Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria: Wherefore Art Thou? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,122
edited January 16 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria: Wherefore Art Thou? - MMORPG.com

I always knew Chronicles of Elyria was going to be a dramatic ride. It had a fiery studio lead that was mad at the current system and wanted to rebuild it from the ground up! The pitch for the game was as audacious as any I’d seen brought to Kickstarter. I went in cautiously with the assumption they would either pull a Han Solo, damn the odds and find a way, or go down in flames. Either way, I was willing to observe and lend a hand (or a handful of money).

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


«13456

Comments

  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,627
    Vaporware.

    I rather donate my cash to charity than to devs who are not obliged to finish their project in adherence to what they outlined in the crowdfunding campaign.
    Gdemamijarsku85Warhawke80ArteriusTimEisenSamhaelsiamesedadsnycplayboy78NildenChildoftheShadowsand 9 others.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    Thou art in the Gantt Charts, where thou shalt remain for all eternity.
    TimEisenazarhalInteritusnycplayboy78ChildoftheShadowsWaanSpottyGekkocoretex666

    image
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,785
    I like to think a lot of kickstarter companies come in with good intentions, but then reality sets in.  It actually funded, now you need to pull in a team, now you need to run a business, now you need to create payroll and hire talent.  Now the money actually starts to add up and you realize it is no where near enough, you vastly underestimated it.  Nothing is more heartbreaking than running a sinking ship from the start, the highs come quick as the funding comes in, the lows come even quicker as the money flow halts.  The company not talking is tons of reason of concern.
    SBFordTimEisentweedledumb99KyleranSekkerhundClutch586CryomatrixValdheimChildoftheShadowsYashaXand 4 others.
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • Warhawke80Warhawke80 Member UncommonPosts: 184


    Vaporware.



    I rather donate my cash to charity than to devs who are not obliged to finish their project in adherence to what they outlined in the crowdfunding campaign.



    I had to learn this the hard way, but I did learn.

    Never ever again
    TimEisenSabracnycplayboy78ChildoftheShadowsgastovski1YashaX
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 2,928

    Hashbrick said:

    I like to think a lot of kickstarter companies come in with good intentions, but then reality sets in.  It actually funded, now you need to pull in a team, now you need to run a business, now you need to create payroll and hire talent.  Now the money actually starts to add up and you realize it is no where near enough, you vastly underestimated it.  Nothing is more heartbreaking than running a sinking ship from the start, the highs come quick as the funding comes in, the lows come even quicker as the money flow halts.  The company not talking is tons of reason of concern.



    Kickstarter DOESN'T have to produce a product. There are no rules in kickstarter that says that. Hence, they could say, 'OH, Sorry. We find this way is untenable to do so we are stopping'. Other products have done that.
    TimEisentweedledumb99Kylerannycplayboy78ChildoftheShadowsgastovski1Lastlaughlol

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • bcbullybcbully Member RarePosts: 9,702
    edited January 16
    /applaud Well written Ms. Ford. *tips hat* Edit - still the typo king
    Post edited by bcbully on
    TimEisenGdemami
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,292
    edited January 16

    botrytis said:



    Hashbrick said:


    I like to think a lot of kickstarter companies come in with good intentions, but then reality sets in.  It actually funded, now you need to pull in a team, now you need to run a business, now you need to create payroll and hire talent.  Now the money actually starts to add up and you realize it is no where near enough, you vastly underestimated it.  Nothing is more heartbreaking than running a sinking ship from the start, the highs come quick as the funding comes in, the lows come even quicker as the money flow halts.  The company not talking is tons of reason of concern.






    Kickstarter DOESN'T have to produce a product. There are no rules in kickstarter that says that. Hence, they could say, 'OH, Sorry. We find this way is untenable to do so we are stopping'. Other products have done that.




    I've got a column, at some point, about the fact that games go against the very foundation of a Kickstarter. The original idea is a KS to raise all of the money to fund the project as pitched. Devs took that, opened a cash shop and never looked back.
    MadFrenchieWellspringTorvalGdemamiKylerantweedledumb99SabracNildenChildoftheShadowsgastovski1and 1 other.
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    I'm guessing the author doesn't have access to NDA forums, where he might not have as much to complain about.
    TimEisenOzmodanChildoftheShadowssimon155tweedledumb99
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,627
    KyleranSlapshot1188OzmodanSovrathIselinNildenChildoftheShadowsgastovski1WaanYashaXand 2 others.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited January 16
    TimEisen said:

    botrytis said:



    Hashbrick said:


    I like to think a lot of kickstarter companies come in with good intentions, but then reality sets in.  It actually funded, now you need to pull in a team, now you need to run a business, now you need to create payroll and hire talent.  Now the money actually starts to add up and you realize it is no where near enough, you vastly underestimated it.  Nothing is more heartbreaking than running a sinking ship from the start, the highs come quick as the funding comes in, the lows come even quicker as the money flow halts.  The company not talking is tons of reason of concern.






    Kickstarter DOESN'T have to produce a product. There are no rules in kickstarter that says that. Hence, they could say, 'OH, Sorry. We find this way is untenable to do so we are stopping'. Other products have done that.




    I've got a column, at some point, about the fact that games go against the very foundation of a Kickstarter. The original idea is a KS to raise all of the money to fund the project as pitched. Devs took that, opened a cash shop and never looked back.
    Remember, you can't actually compare video games to anything else at all in any manner.  Consumer relationship norms or rules no one would question elsewhere don't exist here, and you'll even upset some backers for asking why.
    KyleranNycteliosChildoftheShadows

    image
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,122
    bcbully said:
    /applaud We’ll written Ms. Ford. *tips hat*
    While I'd love to take credit, it's Tim Eisen's column :) My name goes on the news post :D
    TimEisenKyleranbcbullynycplayboy78ChildoftheShadowssimon155infomatz


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,393
    I knew this game was headed off the rails when they said there would be permadeath. 
    ChildoftheShadows

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,292
    edited January 16

    Jaedor said:

    I'm guessing the author doesn't have access to NDA forums, where he might not have as much to complain about.



    If you look at what I said above almost none of it has anything to do with what is under NDA, its about the treatment of backers and the experience so far.

    If we play the NDA card, why is it still under NDA? It was supposed to be out years ago and if what is under NDA is so alleviating, why aren't they previewing any of it? It would be an easy way to reassure backers and increase funds/sales via the store. At the least they could update the media sections on their website to show they've made some form of progress.
    GdemamiWellspringKyleranSlapshot1188OzmodanTorvalClutch586Sabracnycplayboy78ChildoftheShadowsand 7 others.
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,292

    SBFord said:


    bcbully said:

    /applaud We’ll written Ms. Ford. *tips hat*


    While I'd love to take credit, it's Tim Eisen's column :) My name goes on the news post :D



    She is lying, we are a bot. I made that clear under my last column. There is no spoon.
    SBFordWellspringKyleranNycteliosSlapshot1188tweedledumb99TorvalChildoftheShadowsinfomatz
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,121
    Welcome to the dark side, @TimEisen.

    Every businessman with an idea faces criticism.  Most don't engage their critics and try to shout them down, or call them 'the problem'.  Those that don't attack those critics probably includes most of what we'd call 'successful businessmen'.  Of those that do, there's probably fewer examples of success.

    The big question remaining for me is, when and how will SBS acknowledge the failure of their product.  This project seems caught in the gravity of failure, and will reach the inevitable point where they are simply throwing good money after bad.  Better the developers realize this before their ardent supporters.  That's when the villagers break out the pitchforks and torches.

    Sorry you gave money to these people, that is money you won't see again.  Good article.



    TimEisenGdemamiOzmodanChildoftheShadows

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,789
    edited January 16
    Well, think of it this way: it's one of the most massive and sustained live roleplaying sessions of MMORPG development...
    TimEisenNewmoonKyleranNycteliosSlapshot1188tweedledumb99UngoodChildoftheShadowsSpottyGekkoinfomatz
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,689
    Galadourn said:
    Well, think of it this way: it's one of the most massive and sustained live roleplaying session of MMORPG development...
    Definitely. It could do without the people roleplaying developers though...

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    TimEisenMadFrenchieNewmoonKyleranNycteliostweedledumb99OzmodanChildoftheShadows
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • TalaharTalahar Member UncommonPosts: 18
    "wherefore" means "why".
    Juliet complained about the fact that Romeo was a Montague, not looking for him.
    I suggest that if the author uses fancy idioms, they should at least do some research in what they mean.
    AmatheGaladournKyleranbobbymcswansonYashaXBombastusinfomatz
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,789
    lahnmir said:
    Galadourn said:
    Well, think of it this way: it's one of the most massive and sustained live roleplaying session of MMORPG development...
    Definitely. It could do without the people roleplaying developers though...

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    But THAT IS the main roleplaying part.... /lol
    lahnmirChildoftheShadowstweedledumb99
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,292
    edited January 16

    Talahar said:

    "wherefore" means "why".

    Juliet complained about the fact that Romeo was a Montague, not looking for him.

    I suggest that if the author uses fancy idioms, they should at least do some research in what they mean.



    But...I did use it right both in context and in meaning and in metaphor.../shrug As for exactly what she meant, that is complex and widely debated with several interpretations depending on where you look. I know that only because...I googled it before deciding to use it lol.
    MadFrenchieKylerantweedledumb99ChildoftheShadowsYashaXAmathe
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,785
    botrytis said:

    Hashbrick said:

    I like to think a lot of kickstarter companies come in with good intentions, but then reality sets in.  It actually funded, now you need to pull in a team, now you need to run a business, now you need to create payroll and hire talent.  Now the money actually starts to add up and you realize it is no where near enough, you vastly underestimated it.  Nothing is more heartbreaking than running a sinking ship from the start, the highs come quick as the funding comes in, the lows come even quicker as the money flow halts.  The company not talking is tons of reason of concern.



    Kickstarter DOESN'T have to produce a product. There are no rules in kickstarter that says that. Hence, they could say, 'OH, Sorry. We find this way is untenable to do so we are stopping'. Other products have done that.
    What does that have to do with good intentions turned sour, if anything you just said what I said but in a different way...
    ChildoftheShadows
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,482
    edited January 16
    Who cares? Even if this vaporware somehow manages to materialize, it's going to be bad. It's a shit game even in concept.

    An MMO with permadeath and disposable family-based characters? Ha!

    Talahar said:
    "wherefore" means "why".
    Juliet complained about the fact that Romeo was a Montague, not looking for him.
    I suggest that if the author uses fancy idioms, they should at least do some research in what they mean.
    I think wherefore works here, because "why art thou" is a completely valid question for a concept this fundamentally bad.
    TimEisenGdemamiTorvalChildoftheShadowsYashaXsimon155
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,712
    I never thought Tim could write an article where he bluntly points and puts his finger into the wound.

    You have gained a lot of my respect.

    Someone hand that man a harbinger robe!
    TimEisenWellspringKylerantweedledumb99OzmodanGdemamiChildoftheShadowsSpottyGekko
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,292

    Dakeru said:

    I never thought Tim could write an article where he bluntly points and puts his finger into the wound.

    You have gained a lot of my respect.

    Someone hand that man a harbinger robe!



    If only you could see my first drafts...every time I write I have to work it from "this will get me fired" to something I can turn in lol.
    MadFrenchieDakeruWellspringKyleranNycteliostweedledumb99NildenChildoftheShadowsTacticalZombehRukushinand 1 other.
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 866
    I said it before and people seemed to think I was an idiot for saying it but the way to fix kickstarter is for devs to post full budgets. I don't want to invest in a studio upgrading computers from serviceable to unnecessary, or KSs ignoring simple things like a basic understanding employment costs. You can separate most of the wheat from the chaff just by requiring them to post a budget and learning if they even have a rudimentary knowledge of budgeting and finance.

    I would still KS a ton of games. But I love most of the heavy, indy rpgs that come from them. I am willing to risk $50 on a hope and prayer for a good rpg that values what I do by a small, passionate team working on a nothing budget and asking for almost nothing and won't enrich themselves with it even if successful. But when it comes to mmorpgs - and the crazy budgets they ask for - I get really skeptical. It would be different if there was one being made that I really wanted and was passionate about - but none of them being made hit the notes or selling points for me that small indy games do.
    KyleranTimEisentweedledumb99GdemamiChildoftheShadows
Sign In or Register to comment.