Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Frustrating Part of Gaming Community

124»

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,145
    Sovrath said:
    Maybe that's my frustration of certain members of the community, some think every game needs to be for them.
    ...more like some think there must be a game that caters to them only.
    parrotpholk
  • aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Sovrath said:
    It still holds merit.

Pve/pvp servers - pve/pvp games.

Just choose games that have features you want and stay away from games that have features you dislike.

Maybe that's my frustration of certain members of the community, some think every game needs to be for them.
    Well, game studios seem to love the design principles that you want to play because they keep trying to make and launch those games. And then once the game launches, suddenly the studios keep doing these hard pivots away from those design principles.

So maybe you should be frustrated with game studios, for wanting to stay in business more than they want to stick to the design principles that you prefer.
    Gdemami
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    edited January 9
    The thing i hate about the Community is people who think everyone has played for years and there is no such thing as Noobs....Those are the people who dont help Noobies and think everyone new to game should already be a Pro....
    Post edited by Quizar1973 on
    Ungood
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 31,496
    Scot said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:

How many features are foundational to a game?  If someone gets upset about the single, core, most important feature of a game, then yeah, he's being ridiculous.  But if there are ten things you're looking for in a game, no game has all ten, and a particular game has nine of the ten, you might play it anyway even though that tenth thing on your list is definitely not what you're looking for.
    First, there cannot be 10 foundational things to a game.
    You may be confusing 'features' with 'foundational' (as I use it here).

Secondly, given that PvE vs. PvP is used to define entire servers - and that for many games that designation shows up on the server selection screen - it seems to me that wouldn't be just a feature but the absolute first consideration any gamer would ponder before entering a world.

So if you log onto a PvP server and immediately try to circumvent PvP you're doing it wrong.

It is as idiotic as logging into a PvE server and suggesting the developers allow open world PvP and begin making changes in that direction.
    If every game offered the choice of separate PVE/PVP only servers then your argument holds some merit.

It still holds merit.

Pve/pvp servers - pve/pvp games.

Just choose games that have features you want and stay away from games that have features you dislike.

Or go realm versus realm, all the fun of PVP and if you don't like it you can ignore it.
    Funny you should bring that up, Jan 12th the Phoenix rises.

Just following your sage advice....

;)
    Scot

"I should run a marathon backwards. So I could see what second place look like" Royce da 5'9"

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 ATM.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 19,936
    Quizzical said:
    How many features are foundational to a game?  If someone gets upset about the single, core, most important feature of a game, then yeah, he's being ridiculous.  But if there are ten things you're looking for in a game, no game has all ten, and a particular game has nine of the ten, you might play it anyway even though that tenth thing on your list is definitely not what you're looking for.
    First, there cannot be 10 foundational things to a game.
    You may be confusing 'features' with 'foundational' (as I use it here).

Secondly, given that PvE vs. PvP is used to define entire servers - and that for many games that designation shows up on the server selection screen - it seems to me that wouldn't be just a feature but the absolute first consideration any gamer would ponder before entering a world.

So if you log onto a PvP server and immediately try to circumvent PvP you're doing it wrong.

It is as idiotic as logging into a PvE server and suggesting the developers allow open world PvP and begin making changes in that direction.
    You're arguing that PVP (or not PVP) is always foundational to a game, and furthermore, that it always should be.  But there can be many degrees of just how important PVP is to a game, not just all or nothing.

If a game is designed and advertised as being all about hardcore, non-consensual PVP, then yes, people interested in PVE shouldn't pick up such a game and then complain about getting ganked.

But if a game has a long list of features, and is presented as if PVP is a relatively small portion of the game, then players can reasonably complain if actually playing the game mostly consists of getting slaughtered by higher levels with no hope of doing anything besides dying a lot.

By the same token, suppose that a game had many features, with crafting as just one of the features, and not presented as particularly important.  But then when you actually play the game, you discover that all of the gear you need to do anything else at all comes from crafting, and you have to spend the bulk of your time crafting in the game.  People who picked up the game thinking that they were mostly going to go questing or raiding or ganking would have a legitimate beef.  They knew that the game had crafting, but it wasn't presented as being dominated by crafting.
    KyleranUngoodmmolou
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Quizzical said:

You're arguing that PVP (or not PVP) is always foundational to a game, and furthermore, that it always should be.  
    Absolutely not... I play a game now, and I do so on the PvE server as the PvP doesn't interest me.
    What I don't do is play on the PvP server and then complain about PvP being 'forced' onto me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 31,496
    Quizzical said:

You're arguing that PVP (or not PVP) is always foundational to a game, and furthermore, that it always should be.  
    Absolutely not... I play a game now, and I do so on the PvE server as the PvP doesn't interest me.
    What I don't do is play on the PvP server and then complain about PvP being 'forced' onto me.
    Fortunately for you the game offers players a choice, not every interesting game does therefore it is normal for those wishing to play it for features they enjoy to ask devs to alter ones the feel are not to their liking.

It isn't reasonable to ask a PVP centric game like EVE to standup a PVE only server,  but recently CCP decided to address the totally (IMO) borked war dec mechanic after years of player complaints calling for change.

Truth is they finally caved when their metric gathering grew robust enough to confirm what had long been claimed, customers were clearly leaving the game forever after being relentlessly griefer by those who leveraged the poor designs to maximum advantage.

It's always surprising to see how many gamers care only about winning big,  regardless of how they win.  

Torval

"I should run a marathon backwards. So I could see what second place look like" Royce da 5'9"

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 ATM.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 19,936
    Quizzical said:
    If a game has both PVP and PVE servers, then you can make that argument.  But that doesn't seem to be common anymore.  I can't think of a game that I've played in the last 13 years that did.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,512
    I need to mention this interesting fact; Upon WoW's launch till the end of WotLK (that's when I quit, so maybe even longer) PvE servers had weak PvE progression and (almost) all top PvE guilds were on PvP servers. I had several accounts and played on US and EU both. This was changed when I got in for Legion. 

What do you guys think about that?
    blueturtle13
    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Butterfly FX from The Butterfly Effect by Moonspell
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro. 
    • Adopted @Kyleran as my virtual father - I put him in my signature since he worries about me all the time and this way he can keep track of me when I talk to strangers here!
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Currently Playing: Destiny 2: Forsaken / Spider-Man: Turf Wars
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 109
    edited January 10
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    If a game has both PVP and PVE servers, then you can make that argument.  But that doesn't seem to be common anymore.  I can't think of a game that I've played in the last 13 years that did.
    I have no control over that; however, I'd throw my support 100% behind having PvP and PvE servers for any game.

I prefer PvE and the PvP servers are like flypaper for idiots.
    It makes the PvE servers much better.
    Post edited by WargfootYV on
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,886
    I need to mention this interesting fact; Upon WoW's launch till the end of WotLK (that's when I quit, so maybe even longer) PvE servers had weak PvE progression and (almost) all top PvE guilds were on PvP servers. I had several accounts and played on US and EU both. This was changed when I got in for Legion. 

What do you guys think about that?
    That sounds like it depends on your understanding of who PvEers are.  PvE "progression" and "top guilds" are both determined by a focus on raiding, but a lot of PvEers don't like raiding.  Raiding teams often include a lot of players who are PvPers when not raiding.  "Hardcore" PvEers on the other hand tend to be found playing solo, crafting, questing, collecting, and pursuing money-making schemes... all the activities that don't require damage maximization, close teamwork, and fast reflexes, which are what PvP and Raiding have in common (excluding solo PvP for the teamwork thing).
    Kyleran
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.