Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played WoW

ArteriusArterius Member RarePosts: 1,172
So I never played World of Warcraft and was thinking of jumping in to it now I just have to ask... is it worth it?

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 2,986
    Try the free trail, after that you can sub for a month and try the whole game till bfa
    ArteriusrojoArcueidgervaise1

• ArteriusArterius Member RarePosts: 1,172
    Dragnelus said:
    Try the free trail, after that you can sub for a month and try the whole game till bfa
    I didn't know this... interesting. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,247
    To be honest if you have never played the game before, experiencing the whole 1-60 levelling experience with the current scaling might be interesting. In fact it would actually be quite good because there are many very good quests. However the lack of players to experience the same would be a drawback.

There would also be the added problem that groups aren't going to want to let you go at your pace and will rush you through the dungeons. If you are however prepared to accept that the game will not have many people willing to let you experience it for the first time you might indeed have a good time.
    Gorwe
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 94
    You could also wait for WoW Classic to open, if you're keen for the 'original' experience. 
    TokkenScot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,008
    If you have never played I'd hold up until they released the new classic version.

Better to experience the game first in a version closer to it's original glory days before seeing the travesty it is today 
    TokkenScot

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 9,903
    Arterius said:
    So I never played World of Warcraft and was thinking of jumping in to it now I just have to ask... is it worth it?
    you can play for free up to lvl 20, just download and try it. If you like it and decide to buy it i believe the base game now includes every expansion up to Legion, only requiring the most recent one as a separate purchase.

Some people are suggesting waiting for classic but I believe you will still have to buy the game anyway. I don't know what type of games you like but classic servers can do 2 things to you. It can make you love the old antiquated gameplay, or it can completely put you off and make you skip the modern game alongside the old one.

I suggest just try the free version.
    Beezerbeezkb4blu

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 5,962
    edited January 7

Try the free trial before you do anything. Also, given that you have no previous experience, the modern leveling might suit you.

But if you ask me, you haven't really missed much. It's like missing on LoL or Fortnite. Not a terrible loss.
    Kyleran said:
    If you have never played I'd hold up until they released the new classic version.

Better to experience the game first in a version closer to it's original glory days before seeing the travesty it is today 
    A travesty to one person is a masterpiece to another. Ok, maybe not a masterpiece, but a comfortable and enjoyable experience nonetheless.
    rojoArcueid
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,008
    Gorwe said:

Try the free trial before you do anything. Also, given that you have no previous experience, the modern leveling might suit you.

But if you ask me, you haven't really missed much. It's like missing on LoL or Fortnite. Not a terrible loss.
    Kyleran said:

Better to experience the game first in a version closer to it's original glory days before 1seeing the travesty it is today 
    A travesty to one person is a masterpiece to another. Ok, maybe not a masterpiece, but a comfortable and enjoyable experience nonetheless.
    Let's be generous and say WOW currently has 5M subs.  We heard several years ago over 100M gamer's have played WOW, so this means 95M+ are dissatisfied with its current incarnation as they aren't playing it.

I stand by my initial assertion, he should wait and play a version which will be closer to the game most knew and loved, than one which is largely ignored by most past customers.

Gdemami

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I never played.
    I don't play games that feature surf board sized swords.

A sword that size would weigh 1,000 lbs.
    I can buy 'Panda' monks but cannot get past stupid swords.

I'm not claiming this makes sense.
  • chrisnyc48chrisnyc48 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I've never played this game either. Although I'm well aware of it's popularity, it's dated look and style probably wouldn't interest me at this point. It never even occurred to me to give it a try back when I first became aware of it's existence. Even as a huge fan of mmorpg games, it's not a game for me.
    GdemamiArterius
  • ArteriusArterius Member RarePosts: 1,172
    Thanks for all the replies going to check out the free trail and see how it goes
    Tokken
  • WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited January 7
    I have a GTX 1070, GTA V, ESO, FF XIV, I still play WoW more than any other game...
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 2,986
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

Kyleran said:

Better to experience the game first in a version closer to it's original glory days before 1seeing the travesty it is today 
    Let's be generous and say WOW currently has 5M subs.  We heard several years ago over 100M gamer's have played WOW, so this means 95M+ are dissatisfied with its current incarnation as they aren't playing it.

I stand by my initial assertion, he should wait and play a version which will be closer to the game most knew and loved, than one which is largely ignored by most past customers.

12m is the highest subs wow ever had in oct 2010.

Arterius

• ayumarcanayumarcan Member CommonPosts: 10
    edited January 17
    With the games, imo, you need to try to unsderstand if it's "worth it". For me it's always been too vivid and I picked Lineage 2 over WoW
    Post edited by ayumarcan on
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 500
    WoW has an entirely new pricing structure.

The game is actually free, you only have to pay a subscription ($15 for 30 days) to play a character past level 20.  That means you can keep leveling from 1-110 just by paying a subscription fee.

Once you hit level 110, you will no longer level.  You will need to buy BFA (the expansion only plus pay a subscription fee).

Gone are the days of having to buy each expansion just to play the current expansion.  Blizzard gives you all the content up to BFA for free... you just can't play it without an active subscription.  They charge you for the current expansion (in this case BFA) if you wish to play it.

Now as to is it worth it?  If you don't mind taking a match to $15 every 30 days... it's worth it.  If you do mind, then it's not.

Classic WoW isn't going to be vanilla WoW.  It's a bastardized version of vanilla WoW.  The closest you're going to get to vanilla WoW is on a private server.  But truth be known, vanilla WoW is gone forever.
    Gdemami
  • xpdeusxpdeus Member CommonPosts: 6
    You are not alone. I also never played WOW. There are many better games
    Wicasa
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,573
    edited January 13
    I was trying to imagine playing wow for the first time rn and I dont think I would like it. Last time I made a new character was for nostalgia alone. The gameplay was really really bad compared to what else is out there, imo.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• URLooKINatGLORYURLooKINatGLORY Member CommonPosts: 5
    I can only seem to get into WoW for a month or so before im fed up with it. Makes me super sad every single time!
  • dralchdralch Member CommonPosts: 8
    Honestly,

I would advise you stay away from WOW I played since 2006 and have quit several times this latest expansion is crap the original Devs where moved to a different game and as such the story has suffered Lore has been trashed the game is boring has been for a long while now. 

I am currently not playing again. My point of view is that while the areas are pretty everything feels like they rushed out development of the Expansion and once again has lost even more base with their players.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,636
    Dragnelus said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

Kyleran said:

Yes, this is true.

But keep in mind, there is a turnover rate. Some leave, others come in, the population is always in flux, and while every game has their die hard players that have been there for years, there are many others that join and play for a bit then leave.

This is where the 100 Million comes from, this includes the Turn Over rate, but to be honest, most games have around a 90% turn over. This is also what made F2P games to popular, was that players could burn out, take a break, and then come back, without needing to invest money upfront to return, unlike a Sub game.

With that said. It's not really true that everyone who stops playing a game was dissatisfied with it, some people simply have events that happen in their life and they need to take a break from a game and then just never return, something else catches their eye, or in cases like WoW, the power creep and paying the Sub function as hurdles when it comes to returning, and while they may still have fond and enjoyable memories of the game, they just never got back to returning.

There are also other factors, like their "Raid Guild" leaving the game to try and play something else, so they move on with their guild, even if they may still have liked the game, losing that social network would ruin the game experience for them, and they don't feel inclined to rebuild it.

and then there is simply Burn out, play any game long enough and you can burn out on it, especially if you are an aggressive gamer. This does not mean you are unhappy with the products, just that you are burned out on it.

So there are many reasons why players leave games, not all of them are "because this game sucks"

but.. for those that did leave because they felt the game sucks, they will apply that reasons to why everyone else left a game.
    ktanner3Dragpz
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,563
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

Kyleran said:

hmmm, probably not.

You are thinking like a gamer. Put all that aside.

Many people who played World of Warcraft weren't gamerz they were just regular people who saw the hype, tried it out, had some fun and then that was that.

I'd guess that most people who play a video game don't expect to make it their life long activity.

Panther2103ktanner3Scorchien

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 1,991
    Arterius said:
    The current game no its not.  WOW Classic Yes.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 990
    it's pretty trash in todays standard.
    even for just leveling and exploring the story it's pretty much a complete mess.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

Kyleran said:

peepz with math skills ALWAYS win

Sz  :)
    Gdemami
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Dragnelus said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

Kyleran said:

accumulation is always tough for me too

Sz  :)