Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hottest New Year Deal: 5 Years of PureVPN for $79 (SPONSORED)

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageHottest New Year Deal: 5 Years of PureVPN for $79 (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

If you’re looking to save money on VPNs this New Year, PureVPN has got you covered with a massive 88% discount on their 5-year plan.

Read the full story here

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• AyuroxAyurox Member UncommonPosts: 64
    They keep logs about all the traffic, you are warned good deal but untrustworthy dealer !!!
    [Deleted User]NorseGodThupliRich84Xingbairong
  • Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Pure-VPN Lifetime. I've been using this for sometime.

• milayskymilaysky Member UncommonPosts: 39

Pure-VPN Lifetime. I've been using this for sometime.

how's the speeds?
    can it do my full 600/60 Mbps ? 6ms to first hub ..cca 30ms to London ( 1600km ) cca 120ms to NY ( 7200km )
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I want a VPN for Netflix. . but the opposite of what you think :)  I want to use a VPN and be able to watch Netflix without it giving me problems.  I need a US based location but still want Canadian Netflix. . or US. . just no errrors about proxy servers etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Don't know about this one but there are a few that still work with Netflix.  Will have to do a search, I don't recall which ones were listed.  Netflix actively work against VPNs because of complaints they were getting.

I do have Pure and got it for lifetime off of the site mentioned above a long time ago.  I only use it as a backup and speeds are decent.  Don't care about logs.  I just use them to keep ISP from selling my browsing habits.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LOL all the youtubers posting second hand info on Apps and APKs fear monger this nonsense. And of course the nutjobs who think its going to stop state surveillance.

There is zero need for VPNs especially in the US. Because you can stream anything you want and if they want to spy on you they have plenty of ways to do it. And anyone smart enough to think they can get away with it certainly isnt going to be using some shit Vpn thats 5 bucks a month or whatever.

But if you are going to use one Pure is bottom tier. And the one that all these guys are getting paid to pimp...IPvanish has already been exposed for giving peoples personal information away.
    I used a few in the past and none of them do what they claim they do. Other than mask your IP and even then most places worth trying to 'sneak' into know youre doing it through a VPN anyway. And if you get caught most ban you now.

If youre streaming through Netflix then youre doing it wrong anyway.

I have been streaming through Amazon boxes, sticks and now TVs for about 5 years. I watch stuff for free all over the world. And I have only rarely used a VPN and when I did it was only to 'test' claims. And the tests all failed.
    NorseGod
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125

Gorwe said:

Why should I care about this?

Then don't read ..
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    You can setup a private server in the country you want and then let whatever clients you have to connect to it to be able to watch netflix or whatever content you want.

It is not that easy to setup or cheap, but its completely fail proof and works for a max of 100-200 users per server. So you can actually cash in by offering slots to sell to other people :)
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    rodarin said:
    LOL all the youtubers posting second hand info on Apps and APKs fear monger this nonsense. And of course the nutjobs who think its going to stop state surveillance.

There is zero need for VPNs especially in the US. Because you can stream anything you want and if they want to spy on you they have plenty of ways to do it. And anyone smart enough to think they can get away with it certainly isnt going to be using some shit Vpn thats 5 bucks a month or whatever.

But if you are going to use one Pure is bottom tier. And the one that all these guys are getting paid to pimp...IPvanish has already been exposed for giving peoples personal information away.
    I used a few in the past and none of them do what they claim they do. Other than mask your IP and even then most places worth trying to 'sneak' into know youre doing it through a VPN anyway. And if you get caught most ban you now.

If youre streaming through Netflix then youre doing it wrong anyway.

I have been streaming through Amazon boxes, sticks and now TVs for about 5 years. I watch stuff for free all over the world. And I have only rarely used a VPN and when I did it was only to 'test' claims. And the tests all failed.
    I use other  . . things.  My wife uses Netflix and Plex. . but. . the boy .. he's 5 and I want PBS :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    MMORPG.com is getting worst every day with placing advertisements as 'news'. They should just stop with this kind of BS. It's one of the reasons I'm not overly found anymore of this site while they used to be awesome in the past.
    iamspamicusGorweMightyUnclean
  • congvt17congvt17 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Aethaeryn said:

I want a VPN for Netflix. . but the opposite of what you think :)  I want to use a VPN and be able to watch Netflix without it giving me problems.  I need a US based location but still want Canadian Netflix. . or US. . just no errrors about proxy servers etc.

nordvpn, perfectly fine for netflix and Utorr...
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Is this sponsored content? If so, I must have missed where it stated it. If not, Bill, this is you writing this? You personally use it?
  • nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150

Reizla said:

MMORPG.com is getting worst every day with placing advertisements as 'news'. They should just stop with this kind of BS. It's one of the reasons I'm not overly found anymore of this site while they used to be awesome in the past.

Unfortunately they have to make money... I dislike the paid stories but what can you do...
    Octagon7711
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    It's just not polite - if not purely evil - to interrupt someone's business. Especially when MMORPGcom is one of the few decent sites around and the auditory should be a bit more careful with it.

Happy new year!

Thank you for your time!

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

nastilon said:

Reizla said:

Unfortunately they have to make money... I dislike the paid stories but what can you do...

Problem is it's not specified that it's sponsored and at the same time no one in their right mind would recommend purevpn. As it was mentioned already they are truly bottom tier. And what's worse with them their support is below bottom tier.
    iamspamicus
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2018
    nastilon said:
    Reizla said:

Problem is it's not specified that it's sponsored and at the same time no one in their right mind would recommend purevpn. As it was mentioned already they are truly bottom tier. And what's worse with them their support is below bottom tier.
    Are you not seeing the SPONSORED label on the scroller image on the main page, the SPONSORED orange image ahead of the title on the news page? I mean, how much clearer does it have to be

Those things don't come to the forum SNIPPET on the forum because it's just that -- a snippet. The intent, and the information about it being a sponsored article, is quite apparent if you bother to click the full link. It doesn't get much clearer than that. But to appease those of you who don't or won't click full links to find the very obvious information, I've included it in the forum title as well. *facepalm*

If you think that we're unique in putting up maybe 2-3 a month (and often much fewer than that), you're not looking at the internet with open eyes at all. Many sites run sponsored content. 

Without the rampant use of ad blockers, we wouldn't have to run sponsored content. At least we don't force whitelisting like a vast number of sites out there.

1.JPG 56.1K
    2.JPG 59.6K
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited December 2018
    Aye it is pretty clear it is sponsored it's in the title itself. How can anyone be that blind?

Reizla
    said:
    May be if you didn't have staff and people depending on you for their livelihood you can manage to have a site that lives on fresh air and sunshine.
    [Deleted User]SBFordOctagon7711cheyane

SBFord said:

nastilon said:

Reizla said:

Are you not seeing the SPONSORED label on the scroller image on the main page, the SPONSORED orange image ahead of the title on the news page? I mean, how much clearer does it have to be

Those things don't come to the forum SNIPPET on the forum because it's just that -- a snippet. The intent, and the information about it being a sponsored article, is quite apparent if you bother to click the full link. It doesn't get much clearer than that. But to appease those of you who don't or won't click full links to find the very obvious information, I've included it in the forum title as well. *facepalm*

If you think that we're unique in putting up maybe 2-3 a month (and often much fewer than that), you're not looking at the internet with open eyes at all. Many sites run sponsored content. 

Without the rampant use of ad blockers, we wouldn't have to run sponsored content. At least we don't force whitelisting like a vast number of sites out there.

Literally all those sponsored that you have circled weren't showing up for me before.

@kitarad it's in the title now. It wasn't before.

Since we are on the topic. A lot of people won't go read the whole article and will take it as actual opinion and not sponsored content, so that's misleading. Isn't this why the law required to make it as clear as possible that something (article, video etc..) is sponsored. No one will do a in-depth research to see if it's sponsored or not.
    iamspamicus
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2018
    SBFord said:
    nastilon said:
    Reizla said:

Literally all those sponsored that you have circled weren't showing up for me before.

Since we are on the topic. A lot of people won't go read the whole article and will take it as actual opinion and not sponsored content, so that's misleading. Isn't this why the law required to make it as clear as possible that something (article, video etc..) is sponsored. No one will do a in-depth research to see if it's sponsored or not.
    It takes literally NO "research", let alone "in-depth research" to find out it's a sponsored article. For pete's sake. I can't believe you're fighting this one. If YOU missed all the markers, that's on you, not us. It probably means you have all images / ads blocked because it's very apparent.

But, hey... I put it into the article title here just  for you, not because it's needed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited December 2018
    I'm curious, those who do, what you got against PureVPN? I've been a user for 11 years now, and not just for giggles but for serious stuff and haven't experienced a single problem, period. What's the problem here? 
    SBFord
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited December 2018

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

nastilon said:

Reizla said:

It takes literally NO "research", let alone "in-depth research" to find out it's a sponsored article. For pete's sake. I can't believe you're fighting this one. If YOU missed all the markers, that's on you, not us. It probably means you have all images / ads blocked because it's very apparent.

But, hey... I put it into the article title here just  for you, not because it's needed.

Don't have any images/ads or anything blocked. The only reason I don't is because I tend to visit sites I trust and I believe that not blocking their ads is a form of support.
    Not having sponsored in the title is misleading. Most people don't look for a sponsored anywhere in the article, so if it's not in the title it's obvious that a lot of people won't find out about it.
    If my mother for example who isn't a savvy inet user looked at the article and didn't see sponsored in the title she would take it as an actual recommendation and might buy it if she needs that. If that's not misleading what is? Obviously no one who is savvy enough would get mislead, but those that aren't might.
    What's more PureVPN is a joke.

@ConstantineMerus curious what "serious" stuff you mean... Generally people who actually do serious stuff don't use VPN. VPN is literally lowest form of protection especially if a person is using cheap VPN like purevpn for example.
    iamspamicus
    @Xingbairong online banking and e-government administration. I'm not sure what do you mean by cheap, but it is more expensive than your average VPN on the market. Unless you are talking about a special compaany, I don't recall ever seeing one more expensive. 

@DMKano I'm not doing anything illegal so I don't mind about the 5 eyes part but as for keeping logs, do you have a source for this? 
    Xingbairong

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    DMKano said:
    @Xingbairong online banking and e-government administration. I'm not sure what do you mean by cheap, but it is more expensive than your average VPN on the market. Unless you are talking about a special compaany, I don't recall ever seeing one more expensive. 

@DMKano I'm not doing anything illegal so I don't mind about the 5 eyes part but as for keeping logs, do you have a source for this? 

My source is an FBI contact that I work with when my company has a cybersecurity attack and I have to submit logs to FBI.

If you are not doing any torrent or downloading pirated stuff, you dont have to worry so much other than being reported in error (like logs showing illegal stuff are pinned to you).

I personally choose to use VPNs that are in territories where 5 eyes has no jurisdiction and zero logs are kept.
    Thanks for the info mate. 

I see. Sorry it didn't cross my mind that people use it for those stuff. I suppose it should be OK for this type of stuff, since it's not illegal, so you don't have to worry about your info being handed to 3rd parties, but generally up till a while ago it was even in their TOS I believe where they stated that info was being kept, also they were providing wrong info about what technology(encryption and security protocols) they are using and up until a while ago they had a lot of dnsleaks(read they don't have any more, not sure about that, can't check it, since I don't use it).
    I said cheap because if you want to use PureVPN you can always find some coupon or promo and get it really cheap, while there are other VPN who almost never give discounts/promos because they know their product is good.

I have a friend who works for the UN and when I told him that I was using VPN for security he literally laughed in my face for about a minute. Then he told me that generally VPN is good for gaming and browsing, but anything that is important should be done with other programs(sadly I didn't remember any of those that he recommended because after I checked them I realized that they are way out of my league to use) and as a whole as DMKano said try to use VPN companies that are located in counties that show the middle finger to any requests from authorities and be sure that they don't save your info which as I said PureVPN used to do(not sure if it does it now).
    But for me at least everything else is irrelevant compared to the support that I contacted once. It was before I did any research on them. There was a great offer and I decided to get purevpn even though I have 2 other vpns that I'm ok with and generally I don't need VPN that much, but it was just too good of a deal. So when I tried to get the deal it didn't work, so I contacted support and it feels like I was getting trolled. All my questions got that generic auto response and they kept circling the responses, so I never even managed to get a normal answer even though I was talking with a human being. It was really irritating and in fact I got contacted by them after and even offered me 1 month free as an apology, but at that point I had done my research. There's just too much negative reviews compared to the positive about this company.
    ConstantineMerus
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Sign of the times the conservatives have always mistrusted government to some extent now the liberal factions do because of Trump. Fear mongering from both sides (with LEGIT concerns) selling them something that is more a part of what theyre trying to avoid than nothing at all. It would be like having condoms lubed with live sperm... youre better off using nothing.