to be in control of my player.That is why i preferred fpsr's for a long time and was really tough to pry me away into a mmorpg for the long term.Sure i tried them all just to see what they were about but nothing stuck with me.

To this day i STILL see the same bad mmorpg designs and that is HANDCUFFED combat.Then it is dissected further down into the smaller parts like bad class designs "altaholics"ideas that don't make sense like having to CHOOSE from 1/2/3 choices at certain levels like omg we can't have THREE new abilities,what could i possibly do with all 3...sigh.

How about the EXACT same aggro systems in every game except ONE..."the same proximity"aggro for all creatures.How about OOC food n drink,like wtf that doesn't even make sense.

I could write a novel on all the dumb and bad  systems within these mmorpg's.

Long winded point, ihave no idea why the OP thinks ultimaOnline is so great or better than the rest because i don't share that opinion and i have tried ALL of the notable games over the years.Geesg i started gaming with Commander Keen and APBA baseball and horse racing games and pacman and missile command,i don't think there is a gimmick or game idea i haven't seen.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I played UO from like 98-05  and off and on  on player ran servers …… to this day im still waiting for a MMO that keeps my interest for more than a few weeks ! I like PvP but PvP games lack substance and meaningful pvp , and pve games after a few weeks im like "why am I playing with hundreds or thousands of other players if I cant fight them!"  its crazy that after all these years no game has found way to be a full community with PvE and guild warfare …… I would love to find another game that had a good community feel but also had the danger and comrade that pvp brings
    If no MMO in 20+ years has held your attention, maybe "MMO" isn't the genre for you? :D
    klash2defMaurgrim[Deleted User]PhaserlightForgrimmAmathedelete5230[Deleted User]QuizzicalZoeMcCloskeyand 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Played UO for a short time when it came out, didn't klick for me at all was an ok game never understood why people glorify it so much, I got hooked on EQ instead.
    After EQ there have been plenty of MMOs for me during the years that I really enjoyed and still do.

MrMelGibson
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    That's actually pretty cool.  I heard about UO when I was in high school, but too busy with academics at the time.

The MMO you will find in my signature was significantly inspired by UO, although it has a vastly different setting.  It was in development since 1998, with a retail launch in 2004 (a couple weeks ahead of WoW).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    That’s a long time to wait. I gave up long ago.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You seem to me hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because it's going to feel good when you stop.
    PhaserlightKyleranMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       I still play UO (21 years ) now , and its still the best MMORPG out to date IMO
    PhaserlightLuftwaffenWoeToTheVanquished
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Maurgrim said:
    Played UO for a short time when it came out, didn't klick for me at all was an ok game never understood why people glorify it so much, I got hooked on EQ instead.
    After EQ there have been plenty of MMOs for me during the years that I really enjoyed and still do.

I liked the cooperative aspect of EQ much more than the cutthroat dog eat dog aspect of UO....My first five minutes in UO and I knew I didnt like it....Went to walk outside castle Brittain and was killed by a group of PKers....THey jsut slaughtered everyone over and over. What kind of fun is that?
    MrMelGibsonWenchesnmead
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2019
    Well no MMO since ESO has held mine, but I think there is hope for me yet, it rather depends on what you mean by "held your attention". I used to think a minimum of a few years would mean a MMO was holding my attention, now more than a few months would qualify.
    [Deleted User]PalebaneKyleranMrMelGibson
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    OP, Legends of Aria is the game you are looking for.
    Ungood
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I played UO from 98 to 03 when I went to SWG.  I loved UO however I think SWG was better because the crafting was much deeper than UO was, plus you couldnt steal someones gear after killing them.  Yes Gear did break after time but that was ok.   Honestly there will never be a populated MMORPG like UO because it is such a niche game that honestly will not make enough money to be profitable.   LOA is trying to do it but while it has very good qualities it will be for so few people that it just will not make money.   Honestly if you never enjoyed another MMORPG outside of UO then MMORPGS really are not for you.   I enjoyed UO, FFXI, SWG, WOW, and FFXIV as MMORPGS.  I also played about a dozen others from Rift, to SWTOR to ArcheAge.   Honestly WOW (Vanilla to end of TBC) was my number one most enjoyable time followed by SWG then UO.   
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Recommend you play Atlas. Then all those games you currently don't like will start to seem awesome.
    NorseGodCoatedXarkoMrMelGibsonScotMaurgrim

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Azmodeus said:
    OP, Legends of Aria is the game you are looking for.    
    I tried LoA a few months ago maybe it has improved since , but it felt like a generic UO attempt with worse gfx and gameplay than UO 2d did in 98 ……. I guess I expect a game developed with todays technology to at least be as good as a game made 20+ years ago 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Amathe said:
    Recommend you play Atlas. Then all those games you currently don't like will start to seem awesome.
    Ouch
    Scot
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I think the better question is why didn't UO continue to update and evolve to keep people interested.

Runescape don't have the problem.  Game keep evolving.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    It is called EVE, but perhaps you missed the memo?

;)
    MrMelGibsonScotUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118
    edited January 2019
    Kyleran said:
    It is called EVE, but perhaps you missed the memo?

;)
    Eve got bought by pearl abyss whom own black desert online =(((((( It's dededed, it just doesn't know it yet. 
    not to mention the dwindling player count for almost a decade =/ 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    SBFord said:
    If no MMO in 20+ years has held your attention, maybe "MMO" isn't the genre for you? :D
    @SBFord Lol, I was literally about to post the same thing. He reminds me of the otter who keeps eating a watermelon, even though he clearly hates it.

hallucigenocideScotSailorMomUngoodPhaserlightDwaaawfful
  • pizzaguyindeedpizzaguyindeed Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Lineage 2? The community on classic servers like Skelth is gold. And it's open world pvp with little safe zones, that pushes you to be wide awake at all times or else
  • AmazingGamingAmazingGaming Member CommonPosts: 9
    Ultima online was my first MMO but once Lineage 2 was released I totally got engaged in L2 as its graphics and huge open world kinda amazed me.
    Scot
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    And it's likely nothing will...

L2 was entertaining for the politics.  The graphics, performance, engine, movement, class design, balance, and game mechanics left a lot (and I mean a LOT) to be desired.

It was also more 100x more grindy than EQ with Hell Levels...  and nothing about the PvE in that game was fun.

But participating in the in-game politics was definitely fun... at least for a while.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Maurgrim said:

Agree.  I think the bigger issue is that I'm not likely to just ump all of my time into ONE GAME anymore.  It's not possible.  Even if a game is good, I get burnt out on it if all I do is sit in front of the computer and play - exclusively - that game.
    Maurgrim
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited February 2019
    The closest thing I've found to a hybrid of Everquest and Ultima Online is Wurm Online, but frankly it's more like Ultima ONline, but without the dungeons and RPG core.

It has corpse runs--and some death penalty--like Everquest. It has no in-game radar and its in-game map has no GPS--this is more like original Everquest too.

It's an extensive sandbox. It has PvP servers. It has terraformable terrain.

Look here--I think it's the best introduction for UO players:

Wurm Unlimited is the player server version. Right now it's $30 on steam, but when ti's discounted it's as low as $7. It allows you to play on your PC or create a player server. You can customize it. For example, you can increase the experience rate has high as you want. I don't recommend trying to play on the official servers without paying $$$. The sub fee is about $20 for 3 months.

Here's a recent PvP vid--I think from chaos server--showing some ship travel and pvp. You can attack others on ships btw.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    .... yah.. nothing like walking into an MMO and thinking "Wow, there is a lot of people here , why can't they all kick my ass"

If you have an itch to be killed by other players, there are plenty of MMO's out there that will provide that, like Ark, Conan Exiles, Rust, H1Z1, Life is Feudal, Wurm, Mortal Online, Albion Online, Gloria Victis, .. not to mention games like EvE, DAoC, and Archeage, if that is your thing.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.