Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited January 2019
    My favorite comment in the MassivelyOp article,  brought to you by the same person who said about a year ago there were "millions" of Richard Garriott / Ultima fans who would flock to this game if they only knew it existed so they were going to "start" doing some proper marketing.

(Doh! In my best Homer Simpson voice.)

"All the items in the store will be available through the Crown Shop interface. From what we’ve been seeing, most players don’t even know this exists"

It figures they'd even screw up on proper cash shop design, probably need to hire some professionals to help them with getting it right......for the game also maybe? 

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89
    This game is and has always been about monetization. Garriott founded the company to make games he could monetize. 

This video provides a lot of insight:

• Xee2018Xee2018 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    As I mentioned before the game is not going to be gone anytime soon, its making more money every month then previously.  Once they get the store in the game in the next release it will even make more.  They are also changing up Crowns (COTOS) 1 coto in game now will be divided up into 100 for each.  that way the crowns go from 7000gold in game to 70 gold each so people can get their hands on them easier in game.   Should be interesting to see how much it affects the in game market and the player economy.  I do agree they need to adjust the prices to be in line with other games that is for sure.  
    Xee2018 said:
    As I mentioned before the game is not going to be gone anytime soon, its making more money every month then previously.    
    Not that I doubt your word but.....link please?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited January 2019

last two twitch streams from port this month.

They are at 150k so far with 1 week to go for this month.
    Kyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Xee2018 said:

Wait, is this more money from their now bi-monthly begathons?  If so, do you honestly believe this business model has long-term viability?  I understand that there are some truly dedicated (and often heavily monetarily invested) players throwing money at the game, but what happens when that well finally goes dry?  Maybe I'm drastically underestimating how nuts the player base truly is.  Please correct me if these funds are from some other source other than their begathons.
  • DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Xee2018 said:

Wait, is this more money from their now bi-monthly begathons?  If so, do you honestly believe this business model has long-term viability?  I understand that there are some truly dedicated (and often heavily monetarily invested) players throwing money at the game, but what happens when that well finally goes dry?  Maybe I'm drastically underestimating how nuts the player base truly is.  Please correct me if these funds are from some other source other than their begathons.
    The do this every month this money is only from Friday twitch streams not the store revenue.  on another note Xee not sure if you saw todays mini patch.  All Deeds are now upgradeable in game to the next size!  And taxes have been reduced a lot for village, town, city and up.   

The best part is the upgrade costs are affordable now :)  To go from a city to a Keep is only 600 Crowns.  That's dirt cheap.   I can see upgrades becoming a huge thing now.  Also with the Tax Free ones you can upgrade as well.  They mentioned they will be adding options to convert taxed to Tax Free in the near future. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

The best part is the upgrade costs are affordable now :)  To go from a city to a Keep is only 600 Crowns.  That's dirt cheap.   I can see upgrades becoming a huge thing now.  Also with the Tax Free ones you can upgrade as well.  They mentioned they will be adding options to convert taxed to Tax Free in the near future. 
    I remember back in the olden days when we walked uphill to and from school that we used to get excited about working in game to build our settlements.  Now it's exciting that the upgrade from city to keep is on sale in the cash shop.   How times have changed.  Anyhow,  Since Richard owes me a few more episodes I strongly support other people tossing him more money so he can make those games and hopefully produce something better.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The $6999 package deal is pretty sweet. If it was $7000, then I'd say it's a cash grab.
    KyleranAragon100
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I remember back in the olden days when we walked uphill to and from school that we used to get excited about working in game to build our settlements.  Now it's exciting that the upgrade from city to keep is on sale in the cash shop.   How times have changed.  ...

Welcome to the world of next-gen gaming, lol !

Now your "progress" in RL is what determines your "progress" ingame ! :)

KyleranAragon100
    Xee2018 said:

You are underestimating gamers,  there is no monetization scheme they won't vigorously support. 

I mean, five years ago did you ever imagine SC crowd funding would cross the $200M mark with no signs of abating nor a published release date in sight?

If you said yes you are lying.

;)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    For the right price they will change the name of any of the dungeons to <Your Name or Product Here>.

I am stoked about running the Meineke Car Care Center Castle. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    For the right price they will change the name of any of the dungeons to <Your Name or Product Here>.

Why not, they do similar in real life, for a time there was a 1-800-ASK-GARY arena here in Florida,  also an Amalie Oil arena.

Your suggestion is no worse really. 

Amathe

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

Why not, they do similar in real life, for a time there was a 1-800-ASK-GARY arena here in Florida,  also an Amalie Oil arena.

Your suggestion is no worse really. 

Let's talk more about it in the Pepsi Newbie Start Area. 
    tweedledumb99Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    How do I get there from the "You're in Good Hands With Allstate" res stone?
    KyleranAmathe

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I remember back in the olden days when we walked uphill to and from school that we used to get excited about working in game to build our settlements.  Now it's exciting that the upgrade from city to keep is on sale in the cash shop.   How times have changed.  ...

Funny and so true.  What used to make MMO's unique as a hobby and so fun was the level playing field for all, rich poor, it didn't matter, everyone paid the same and everyone had the same opportunity to achieve things in the game world, there was allot of respect for people achievements.  Now as you pointed out, your success outside of the game world determines your progress in the game-world.
    KyleranXee2018Aragon100
    goboygo said:

Funny and so true.  What used to make MMO's unique as a hobby and so fun was the level playing field for all, rich poor, it didn't matter, everyone paid the same and everyone had the same opportunity to achieve things in the game world, there was allot of respect for people achievements.  Now as you pointed out, your success outside of the game world determines your progress in the game-world.
    Its true, seems todays games all backers get extra perks for player funded games.  I do like the older model back in the day as you describe, but I do understand why a person that invests to have a game made should get some reward or pay out for the investment.  At the same time though I think that after the game is funded there should be a level playing field for all, rather then rewarding those which deeper pockets all the time.   

that said I spend alot and support this game I enjoy it and like to see it reach the 5 chapters, but I also play other games which fills the blanks well I wait for certain things to be completed.
    VladamirBegemot