Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlas Mostly Negative on Steam

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
29% positive reviews on Steam, and yet it's also a top seller.  It seems that peoples' appetite for early access dog shit knows no bounds.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/
[Deleted User]Harikennatpickd_20

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    29% positive reviews on Steam, and yet it's also a top seller.  It seems that peoples' appetite for early access dog shit knows no bounds.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834910/ATLAS/
    Its also 17% off  :p
    AsheramScotHariken
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited December 2018
    Its day one, could you imagine what WoWs review would of been after day one?
    [Deleted User]MightyUncleanAsheramOctagon7711mrputtstweedledumb99
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    DrunkWolf said:
    People buying into and defending these early access shit shows are the reason gaming is in the state it is today.
    [Deleted User]mrputts[Deleted User]AsmodeuXHarikenRhygarthrojoArcueidTezcatlapoccanatpickd_20
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DrunkWolf said:
    If WoW had been an asset flip of Everquest, probably very similar  ;)
    KyleranCyber_wastelandrojoArcueidd_20tweedledumb99
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited December 2018
    Yep it's because everyone paid $25 and can't even play.

In fact I heard that some people were allowed to login to their actual "servers" and obtain files and information on a reddit post which was removed, but not before I saved a copy of the details.

This makes me think if I just wasted $25 can't play, or if this is another FO76 );?

Tokken
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It's release day.  The server and login woes are almost inevitable.

If it continues for days, then we can grab our bics and pool noodles about the server issues.
    ConstantineMerusnewbismxKyleranSovrathtweedledumb99

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    DrunkWolf said:
    Back when WoW first came out there was actually a real beta, not this early access bullshit. 
    KyleranPhryHarikenrojoArcueidd_20
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited December 2018
    On a side note if you are a fan of the setting Blackwake is on sale for $8, well worth the price. Something to do while you wait for Atlas to get sorted.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/420290/Blackwake/

MadFrenchieKyleranInteritus
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    When WoW came out everybody was crying because they couldn't get into the game.. the game though was solid once you got in and didn't get kicked out.  They had scaling problems.. if that is ATlas' problems then sign me up.
    jimmywolf
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I dont understand why people buy early access games then complain that they are garbage because they are early access.

KyleranIlayaGwapoJosh[Deleted User]HarikenrojoArcueid
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2018
    I played Atlas for a bit. Haven't been able to play today cause of the servers. But it was weird..cause I have some videos on my channel I got an invite. But I don't even stream rofl. And my best video has 100k views, maybe they saw that one cause it was from Ark. But I'm not actually a streamer, but oh well I was glad to be able to play so can't complain

First thoughts?

Well, the islands could use more variety...its a lot of copy/paste islands

As someone who didn't like Ark, this game is a TON better. I thought Ark was dumb, but that is partly cause I like pirates more than what Ark was. Granted I love dinosaurs more than pirates, but I want to BE a dinosaur not tame them (like Beasts of Bermuda that just came out where you can play as a dino, or Lizardmen in Warhammer Total War). 

The ocean aspect of this game is VASTLY better than AC Odyssey, at this point not nearly as good as AC Black Flag (vastly superior pirate game), and a big part of that is the severe lack of variety of islands. AC Black flag also has a ton more ocean and actual pirate content than in this game, and a ton more content overall.

So to sum it up

Superior to Ark, also vastly better than AC Odyssey...not nearly as good as a pirate game and a severe lack of content and island variety compared to AC Black Flag which still remains the superior pirate game and still remains the superior ocean game
    Kyleran[Deleted User]mmolouPhryd_20

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I think its beyond silly to be rating a game at all on the first day- Especially one of this magnitude.
    KyleranScot
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    edited December 2018
    Day-1 MMO reviews, what's the surprise there?

It's just people who can't play because of servers overwhelmed and failing, things normalize over time as usual and people can stop crying oceans of salt.

Game is more fun than Ark, more linear progression, a linear theme, much better to play together with others. So for a frozen pun "Let the storm rage on!".
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    MaxBacon said:
    Day-1 MMO reviews, what's the surprise there?

It's just people who can't play because of servers overwhelmed and failing, things normalize over time as usual and people can stop crying oceans of salt.

Game is more fun than Ark, more linear progression, a linear theme, much better to play together with others. So for a frozen pun "Let the storm rage on!".
    Linear? How so?

One of the things I really like about Ark is the sandboxy nature- But Ark is quickly becoming one of the most 'fun' games ive played in a very long time and if this is akin to 'Ark' on a grand scale, with a giant server...Wow.

Kyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    edited December 2018
    newbismx said:
    Linear? How so?

One of the things I really like about Ark is the sandboxy nature- But Ark is quickly becoming one of the most 'fun' games ive played in a very long time and if this is akin to 'Ark' on a grand scale, with a giant server...Wow.

Linear as implementing things as skill trees, the whole recipes and even features unlocked by progressing on those skill trees.

The sandboxy nature of building and such is there, but it's not full sandbox, as the core of this game lies within your boats you see that this is more the base ship asset (so they look as good as you can see) that you can customize, linear enough to make it follow the intended theme.

Atlas gameplay linearity will fall more on world exploration with your ship, either with AI crew you hire and/or other players.
    newbismxKyleran
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    what happen to the graphic

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well the graphics as i expected would be lower than in any marketing video so no surprise there.
    The water looks great but yeah we see this a lot now.
    People should really realize by now that soon you see ANY game that is a survival game or an APOC themed game,you know the dev is aiming for a cheap easy build.People got excited over a marketing video,they made the game look way better than it really is,again not surprised.

It its like when you see a marketing video for a movie,you petty much see all the good points rolled into one video to help sell the product.

IMO far too many menus not enough real animation/interaction.
    I can see the effort is simply not there,this is a rushed game,just liek they did with ARK ,they saw they had a sales gimmick" dinosaurs" and this is "Pirates" but Ark was released extremely too early and bugged and this is released lacking in content.

Just like we also see a lot of now a day,this developer is going to sell you the rest of the game in increments,so they end up selling you the FULL game about 3-4x.They added some menu stuff to create some grind to keep players playing but i feel it won't be very long and this game disappears.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]ScotDrunkWolfTsiyaKylerantweedledumb99Thahar
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I think most of the review bombing is coming from the delayed launch and alot of "gamers" for one reason or another took it as a personnel insult that they gave access to streamers first.

I went into this with the mindset that this will be another conan exiles, Start off rocky and end up being a fantastic game. I like everything thats in place so far, lets see where they take this game. For 25 bucks ? I'll bite, My kind of game, my kind of crowd  ;)
    Scorchien[Deleted User]Kyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    thunderC said:
    I think most of the review bombing is coming from the delayed launch and alot of "gamers" for one reason or another took it as a personnel insult that they gave access to streamers first.

I went into this with the mindset that this will be another conan exiles, Start off rocky and end up being a fantastic game. I like everything thats in place so far, lets see where they take this game. For 25 bucks ? I'll bite, My kind of game, my kind of crowd  ;)
    Im hoping they can fix it up , but saw this messy launch coming ...

Im gonna keep an eye on it for a while and see how its going in February or so , Im also burned on the Survival aspects , so i can most definitley wait on punching trees and rocks ...

But the setting looks fun
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Luiden said:
    When WoW came out everybody was crying because they couldn't get into the game.. the game though was solid once you got in and didn't get kicked out.  They had scaling problems.. if that is ATlas' problems then sign me up.
    no wow not solid once you got in lol. there were massive lootbugs, ppl could not login, 8 hour queues, start over if you dced..variousbugs taht caused you to dc. i remember those days, i was there, also in the Beta.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Steam shouldn't allow reviews at launch IMO.  They should only allow reviews a month after release.
    KyleranMadFrenchieUngood

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Gorwe said:
    Well, is it that bad?

Matters not, I have the Storm Fleet and the Brazen Coalition and a bottle of rum! Fuck the Vmpires! Well, not literally. ;)

(Ixalan's a very nice set)
    No its actually fun, If you keep your expectations realistic ......
    Tokken[Deleted User]RedempKyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Tokken said:
    Steam shouldn't allow reviews at launch IMO.  They should only allow reviews a month after release.
    That would only send the signal to devs that they don't need to even attempt to launch smoothly; no Steam user can note the stability/performance issues for a month.
    JeffSpicoliTokken[Deleted User]ScorchienKyleranThahar

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 448
    Tokken said:

All that will do is allow people putting out a garbage product to collect funds for a garbage game for a month with impunity. Do it right and put out a quality product. First impressions are important.
    TokkenPhry