Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bill’s Favorite Games of 2018 - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The title isn't called "The Absolute Bestest Games of 2018" it is just a personal favorite list. People getting offended over someone having a preference is just beyond insanity. 

@BillMurphy good list. I suggest to get the Spider-Man's DLCs and I think the season pass is on sale now. It has a nice wrap-up in the end. I'm also a big fan of the game but regarding "but I can’t think of a title that was more all-around perfect in pacing and execution than Insomniac’s Spider-Man" I have to say think God of War and better to change your opinion before I lose my cool!! ;)
    SBFordBillMurphy[Deleted User]KyleranScotOctagon7711
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Viper482 said:

TheHiveLeader=TheRageWhisperer. Who would have thought?

Well he does have keep a bunch of bees calm to do his bidding and not turn into angry bees and sting him to death so he has some qualifactions. ;)
    MadFrenchie
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Nice list. I like seeing ones that differ from my own as it inspires me to either give a game I chose to ignore a second look, or gets me to pay attention to one.

By the way bill, Starlink doesn't actually require toys! You probably already know this so I guess I am stating it for the other readers. But you can buy it all digitally and its cheaper that way too.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    madazz said:
    Nice list. I like seeing ones that differ from my own as it inspires me to either give a game I chose to ignore a second look, or gets me to pay attention to one.

By the way bill, Starlink doesn't actually require toys! You probably already know this so I guess I am stating it for the other readers. But you can buy it all digitally and its cheaper that way too.
    Right. I bought Starlink's digital deluxe edition, which is content complete, on sale for 50% off on the eshop recently. 
    BillMurphy
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'm sure the Switch is great, I just can't use the standard controls with my meaty sausage hands comfortably and I hate to hear u have to deal with storage space or pay extra for something that's usually standard in any other console, plus their usual online issues, but it's tough to beat them, because they still understand that gameplay is King and doing lots more with lots less.

I couldn't be happier with my PS4 Purchase early this year, as there's so many great exclusive games to play still.

My favorite games of 2018 probably run a year or two behind...ha

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• metarealmetareal Member UncommonPosts: 32
    1. Fortnite (PC)
    Fortnite = (Audio based social network + Persistent changing world). The all thing packaged in a Battle Royale Trojan horse with 200 millions players. I suspect Tim Sweeney will be the real John Halliday (Ready Player One).
    2. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    Beautiful world, great combat, good AI story.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    assasin greed odyssey . dont remember any other good game tis year.... oh yeah,Rimworld?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm going to be honest, @BillMurphy: I'm offended you even felt the need to share your favorites.  I mean, who do you think you are, some kind of MMORPG.com staff or something?  What, are you a "manager" round here?  Huh??   HUH?! :D
    BillMurphyOctagon7711

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Red Dead didn't really grab me when it launched but I went back this week and am having a blast.  I too hope F76 will move forward to become a better game. All the criticism is well deserved and it has probably frustrated me more than any other title this year but underneath all of that is a decent concept and I have fun playing it.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    No Thronebreaker? No Graveyard keeper (campiest game of the year). NO Jurassic world? (yeah people forgot about that one I guess). Hell even RAFT was fun for 20-30 hours. The of course Conan Exiles. For some reason that game didnt take off at all even though I thought it was the best effort in awhile. I guess small server game infatuation is dead.

A lot of playable games came out this year. IMO a banner year overall for PC.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Nothing that was "AAA". Ugh. MMORPG genre... you have let me down.
  • TheScoxTheScox Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Fallout 76 made your list but Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War didn't? You have lost your mind and any respect I had for your opinion.
    KyleranrojoArcueid
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2018
    TheScox said:
    Fallout 76 made your list but Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War didn't? You have lost your mind and any respect I had for your opinion.
    You enjoy games on consoles, clearly your opinion must be disregarded. 

PC Master Race, only and forever.

:D 

RemyVorenderrojoArcueid

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Planetside 2
    No Mans Sky
    Overwatch
    RemyVorender

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'll probably try Fallout76 once they add the private servers option & the text chat.
    Not big on being on voice the entire time. And even less so on dealing with the troglodytes that infest public servers on survival games.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is on sale for $14. It's a 2017 game that you can pick up in 2018. Very cool game.
    A 2017 game you can pick up in 2018??!! What a brilliant new feature, I wish all games would implement that!  ;)

That price is insane though and its a brilliant game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scot[Deleted User]HatefullrojoArcueid
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    edited December 2018
    So few good games these days that the list isn't wrong /cry minus spider man there should have better things at this point
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

I do think Bill has taken FO76 as the albatross he will wear around his neck, into next year and beyond, gamers will no doubt echo the rhyme:

Ah! Well a-day! What evil looks

Had I from old and young!

Instead of the cross, the albatross

About my neck was hung.

But he sticks to what he believes in and I have admiration for that. The others I have either played or will play; but as for the Switch, well anything other than a PC with a widescreen monitor is for the birds. :)

I always wondered where the expression "an albatross around their neck" originated from. Just one of the many phrases we often use without ever knowing their origins.

I guess in my case it would be FO76 is one of my crosses to bear, it's one of my favorite games in 2018, but then again, I don't "play around" as much as everyone else seems to. ;)

NMS and EVE are the only other newer titles I played along with a couple of older games including a lot of FO4.

I really haven't even heard of most of the other games posters are suggesting, especially those for toasters... err I mean consoles.

I do know of a few on Switch as my son and his BF both bought them this year so I often hear about some of the titles when I ask them what they are playing lately.

Here, the Rime of the Ancient Mariner in its purest form, an Iron Maiden song...
    ConstantineMerusScot

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey was a real shocker, it's actually enjoyable.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2018
    Torval said:
    Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition is on sale for $14. It's a 2017 game that you can pick up in 2018. Very cool game.
    That was my GotY 2017. Really good game and the only game in my entire PS library i feel the need to ever platinum because i couldn't stop playing. I am 3 trophies away from that plat.
    [Deleted User]

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey was a real shocker, it's actually enjoyable.
    Really? I assumed it was the same as all the other assassins creed games so I just didn't pay it any mind.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

mikeb0817 said:

I guess Bill didn't bother to play Red Dead?

Many people haven't, me included. The OP list is personal. RDR2 doesn't have to be on everyone's list by law.
    [Deleted User]

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Aeander said:

This has been a weird year for me, as I've basically put my PC down for much of the year to play console games from 2017 and 2018. That's where I feel that the real excitement and innovation is coming from right now.

2017 gave me Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Mario Odyssey, NieR Automata, and my game of the year, Persona 5.

2018 gave me Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Spiderman, Spiro Reignited Trilogy, Monster Hunter World, and my game of the year, God of War. And I still have to find time to play Starlink, RDR2, and DQ11.

2019 will likely be even be even better with Devil May Cry 5, Metro Exodus, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and my most anticipated game in over half a decade, Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

how u dare to forgot Kingdom Hearts 3?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

mikeb0817 said:

I guess Bill didn't bother to play Red Dead?

Many people haven't, me included. The OP list is personal. RDR2 doesn't have to be on everyone's list by law.
    When you come waltzing into my town it does partner (spits into spittoon).
    Octagon7711BillMurphyKyleran
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Fallout 76?!?! You know Bill, you're a great guy and all but it's pathetic for us to accept such trash releases from triple A, or any developer... Fallout 4 was steps down from fallout 3 but Fallout 76 is on the same level as Atlas, if not worse. Early Access title sold as a full release. Each their own, I guess.
    Kyleran