Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 State of Elyria Retrospective

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Been lurking on CoE for years, but enough now.

I'm a veteran IT consultant and company director employing 30 staff, including developers. I have never in 30 years seen such an appallingly managed and communicated project before funded to near $5m.

It's my view that there has to be a line which is drawn, which once crossed represents fraudulent criminal behaviour. Seems to me personally that Caspian is very close to this given the 2018 debacle, intentionally or not. I think he needs to play very careful now.

Its one thing to miss deadlines and for large delays to be introduced in a project. But its another to not deliver on any of your commitments, repeatedly, to constantly alter fundamental aspects of the original commit, and not to provide clear and more realistic remedial plans. And without any consequences to date. And then to act like he has to the community which provided his income for the last several years... its... quite unbelievable really.

Frankly, at least SC has produced something - even if we can all agree its currently way off expectation, more deeply funded and CR is a total dreamer / marketeer. I was lucky enough to pull my $3k+ invest there before the portcullis dropped, and whilst tempted I never put funds into CoE as a result.

If this ends up in a pile of poop and no legal action happens to hold people to account on behalf of supporters, it will frankly be a travesty. Just my opinion though, and I'm sure there are alternative views.

Crowdfunding terms cannot be allowed to become a direct hall pass for making commitments you know you cannot deliver on to entice people to give you their money. That hurts us all, and its wrong.

Slap is right to call it. Period.
    I drew my line about this time last year, when 1) the game was supposed to have been launched and they had nothing to show for their work, and 2) they decided to drop Spatial OS. 

Unsurprisingly, they wouldn't give me a refund, so rather than spending my time fighting it, I took the advice of other community members and sold my KS account. I consider myself lucky to have sold it for what I had paid (minus $40 in reseller fees). Now, I bet you'd be lucky to get 50%. 

I would like to see someone challenge them legally though. I still feel there is a case for refunds for the KS era (which was before they wrote no refunds into their ToS).
    AnOldFart
    --------------------------------------------
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    edited January 2019

I'm a veteran IT consultant and company director employing 30 staff, including developers. I have never in 30 years seen such an appallingly managed and communicated project before funded to near $5m.

It's my view that there has to be a line which is drawn, which once crossed represents fraudulent criminal behaviour. Seems to me personally that Caspian is very close to this given the 2018 debacle, intentionally or not. I think he needs to play very careful now.

Its one thing to miss deadlines and for large delays to be introduced in a project. But its another to not deliver on any of your commitments, repeatedly, to constantly alter fundamental aspects of the original commit, and not to provide clear and more realistic remedial plans. And without any consequences to date. And then to act like he has to the community which provided his income for the last several years... its... quite unbelievable really.

Frankly, at least SC has produced something - even if we can all agree its currently way off expectation, more deeply funded and CR is a total dreamer / marketeer. I was lucky enough to pull my $3k+ invest there before the portcullis dropped, and whilst tempted I never put funds into CoE as a result.

If this ends up in a pile of poop and no legal action happens to hold people to account on behalf of supporters, it will frankly be a travesty. Just my opinion though, and I'm sure there are alternative views.

Crowdfunding terms cannot be allowed to become a direct hall pass for making commitments you know you cannot deliver on to entice people to give you their money. That hurts us all, and its wrong.

I drew my line about this time last year, when 1) the game was supposed to have been launched and they had nothing to show for their work, and 2) they decided to drop Spatial OS. 

Unsurprisingly, they wouldn't give me a refund, so rather than spending my time fighting it, I took the advice of other community members and sold my KS account. I consider myself lucky to have sold it for what I had paid (minus $40 in reseller fees). Now, I bet you'd be lucky to get 50%. 

I would like to see someone challenge them legally though. I still feel there is a case for refunds for the KS era (which was before they wrote no refunds into their ToS).
    Interesting comment in Discord recently:

Lady GraceLast Tuesday at 6:33 PM
    Caspian any chance we can get hold of the Jousting demo client to play over LAN with other local Elyrians?
    That looked like a ton of fun :smiley:

CaspianLast Tuesday at 6:34 PM
    @Lady Grace No. The jousting demo was built on an earlier version of the client and server and wasn't preserved. There's old snapshots in P4, but it's not something we've tried to maintain.

--------------------
    Contrast that with what he said just a few months back:

Caspian06/23/2018

@Marmet We've had our own server infrastructure for a year or so now. Our jousting demo, our website, and VoxElyria are all running on our server stack.
    ---------------------

So other than obvious questions about truthfulness... it raises questions about yet MORE wasted resources.   At the time we were told that they weren't wasting time creating this Jousting Demo.  Now, it looks like more wasted resources and joins the junk heap along with ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, SpatialOS... 

Unbelievable what you can do with other people's money.

Edit: Here is a quote from them about the Jousting thing not being aa waste of time:

After much debate internally, we went with this jousting experience because it entails next-to-no throw-away work. That is to say, we're not making jousting just so that we have something cool at PAX West. We're making jousting because we were going to do it for launch anyway (jousting does not count as the Mounted Combat stretch goal, just a mounted attack) and it is a focused experience that shows off our work really nicely. 
    WellspringLokeroKyleran[Deleted User]Octagon7711YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

The problem with crowdfunding is that is indulges the illusion of being an investor without any of the legal rights, privileges, benefits, and responsibilities on either side.  At some point, governmental consumer protection laws *need* to come into effect and close this legal loophole.  I don't really care if it is the US SEC or some other country's equivalent organization leading the way, but it represents predatory financial behavior that should be curtailed.

As long as crowdfunding operates without controls and regulations, it is simply a means for suspect business practices.  Three card monte for the modern age.

Wellspring[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2019

You just described how every MMORPG crowdfunding campaign is ran: make unrealistic promises to get people to give you money now, and when you inevitably miss delivering on the unrealistic promises, just claim no one knows how hard software development is and create new, still unrealistic promises to go along with your new sale.

I'm, quite frankly, done believing these folks can just be that incompetent as to give timeline after timeline they don't even get close to keeping.  It's intentional; it's marketing.  Pure marketing bullshit.

The boat has sailed on MMORPG crowdfunding.  It's about as hostile as you can get to consumers, but FOMO, confirmation bias, and sunk cost fallacies are the new marketing tricks for this genre.
    WellspringKyleran[Deleted User]Octagon7711YashaX

You just described how every MMORPG crowdfunding campaign is ran: make unrealistic promises to get people to give you money now, and when you inevitably miss delivering on the unrealistic promises, just claim no one knows how hard software development is and create new, still unrealistic promises to go along with your new sale.

I'm, quite frankly, done believing these folks can just be that incompetent as to give timeline after timeline they don't even get close to keeping.  It's intentional; it's marketing.  Pure marketing bullshit.

The boat has sailed on MMORPG crowdfunding.  It's about as hostile as you can get to consumers, but FOMO, confirmation bias, and sunk cost fallacies are the new marketing tricks for this genre.
    You forgot about the part where only the Customer has to hold up their end of the deal (no refunds) while the Developer can triple a timeline, change the "fabric of the game", add/delete features... with no accountability.

But God forbid you suggest that a timeline or feature is unreasonable and you will be branded a negative Harbinger. 
    MadFrenchieWellspringKyleran[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited January 2019
    Torrsk said:
    It would be interesting to see you type that on the official forums PieMonster. Probably get -50 within the first day. Not that you aren't right.

Someone talked about this on the discord. To be met with the normal "Trolls be trolling" "Why do we care about a troll website". Completely annoying the fact that zero goals have been met. But then they are completely blinded. 

While I myself didn't really expect much to happen. Figured something would, like the pre-elyria to be released. Yet the sad thing, people keep saying "oh if nothing happens this year I'm out". For nothing to happen and them keep defending SBS. The white knights are taking over in full force.
    The white knights took over in full force because there's practically no one left to contest the situation, imo.
    Anyone with any sense long ago realized the state this project was in.  I imagine most of those people have long since lost interest and moved on, for the most part.  CoE doesn't exactly have a large following, in general, so all you are left with are zealots.

That's my theory, anyway.  I'm totally pulling that out of thin air since I am one of those people who long ago lost interest :lol:   I don't ever visit the CoE site/forums/discord, etc., unless Slap links something here that amuses.

The surest sign of decline is a lack of criticism.
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    I feel like this is just one long training exercise for Caspien to become a politician.  Promises the world, delivers nothing, siphons money, promises more of the world, delivers more of nothing while misdirecting everyone into looking at the dancing monkey when someone calls him out on it just to disappear into smoke, and somehow gets fanatical cult followers for taking a cleveland steamer all over someones house.  President Caspien 2020
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    He can tell me idk what i am talking about because then i could laugh,i need a laugh once in awhile,it's good for the heart and soul.
    I have nothing against this game or him but this is imo a failed attempt and also imo should have never happened,crowd funding should never happen.

We are not designing various fruit pies with different crusts,this is video gaming a VERY expensive venture that requires a lot of money,a lot of manpower and some really smart AND creative people.
    Or you can just CF a moba or ARPG,those are easy and take little effort well or design fruit pies.

CF is an IMPROPER way to design a game and i am not going to explain the MANY reasons why....again.
    I have to believe Caspien is smart enough to realize it HOWEVER somehow felt he could make a presentation where by some investor would jump in,again wishful dreaming.

SMEDLEY had all of SOE behind him,he couldn't make EQNext,not even with viewers help inside of landmark with player made assets.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited January 2019
    Lokero said:
    Torrsk said:
    It would be interesting to see you type that on the official forums PieMonster. Probably get -50 within the first day. Not that you aren't right.

Someone talked about this on the discord. To be met with the normal "Trolls be trolling" "Why do we care about a troll website". Completely annoying the fact that zero goals have been met. But then they are completely blinded. 

While I myself didn't really expect much to happen. Figured something would, like the pre-elyria to be released. Yet the sad thing, people keep saying "oh if nothing happens this year I'm out". For nothing to happen and them keep defending SBS. The white knights are taking over in full force.
    The white knights took over in full force because there's practically no one left to contest the situation, imo.
    Anyone with any sense long ago realized the state this project was in.  I imagine most of those people have long since lost interest and moved on, for the most part.  CoE doesn't exactly have a large following, in general, so all you are left with are zealots.

That's my theory, anyway.  I'm totally pulling that out of thin air since I am one of those people who long ago lost interest :lol:   I don't ever visit the CoE site/forums/discord, etc., unless Slap links something here that amuses.

The surest sign of decline is a lack of criticism.
    Somehow enough are left to have raised almost $5.6M
    Perhaps it proves that deep pockets are more important than numbers.  I guess that's a microcosm of his whole concept.  They have catered to the whales from the very beginning by selling Kingdoms, titles, land... as long as he keeps pumping out new stuff like the recent lootboxes or the sale of limited "Legendary" items I guess all is well on the funding side.

They give the whales their own special paywalled forums and Discord.  They treat their whales like Tom Cruise.

But at the end of the day... it all comes down to the FACT that they listed 3 Major Releases for 2018 (one was supposed to be just a few weeks away) and released NONE of them.  IMHO they are one of the most wasteful development teams I have ever seen.  Throwing away time/money spent on SpatialOS development, ElyriaMud, VoxElyria, Jousting Demo... and all the other timewasters and attention diverters.  It's pretty easy to waste other people's money.

Maybe @JeromyWalsh (who does read these) will grace us with a response.

PS: Frenchie if you made that thread explaining how a Gantt Chart actually works it would be epic and priceless!!!

WellspringLokeroYashaX

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    So, in summary, they accomplished 0 of their goals for 2018? That's a perfect score of awful.
    Pretty much. There is a thread now on their forum asking why nobody discusses the fact that the developers never hit deadlines.   It's currently got a -9 vote on it.  Why should SBS feel even slightly embarrassed by missing every "Major" release for 2018 when nobody holds them accountable?  
    I just found this thread. 

Omg it's terrible..  
    Was I really like some of them and the way they respond?
    (hypothetical I know the answer (yes I was a dick too)) 
    Slapshot1188
    AnOldFart said:
    So, in summary, they accomplished 0 of their goals for 2018? That's a perfect score of awful.
    Pretty much. There is a thread now on their forum asking why nobody discusses the fact that the developers never hit deadlines.   It's currently got a -9 vote on it.  Why should SBS feel even slightly embarrassed by missing every "Major" release for 2018 when nobody holds them accountable?  

Omg it's terrible..  
    Looks like @Kyleran hopped in the thread and poked the bear.  He actually suggested they ban Caspien from their reddit.

I love that post:
    Ivory Tower member: I have banned that user from reddit because he doesn’t understand that game development takes longer than 20 months

Kyleran: You should ban Caspien too (inserts quote from Caspien explaining and defending his 18 month development cycle.

Made me laugh out loud... but will probably go right over the heads of the devoted over there.

KyleranLokerocraftseekerWellspringConstantineMerusAsm0deusOctagon7711SlyLoKtweedledumb99YashaX

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited January 2019
    AnOldFart said:

Omg it's terrible..  
    Looks like @Kyleran hopped in the thread and poked the bear.  He actually suggested they ban Caspien from their reddit.

I love that post:
    Ivory Tower member: I have banned that user from reddit because he doesn’t understand that game development takes longer than 20 months

Kyleran: You should ban Caspien too (inserts quote from Caspien explaining and defending his 18 month development cycle.

Made me laugh out loud... but will probably go right over the heads of the devoted over there.

I had intended to respond to every laughable white knight post but there were just so many and I started to feel bad.

Was like fishing with dynamite, no challenge.

Thanks though, I drew heavily on your material.

:D
    craftseekerConstantineMerus[Deleted User][Deleted User]tweedledumb99

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:

Omg it's terrible..  

I love that post:

I had intended to respond to every laughable white knight post but there were just so many and I started to feel bad.

Was like fishing with dynamite, no challenge.

:D
    If only Frenchie could reply with his How Gantt Charts Actually Work post it could be elevated to the Hall of Fame
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    AnOldFart said:

Omg it's terrible..  

I love that post:

That's ma daddy! 
    (please read the above in a Texan accent and not a little girl's voice)
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    AnOldFart said:

Omg it's terrible..  

I love that post:

There's probably an entire ecosystem above the devoted's heads that they know nothing of.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Lol reading through this, where did these posts occur between our members and the CoE faithful?  Reddit?  I can't imagine they took too kindly to Kyleran's humor. :D 

The official COE forum.

The official COE forum.
    I am if anything bold.  Probably temp banned as well, I haven't been back since I posted.

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited January 2019
    Last post literally is a backer saying he is fine with the idea that timelines were complete lies so long as it means the game gets finished eventually.  That post alone makes me want to create an account to explain how absolutely retarded that stance is.
    KyleranAnOldFartGdemami

Last post literally is a backer saying he is fine with the idea that timelines were complete lies so long as it means the game gets finished eventually.  That post alone makes me want to create an account to explain how absolutely retarded that stance is.
    That is the mentality which enables them to post 3 major releases for 2018 and release none of them yet still raise a million dollars.  It’s what let’s them hype SpatialOS, ElyriaMud, VoxElyria... and discontinue them all... yet continue to raise boatloads of cash.

Easier to blame “negative Nancy’s “ for not understanding game development timelines than blame the actual developers for not understanding the same.

MadFrenchieKyleranGdemami

edited January 2019
    That is the mentality which enables them to post 3 major releases for 2018 and release none of them yet still raise a million dollars.  It’s what let’s them hype SpatialOS, ElyriaMud, VoxElyria... and discontinue them all... yet continue to raise boatloads of cash.

Easier to blame “negative Nancy’s “ for not understanding game development timelines than blame the actual developers for not understanding the same.

I think one of the more honest replies to the OP was a backer who said they were well aware of and shared the concerns but preferred to focus on the positive and hope for the best.

I gave them an upvote for honesty, many others got downvotes for their smug, willful ignorance.
    AnOldFartWellspring

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I honestly thought the game looked cool. I'm just really confused as to what is going on with it. So there has been a bunch of different iterations of the game they promised? Or is this additional things. Like why would they want to develop VoxElyria? Just to give people something to play while the real game is being worked on? Doesn't that waste resources? 
    I honestly thought the game looked cool. I'm just really confused as to what is going on with it. So there has been a bunch of different iterations of the game they promised? Or is this additional things. Like why would they want to develop VoxElyria? Just to give people something to play while the real game is being worked on? Doesn't that waste resources? 
    Not according to Caspian, apparently.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2019
    Tiller said:
    I can't believe they are still making this.
    They probably aren't still making this because they probably were never making it in the first place.

If they were actually making it, they'd have probably like, you know, achieved a (late) milestone by now.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

I actually agree with that backer.  I think the dates are completely irrelevant(or, rather, the least of worries).  What's scary is that Jeromy seemed to firmly believe those timelines.

The real issue is as Slap mentions -- the wasted time.  They've spent the last two years working(supposedly) on a truckload of projects only to toss them in the gutter. 
    What's scary is the lack of knowledge and project management experience. 
    What are they at now? 5.6 million funded?  That's a terrifying amount to potentially go to waste while Jeromy learns the very basics of leading a project for the first time.

So far, they have basically nothing to show for their time and money, from what we've seen.  With the exception of a couple of tech demos, they really haven't shown anything at all.
    Tech demos being:
    • their E3 parkour thing
    • the scripted, silly Princess Bride fencing scene
    • the jousting demo
    Which, if Slap is correct, they apparently aren't even keeping copies of? WTF...?

At this point, I'm picturing an announcement a year or two from now:
    "Hey guys, we've got some very disappointing news.  We were in the process of migrating data... blah.. blah.. didn't have any backups of our data... blah.. blah... lost everything... project cancelled... blah blah...  all the fault of the naysayers...  their negativity caused this data crash... we have faith in you, true believers to help us restart on our new adventure... we'll be back with another project on KS soon... we are the storm."
    AnOldFartKyleran