Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Role playing is about creating something...

t0nydt0nyd Member UncommonPosts: 474
edited January 11 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

##Before someone gives me the same old tired response of, you dont want to play and mmorpg you want to play pen and paper, actually read this and think about it.## 

I get that people play these games for varying reasons. Personally I play these kinds of games to create. My friends and I have begun playing a bit of pen and paper over the internet and its turning into something that I enjoy. Its very free form. The DM created the world and we created our characters. As we play our characters they evolve based upon choices that we make. Very little is gated. If you want to try it, you try it.  If you keep trying it, you get better at it and it may be evolved into something new.

I began by deciding on a theme. I wanted to do something priestly since I never play priests. A friend went the priest route so I opted to do something different. I imagined a melee character that was more about supporting the people around him than anything else. I already learned how to use a warhammer due to initially going the priest route so i kept it. I chose to learn how to use mail armor, a shield, and the hammer. I barked out orders to those around me and I learned how to boost their defenses as well as my own when they were successful.

I encountered another chance to branch out into new abilities. I chose necromancy. I have always liked the thought of a melee necromancer. Animate the dead and fight alongside them. I figure with my ability to bolster ally defenses, this could get interesting. At first I focus on doing small things. I attempt to channel my life energy through my hammer to cause a bit of extra damage. It works. My ability to deal damage so far is very limited and I have found a way but it requires sacrifice. I am enjoying this character concept. I study creatures, dissecting them attempting to figure out how they work. I improve and eventually learn how to use my life force and others life force to animate the dead. They are mostly just puppets but its a start. 

A teammate loses his arm at the elbow in an encounter. Our first real loss. I preserve his arm and use my knownledge of anatomy and animation I reattach the newly undead arm. I use the life force of the group to do it and it almost kills the beneficiary/victim, however you want to view it. he doesnt like the look of the arm so he hides it under a gauntlet. Im fine with it. 

This is what is missing for me in MMORPGs. Not simply the player interaction but the ability to make decisions that actually matter. What does grafting an undead arm to someone mean morally and literally. Will the undeath spread throughout his body? Does the priest in the party object on religious or moral grounds? There is objective and subjective effects in play. I like being able to design my characters personality and have these choices matter in the game world. Would a Paladin become friends and adventure with a death knight? I want these choices to exist with an MMORPG. I want more than, I will wield an axe. I get the same exact axe skills that you do.  I want something like, I wield a hammer. I learn some necromancy. I combine this hammer with necromancy. 

I want choice....
Post edited by t0nyd on
ArteriusAmatheAlBQuirky

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member RarePosts: 1,761
    t0nyd said:

##Before someone gives me the same old tired response of, you dont want to play and mmorpg you want to play pen and paper, actually read this and think about it.## 

I get that people play these games for varying reasons. Personally I play these kinds of games to create. My friends and I have begun playing a bit of pen and paper over the internet and its turning into something that I enjoy. Its very free form. The DM created the world and we created our characters. As we play our characters they evolve based upon choices that we make. Very little is gated. If you want to try it, you try it.  If you keep trying it, you get better at it and it may be evolved into something new.

I began by deciding on a theme. I wanted to do something priestly since I never play priests. A friend went the priest route so I opted to do something different. I imagined a melee character that was more about supporting the people around him than anything else. I already learned how to use a warhammer due to initially going the priest route so i kept it. I chose to learn how to use mail armor, a shield, and the hammer. I barked out orders to those around me and I learned how to boost their defenses as well as my own when they were successful.

I encountered another chance to branch out into new abilities. I chose necromancy. I have always liked the thought of a melee necromancer. Animate the dead and fight alongside them. I figure with my ability to bolster ally defenses, this could get interesting. At first I focus on doing small things. I attempt to channel my life energy through my hammer to cause a bit of extra damage. It works. My ability to deal damage so far is very limited and I have found a way but it requires sacrifice. I am enjoying this character concept. I study creatures, dissecting them attempting to figure out how they work. I improve and eventually learn how to use my life force and others life force to animate the dead. They are mostly just puppets but its a start. 

A teammate loses his arm at the elbow in an encounter. Our first real loss. I preserve his arm and use my knownledge of anatomy and animation I reattach the newly undead arm. I use the life force of the group to do it and it almost kills the beneficiary/victim, however you want to view it. he doesnt like the look of the arm so he hides it under a gauntlet. Im fine with it. 

This is what is missing for me in MMORPGs. Not simply the player interaction but the ability to make decisions that actually matter. What does grafting an undead arm to someone mean morally and literally. Will the undeath spread throughout his body? Does the priest in the party object on religious or moral grounds? There is objective and subjective effects in play. I like being able to design my characters personality and have these choices matter in the game world. Would a Paladin become friends and adventure with a death knight? I want these choices to exist with an MMORPG. I want more than, I will wield an axe. I get the same exact axe skills that you do.  I want something like, I wield a hammer. I learn some necromancy. I combine this hammer with necromancy. 

I want choice....
    Try DDO. It's about as close as you will get to what you want.

But keep in mind, Choice, also means you can make bad choices.

Not dissing your role play game, but truth is, I have never even heard of a game where a Priest/Healer type build could not heal something that some mixed class necromancer could.

But again.. Dungeon and Dragons Online, it was pretty close to the 3.5 rule set when I quit a few years back, not sure where it is now, but, it's F2P, so you can give it a try and see if it scratches this Role Play itch.
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
    Currently Playing Eternal Crusade, because killing people with a Chainsword is more fun then a sniper rifle.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member UncommonPosts: 1,719
    In MMORPG you allow to chose when you interact with other players .
    I say this cause i think you talking about MMORPG

I had see people loyal with they friend while some betray other , some being ass hat while some being nice . Some chose to become top while other stay casual . Some chose to play and other to quit . Some join guild while other stay solo

In MMORPG you don't role with NPC , you role player with other with the role you chose , being good or bad will get different result

It's sad that game maker don't understand this and you see bad games here and there with "good story" that worst than singleplayer RPG
  • t0nydt0nyd Member UncommonPosts: 474
    edited January 11
    Ungood said:
    t0nyd said:

I want choice....

Not dissing your role play game, but truth is, I have never even heard of a game where a Priest/Healer type build could not heal something that some mixed class necromancer could.

But again.. Dungeon and Dragons Online, it was pretty close to the 3.5 rule set when I quit a few years back, not sure where it is now, but, it's F2P, so you can give it a try and see if it scratches this Role Play itch.
     I didnt heal him. I re-attached his dead arm an animated it. His arm isnt living. The priest couldnt heal a missing arm, attempted to but failed rolls to reattach it. One of the interesting things that came of it was, I learned how to empower undead that I animate by sacrificing my health which also empowers his undead arm. Fun Fun...
    Post edited by t0nyd on
  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,261
    edited January 11
    I think people with a vivid imagination like that are really rare these days, especially in video games. The games don’t have systems to support these kinds of interactions. My guess is that most people prefer to be told what to do. If you have a good enough imagination, you dont need systems to create, but most people will think you are crazy and laugh at you or ignore you. Might be better off writing a book, imo.
    Post edited by Palebane on
    AlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• MisterZebubMisterZebub Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    You want choice? Yeah well so do millions of other players. Good luck finding a game that can allow even a fraction of players to make world shifting changes.
    AlBQuirkyJean-Luc_Picard

"Years have passed and I keep thinking, what a fool I've been
    I look back into the past and think of way back then
    I know that I lost everything I thought that I could win
    I guess I should have listened to my friends

All the burning bridges that are falling after me
    All the lonely feelings and the burning memories
    Everyone I left behind each time I closed the door
    Burning bridges lost forevermore”

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 25,537
    Palebane said:
    I think people with a vivid imagination like that are really rare these days, especially in video games. The games don’t have systems to support these kinds of interactions. My guess is that most people prefer to be told what to do. If you have a good enough imagination, you dont need systems to create, but most people will think you are crazy and laugh at you or ignore you. Might be better off writing a book, imo.
    Nah, they aren't any more rare than 200 years ago.

I would even offer that there are more opportunities for creative people now with the internet/self publishing.

I do think you are very correct that these games don't quite support that type of interaction very well. Especially when you mix people who are more interested in "gettin' gud!"

PalebaneUngoodAlBQuirky

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,964
    I said in other threads and I'll say it here again:

MMORPGs are not what you should be playing then, go and play an heavy RP Neverwinter Nights (1 or 2) server which has over 60 players always online doing player created content with Dungeon Masters, in real time.

Those people put their heart and their soul into it, some taking out of their own pockets to keep the servers afloat.

But I'll disagree with a thing you said: Rpg is not about creation... RPG is about absolute control over your actions and absolute lack of control over any other element.

It seems modern MMORPGs and other games goes the other way around, forcing you to stick with things you don't necessary look for while giving you tools to control anything but your character.
    Palebaneblueturtle13AlBQuirkyblamo2000
    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,261
    Sovrath said:
    Palebane said:
    I think people with a vivid imagination like that are really rare these days, especially in video games.
    Nah, they aren't any more rare than 200 years ago.
    Perhaps. And perhaps modern society has caused those muscles to atrophy.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Nyctelios said:

MMORPGs are not what you should be playing then, go and play an heavy RP Neverwinter Nights (1 or 2) server which has over 60 players always online doing player created content with Dungeon Masters, in real time.

Those people put their heart and their soul into it, some taking out of their own pockets to keep the servers afloat.

But I'll disagree with a thing you said: Rpg is not about creation... RPG is about absolute control over your actions and absolute lack of control over any other element.

It seems modern MMORPGs and other games goes the other way around, forcing you to stick with things you don't necessary look for while giving you tools to control anything but your character.
    I think neither are you are seeing eye to eye on what a rpg is.

If seems you are more tied into the "bits." Making decisions on abilities and skills, nurturing a character from nothing to something.

He's talking about character and backstory and creating a type of narrative that acts as a framework for one's actions.

I wasn't there for Everquest or even Ultima Online but I wonder if, when those games launched, they had more people who were interested in the story/character/narrative.

t0nydAlBQuirky

• UngoodUngood Member RarePosts: 1,761
    t0nyd said:
    Ungood said:
    t0nyd said:

I want choice....

I didnt heal him. I re-attached his dead arm an animated it. His arm isnt living. The priest couldnt heal a missing arm, attempted to but failed rolls to reattach it. One of the interesting things that came of it was, I learned how to empower undead that I animate by sacrificing my health which also empowers his undead arm. Fun Fun...
    What game system was this?

As I have no knowledge of any game system that makes a cleric/priest roll to succeed at healing, or even allows for what you just described, and I have played PbP games right up to 5e, and currently play d20 pathfinder, and what you described sounds like some Home Brew system, maybe a heavy modified LARP/Masquerade type game.

But since you said it was online, care to give us a link to the game system, and I am wondering, I am sure others are too.
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
    Currently Playing Eternal Crusade, because killing people with a Chainsword is more fun then a sniper rifle.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,964
    Sovrath said:
    Nyctelios said:

If seems you are more tied into the "bits." Making decisions on abilities and skills, nurturing a character from nothing to something.

He's talking about character and backstory and creating a type of narrative that acts as a framework for one's actions.

I wasn't there for Everquest or even Ultima Online but I wonder if, when those games launched, they had more people who were interested in the story/character/narrative.

I was talking about the RPG bit itself, not what MMORPGs could mean as a whole genre.

If I misundertood the OP, my bad.

RPG is all about role playing and roleplaying is to defy structured narrative. It's a paradox in video games if you think about it.

RPG was born when people playing board games created custom rules because they refused to follow set losses or restricted combat mechanics.
    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
    Nyctelios said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nyctelios said:

I was talking about the RPG bit itself, not what MMORPGs could mean as a whole genre.

If I misundertood the OP, my bad.

RPG is all about role playing and roleplaying is to defy structured narrative. It's a paradox in video games if you think about it.

RPG was born when people playing board games created custom rules because they refused to follow set losses or restricted combat mechanics.
    Wow! I didn't get that from  your post. Thanks for the clarification.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 4,600
    Video games will never do what tabletop games can, simply because they are "finite" with canned dialogues with NPCs and a very limited choice for ways to deal with problems in a game.

What tabletop games offer is a DM/GM that reacts to player actions, which video games just can't do right now, nor in the distant future. So we compromise...

Do our dialogue choices mean anything? Rarely. Do our interactions in a video game make any difference? Rarely. Does the world change as we trudge along? Almost never.

@Sovrath... About EQ... I did not see any abundance of "backstory players" there. It was all about going to a camping spot and level, move to the next one and level, move to the next one and repeat until max level and "raiding the planes" came into play.

I actually met more players in City of Heroes with fleshed out backstories and active roleplaying then any other MMORPG I've played. Some groups would argue about who would stay and keep the bad guys busy while the others escaped, in a fight gone bad.

Most MMOs are ALL about combat and advancement, not roleplaying.
    t0nydMendel

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Video games will never do what tabletop games can, simply because they are "finite" with canned dialogues with NPCs and a very limited choice for ways to deal with problems in a game.

What tabletop games offer is a DM/GM that reacts to player actions, which video games just can't do right now, nor in the distant future. So we compromise...

Do our dialogue choices mean anything? Rarely. Do our interactions in a video game make any difference? Rarely. Does the world change as we trudge along? Almost never.

@Sovrath... About EQ... I did not see any abundance of "backstory players" there. It was all about going to a camping spot and level, move to the next one and level, move to the next one and repeat until max level and "raiding the planes" came into play.

I actually met more players in City of Heroes with fleshed out backstories and active roleplaying then any other MMORPG I've played. Some groups would argue about who would stay and keep the bad guys busy while the others escaped, in a fight gone bad.

This is where phasing and server should come in. If you make an important choice, you get sent to the server where others made that same choice. That is if these choices require it. So let's say I made a choice to blow some landmark up. I would then be sent to a server where that landmark is blown up. I participated in that act along with others. This helps a story flow.

Server choice seems arbitrary to me. I'd rather server choice actually mean something and honestly not really be a choice at all. I would start everyone on a mega server and disseminate people across servers based upon their choices. Friends can still follow you I'm making the same choice or deciding not to participate in that choice and simply follow you to your server. 

These choices could affect not only storyline but server rule sets. Maybe certain factions don't exist on your server or maybe certain land masses don't exist. Maybe certain races were eliminated. There are many methods to allow a player to have choices that affect the game, no one wants to put in that work...
    AlBQuirky
  • ayumarcanayumarcan Member CommonPosts: 3
    Well, there is choice in Lineage 2 Classic and that's one of the reasons why I like it. You're not "the chosen one" who completes dumb quests, there's an open world with guilds, clans and whatnot. You can influence the ingame policy, so I find L2C a really interesting game which doesn't only consist of grindeo. 
    AlBQuirky
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,537
    Path of Exile will be a good fit for you when it comes to character building. You can do all kinds of crazy combinations.

Of course not nearly all of them will be end game viable... as someone said earlier, that freedom of choice includes the chance to make poor ones lol
    t0nyd

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Path of Exile will be a good fit for you when it comes to character building. You can do all kinds of crazy combinations.

Of course not nearly all of them will be end game viable... as someone said earlier, that freedom of choice includes the chance to make poor ones lol
    I like designing characters for specific functions. I also like having jack-of-all-trades characters. if I design a character to solo then I don't expect it to necessarily group will and vice versa. If I design the perfect healer, I expect in significant damage output. That's why I like designing my own characters, I prefer to choose my own weaknesses. 
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 2,684
    AlBQuirky said:

While the state of RPing in MMORPGs is indeed a compromise, I'm not so sure it really needs to be.  The individual touch of a DM/GM certainly doesn't scale up with individuals occupying those roles, but it might be possible to reward RP activity using social media principles.  Let everyone vote for good roleplaying along certain lines, depending on how the individuals perceived the players actions.  Running away from a fair fight might be considered Cowardly behavior.  But being a Coward might have some social benefits, which might encourage RPing a coward.  Same with Thrifty or Generous or Pious or Worldly.  How a player acts in front of others determines their social reputation.  And those 'others' are fellow players rather than a DM/GM.

Sure, there would need to be loads of precautions to prevent human nature from taking over and abusing the vote.  Simple things like a maximum number of votes per day, must have been in the same location as the 'candidate' in the current session, limiting a number of consecutive days a player can vote for any specific character, etc.  Some specific interfaces (trading, specifically) could tie directly into Generous traits to discourage twinking.  Generous people are those with the crowd of beggars following them around.  :)

It would be difficult to develop and control, but no more difficult than any other complex game system.  At least, it would be an attempt to tackle the DM/GM issue.

blueturtle13AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.