Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ELEX, a review so far (best RPG ever)

12346»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 11,931
    Archid said:
    Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    I agree on some level. Elex is great, not masterpiece but really, really good. And i first did hate the combat.. until i learned it! :D I have over 60 hours in and i havent finished it yet... over lvl 30. But im kinda stuck in one quest, since i cant seem to kill one monster that i need to advance in the main quest line... so there's that :\
    Which monster?
    Umm, it was somekind of quest for Nasty i think, havent touch it for awhile... Oh right a troll named El Colosaro :D
    Ah yes that one. Depending on when you go to the Outlaw fort you can be pretty low level for that quest. The first one with Nasty is easy enough but that one can be tough. You should be fine now that you're 30+ if you have good ranged damage.

And you're right that's keeping you from the follow-up quest which is a big deal in the main plot line.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,131

Is 60% off at Steam

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,220
    Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    Iselin said:
    Archid said:
    I agree on some level. Elex is great, not masterpiece but really, really good. And i first did hate the combat.. until i learned it! :D I have over 60 hours in and i havent finished it yet... over lvl 30. But im kinda stuck in one quest, since i cant seem to kill one monster that i need to advance in the main quest line... so there's that :\
    Which monster?
    Umm, it was somekind of quest for Nasty i think, havent touch it for awhile... Oh right a troll named El Colosaro :D
    Ah yes that one. Depending on when you go to the Outlaw fort you can be pretty low level for that quest. The first one with Nasty is easy enough but that one can be tough. You should be fine now that you're 30+ if you have good ranged damage.

And you're right that's keeping you from the follow-up quest which is a big deal in the main plot line.
    Even The Big Bang quest for chapter one I got very early.  It was impossible at low levels, it helps  with ranged weapons to kill the robot easer too.  I waited until I got my ranged higher, but ended up taking him out mostly with grenades and a heck of a lot of running.  Also figured out his pattern. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 8,110
    Most people are use to getting missions that are close to their level in games.  This game will give you missions that are way over your level.  The only thing to do is lower level missions and come back to the harder ones later. 

ESO used to do this and I was forced to review my skills and rotations and update them with better alternatives.  It was nearly impossible at time but it made me a better player and even then sometimes I had to come back over leveled in order to complete a quest line boss.  People complained so much they watered them down a lot.  It's nice to see this again in a game.
    YashaX

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,218
    edited January 10
    If you're a game reviewer you can't play EVERY game so sometimes you have to take what they say with a grain of whatever granulated substance you please. Sometimes a game isn't f#$%ing on the first night and it's probably not a good look when reviewers have a laundry list of other stuff to play (to monetize content).

This was a thoughtful share on the game, and it made me check it out on Youtube at least, so kudos to OP for that. I'm going to do a little more personal research.
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 11,931
    Most people are use to getting missions that are close to their level in games.  This game will give you missions that are way over your level.  The only thing to do is lower level missions and come back to the harder ones later. 

ESO used to do this and I was forced to review my skills and rotations and update them with better alternatives.  It was nearly impossible at time but it made me a better player and even then sometimes I had to come back over leveled in order to complete a quest line boss.  People complained so much they watered them down a lot.  It's nice to see this again in a game.
    In ESO some of those were a bit over-tuned at release and they did need some toning down but they went overboard and trivialized them. The fact that Gutsripper, Doshia and a few others were a pain back in those days made those fights memorable. Now they're just content you chew up without giving it much thought.

Octagon7711YashaX
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,220
    I'm level 23 or so, been a bad week at work, so I had a slow period.  

I feel this is IMPORTANT:
    I'm now in Chapter 2.  I'm not sure what kicked me into it.  I think completing "The Big Bang quest" in the main story line.  Beforehand it felt like I was running out of quest.  Now I'm over run with them again. 

The game seems to ramp up in difficulty above my character building.  I have to say Companions and fighting from roof tops and using grenades is a life saver.  Many of the quest I find are taking me to the snowy part to the north (new unexplored region).  This area consist of more bad guy Albs and robots.....It now feels like I was in a tutorial area all along.  Not only fighting more difficult enemies, I have to deal with cold exposure elements... it really ramped up !  

Now heres the IMPORTANT PART... Character building. 
    Point allocation for both attributes and skill points come slow. 
    Only 10 attribute's and 1 skill point per level.  This would NEVER be enough unless your really good. 

Under crafting, many recommend chemistry. 
    It's vital to spend this one point... why ?....Because you need to craft
    - "elex drinks" to gain 2 attribute points per drink.
    - "Strong elex drinks" to gain 1 skill point per drink.

Here you can Character build for both Weapon equip and Skills needed.  You'll finally able to use much better weapons that were all carrying in our inventory :)

As an added bonus,
    You'll be able to purchase enjoyable non-combat skills such as pick pocket and such. 

The complexities and mechanics of Elex, blows Skyrim out of the water  >:)