Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda said no loot boxes...

OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,762

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

PhryOctagon7711

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,234
    edited December 2018
    They exist in Fallout 4 and drop almost totally useless stuff, but apparently in Fallout Shelter they are a monetized loot box of some sort.

Still waiting for perk card packs and additional stash space to be monetized,  the game seems clearly designed to encourage both.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,579
    Read the Article thanks. Whole process seems kind of weird.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,199
    It is sickening to see developers stoop to the lowest form of scum tryigng to dupe idiots out of their money.
    Then we get the people who say,WHO CARES,it is their money ,let them waste it if they want.
    Of course those people would not find their way out of a wet paper bag unless there was a hand holding marker over it.

When foolish people with money to waste start spending on garbage ideas,devs will cater our games to THEM and not YOU,so it DOES matter.If anyone has been THAT blind,take a look,the idea of cash shops are everywhere in almost all games.
    STOP supporting these trashy developers,let them rot,let them come begging for us to buy their games,STOP supporting cash shops/RMT.

WellspringVorthanionDaranardeniter[Deleted User]RenndJeroKaneWaand_20

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200
    Wizardry said:
    It is sickening to see developers stoop to the lowest form of scum tryigng to dupe idiots out of their money.
    Then we get the people who say,WHO CARES,it is their money ,let them waste it if they want.
    Of course those people would not find their way out of a wet paper bag unless there was a hand holding marker over it.

When foolish people with money to waste start spending on garbage ideas,devs will cater our games to THEM and not YOU,so it DOES matter.If anyone has been THAT blind,take a look,the idea of cash shops are everywhere in almost all games.
    STOP supporting these trashy developers,let them rot,let them come begging for us to buy their games,STOP supporting cash shops/RMT.

Well said! Cash shops are NOT okay. Tired of all the people who try to argue that it is. 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]danwest58
    --------------------------------------------
    I understand what you are saying Wiz, but you are shouting at the devil.

Devs make games which earn them the most money, not without good reason all the major dev houses are falling all over themselves to tap the mobile market seeing how well Pearl Abyss and NCSoft are doing there with their popular IPs.

As has been said about governments, people get the games they want, and are willing to throw money at.

Sucks for the rest of us....
    MrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,848
    Kyleran said:

Still waiting for perk card packs and additional stash space to be monetized,  the game seems clearly designed to encourage both.
    Yup... as soon as I saw the perk cards that's what I expected.  I'm kind of shocked it didn't launch with them in the shop.

KyleranMrMelGibson

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,321
    edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    They exist in Fallout 4 and drop almost totally useless stuff, but apparently in Fallout Shelter they are a monetized loot box of some sort.

You seldom buy games until some time has passed, even sometimes over a year after it's release from my recollection of your posts in other topics. I was surprised you bought this game in spite of everything that was posted here and also what you might have gleaned form other sources.

As for the topic
    Surely you are not surprised by this development having clearly made this game as a pure money making machine with little to no thought to any other objective. They are merely realising their objectives and any pretence about it is over.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 2,875
    lunch boxes...lmao
    TorvalMrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, samsung evo 860 500gb SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

edited December 2018
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:

You seldom buy games until some time has passed, even sometimes over a year after it's release from my recollection of your posts in other topics. I was surprised you bought this game in spite of everything that was posted here and also what you might have gleaned form other sources.

As for the topic
    Surely you are not surprised by this development having clearly made this game as a pure money making machine with little to no thought to any other objective. They are merely realising their objectives and any pretence about it is over.

Yep, you are correct, I broke my normal pattern in buying FO76 at launch.

I considered cancelling my preorder after reading about how it was but I am a huge fan of the series especially FO4, so let it ride figuring everyone has to buy a crap game now and then which I've largely avoided since the ArcheAge debacle.

Being a fan I'm actually enjoying myself quite a bit in FO76 and for some reason haven't run into nearly as many issues as others or if I did haven't found them to be as severe as reported.

I checked my account, somehow I managed to opt out of the marketing which I sort of recall but it wasn't notably difficult to do so but then this isn't my first rodeo. :)

Lunch boxes are of no concern, as I don't RNG anything if it involves cash as the God I worship isnt known to be very keen on answering gambling prayers. ;)

Now if Bethesda would straight out sell double the stash space or individual Perk cards I might just take them up on the offer.

B)

• GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,000
    Did they really add them? But for real?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,737
    And this is pretty much why FO76 is now on sale for $15 or less. :p
    angerbeaver
  • SkellybonesSkellybones Member UncommonPosts: 85
    i think the shop is already a huge rip off and if lunch boxes come i will def not play at all... i barely even play anymore do to the exploits and bug where people are lvl 100 + and the push to talk was driving me crazy and the very small storage space is very frustrating ! good luck with all that fallout76
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,485

Anyone remember this?

Bethesda promises to ‘save the single-player gamer’ at The Game Awards

Jeff Grubb@jeffgrubb December 7, 2017 6:35 PM

Above: Rip Blazkowicz would probably kill single-player games for loot boxes.

Image Credit: Machine Games

Bethesda has heard your cries, single-player gamers, and it has enlisted the help of Lynda Carter to rescue you. The publisher debuted a tongue-in-cheek video during The Game Awards that imitates those ASPCA ads for animals in need. Only the animals in this scenario are people who prefer the endangered narrative-driven solo gaming experience.

The publisher didn’t announce any future single-player games, but it did point to its last two years of releases — many of which focus on offline campaigns. It is also launching something it is calling the #SavePlayer1 campaign.

TorvalDaranar

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,309
    Kyleran said:

Yup... as soon as I saw the perk cards that's what I expected.  I'm kind of shocked it didn't launch with them in the shop.

well, the perks has restrictions. So, it's not like you can get one m f-ing perk and own everything. I expected "perk card boosters" to be sold too.

Regardless, I don't miss any perk atm - so much so I changed my min after getting certain perk cards and adapting them to my build. So I really don't know how much other players buying perk card boosters would affect me - as much I am against it.

What worries me is if the perk cards boosters being sold will affect what you get within the game without spending money... That's the thing that happened in many games such Shadows of Mordor... and that's the real danger.

Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

Bethesda used to be great, but sadly, like Blizzard, they have gone all Activision  :'(
    d_20
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,523
    I don't know what is the bigger fool now, the ones who belive on bethesda again, or teh ones who like to be coned like this
    Phry said:
    Bethesda used to be great, but sadly, like Blizzard, they have gone all Activision  :'(
    when was this time you speak of? they never was great
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Gorwe said:
    Did they really add them? But for real?
    Not yet, but in another thread here there's a link to a PCGamer article where some smart person has been looking through the code in the latest patch and found multiple new references to Lunchboxes (which I haven't seen in FO76 yet), atoms and various rewards which might drop including buffs and experience boosters.
    Gorwe

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,762
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, in Fallout Shelter the lunch boxes are indeed loot boxes. I expect they'll work the same in 76.

• ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,334
    edited December 2018
    Wizardry said:

i wouldn't call em idiots, i would call em people with enough money.

the prob ain't that shit is sold, the prob is that people buy it.
    whenever someone buys something, there obviously was a market for it, and obviously you WILL find a seller.

and no, i don't have enough money :)
    KyleranDaranar

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,200
    Scot said:

Anyone remember this?

Bethesda has heard your cries, single-player gamers, and it has enlisted the help of Lynda Carter to rescue you. The publisher debuted a tongue-in-cheek video during The Game Awards that imitates those ASPCA ads for animals in need. Only the animals in this scenario are people who prefer the endangered narrative-driven solo gaming experience.

The publisher didn’t announce any future single-player games, but it did point to its last two years of releases — many of which focus on offline campaigns. It is also launching something it is calling the #SavePlayer1 campaign.

Wow, I forgot about this. Way to call them out on their BS. Have they released a single single-player games since the campaign?
    Scot
    --------------------------------------------
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 1,762
    Scot said:

Anyone remember this?

Wow, I forgot about this. Way to call them out on their BS. Have they released a single single-player games since the campaign?
    Nope.
    Scot

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Scot said:

Anyone remember this?

Nope.
    Pretty obvious the folks at Bethesda have reached the point where they think they're a much better development studio than they actually are.

FO4 was good, but it wasn't good enough for Bethesda to start shoveling this much horse shit and not catch the ire of the gamers.
    KyleranOG_ZorvanTorval

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,444
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:

Yeah, in Fallout Shelter the lunch boxes are indeed loot boxes. I expect they'll work the same in 76.
    To be fair to Bethesda, the lunch boxes in Shelter really were pretty well done, for a micro-transaction type item.

You got them just from playing the game, anyway.  They weren't hard to get without money.  So, even though they were monetized, it wasn't really that big of a deal(unless you had a gambling problem).
    Kyleran
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,051
    Strikes me that for Bethseda this approach provide an easy "regional customisation" approach. If they want to include loot boxes in country X they are loot boxes; country Y treats them as gambling perhaps - lunch boxes! 
    I don't know what is the bigger fool now, the ones who belive on bethesda again, or teh ones who like to be coned like this
    Phry said:
    when was this time you speak of? they never was great
    Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim, the good old days  :/

Yeah bugged and in desperate need of mods, but at the time they were pretty awesome imo. :'(
    Iselind_20