Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMoRPG of The Year // Opinion

Comments

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Do you have a list of game 'Released' this year that we should be choosing from?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,727
    I mean, if you are hardcore in to P2W, BD makes sense I guess.
    Never underestimate the combat impact of +1 Luck underwear!
    blueturtle13ConstantineMerus
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,689
    Phry said:
    I can attest to that. True story.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • PpiperPpiper Member UncommonPosts: 991
    Went back to GW2 a few months back and almost leveled another toon to 80. Can't seem to muster playing any longer. So, since it was the only MMORPG I played this year, hats off to it.
  • summerstringssummerstrings Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I think for me it has to be the Lotro legendary servers which offer has renewed my interest in the game , I missed a lot of the content in base game and first three expansions so its been ideal for me to enjoy it for the first time . 

A very close second is Project Gorgon followed by GW2 . 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,674
    Phry said:
    BDO is fine as long as you stay away from PvP. But lets not pretend that the +1 underwear is the biggest offender.

The patch that they added a few months back that lets you buy Pearl shop outfits and then melt them down for Cron stones or Valk Cries has pretty much blatantly opened the doors to P2W. You can essentially buy your enchantment attempts now. Before that it was present in the more subtle form of Artisan's memories (AKA cut the repair costs of your fail enhancement attempts by 3/4 of the price if you give them RL money).

It's why the gear levels skyrocketed so much over these last few months too.
    I like BDO. I play BDO. But that doesn't mean I'm going to outright deny the devs doing some crappy things. And I'm definitely not going to call it a perfect game when they do things like that.
    Gdemami

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 511
    Star Citizen made a huge amount of progress in 2018, it gets my vote.
    cmacqViper482
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,753
    edited December 2018
    Geeky said:
    Do you have a list of game 'Released' this year that we should be choosing from?
    Legends of Aria
    Bless Online
    Maple Story 2
    WOW BFA
    Warlords Awaking
    Conan Exiles
    Rend
    Defiance 2050
    Dauntless
    Wild West Online
    Dark & Light
    Soul Worker
    Sea of Thieves
    Project Gorgon
    Conquerors Blade
    Tera (Console version)
    Darkfall New Dawn
    MU Ignition
    Life is Feudal 
    Atlas
    Shroud of the Avatar
    Jean-Luc_PicardGdemamiPrime_DirectiveScotKyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,665
    thunderC said:
    Geeky said:
    Legends of Aria
    Bless Online
    Maple Story 2
    WOW BFA
    Warlords Awaking
    Conan Exiles
    Rend
    Defiance 2050
    Dauntless
    Wild West Online
    Dark & Light
    Soul Worker
    Sea of Thieves
    Project Gorgon
    Conquerors Blade
    Tera (Console version)
    Darkfall New Dawn
    MU Ignition
    Life is Feudal 
    Atlas
    Shroud of the Avatar
    You sir, have just opened a massive can of worms.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JeffSpicoliViper482Rockinw311Prime_DirectiveScot
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,674
    thunderC said:
    Geeky said:
    Legends of Aria
    Bless Online
    Maple Story 2
    WOW BFA
    Warlords Awaking
    Conan Exiles
    Rend
    Defiance 2050
    Dauntless
    Wild West Online
    Dark & Light
    Soul Worker
    Sea of Thieves
    Project Gorgon
    Conquerors Blade
    Tera (Console version)
    Darkfall New Dawn
    MU Ignition
    Life is Feudal 
    Atlas
    Shroud of the Avatar
    That is one depressing list.
    Granted, I like Conan Exiles, but I wouldn't call it an MMO.
    JeffSpicoliKyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RenndRennd Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Maple Story 2 is not bad. Not my cup of tee but its a good game
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,114
    Fallout 76 easily.
    Viper482Kyleran
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,023
    edited December 2018
    BDO has Dragons  New World Boss "Garmoth"  .  Weird were players think putting a tent up is a good idea near a boss fight ? :o // setting at medium. Was crazy ...

I thought the fight was epic :D
    Jean-Luc_PicardkitaradTrolldefender99
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,771
    Rennd said:
    Maple Story 2 is not bad. Not my cup of tee but its a good game
    Huh, I forgot i was playing that pretty regularly....I think that's where my vote goes actually lol.  You're right, it's a good game...but it can get a bit repetitive.  That said I think that's why I stopped playing, should go back now.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,597
    edited December 2018
     Weird were players think putting a tent up is a good idea near a boss fight ? :o // setting at medium. Was crazy ...

Why do you think this is weird?

Tents in BDO are invulnerable to damage - they provide buffs, also weapon repair, storage, a vendor to sell crap to - there is nothing but upsides to campsite tents.

Putting up tents near grind spots/bosses - is the most efficient thing you can do.

I don't understand why this is not a good idea?

Also - world bosses in BDO are an absolute joke - I've done every world boss fight 100s of times back when I was desparately grinding for boss gear.

It's a player gang-bang that is 100% routine and there's nothing epic about it - except that the boss dies every time and it's just a thing to do.

This is just another boss to add to the rotation - that is all, another boring and unintersting fight - just like all other world boss fights.

Yeah.. about that
    Trolldefender99poorbaby
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 2,848
    none , this year has been horrible (no surprise here) for mmorpgs...
    MisterZebubKyleran
  • SharneSharne Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Quite sadly from a personal point of view, this site has been more entertaining than any MMO's to me for the last couple of years, make of that what you will ;)
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 6,799
    I also vote for none of the above. 

I put maybe a month back into GW2. FFXIV off and on but not for very long. I didn't try BFA at all, as pvp doesn't interest me. Bless for a couple of weeks after it went F2P. Lineage 2 Revolution Mobile for a few weeks, mostly because I was traveling a lot and autoquest is nice to tune out to while sitting around on a layover.

I patched AoC, but couldn't get the interface to play nice on 4K. I bought BDO, but couldn't get into it at all. I played a bit of Destiny 2. I am currently running through another class story on SWTOR (I do about one per year). I tried a handful of asian F2P - every now and then I find something that occupies my attention for a bit, but nothing bit this year.

All in all, I have probably played more Madden Football than I have MMOs, which is a shame because I'm not a sports game guy. Factorio takes the crown for me for Game of the Year - again. It is far from an MMO though. 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member RarePosts: 1,891
    I know nothing about BDO.

When you say P2W, is that hundreds of dollars or thousands of dollars?
    Come home, North Man.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,194
    99% of the modern mmorpg's get a complete fail,a couple get a playable and somewhat decent but nothing is a solid AAA game design.
    All i ask myself when i look at a game is "would i want to play this kind of design" and "if i was the boss "would i accept this game design".
    Answer for these modern mmorpg's is a definitive NO and NO.

When i tried ALL of these mmorpg's i was so disappointed,it was almost to the point of painful to try and stay logged in more than 20 minutes.Even my beloved Square Enix has left me extremely disappointed on several occasions.Geesus i even thought...no way could i go wrong buying Dragon Quest Xi..pfft boring and lazy design not nearly acceptable.

You know what it feels like to me,developers just look at the OTHER guy and say "well our game isn't very good"but hey it is better than the OTHER guys.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,764
    its still UO
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,764
    thundered said:
    Geeky said:
    Legends of Aria
    Bless Online
    Maple Story 2
    WOW BFA
    Warlords Awaking
    Conan Exiles
    Rend
    Defiance 2050
    Dauntless
    Wild West Online
    Dark & Light
    Soul Worker
    Sea of Thieves
    Project Gorgon
    Conquerors Blade
    Tera (Console version)
    Darkfall New Dawn
    MU Ignition
    Life is Feudal 
    Atlas
    Shroud of the Avatar
    Project Gorgon is the best MMORPG on that list easily imo
    edited January 9
    DMKano said:
     Weird were players think putting a tent up is a good idea near a boss fight ? :o // setting at medium. Was crazy ...

Why do you think this is weird?

Tents in BDO are invulnerable to damage - they provide buffs, also weapon repair, storage, a vendor to sell crap to - there is nothing but upsides to campsite tents.

Putting up tents near grind spots/bosses - is the most efficient thing you can do.

I don't understand why this is not a good idea?

Also - world bosses in BDO are an absolute joke - I've done every world boss fight 100s of times back when I was desparately grinding for boss gear.

It's a player gang-bang that is 100% routine and there's nothing epic about it - except that the boss dies every time and it's just a thing to do.

This is just another boss to add to the rotation - that is all, another boring and unintersting fight - just like all other world boss fights.

Yeah.. about that
    Weird because on something like Karanda when you need to see the red circle for her AOE, there are tents all over and you can't see the red aoe circle, #dead. THe bosses are fun to do for me, they have a lot of kdifferent ones  World and Field bosses.

Actually no other game has this many bosses on a rotation that I can think of off the top of my head.

Also like the chage of World Boss xp being node wide, so the entire server node is contributing to the kill.

What game have you played that had open world boss fights in a non instanced persistent world ? 
    and did that dude just a heart ? Thing is like 800,000,000 silver O.o
    My play settings :

Remastered Settings :

in remastered, it looks like a pixar movie, it so amazing.  There is no other game like this currently with this level of detail in the game world and with  this much content.

MMORPGotY : Black Desert Online
    Trolldefender99Kyleran