Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda said no loot boxes...

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,647
    edited December 2018
    Lokero said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:
    They exist in Fallout 4 and drop almost totally useless stuff, but apparently in Fallout Shelter they are a monetized loot box of some sort.

Still waiting for perk card packs and additional stash space to be monetized,  the game seems clearly designed to encourage both.
    Yeah, in Fallout Shelter the lunch boxes are indeed loot boxes. I expect they'll work the same in 76.
    To be fair to Bethesda, the lunch boxes in Shelter really were pretty well done, for a micro-transaction type item.

You got them just from playing the game, anyway.  They weren't hard to get without money.  So, even though they were monetized, it wasn't really that big of a deal(unless you had a gambling problem).
    Every game that gets into loot boxes will immediately or eventually focus development on the big ticket items contained in those loot boxes. These are typically non-essential but "fun" things that could have been obtained by playing the game.

People can use all the traditional rationalizations like "it's just cosmetics" or "it's just cosmetics and convenience" or "you don't need these things to play the game" or "don't like them, don't buy them" but all of those miss the point that these are all things that could have been added to the base game but weren't, not to mention all other things that could have been developed but weren't because there's no money in those other things.

And obviously, going by how those loot boxes do sell, even if they are things that don't interest you personally, some other players are into those optional things to spend money on a chance to get them.

A little story from Bethesda's sister studio, ZOS, for you...

They had an event recently with in-game RNG prizes for doing random dungeons through the LFG tool. The biggest prize featured was all 130 mount skins currently in the game.

One... Hundred... Thirty...

Mount skins in ESO are just that, skins. Those mounts may look different or they may have a slightly glitzier summoning animation with particle effects but they're just skins. 90% of them are also not obtainable in any way other than as an "apex reward" in a loot box.

They come at us at a rate of 6-8 new ones per monthly "crown crate season" and here's the 
    "big deal" part: they are a priority development item over and above any other feature they could be adding to the base game. IDK how much time and effort it takes how many developers to design, animate and add to the game but it does obviously take some.

Things in loot boxes for games that depend on those for revenues either directly or indirectly influence whatever else happens or doesn't happen to the game if for no other reason than limited development time and resources.

That's a big deal to me.

GdemamiOG_ZorvanKyleranTorvalalkarionlogAsm0deusMadFrenchie
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,231
    Wizardry said:
    It is sickening to see developers stoop to the lowest form of scum tryigng to dupe idiots out of their money.
    Then we get the people who say,WHO CARES,it is their money ,let them waste it if they want.
    Of course those people would not find their way out of a wet paper bag unless there was a hand holding marker over it.

When foolish people with money to waste start spending on garbage ideas,devs will cater our games to THEM and not YOU,so it DOES matter.If anyone has been THAT blind,take a look,the idea of cash shops are everywhere in almost all games.
    STOP supporting these trashy developers,let them rot,let them come begging for us to buy their games,STOP supporting cash shops/RMT.

And how old are you? 

Cash shops aren't new, they've been around for over a decade, and the fact of the matter is, they've proven profitable time and time again. 

That, explicitly is why they continue to be monetized. 

Call those that buy them whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is, they have money and they see value in the purchase. 

That's all that matters. They sell a digital product, someone who finds it worth buying buys it. 

It's a bad practice, but no worse than gambling in any other form, in terms of lootboxes. It's unlikely the people buying them don't understand what they are when they do it, they make the choice to do it.  It sounds like what you're really whining about is people with money.  

In the end, the only idiots are the people that spend money they don't have, but generally, the whales that keep these games going, they don't care about spending, and you can't tell them otherwise. It's obvious that if you can't handle people spending their money in games when they feel their money spent is justified, the game isn't for you.  
    ScorchienPanther2103alkarionlogpsychosiz1Gdemami

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,775
    Lokero said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:
    They exist in Fallout 4 and drop almost totally useless stuff, but apparently in Fallout Shelter they are a monetized loot box of some sort.

Still waiting for perk card packs and additional stash space to be monetized,  the game seems clearly designed to encourage both.
    Yeah, in Fallout Shelter the lunch boxes are indeed loot boxes. I expect they'll work the same in 76.
    To be fair to Bethesda, the lunch boxes in Shelter really were pretty well done, for a micro-transaction type item.

You got them just from playing the game, anyway.  They weren't hard to get without money.  So, even though they were monetized, it wasn't really that big of a deal(unless you had a gambling problem).
    The real problem will be when they put them in, then vehemently tell people lunch boxes aren't loot boxes, there's just lunch boxes that shoot loot. Like when Pete Hines vehemently denied Creation Club was paid mods, they were just mods you could pay for.  :D
    psychosiz1

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,313
    THANK GOODNESS IT WASN'T LOOT BOXES! AMIRIGHT?!?

On topic though, 'they' said a lot of garbage that wasn't true about this game, like it wasn't a Fallout 4 port yet still has fallout 4 bugs/glitches....? Or Todd saying you'd be able to place your camp ANYWHERE (....that the game lets you....). Devs/publishers are supposed to lie if they want to make money, its stupid not to. Its just like with NCSoft saying that they would continue to support Wildstar 'for years to come' yet shut it down within the same year. Its just like that other thread was eluding to, games in general aren't about creating innovative gaming experiences anymore, they are about how innovative devs/publishers can get with getting money out of the consumer with the least amount of effort. You saw that with SE in Deus Ex where they would charge you one-time use consumables and skill points that only worked on a single save file. Or SE again charging for a 2nd season pass only to stop development and not even offering refunds. Even Blizzard with WoW: BFA launching the expansion pretty much a year before it was ready and promising things would get fixed over time.
    OG_ZorvanAsm0deusGdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,780
    Wizardry said:
    It is sickening to see developers stoop to the lowest form of scum tryigng to dupe idiots out of their money.
    Then we get the people who say,WHO CARES,it is their money ,let them waste it if they want.
    Of course those people would not find their way out of a wet paper bag unless there was a hand holding marker over it.

When foolish people with money to waste start spending on garbage ideas,devs will cater our games to THEM and not YOU,so it DOES matter.If anyone has been THAT blind,take a look,the idea of cash shops are everywhere in almost all games.
    STOP supporting these trashy developers,let them rot,let them come begging for us to buy their games,STOP supporting cash shops/RMT.

And how old are you? 

Cash shops aren't new, they've been around for over a decade, and the fact of the matter is, they've proven profitable time and time again. 

That, explicitly is why they continue to be monetized. 

Call those that buy them whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is, they have money and they see value in the purchase. 

That's all that matters. They sell a digital product, someone who finds it worth buying buys it. 

It's a bad practice, but no worse than gambling in any other form, in terms of lootboxes. It's unlikely the people buying them don't understand what they are when they do it, they make the choice to do it.  It sounds like what you're really whining about is people with money.  

In the end, the only idiots are the people that spend money they don't have, but generally, the whales that keep these games going, they don't care about spending, and you can't tell them otherwise. It's obvious that if you can't handle people spending their money in games when they feel their money spent is justified, the game isn't for you.  
    Thats how i read it also , its Ironic that he calls people who have money (to waste) Idiots and Fools ....
    maskedweasel
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,637
    Kyleran said:
    I understand what you are saying Wiz, but you are shouting at the devil.

Devs make games which earn them the most money, not without good reason all the major dev houses are falling all over themselves to tap the mobile market seeing how well Pearl Abyss and NCSoft are doing there with their popular IPs.

As has been said about governments, people get the games they want, and are willing to throw money at.

Sucks for the rest of us....
    That may be, but things will certainly never change if people don't stand up and speak out and more importantly, vote with their wallets.  Keep up the good fight!
    Gdemami

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,005
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:
    Did they really add them? But for real?
    Not yet, but in another thread here there's a link to a PCGamer article where some smart person has been looking through the code in the latest patch and found multiple new references to Lunchboxes (which I haven't seen in FO76 yet), atoms and various rewards which might drop including buffs and experience boosters.
    So, we're still at that point. The point where they're still not implemented, still in raw data form.

Maybe there is hope for us yet. Maybe.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,276
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:
    Not yet, but in another thread here there's a link to a PCGamer article where some smart person has been looking through the code in the latest patch and found multiple new references to Lunchboxes (which I haven't seen in FO76 yet), atoms and various rewards which might drop including buffs and experience boosters.
    So, we're still at that point. The point where they're still not implemented, still in raw data form.

Not the way to bet, but perhaps if there is a raging response on the internet they'll hold off, at least until some of the other furor dies diwn.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,451
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

Not the way to bet, but perhaps if there is a raging response on the internet they'll hold off, at least until some of the other furor dies diwn.
    At this point, does it really matter?  The game is already a disaster, last I heard.  Implementing some loot boxes would be a nice last-ditch way to bring in a bit of revenue from the whales before it becomes abandoned.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,276
    Lokero said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

At this point, does it really matter?  The game is already a disaster, last I heard.  Implementing some loot boxes would be a nice last-ditch way to bring in a bit of revenue from the whales before it becomes abandoned.
    You are correct,  not a lot of "good will" left to shred eh?

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,451
    Iselin said:
    Lokero said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:

Every game that gets into loot boxes will immediately or eventually focus development on the big ticket items contained in those loot boxes. These are typically non-essential but "fun" things that could have been obtained by playing the game.
    Typically, I agree.  I take a game like GW2 as the prime example to prove your point.

The reason it wasn't bad in Fallout Shelter was because they basically gave you many free lunchboxes for completing quests, etc.  The boxes were basically randomized rewards for completing the random events/quests/dailies, etc.
    I wouldn't have a problem with that method in most games.  It isn't much different from getting a  typical quest reward.

Of course, they could easily lock a bunch of stuff exclusively into the boxes and make them hard to obtain.  Or, they could be lame and do what GW2 did, give everyone a million locked boxes and make the keys almost impossible to get.

I definitely don't have any more faith than you in any studio to implement anything fairly when money is involved.  So, I'm not suggesting they would do it right.  Just saying in Shelter, it was one of the more unobjectionable systems I've seen.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,385
    Does a lunchbox contain a lunch thermos?  Beecause man it's so easy to break or lose one of those. 
    TorvalOG_Zorvanmaskedweasel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,788
    Kyleran said:

Devs make games which earn them the most money, not without good reason all the major dev houses are falling all over themselves to tap the mobile market seeing how well Pearl Abyss and NCSoft are doing there with their popular IPs.

As has been said about governments, people get the games they want, and are willing to throw money at.

That may be, but things will certainly never change if people don't stand up and speak out and more importantly, vote with their wallets.  Keep up the good fight!
    As I've mentioned elsewhere before, people are voting with their wallets. And you are seeing the results.
    ConstantineMerusAlmostLancelot

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    Amathe said:
    Does a lunchbox contain a lunch thermos?  Beecause man it's so easy to break or lose one of those. 
    Well, as many of us have learned first hand or read about recently with Bethesda the lunch pail & thermos will be stated to be made out of aluminum or tin but then be made of vinyl, cheap plastic, or styrofoam.

I don't mind cash shop items because I like to know what I am buying.  As long as items are cosmetic & cannot directly effect game play I'm okay with it & might even participate time to time if the game is enjoyable.  Loot Boxes that don't publish their odds are gambling.  Why is that?  It is simply because we don't know the odds & the companies set the odds so dismal that if the odds were to be published the companies know most customers wouldn't consider participating.  And no matter what a gaming company states it isn't random, it is programmed so that can be from programmed to seem random all the way to programmed for only such & such to win & lose.  So far these gaming companies have gotten away with no accountability nor transparency unless willing to do so on their own.  Hence the difference between the 'willingness to accept' (WTA) being least cost & the 'willingness to pay' (WTP) being most cost in pricing of all things.  So indeed speaking with our wallets means something.

With Bethesda's recent Fallout 76 launch debacle I don't think they have such a strong foundation to possibly launch into another controversial category of gaming, but perhaps that's not the focus.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,097
    i´l wait for the actual word from Beth... I honestly do not think that Zenimax are so plain face dumb that they try to deploy loot boxes in FO:76... At least not right now... They would quickly learn that the horse armor thing was really just a fart in space compared to the wrath of Fallout fans should the game get loot boxes. 

Now personally i do not have a problem with gambling so i actually enjoy a loot box here and there, but i am mature enough to understand that i am not the one who the bar should be set by. Loot boxes are gambling, it might be "babys first gambling" but it use the exact same patterns and triggers and it does normalize it. 

Anyway i am off to ramble about Why the Epic vs dance emote suits might have some good to them... Video to be uploaded. 
    Gdemami

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Thane said:
    Wizardry said:

i wouldn't call em idiots, i would call em people with enough money.

the prob ain't that shit is sold, the prob is that people buy it.
    whenever someone buys something, there obviously was a market for it, and obviously you WILL find a seller.

and no, i don't have enough money :)
    Are you saying the only hope for the gaming community is a recession?  So devs have to make good games because idiots can't afford spend thousands of dollars on a video game anymore.  lol.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,035
    Wizardry said:

You did a pretty good job explaining that.  It drives me nuts when I hear people say who cares let some people waste their money on in game purchases it doesn't affect me.  Its mind boggling they cant see the connection.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,689
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, people are voting with their wallets. And you are seeing the results.
    Pretty much this. There's a thread going on right now in which you can find people literally bursting into a musical over the new $25 mount in WoW's cash-shop. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2018

^ Fallout 76 in a nutshell
    OG_Zorvanmaskedweasel

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,399
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

Pretty much this. There's a thread going on right now in which you can find people literally bursting into a musical over the new $25 mount in WoW's cash-shop. 
    There's a pretty salty article on Eurogamer about the prices of the FO76 cash shop. The dude goes into a bit of detail just what he thinks about it. Funny read on many levels. :D
    ConstantineMerus
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,585
    As much as I respect a protest for a good cause, burning down the barn each time a developer tries to live test cash shop ideas on the public will eventually lead PC developers to stop developing PC games altogether. Look at the example just this week of Blizzard giving up on HotS. The fantasy of PC games making godly amounts of money from FTP or cash shops has been falling apart all around us for the past few years. Even the streamer fad seems to be rapidly coming to an end which means bad news for PC games.

It's unfortunate developers have to resort to loot boxes to survive with all the competition from mobile but I prefer they go whaling every chance they can over having to play games on my tablet or switch for the rest of my life.

There are some games I enjoy playing that I'd be willing to give more money to but they are asleep at the wheel or too scared of backlash when it comes to anything related to the cash shop in PC games.

Need to decide if other people buying loot boxes bothers us more than not being able to play games on PC ever again.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member RarePosts: 6,221
    Wizardry said:

Totally agree! It's almost impossible to buy a new game these days that doesn't have Micro Transactions and/or loot boxes with deliberate crippled gameplay to force people to spend money, even when they just paid full price for the game!

It's starting to get seriously out of hand to the point that gaming stops being fun. They are crossing a read line, where gaming has become Gambling / Casino disguised as a game.

If Mobile gaming is any indication, where you can't find a decent game anymore these days, we are entering a dark age of gaming. :(
    Gdemami
    Gdemami said:
    JeroKane said:

It's starting to get seriously out of hand to the point that gaming stops being fun.
    ....they dare to make and monetize games way you don't approve?

Out of hand, seriously? Spoiled kid attitude much...?
    What has that to do with spoiled attitude?

Maybe you have been living under a rock the last couple years and didn't see the backlash of Star Wars Battlefront II and NBA2K18 last year? Where game progression was deliberately crippled to push people to spend "real" money on loot boxes / card packs to progress!

These are games that have a full retail price of 60-70 bucks and then start nickle and dime you for even more with every step you try playing the game.
    Gdemami
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,585
    JeroKane said:
    Gdemami said:
    JeroKane said:

It's starting to get seriously out of hand to the point that gaming stops being fun.

Maybe you have been living under a rock the last couple years and didn't see the backlash of Star Wars Battlefront II and NBA2K18 last year? Where game progression was deliberately crippled to push people to spend "real" money on loot boxes / card packs to progress!

These are games that have a full retail price of 60-70 bucks and then start nickle and dime you for even more with every step you try playing the game.
    The problem is that PC and console gaming did not start out that way so when they try to change the norm people get upset. With the vast amount of options now for gaming they probably do it out of necessity and not because they want to screw us like many believe. When they changed SWTOR to FTP they added tons of cash shop stuff in a time when it was blasphemy and it worked out well for them cause they monetized in a way that perfectly fit their game. Mobile games have their monetization down to a science cause they aren't torn between old rules and what they now need to do to survive.
    Gdemami
    edited December 2018
    BruceYee said:
    JeroKane said:
    Gdemami said:
    JeroKane said:

The problem is that PC and console gaming did not start out that way so when they try to change the norm people get upset. With the vast amount of options now for gaming they probably do it out of necessity and not because they want to screw us like many believe. When they changed SWTOR to FTP they added tons of cash shop stuff in a time when it was blasphemy and it worked out well for them cause they monetized in a way that perfectly fit their game. Mobile games have their monetization down to a science cause they aren't torn between old rules and what they now need to do to survive.
    All these mobile games are F2P. So the only way to make money is predatory Cash Shops. Not to mention that mobile gaming started in Asia, where F2P games with Cash shops was cultural norm.

Western made mobile games in early days were Pay 2 Play. Pretty much all of them, like the now infamous Angry Birds for example.
    Those were actually the golden days of mobile gaming, since you could find a lot of fun games you could just buy for a couple bucks and play without worry of micro transactions.
    Nowadays you practically can't find a single mobile game anymore without Micro Transactions and loot boxes, with very few exceptions like Monument or Super Mario Run and Final Fantasy ports.

You don't expect these kind of practices in a AAA game titles that already charges the max. premium retail for the box/digital download, then has a 30-50 bucks Season Pass and then on top also tries to predate you ingame for more money through micro transactions and locking game progression behind loot boxes ( SW:Battlefront 2 and NBA2K18 for example ).

This is Corporate greed going too far. They are just experimenting to see how far they can push people to spend more money.
    The case with SW:Battlefront 2 is a good example where they went too far and gamers finally saying enough is enough and protested until they were forced to remove the Cash Shop from the game an re-tool the progression via cards out of loot boxes!
    Same with NBA2K18, where 2K was forced to make changes because of backlash.
    Or going further back to the infamous Mass Effect 3 launch where they tried to sell a  DLC on Day 1 (piece of content that was deliberately cut from the game to sell separately to try rake in more cash). Also a huge backlash, where they ended up having to give away the DLC1 for free as Damage Control measure.

When they start hiring Micro Transaction specialists with Psychology backgrounds, that is not a necessity, but immoral huge corporations like EA, 2K, ActiVision, etc trying to find new sleazy ways to increase revenue more and more to the point that gaming itself gets lost in the process.

Loot boxes is gambling! Pure and simple. They are crafted in a way to predate on people with an addiction problem, just like Casino's are. It's highly immoral and why more and more governments are finally starting to look into this and implementing bans to loot boxes in games. Since most of these games are played by minors. Not to mention that gambling is outright forbidden by law in a lot of countries or have at least an age restriction of 18 or 21.
    Post edited by JeroKane on
    Gdemami