Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not So MMO: Last Year: The Nightmare Review - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNot So MMO: Last Year: The Nightmare Review - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

It’s late, and you and your three other friends wake up in your old school and you don’t know how you got there. You realize all too soon that there are forces beyond this Earth that have banded together against you, and they would like nothing more than to murder you and your friends. The Nightmare has truly begun and you need to do everything you can to escape the school with your lives. This is our review of Last Year: The Nightmare.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    I thought this article was a retrospective on the annus horribilis for MMOish games that 2018 was.
    PalebaneVaselBillMurphyTsiyaTacticalZombehSamhaelnycplayboy78
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    I do like the idea of this sort of genre but it seems rather unforgiving. You are going to get that one guy who has not played before who gets you all killed. :)
    nycplayboy78
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    edited January 2019
    The only thing I agree with in this article is the score. This game is so far from a DbD clone it's ridiculous. Just because DbD is similar doesn't make every game after it its clone. Otherwise all FPS are Wolfenstein clones.

DBD is fun in its own right, but all you literally do is run around avoiding the killer, try to activate generators, and escape. Last Year allows you to choose classes, fight killers, craft items unique to each class, and work together to escape unique situations. There's a ton more interaction as a survivor. The killers also get more than just passive abilities. Being a killer also has other interesting dynamics.

So please don't call it a DLC or clone. That's extremely disrespectful to both games imo. They're 2 very different experiences. As far as repetitive gameplay goes.. show me a game that doesn't have it.
    Post edited by mcrippins on
    HyokaTacticalZombehRenndsneakerz007nycplayboy78chojin2k
  • ookibakaookibaka Member UncommonPosts: 38
    First in its genre? I guess Evolve and both Left 4 Dead don't count then.
    RemyVorender
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    edited January 2019

ookibaka said:

First in its genre? I guess Evolve and both Left 4 Dead don't count then.

That's fair. Honestly forgot about L4D but that was definitely first. Edited my post.
  • AstronissAstroniss Member CommonPosts: 7
    edited January 2019
    This review honestly made me laugh, a clone of Dead by Daylight? This made my day. Clearly you do not know how to appreciate good games, whether is clone or not, why complain about that? You're literally saying that this game is a cheap clone of Dead by Daylight.

And you have the courage to give it a 7.5.
    Hyoka
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226

Scot said:

I thought this article was a retrospective on the annus horribilis for MMOish games that 2018 was.

I totally thought this was a not so thinly veiled parody on it as well.
    nycplayboy78
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    edited January 2019
    To be fair. The game was originally scheduled to come out in 2016, the same year as Dead By Daylight. But Last Year got in legal trouble with the owners of Friday the 13th because they said the killer looked too much like Jason. And this is when they were releasing their own Friday the 13th asymmetrical game.