Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside Arena set to face plant into obscurity.

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
So who thought making a Planetside game with less classes, not as many vehicles, smaller territory, and fewer guns while charging money ($22.73 CND and that's half off for the pre-order bullshit) for it when a free to play game with more, well, everything already exists in Planetside 2 was a good idea?

I don't think it's much of a prediction to make for Planetside Next 2050 to face plant into obscurity.

Will be interesting to see the numbers on steam playing this for launch week and beyond.

What do you think will happen with this game?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

iamspamicus

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I think it will have an initial upswing of interest, then it will even out and stabilize with people that like the lobby shooter genre, and the PS IP.

The idea behind Arena is not a bad one. If they (DBG) says true to what they have been saying, and they use ideas that work in Arena, to xfer over to PS2, then I can see both games doing well.

Arena answers a lot of problems that PS2 has. People bitch about maxes, non-stop, Arena does not have those. People bitch about Infil, Arena does not have that. I could go on, but the point is, most of the big complaints have been left out of arena. While I do not think it will break any records, I do think it will be just fine.
    Palebane

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I'm with you on instant fail. The battle royale genre is quickly reaching stagnation, and its high player count requirements don't allow for modest successes. They're always either going to be wildly successful or irrelevant.
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Aeander said:
    I'm with you on instant fail. The battle royale genre is quickly reaching stagnation, and its high player count requirements don't allow for modest successes. They're always either going to be wildly successful or irrelevant.

I'm going to disagree with you on the reaching stagnation. BR is growing and continue to provide growth month over month. What you see is the small vocal minority who do not play them so they will always have a negative opinion about them. BR has a few solid years left before it fizzles out just as Rogue-like RPG, Zombie Survival, and even MMO-RPG's have. 

Right now, nothing new (or lasting) has hit the western markets other than BR's. Until the new genre comes out, you will continue to see companies develop and produce BR games.

To the topic at hand:

I have played Planetside 1 and 2 since 2003. SOE/Daybreak have always had these games in a odd spot of marketing and retention. I do not think the downfall will be genre or gameplay, I think the downfall will be Daybreak's lack of marketing to get the game into the hands of players. 
    edited January 2019
    Aeander said:

I'm going to disagree with you on the reaching stagnation. BR is growing and continue to provide growth month over month. What you see is the small vocal minority who do not play them so they will always have a negative opinion about them. BR has a few solid years left before it fizzles out just as Rogue-like RPG, Zombie Survival, and even MMO-RPG's have. 

Right now, nothing new (or lasting) has hit the western markets other than BR's. Until the new genre comes out, you will continue to see companies develop and produce BR games.

To the topic at hand:

I have played Planetside 1 and 2 since 2003. SOE/Daybreak have always had these games in a odd spot of marketing and retention. I do not think the downfall will be genre or gameplay, I think the downfall will be Daybreak's lack of marketing to get the game into the hands of players. 
    What I'm calling stagnation isn't the same thing you're talking about. I mean to say that it has reached or will soon reach saturation - the point that new BR games will have a difficult or impossible time gaining a foothold.

It's the same situation that the MOBA genre has faced for years. The top games - League of Legends, DotA2, and Smite - continue to grow, while new entries (even good ones like Dawngate) failed to gain the expected playerbase. To achieve even modest success in the MOBA genre (like Heroes of the Storm), a recognizable IP is needed.

I expect the same phenomenon here. We're already starting to see it, in fact. And it's going to be rapidly accelerated and exacerbated by the high player counts required for these games to function as advertised. Fortnite will continue to grow, while the only substantial competition will be existing competition, or major IPs like Call of Duty. Planetside is not a major IP, sorry to say.

If we're being very optimistic, there might be room for a new BR game to gain popularity by being the chocolate to everyone else's vanilla - a Battle Royale in a fantasy setting that will theoretically appeal to a different audience. Though I do fear that the window for that to happen is closing fast.
    edited January 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:

To the topic at hand:

What I'm calling stagnation isn't the same thing you're talking about. I mean to say that it has reached or will soon reach saturation - the point that new BR games will have a difficult or impossible time gaining a foothold.

It's the same situation that the MOBA genre has faced for years. The top games - League of Legends, DotA2, and Smite - continue to grow, while new entries (even good ones like Dawngate) failed to gain the expected playerbase. To achieve even modest success in the MOBA genre (like Heroes of the Storm), a recognizable IP is needed.

I expect the same phenomenon here. We're already starting to see it, in fact. And it's going to be rapidly accelerated and exacerbated by the high player counts required for these games to function as advertised. Fortnite will continue to grow, while the only substantial competition will be existing competition, or major IPs like Call of Duty. Planetside is not a major IP, sorry to say.

If we're being very optimistic, there might be room for a new BR game to gain popularity by being the chocolate to everyone else's vanilla - a Battle Royale in a fantasy setting that will theoretically appeal to a different audience. Though I do fear that the window for that to happen is closing fast.
    ...And we had new mobas. People played and enjoyed said mobas. They had, and some still has, a faithful community.

Yes, they are not as successful in numbers as the big boys... But again, do they need to be? I don't think so.

Instead of trying to be the top, just make sure you are a good game first. And we'll be all good.
    We had new mobas, and most of those mobas have been shuttered, often quickly. Infinite Crisis, Dawngate, Paragon, Master x Master, SMNC, the Lord of the Rings moba, and others never really had the chance to stabilize. They crashed too quickly.

Just launching and existing isn't enough. They don't need to be Fortnite, but they do need a strong enough concurrent player count to keep matches full, queue times within reason, and new content in production. Anything less than that is failure.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    i don't get the idea of this game.

what is the "pro" again compared to the original planetside2?
    "balanced" classes and an "even" battlefield?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Nyctelios said:
    Aeander said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:

To the topic at hand:

...And we had new mobas. People played and enjoyed said mobas. They had, and some still has, a faithful community.

Yes, they are not as successful in numbers as the big boys... But again, do they need to be? I don't think so.

Instead of trying to be the top, just make sure you are a good game first. And we'll be all good.
    We had new mobas, and most of those mobas have been shuttered, often quickly. Infinite Crisis, Dawngate, Paragon, Master x Master, SMNC, the Lord of the Rings moba, and others never really had the chance to stabilize. They crashed too quickly.

Just launching and existing isn't enough. They don't need to be Fortnite, but they do need a strong enough concurrent player count to keep matches full, queue times within reason, and new content in production. Anything less than that is failure.
    Again... all of them shutted down by the publishers because they had unreasonable expectations of said mobas.

Master X Master was praised by it's unique twin stick shooter gameplay and swap mechanics, and it's PVE focused content.

People played that game. Lots of people.

Lots like LoL? Hell no. Is that a issue? No, it is not.

Your argument is as solid as jello. Publishers says that sort of shit all the time. Just open your google and type "failed to meet sells expectations..." and let the google fill the rest. Or just enter it and see how many news we have about games selling millions and millions of copies, yet failling to meet expectations. Resident Evil 7 is an example, for Capcom failed to meet expectations. 

The issue are not the game, nor the market, nor the community.

The issue is their expectations.
    The issue is irrelevant. I liked Master x Master. I loved Dawngate and thought it was the best MOBA ever made. I thought Paragon was a shit Smite knockoff, but it at least had some audience. 

The cause doesn't matter. If the oversaturated market doesn't allow a game to meet expectations, the end result is a homeless community. That's what matters. That is objective fact. These games failed. Some, like Dawngate and Paragon had functional audiences. Others, like SMNC or Infinite Crisis, did not. In every case, reality is that these games were late to the party, failed to achieve expectations (regardless of the plausibility of said expectations) and disappointed their communities quickly. 

It is your argument that is built on sand, because you're obsessed with your speculation on "why it happened" rather than "what happened." 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I think it's going to fail because of the 50% discount: This looks like marketing strategy by a company who knows that their best chance of selling the game is before anyone's had time to review it.