Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GSync on Freesync.... sorta

RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
nVidia will support enabling GSync on Freesync compatible monitors.****

****only on "approved" monitors. There are only 12 as of today.
****only with a 10 or 20 series GPU

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Supposedly they are going to be adding more. The price difference between GSync and Freesync monitors is HUGE so it will be interesting to see if they can deliver.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Does anyone else suspect that by "approved" monitors, they mean something to the effect of "for models where the monitor vendor agreed to pay Nvidia $5 for each unit sold"?  You know, like they've done with motherboards to enable SLI for the last decade?

Adaptive sync is an industry standard.  If a monitor supports the standard, but Nvidia can't get it to work right with their video cards, then something on Nvidia's end is defective.  I could understand excluding a handful of monitors because of monitor implementation bugs that don't affect AMD, but if they can't support more than a handful of the available monitors, then either Nvidia's hardware is defective or their software is.

I could understand Nvidia offering multiple tiers of certification, such as having requirements stricter than ordinary adaptive sync in order to call it G-sync.  But for those that don't meet the more stringent standards, they should still enable the basic standard unless either their own hardware is defective or it's a repeat of the SLI tax situation.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2019
    Apparently nVidia did announce in their release they would let any monitor which supports it enable VRR, but only those "certified" would enable by default. So clarification to my previous post.
    Quizzical
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    ^ yes

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/06/g-sync-di...

"For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

”G-SYNC Compatible tests will identify monitors that deliver a baseline VRR experience on GeForce RTX 20-series and GeForce GTX 10-series graphics cards, and activate their VRR features automatically."

so good news
    Quizzical

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    This is unambiguously good news, then.  I've been saying for years that I expected Nvidia to support adaptive sync eventually.  Competitive pressures would force them to, as charging an extra $150 for an equivalent monitor paired with an Nvidia GPU would eventually kill them.  It sounds like eventually finally arrived.

You usually expect the big news at CES to be about hardware.  This year, between this and AMD finally releasing drivers for Ryzen Mobile, the big news is software.
    edited April 2019
    Bumping an older post rather than starting a new:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/289521-freesync-g-sync-go-head-to-head-in-new-monitor-comparison

Interesting read. I would say this isn’t necessarily indicative of the state of G-Sync vs Freesync, and just compares two specific models from one manufacturer....

...but it it does start to build the picture that as far as the tech goes, not a whole lot of difference exists between the two particular VRR brands, and that other features need serve to distinguish models of monitors (and to justify any price deltas)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Prices have been dropping on monitors anyways, G-Snyc included, hence why I bought one.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited April 2019
    Tiller said:
    Prices have been dropping on monitors anyways, G-Snyc included, hence why I bought one.
    That’s because the 4K 144hz models are coming and 1440 based ultrawides are starting to take off. Acer and Asus both have a 27” 4K that’s very $$$ out now, a 32” and 43” are due to come out soon, and if more manufacturers jump on it the price on those will start to get “reasonable”.

im still holding out for my unicorn monitor but it’s getting closer.