Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMoRPG of The Year // Opinion

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,185
    Conan Exiles & FFXIV, IMO The only 2 really getting it right. BDO is good as well.

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Everquest in all  it's iterations to include Live, TLPs and P99.
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 1,916
    Black Desert Online 
    Warriors are like steel, when you lose your temper you lose your worth.
  • HorusraHorusra Member RarePosts: 3,957
    WoW for me

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,206
    Tallest dwarf contest...
    CryomatrixScot
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,206
    Horusra said:
    WoW for me

Literally....you might be the one person who thinks WoW was the MMO of the year with that shit-show BfA.
    GdemamiTriddle
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I feel a slight tinge of unease when people place aggressively P2W games on such a high pedestal.
    sgelJean-Luc_PicardScotOctagon7711GdemamiPalebane
  • Dick1232Dick1232 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Viper482 said:
    Horusra said:
    WoW for me

Literally....you might be the one person who thinks WoW was the MMO of the year with that shit-show BfA.
    Literally...it s more this site that thinks that. My guild is growing lol, BFA is actually a lot of fun. For a 14 year old game it s holding it s own rather well. I guess that literally makes 2 hey.
    Horusrasumdumguy1Viper482Gdemami
  • Mars_OrbitalMars_Orbital Member UncommonPosts: 273
    BDO Continued :

Forgot to add Housing to the post. There is something about traveling on an adventure and having a perminant house to come back to. Not just a place that I can put couches and tables, but actual usable utensils and even a storage container to do processing in the house.

A lot of developers can learn a lot from BDO's housing, top notch implementation.

Gdemami
    "Killed just about everything that walked or crawled at one time or another,and I'm here to kill you Little Bill, for what you did to Ned" - William Munny / Unforgiven .
    I only take screenshots in remaster, can't run the game that way, computer is old :(
    "Killed just about everything that walked or crawled at one time or another,and I'm here to kill you Little Bill, for what you did to Ned" - William Munny / Unforgiven .
    edited December 2018
    DMKano said:

It's the epitome of being taken advantage over and over again meanwhile the same players are singing their praises about how the game is not P2W, yet they are spending more money on BDO than any other game period 

Unreal 

I bought the mid level pack and that all I've bought. I've gotten 4 free pets, over 1 billion in free silver through events and one maid and one butler free . I personally have never seen a game give away so much "useful" items in my 20 years in the genre.

Most of your comments were not relevant to the game simply because they are subjective, much like my OP opinion.  YOu should add "For me the game is" , I've played way grindier games, and every single mmo in the genre  is a grind. That is why BDO is the last game I will ever play that has levels.

Post edited by Mars_Orbital on
    Tokken
    edited December 2018
    Loved legion the best of any. Loved WoD...

ESO has the worst animations
    Those few words explain why I agree with very little of what you said... except WotLK.

If you like BDO's animations, but not ESO's, there's a problem somewhere I think... possibly of perception.
    You got to be kidding. ESO  bended leg waste swivel, vs fully animated body parts ... ESO is pretty stiff.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,472
    Loved legion the best of any. Loved WoD...

ESO has the worst animations
    Those few words explain why I agree with very little of what you said... except WotLK.

If you like BDO's animations, but not ESO's, there's a problem somewhere I think... possibly of perception.
    You got to be kidding. ESO  bended leg waste swivel, vs fully animated body parts ... ESO is pretty stiff.

ESO has shit animations, agreed.
    Mars_Orbitalsumdumguy1
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 2,472
    I'll join the "nothing" crowd.  This year the longest I played a game was GW2 for like a month.  Nothing else has been even remotely interesting, and even then I can't give a vote to GW2 considering I'm not playing it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member EpicPosts: 15,223
    IDK about BDO housing,something i never got into,quit the game before that point.If it is done anything like the rest of the game,then likely terribly done.

Then again Wow doesn't even have housing and it has the most players,so why exactly are people playing ROLE playing games if some of the role playing content does not even exist?

as to mmorpg of THIS year 2018,idk i quit playing all of them because they are just half assed game designs.So i would be lying if i said i know who is or was doing it the best in 2018 because i really don't know.

I only play FFXi on a private server,it best suited for me at this point whiel i wait for some great mmorpg to arrive out of nowhere.

I very honestly feel i will not be alive to see the day a new AAA,really well done mmorpg comes out.I do happen to know what can be done by developers,i am not expecting things that are impossible to do.There is NOTHING incoming for 2019 either.

So this is likely why we see soooo many mobas and arpg's and BR's and survival games,all the lowest denominator games,the cheapest and easiest to design because developers are afraid to get their hands dirty on an aggressive robust mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,756
    BDO Continued :

Forgot to add Housing to the post. There is something about traveling on an adventure and having a perminant house to come back to. Not just a place that I can put couches and tables, but actual usable utensils and even a storage container to do processing in the house.

A lot of developers can learn a lot from BDO's housing, top notch implementation.

I agree on that part. BDO as one of the best housing/crafting system ever.
    Mars_Orbital
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

edited December 2018
    BDO Desert of Valencia : If you don't have a compass, it can be very tricky to navigate :D These little features that add up in BDO make it amazing imho, and yes, ifg you aren't paying attention the Desert will kill you. :

My Archer :)

• ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 9,876
    Keller said:
    call me crazy but I had a few good months in WOW's BFA expansion. Sure, I had bunch of people to hang out with, who could have made any mmorpg fun to play. Yet we all chose WoW to be the game we all would meet up.
    OK your crazy. :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,512
    Scot said:
    Keller said:
    call me crazy but I had a few good months in WOW's BFA expansion. Sure, I had bunch of people to hang out with, who could have made any mmorpg fun to play. Yet we all chose WoW to be the game we all would meet up.
    OK your crazy. :)
    Well, technically, you didn't call him crazy! :tongue:
    Scot
    • "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Butterfly FX from The Butterfly Effect by Moonspell
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro. 
    • Adopted @Kyleran as my virtual father - I put him in my signature since he worries about me all the time and this way he can keep track of me when I talk to strangers here!
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Currently Playing: Destiny 2: Forsaken / Spider-Man: Turf Wars
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 8,110
    GW2 has always been the one I've come back to.  
    Mars_Orbital

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 170
    WoW, not because it was good with Bfa this year, only cuz rest of MMOs is so bad compared to WoW even after all those years. And I have to laught to those who thinks MMO scene is gonna be brighter soon
    GdemamiMars_Orbital
  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 9,876
    Amathe said:
    Well if it's mmo, not mmorpg, and just for this year, maybe Fortnite? Seems to be the most popular. But I can't personally vouch for that.
    Not a MMORPG or a MMO.
    Gdemami

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,882
    Its weird but in 2018 I haven't spent one second playing mmorpg, mmo's or online multiplayers games.
    Mars_Orbital
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • RenndRennd Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I'd say FFXIV.
    It does most things right and I do enjoy every new expansion better than the last one. If an old mmo is supposed to earn the best mmorpg of the year, in my books, it needs to release a good expansion that year.

BDO on the other hand, its going downhill.
    I don't think is p2w either but it has some major flaws.

It released with the sandbox mindset but it turned into a generic mmo with some sandbox on the side.
    They rarely release any life skills, its all centred around more pve content (classes, grind zones, nothing more).
    The life skills they have are pretty much mobile games you can set on auto. The new zones are generic and don't have the "life" older ones had (First zone and Valencia), they clearly lowered the budget on that.

The innovative/amazing character creation is lacking. Not even close to the most amazing character creator.
    You got a billion sliders but they hardly change anything and if they do, they usually make your character look bad so you should slide them back.
    No one ever mentioned that you have 10 hairstyles, 5 tattoos and the sliders will barely make you any different than the rest.

Aion, B&S, ESO and even FFXIV character creator is better than BDO. At least I can look different from the guy starting at the same time with me on the same class. Not like his lost relative.

Mars_Orbital
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,538
    Despite the rage it often triggers in me, for me it's BDO for now as well.
    Don't get me wrong though. The moment something without all the P2W bullshit releases, I'm dropping it. It has a lot of good things going for it, but it also has a lot of absolutely awful things going against it, most of them brought up by Kano earlier.

It says a lot about the state of the genre too. How little new there actually is that's worth playing. :(
    Mars_OrbitalKyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/