Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMoRPG of The Year // Opinion

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,194
    Sorry OP,i was all set to listen and read because opinions are fair,each person is allowed one,however BDO is a HORRIBLE designed game,no way could i ever be convinced otherwise,especially knowing that i played it.
    NOTHING,absolutely nothing but the graphics are good inside of BDO,graphics alone do not make a quality mmo+rpg.Then just to add insult>>>cash shop,so big time fail far i'm concerned.
    Like i don't like Wow but i GET IT, i know what it is doing to attract gamer's but BDO,not a chance in hell.Oh and pvp again NEVER works inside of a rpg,so yet anotehr fail by BDO,immersion ruining all over the game,just one mistake after another.
    Prime_Directive

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,023
    Thanks for your opinion friend :)

There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I could not name one. RPG of the year that is. Sure; BDO is great. Not just stunning visuals but a love for detail in world design and things to do and how you have to utilize it I miss in most other MMORPGs. But then again while the visual diversity in character creation is king there the mechanical is one of the lamest. Race-class-gender-weapon type all locked together (although they sometimes come with a somewhat similar counterpart of the other gender). The bit of kind of useful PvE grind there is gets interrupted from PvPers whom are to lame to survive on the PvP server (a real PvE server does not exists) and in the recent months the economy got awkwardly shifted to more microtransactions which are actually macrotransactions.

There should be no MMORPG of the year award; there should be a least annoying MMORPG of the year award :-P

I still would not knew which one I'd gave that price though.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member UncommonPosts: 1,469
    Sometime eventually I'll have to get around to ESO, I hear that overall it has made leaps and bounds from its initial launch. However these days I find myself with not enough time.
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,760
    Mars, I love ya man, but no.

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,597
    edited January 9
    What game have you played that had open world boss fights in a non instanced persistent world ? 

ArcheAge among others. 

Having open world bosses is not something BDO introduced.
    Prime_DirectiveKyleranTheScavengerpoorbaby
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Mars, I love ya man, but no.

Just wait for the koolaid effect to wear off.
    OG_ZorvanTrolldefender99KyleranTheScavengerpoorbaby
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,564
    I'm going to have to join the other pranksters and vote for Fortnite. Yes I know it isn't an MMORPG. However more people are playing it now then all the other MMORPGs combined. For better or worse it is this generations Wow. And much like Thanos snapping his fingers its going to send shock waves throughout the entire game space that will dictate how games are made and played for some time to come. Much like Wow did to the entire MMORPG genre.
    Trolldefender99

"You can go to land of make believe and you can pretend
    But in the end you still have no friends"

I'm going to have to join the other pranksters and vote for Fortnite. Yes I know it isn't an MMORPG. However more people are playing it now then all the other MMORPGs combined. For better or worse it is this generations Wow. And much like Thanos snapping his fingers its going to send shock waves throughout the entire game space that will dictate how games are made and played for some time to come. Much like Wow did to the entire MMORPG genre.

Incidentally Thanos mode in Fortnite was my favorite by far

MisterZebubPrime_DirectiveTrolldefender99TheScavengerpoorbaby
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I had my best MMO moments this year in Darkfall New Dawn. Nice PvP and intense encounters. Sadly due to wrong buisness moves the Dev's are gone and it will probably shut down soon. But for me, it was the best version of Darkfall with local banking and no teleporting.

Playing Gloria Victus atm, its very early access but playable and has some nice stuff to discover. 
    Trolldefender99
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,481
    You could give BDO MMOish game of the year, but it only scraps in as a MMO so I cannot see how any awards could be given to it. How about "Most interesting economy that could be used in an actual MMORPG?" :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

DMKano said:
    What game have you played that had open world boss fights in a non instanced persistent world ? 

ArcheAge among others. 

Never said they evented them, I did field bosses in Lineage 2 , archage and age of conan. All 3 of those games have instances. Archage Library ring any bells ? Really graphical compared to BDO, Archagewe looks like LotRO. 
  • ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,333
    DMKano said:

ArcheAge among others. 

yep, that is something everquest or maybe AO introduced, like 10++ years before :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited January 9
    I got to chime in on graphics // People can say  they aren't important, but they really are. In BDO i feel like I'm at home, in a player house, I travel back and forth from all over the lands. From Hiedel to Sand Grain  and Sand Grain to Calpheon.  The sun gleaming in the morning mist after a battle with Kza and the sand storm  in the battle of Nouver.

We've all played countless mmorppgs, and what I'm reading is a lot about ego or nostalgia, all that needs to be packed into a box , so one can allow themselves to enjoy maybe in our life time on of the greatest mmos ever developed.

Think it is a travesty that people have so much hate from all of the failures they've endured to not allow themselves to really give BDO a shot. If you play BDO like an "arms race" you'll never understand the full beauty of the game.

My last post on this.

Post edited by Prime_Directive on
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Final Fantasy 14: They achieve class fantasy superbly well and the music is the best in any MMO I've played to date.
    Prime_Directiveblueturtle13
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I got to chime in on graphics // People can say  they aren't important, but they really are. In BDO i feel like I'm at home, in a player house, I travel back and forth from all over the lands. From Hiedel to Sand Grain  and Sand Grain to Calpheon.  The sun gleaming in the morning mist after a battle with Kza and the sand storm  in the battle of Nouver.

We've all played countless mmorppgs, and what I'm reading is a lot about ego or nostalgia, all that needs to be packed into a box , so one can allow themselves to enjoy maybe in our life time on of the greatest mmos ever developed.

Think it is a travesty that people have so much hate from all of the failures they've endured to not allow themselves to really give BDO a shot. If you play BDO like an "arms race" you'll never understand the full beauty of the game.

My last post on this.

I have about 400 hours in it and it is definitely p2w which is the most unfortunate part about it.  Some of the life skills are quite interesting, and that's the best part of the game.  If the whole game wasn't set up to be a skinner box and actually added some group content like dungeons rather than just griiiiind it could be a better game. 

The buy-in is the worst part of the game, you need 5 loot pets (you really need more like 30 so you can get 5 pets above tier 1) for $10 each or else the game is an R spamming simulator.  You need weight limit increase PER TOON or you won't be able to grind for more than 30 minutes without traveling who knows how far to unload, $40-60 worth, you need a horse whistle PER TOON, you need multiple storage and transaction maids so you can grind for longer than an hour.  You probably need inventory space, extra worker lodging, p2w costumes (semi optional, if you like to be gimped), storage slots in major cities and you definitely must be running value pack which is this game's subscription equivalent ($15/mo) and more before the game is even comfortable to play. 

I won't even get started on buying costumes to melt or artisan's memories, pure p2w.  This game is a $200 investment absolute minimum imo.  This is not to say BDO is without its charms, mostly the life skills, worker empires and afk moneymaking, but it has a huge laundry list of problems primarily centered around monetization, as most eastern developed MMOs published in the west are plagued by.
    Shaigh
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,233
    Dick1232 said:
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    WoW for me

Literally....you might be the one person who thinks WoW was the MMO of the year with that shit-show BfA.
    Literally...it s more this site that thinks that. My guild is growing lol, BFA is actually a lot of fun. For a 14 year old game it s holding it s own rather well. I guess that literally makes 2 hey.
    I first read this as "For a 14 year old girl" and was nodding my head in agreement.

;)
    blueturtle13

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,233

My last post on this.

Nice graphics, but totally unnecessary,  my friends and I just returned to DAOC and it wasn't at all about the graphics.

But then again we are not shallow like that, just how we roll.

;)
    Prime_Directiveblueturtle13

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,764
    edited January 15
    Thane said:
    DMKano said:

ArcheAge among others. 

yep, that is something everquest or maybe AO introduced, like 10++ years before :P
    No .............. UO like most game features .. Did it first

and AC after UO ..

I dont know of any prior to that
  • FishForceFishForce Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I choose Neverwinter
    Prime_Directive
    edited January 15
    Kyleran said:

My last post on this.

Nice graphics, but totally unnecessary,  my friends and I just returned to DAOC and it wasn't at all about the graphics.

But then again we are not shallow like that, just how we roll.

;)
    I tried  DAoC a long time ago because of Portal with Dave. Just couldn't get into it because I alrready had played Lineage 2 and wa sused to a certain level of graphic stimulation that DAoC didn't have.  I would love to try DAoC if they ever upgrade the game engine.

As far as immersive feeling of DAoC , it just doesn't hit the level I need or even expect iin the 21st century. I played SHadowbane for a long time, those graphics were worst then DAoC, but I loved the pvp and the thrill it gave me, and BDO hits that thrill on a sub level when dealing with rred players.

If my eyes aren't pleased , my mind isn't pleased, that is a huge part of mmos are for me, pleasing the mind  with a criteria and level of components that all click together. I'm glad your mind can be pleased with 1990 graphics and sub par animations; for me, as a gamer in the 21st century knowing what current technology can do and I'm always looking for progression in a genre not regression, I need something current and new, and advanced to satisfy my mind. 

THis is why BDO hits my criteria, MMORPG GOTY.

As for Edlerly Souls Online, they added more of the same with 0 progression. How that can even remotely considered as GOTY, is pretty much paid for and bought position.

I'll post more if need be. I like the "old troll" attempts special from devout Eve players. .
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,767
    I think it is cool you have a game you love and are pleased with OP.
     I played BDO and it just was not for me. It never clicked with me. Granted I only put about 30 hours into it but I had to make myself play it that long. It is just not for me. 
    On the other hand though I don’t see a reason to slam other games for not being the game you like.
     They all have an audience. 

Personally I stopped playing mmorpgs all together. Gran Skrea was the last one I played. It is a decent indie game and tries really hard. 
    The genre is just tired to me. I can’t get excited about any of them. The genre is too familiar. 
    I am interested in and follow Dual Universe.  Novaquark is a very talented group with some exciting tech behind their game. 
    On a side note gaming as a whole has been amazing lately. I have played some stellar games over the last year and am looking forward to many more this year. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,750
    edited January 15
    I think Black Desert could be a strong contender for game of the year.

I mean, after all, it was in the #2 slot for the player poll right?

Elder Scrolls Online and Black Desert are very different.

I'm always tempted to keep playing Black Desert as I really loved my time in it. Having my Valkyrie getting rolled more often than not was sort of frustrating which led me to think about re-rolling but I love my Valkyrie!

Perhaps I'll try again.

I should add, there is a lot to do in Black Desert. It might not be for everyone and there are issues, but is there an mmo that someone, somewhere, doesn't think have issues?

Every mmorpg on this site has its detractors and every mmorpg on this site has issues.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,886
    edited January 17
    Lineage 2 is my best mmo ever made but Black Desert Online is hands down the best mmo to come along since then. If only it was more group oriented based around trinity mechanics.

As I have said before, 

Black Desert is the best mmo available for people that are tired of the WoW / Wow Clone type gameplay. 
    Prime_Directive
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,544
    edited January 17
    It is tempting to try BDO for me, but i just feel it would end up being a waste of time.

I thought lineage 2 was a great game minus NCSoft and their bot issues.

EVE to me was really what an MMO should feel like, but alas, what my brain wants to play and what i enjoy are different.

I actually liked project gorgon for some unknown reason, brain said i shouldnt like it, but i did. But i dont want to lay 30 to 40 dollars for it. 

Overall, i think, im kind of done with MMORPG to a certain degree. Too bad, im still mind fucked by path of exile.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.