Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas Mostly Negative on Steam

124»

Comments

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited December 2018
    barasawa said:
    Phry said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    Its day one, could you imagine what WoWs review would of been after day one?
    If WoW had been an asset flip of Everquest, probably very similar  ;)
    LoL, if WoW had been an asset flip of EQ, it would have been re-using just about nothing from EQ.  People forget that when WoW came out it was a light year ahead of EQ and the others at least.  It may be old and dated now, despite it's upgrades but it was a massive increase in visuals and capabilities way back then. 
    One simple example of one of the changes. Other games, including EQ, the changes in clothing/armor were nothing but skin swaps. WoW actually had geometry and 3d objects for some of theirs.  Most obvious example, shoulder armor. 

I'm not against your analogy, if you'd choose something that actually fit.  Maybe EQ vs EQ2 would be a lot closer to what you wanted, but EQ2 seemed a lot like an attempt to catch up to WoW to some extent, or so it seemed to me.
    ~

WoW came out shortly after EQ2 came out, and I would would say on a technical (and possibly gameplay) level it was behind EQ2. WoW was ahead of the original "titans" of the genre, but was itself a middle-ground in it's design even at launch.

Also not sure I get your other example as EQ had mesh swaps for things like shoulders and weapons with geometry, while the torso and legs were generally texture swaps, which is exactly what WoW also did. It's only relatively recent for them to add any geometry to the main body armors.

Saga of Ryzom, as a comparison, also released a few months earlier than WoW and graphically had actual differing geometry for chest armors, which WoW lacked. Alongside other technical systems like the ability to customize abilities and a migratory ecosystem.

Star Wars Galaxies also came out the year prior to WoW and comparatively had more complex models and a real-time lighting system (though it was questionable in quality since most things had a cel-shaded effect with it since it shaded per-polygon).

Wouldn't call the analogy that far off in this regard, as Blizzard intentionally swung low with the visuals to make them stable on a wide berth of systems, and as a result they were really not the cutting edge even of their time.
    ScorchienMadFrenchieRedempKyleran[Deleted User]tweedledumb99Thahar
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    32K people in-game.  It's raking in the money.  I guess it's me, folks.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Right there with you, but I don't get Twitter either.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

ScorchienrojoArcueid

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:
    Right there with you, but I don't get Twitter either.

;)
    IDK man, I've just had such bad experiences with early access.  I'm really discouraged with it.  I'm not the type who enjoys an incomplete and unpolished experience, even knowing that's what to expect.  I don't have the patience.
    KyleranThahar
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2018
    Nilden said:

Thats a pretty damning video ....Thx for sharing

Glad i held off .. maybe in a couple months it will be in better shape
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Our alpha early access game has lag ! Negative Review !
    The devs are selling it.  There's no requirement to buy that you have experience with software development and testing.

Sounds like a dev problem to me, not a consumer one.
    Sorry mate, I categorically disagree. Consumers buying a fully stated unfinished game at full price and then being pissed off when its, guess fucking what, unfinished, is expressly a consumer issue.

Early Access Game

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development

This isn't buying a horse from market, Zebub.  We've gone way beyond consumers having the industry or product specification knowledge to be considered on the same level as the producers of the industry.
    No this is buying a pig in a poke. All it would take is for the consumer to have some fucking self discipline and wait a couple of days after release to see if the game is a shit show instead of jumping on every new game like a live fucking grenade, usually with the exact same result.

I agree its shit that companies are allowed to sell a product in this state, but its consumers spending money with zero self restraint that allows it to keep happening.
    This is the general public.  Your assertion that gamers should just show restraint ignores reality.  It's a statistical impossibility that you can get such a large population to act so consistently, just as it's a statistical impossibility that a population in a game won't contain a small number of folks willing to cheat.

Folks approaching this issue from the "consumers need to change" position are great...  As idealogues.  It's never going to be realistic, though.  And you'll be shouting this same line til the day you die.
    And your assumption that companies will stop trying to get away with selling unfinished even badly broken games when consumers, as you've stated, lack any ability to avoid buying them, out of some misplaced idea of nobility or honesty, is just as patently absurd.
    I agree.  Which is why I don't believe just asking them is the right course of action, either.

But if you've gotta get some animals to the pen (because I love a good analogy and we had some good animal ones going), which is easier: a small pack of dogs, or hundreds of cats?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    It's now down to 20% positive--and with over 8000 ratings.  Why do so many people buy a game at the start of early access and then immediately complain that it's about as big of a mess as you'd expect for a game in such an early state?
    Kyleran
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Quizzical said:
    It's now down to 20% positive--and with over 8000 ratings.  Why do so many people buy a game at the start of early access and then immediately complain that it's about as big of a mess as you'd expect for a game in such an early state?
    It's an asset-flip of an existing title, early state doesn't apply here other than the fact that they just "officially" released it.

The only thing new about this is their tacked on netcode that is supposed to be the backbone for their 40k+ player infrastructure. Which works about as well as expected.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Quizzical said:
    Perhaps they shouldn't have released an "early" "access" game in such an unplayable state?  This isn't even a beta at this point.  
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I am surprised I can run this with my gtx660 and in the time from when I first got in til now the lag has gotten better and less rubberbanding mobs, like I saw very few today. Unfortunately I keep getting ganked 2-3 mob types at same time. Have yet to be ganked by a human.

edited December 2018
    Asheram said:
    I am surprised I can run this with my gtx660 and in the time from when I first got in til now the lag has gotten better and less rubberbanding mobs, like I saw very few today. Unfortunately I keep getting ganked 2-3 mob types at same time. Have yet to be ganked by a human.

Like I told @Redemp, keep us updated.  I'm interested in it (despite the was-it-DLC debacle, because it's currently priced like a DLC anyways) and wanna know how they do with recovering from launch and ensuring network performance/overall optimization.

Asheram said:

Like I told @Redemp, keep us updated.  I'm interested in it (despite the was-it-DLC debacle, because it's currently priced like a DLC anyways) and wanna know how they do with recovering from launch and ensuring network performance/overall optimization.
    it needs more persistance in some areas I think to be worth it for people to stick around as in the  numbers they want
    I was lvl 7 with my hair grown out some and either logged off due to host problems or got dcd dont remember but now i am lvl 4 with stubbkle.
    might have been a rollback which is what i hope and not have to go through groundhog day alot
    MadFrenchie
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited December 2018
    Torval said:
    I pay less attention to the overall rating and exactly what people are saying in the comments. The comments that matter to me are the ones that detail why the games works, or not, for the user. I compare that to my laundry list of wants and deal breakers, watch some game play, and then make my own mind up. As much as I hate how streaming culture has affected the hobby, watching game play really helps me make a decision.

When I see massive trends in one direction or another I get suspicious. I don't like it when social movements try to sway my opinion because they like or don't like something. I usually hold off and do more research.
    Not sarcasm - This post should be taught to MMO gamers to help them choose games, no joke. Well said Torval.
    [Deleted User]
    DMKano said:
    Asheram said:
    Asheram said:

it needs more persistance in some areas I think to be worth it for people to stick around as in the  numbers they want
    I was lvl 7 with my hair grown out some and either logged off due to host problems or got dcd dont remember but now i am lvl 4 with stubbkle.
    might have been a rollback which is what i hope and not have to go through groundhog day alot

That rollback is due to character data failing to commit/save to the player database.

You were lucky only to lose 3 levels, some players have lost entire characters - as in completely gone.

Yep, created a character logged in leveled up a bit - disconnected and boom - character deleted. 

Yep. To say that this game is not ready for public testing would be a huge understatement 
    But if you are a fan of the setting I feel the price of admission is worth it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Asheram said:
    DMKano said:
    Asheram said:
    Asheram said:

That rollback is due to character data failing to commit/save to the player database.

You were lucky only to lose 3 levels, some players have lost entire characters - as in completely gone.

Yep, created a character logged in leveled up a bit - disconnected and boom - character deleted. 

Yep. To say that this game is not ready for public testing would be a huge understatement 
    But if you are a fan of the setting I feel the price of admission is worth it.
    Funny thing. I get paid to functional test software, but if the developers turned over code as unstable as Atlas appears to be I would be permitted to reject it back until they could successfully prove it was working in their unit testing.

I would then move on and test something else instead.

Probably a good idea if most gamers consider playing something else as well. 

Even $25 isn't worth this much aggravation in my book, even if one is a "fan" of the setting. 

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

So considering Sea of Thieves is half off currently, and they seem to maybe be pulling a No Man's Sky when I read the content updates...  I'm thinking I'm gonna jump in there and check it out while WildGrapeShot gets Atlas figured out!
    Kyleran

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Finally got most things squared away on the server. Four Node server is absolutely massive ... floating around on a raft took an hour and a half to travel half way on one node, granted wind is an issue on rafts without a rudder. Found a decent island to start on ... got everything built up and a shipyard, discovered there wasn't any metal. Time to move ...  sloop was finished and everything of value stored, off to find a new island. 

There is a good chunk of new mechanics and adjusted mechanics. Ships can have a diving section added to them ... which I think pumps O2 to a suit, but I can't figure out how to produce the suit yet. 

Metal has been changed pretty dramatically, you can use base metals to produce base goods ... but every region/biome has unique resources such as Cobalt, Copper, Iron etc. (Not to mention veggies, fruits, etc.) All of them seem to have a specific function -  I'm sure it will be simplified once I figure it out but for now .. new is new. 

Taming is strange too ... most mobs seem to have a required resource to tame, such as corn for pigs? I'm not sure how to tame the aggro mobs yet ... bolaing them just roots them. Passive tames are standard fare from Ark though. (Monkeys seem to just like berries of any kind).

Ships have weight and stats that level. Crew amounts and even the ability to reduce crew consumption of gold/food. Larger ships can obviously hold much better sails, gunports, and a dingy attachment. 

The piracy skill tree is interesting as well: Flotsam finder, ability to salvage shipwrecks, dig for treasure, diving modifiers. I'm not sure if all of it is implemented yet though as I haven't seen any flotsam yet. (Didn't select the skill). 

Small additions I have found the most interesting: Buoys : Water storage, I want to check these to see how long they last - if sharks aggro them etc.
    Customization of ships: I can obviously add attachments and change the sails, I'm going to see if I can't build a house boat ... or something with a heightened deck. It may be a simpler system for building a ship than I anticipated off the Dev streams -  they suggested most things were able to be customized.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2019
    I learned so much over the last 2 weeks i could write a novel on what is going on the good the bad and the ugly.

So i will try and sum it up in an easier fashion.

The game is about 100x better state than on release.Patches happening every single day.IS that the proper way to release a game,no it is not but at least they didn't make the sales and quit supporting it.

TONS of stuff to do,you won't have enough time in the day to feel satisfied.

unlike the current state of mmorpg's,chase around yellow markers,race to end game instances,gear scores,this game is wide open.You can spend days just building ships/boats or building a house or other structures.Taming is fun,tons of great pets,go watch the you tube video of some player hugging a pet penguin lol.The Monkey rides on your shoulder and you can craft him a pirates hat lol.The few pets like th monkey also warn you when danger is near.

Mounts,there are a few,idk i think you can ride about 10 or so different creatures.

I was not sold on this game what so ever,but i watched some elderly players on twitch and learned a lot about the game and saw what it was actually doing.Bottom line,even though the official servers have quieted down,i still feel there are a few really good private servers that are just way more fun leaning towards PVE than pvp and the one i play on has both,3 grids pve 1 grid pvp.
    kitarad

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.