Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RTX2060 announced

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Quizzical said:
    DMKano said:
    Ridelynn said:
    The 2060 isn’t in a bad spot. But lets just consider a generation earlier.

1060 6Gb roughly equaled the 980 (non-Ti) in performance.

980 had an MSRP of $549 at release.
    1060 had an MSRP of $249 at release.

And that is my issue with the 2000 series strategy in general: erosion of value. Not that value is entirely absent.

Now I won’t discount that Pascal is a good architecture, and in general represented a decent value across the board — maybe one of the best nVidia has ever had. But before Pascal came out, you could say the same thing about Maxwell, and before that Keplar.

Turing definitely reverses that trend to the detriment of the consumer, and in a very dramatic and glaring fashion.

The reality is that all the video cards are more expensive now.

I think the only thing that matters is the price for performance. 

This is a 350 dollar card that is giving you the same performance as the 450 dollar previous gen.

Just checked newegg- MSI has 6GB 1060s for $300-350.

The prices just never fully recovered after the crypto mine hike 

If all video cards are more expensive now, then why aren't Radeons?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 601296377

MSRP is $229 for the 8 GB version.
     Radeon VII = $700 air cooled card. Vega 64 was a $500 MSRP card.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    As I mentioned above, testing has shown that turning ray tracing on with the 2060 just kills performance to unacceptable levels.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019/01/20/battlefield_v_nvidia_ray_tracing_rtx_2060_performance/

The saving grace is, you can run 4k with the card as long as you use DX11.  DX12 is a bit much of a performance hit.   Just like a 1070, you can run 4k at the low end with the card.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    2060 seems fairly good. Right up there with the 2070 in some benches.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    DMKano said: 
    SlyLoK said:

It's around 1070 TI performance.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-01-16-geforce-rtx-2060-benchmarks-7001
    I said in some. Which it is. Move along.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    I found this interesting - The GTX 1080 FE had a launch price of $699 while the RTX 2060 FE has a launch price of $349. According to the extensive TechPowerUp review, the stock RTX 2060 is only 2% behind the GTX 1080 at 1440p - https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2060_Founders_Edition/images/relative-performance_2560-1440.png
    Which is interesting while costing HALF aka 50% at launch of the GTX 1080.
    While that is impressive and interesting to me, the GTX 2060 pricing would of been better -$50 less.

I am going to wait for real tests before believing the 2060 is even close to a 1080.   As we all know the released benchmarks for the 2070, 2080's did not come close to the actual benchmaks,   It is probably closer to a 1070.  Secondly anyone attempting to do ray tracing on this card is in for a rude awakening.
    Those are already real tests.

In reviews RTX 2060 seems to be equal to or a bit ahead of GTX 1070 Ti, but losing a bit to GTX 1080.
    ROFL!!!

I don't think that people in the market for a 2060 plan on doing any ray-tracing at all, they are there because of the bang for the buck.

1070ti - $450-470+
    1080s - $750

So people are looking at RTX2060s as getting 1070ti performance for $350

I don't know why that is - ROFL?

Now consider those who also wanted to buy Anthem or Battlefield V ($50-$60) and you get that for free with an RTX2060 - that's not a bad deal

I can see why some are going to jump and get RTX2060s - as you get decent performance at 2K and below - and the price compared to other nvidia cards is right.

Where are you getting your prices, I can buy a 1080 for $500, a 1070 for 350.

Amazon and NewEgg - There are no 1080s for $500 nor 1070TIs for $350.
    You have to watch the sales like a hawk, and be ready to buy.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1781-geforce-rtx-2060-mega-benchmark/

Pretty thorough review over 36 games.

RTX 2060 was on average only 11% slower at 1440p Than a RTX 2070.
    TL;DR: The new GeForce RTX 2060 is without question the best mid-range graphics card you can get your hands on, and at $350 it basically eliminates the $500 RTX 2070 which was just 11% faster on average and at most up to 16% faster.

When we compare the RTX 2060 to the GTX 1070 Ti we see that on average it was 4% faster and there were about half a dozen instances where the RTX 2060 was slower by a 4% or greater margin. 

For the most part the RTX 2060 was superior to Vega 56 in terms of performance. There was a single title where it lost by over 10% and that was in Forza Horizon 4. Meanwhile, there were 15 titles where the RTX 2060 was faster by a 10% margin or greater.

edited January 2019
    edited January 2019

Edit double post

edited January 2019
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1781-geforce-rtx-2060-mega-benchmark/

Pretty thorough review over 36 games.

RTX 2060 was on average only 11% slower at 1440p Than a RTX 2070.
    TL;DR: The new GeForce RTX 2060 is without question the best mid-range graphics card you can get your hands on, and at $350 it basically eliminates the $500 RTX 2070 which was just 11% faster on average and at most up to 16% faster.

When we compare the RTX 2060 to the GTX 1070 Ti we see that on average it was 4% faster and there were about half a dozen instances where the RTX 2060 was slower by a 4% or greater margin. 

For the most part the RTX 2060 was superior to Vega 56 in terms of performance. There was a single title where it lost by over 10% and that was in Forza Horizon 4. Meanwhile, there were 15 titles where the RTX 2060 was faster by a 10% margin or greater.

Thanks for the link. This doesn’t make me think the 2060 is great insomuch as it makes me think the 2070 is just that bad of a deal.
    AmazingAveryOzmodan[Deleted User]
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:
    I found this interesting - The GTX 1080 FE had a launch price of $699 while the RTX 2060 FE has a launch price of $349. According to the extensive TechPowerUp review, the stock RTX 2060 is only 2% behind the GTX 1080 at 1440p - https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_RTX_2060_Founders_Edition/images/relative-performance_2560-1440.png
    While that is impressive and interesting to me, the GTX 2060 pricing would of been better -$50 less.

I am going to wait for real tests before believing the 2060 is even close to a 1080.   As we all know the released benchmarks for the 2070, 2080's did not come close to the actual benchmaks,   It is probably closer to a 1070.  Secondly anyone attempting to do ray tracing on this card is in for a rude awakening.

In reviews RTX 2060 seems to be equal to or a bit ahead of GTX 1070 Ti, but losing a bit to GTX 1080.
    ROFL!!!

I don't think that people in the market for a 2060 plan on doing any ray-tracing at all, they are there because of the bang for the buck.

1070ti - $450-470+
    1080s - $750

Now consider those who also wanted to buy Anthem or Battlefield V ($50-$60) and you get that for free with an RTX2060 - that's not a bad deal

I can see why some are going to jump and get RTX2060s - as you get decent performance at 2K and below - and the price compared to other nvidia cards is right.

Why would you buy anything from Newegg, they never have good prices anymore.
    Ozmodan said:
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    DMKano said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:

ROFL!!!

1070ti - $450-470+
    1080s - $750

Why would you buy anything from Newegg, they never have good prices anymore.
    Their prices suck but they still have the best search tools.
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
    I was talking to good friend at Microcenter yesterday, he told me they have had a couple of the Nvidia brand 2060's returned, seems they overheated.  Guess you better have a well cooled case with these cards.

Ozmodan said:
    I was talking to good friend at Microcenter yesterday, he told me they have had a couple of the Nvidia brand 2060's returned, seems they overheated.  Guess you better have a well cooled case with these cards.

Wonder if this is part of the overall Turing quality control issues?
    [Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2019
    Ridelynn said:
    Ozmodan said:

Wonder if this is part of the overall Turing quality control issues?
    RTX 2060 is using less power than RX 580.

Until proven otherwise I'd classify a couple of overheating cases as people who're used to founders edition cards that blow air out of the case and as a result have previously been ok using small form factor case with no case fans.

RidelynnAmazingAvery

Torval said:
    SlyLoK said:
    DMKano said: 
    SlyLoK said:

It's around 1070 TI performance.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-01-16-geforce-rtx-2060-benchmarks-7001
    I said in some. Which it is. Move along.
    It's not really comparable because it's 2GB shorter on memory. That HardOCP RTX link Oz posted goes into the memory shortcomings. It doesn't seem good at DX12 regardless. The card is $350 - $390. For that money range I'm going to get a card with 8GB RAM.

TechSpot: Is 6 GB of VRAM enough for 1440p Gaming? Testing Usage with RTX 2060

https://www.techspot.com/article/1785-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-vram-enough/

But back to point, as it stands right now the GeForce RTX 2060 has enough VRAM to power through today’s games using maximum quality settings. As a GPU targeting 1440p gaming or extreme high refresh rate 1080p gaming, it fits the bill nicely, at least in terms of performance.
    We can all agree 8GB of GDDR6 memory would have been better down the road, but for those buying a new graphics card right now it seems like a non-issue. Rest assured, we'll be watching the RTX 2060 over the next few years and monitor it closely against its peers as we go.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If a game's developers are smart, the problems with insufficient video memory will manifest as degraded image quality, not reduced frame rates.  If you're using several GB of video memory for graphics, textures are probably what is going to use most of it.  You can reduce the size of a texture by 3/4 just by dropping the bottom mipmap level.  That will only affect image quality at all if you look at an object that uses the texture up close.

That's assuming that your video card has something within the reasonable range for a modern GPU, of course.  Try to run modern games on 512 MB of video memory and they might well choke, as textures aren't the only things there, and even if it could scale to that little, the game might simply not be built to do so.  But 6 GB and 8 GB are both firmly within the reasonable range for a modern video card to have--as are 4 GB and 11 GB.
    edited February 2019
    I have seen several benchmarks that indicate the 6 GB on the Nvidia 2060 is more than enough for 4k gaming using  the most demanding games today.   The card is still overpriced and not selling well.  Most people still don't game in 4k and much cheaper cards work great at lesser resolutions.   When 4k monitors get cheaper, things will probably change.

If I had to purchase a video card right now I would go with an RX-590.

Gdemami
    Ozmodan said:
    The card is still overpriced and not selling well. 

Do you have a citation for that? Like specifically a published source saying that the RTX 2060 is not selling well? would be interesting to see.

I'd agree with your opinion that it is overpriced, IMO maybe by $50 or so and I think games inclusion tax is in there too. However, not seen anything saying that the card is selling poorly anywhere? Sure there were some comments about China's economy but that was guidance based on fiscal results for prior quarter and not current; such as the RTX 2060 being out less than 30 days....
    Ridelynn

I don't think the 2060 is overpriced given the benchmarks.

I question why it has RTX raytracing on it... which I think is bringing the price up higher than it would otherwise be. But for the performance, I think it's not too far off the mark. It does make the 2070 for $500 look downright ridiculous, and everything about that just priced off the charts. But none of that has direct bearing on the 2060.

I do question why nVidia decided to shift their naming scheme: nothing seems to line up how it has in the past. I suppose it's within nVidia's right to do so, but it's not seeming to work to their benefit. If this were called the 2070 RTX, at a $350 price point, the internet would be praising nVidia for their advances. Call the current 2070 the 2080, and all of a sudden no one would bat an eye at a $500 MSRP.

Amazing what just a name could have done.
    Ozmodan said:

Do you have a citation for that? Like specifically a published source saying that the RTX 2060 is not selling well? would be interesting to see.

I'd agree with your opinion that it is overpriced, IMO maybe by $50 or so and I think games inclusion tax is in there too. However, not seen anything saying that the card is selling poorly anywhere? Sure there were some comments about China's economy but that was guidance based on fiscal results for prior quarter and not current; such as the RTX 2060 being out less than 30 days....
    Just from local experience, it is not selling well here in Ohio.  Microcenter has a lot of them and they are just not moving.  Now the shipment of RX-590's they got in is already gone as those cards are $100 less.
    RidelynnGdemami
    Ridelynn said:

I question why it has RTX raytracing on it... which I think is bringing the price up higher than it would otherwise be. But for the performance, I think it's not too far off the mark. It does make the 2070 for $500 look downright ridiculous, and everything about that just priced off the charts. But none of that has direct bearing on the 2060.

I do question why nVidia decided to shift their naming scheme: nothing seems to line up how it has in the past. I suppose it's within nVidia's right to do so, but it's not seeming to work to their benefit. If this were called the 2070 RTX, at a $350 price point, the internet would be praising nVidia for their advances. Call the current 2070 the 2080, and all of a sudden no one would bat an eye at a $500 MSRP.

Where do you get the 1070 price of $500, they are selling for $350 here?
    Ozmodan said:
    Ridelynn said:

Where did I say a 1070 was selling for $500?
    Ozmodan said:
    Ozmodan said:

Just from local experience, it is not selling well here in Ohio.  Microcenter has a lot of them and they are just not moving.  Now the shipment of RX-590's they got in is already gone as those cards are $100 less.
    How do you know that they're not selling?  Do you work for Micro Center?  Have their sales figures?  In stock or out of stock depends as much on how many cards they ordered as how much they sell.
    Ridelynn said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Ridelynn said:

In mid-2016, though to be fair, they did actually cost $500 then because of the GDDR5X shortage.
    Ridelynn
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Ridelynn said:

In mid-2016, though to be fair, they did actually cost $500 then because of the GDDR5X shortage.
    Haha - got me. :)