Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asked & Answered: 'No Microtransactions, Of Any Kind, In Our Game' - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAsked & Answered: 'No Microtransactions, Of Any Kind, In Our Game' - MMORPG.com

The Obsidian site has been updated with a brief post from the Outer Worlds team to answer a burning question that devs have been fielding everywhere: Will this upcoming game feature any lootboxes or other microtransactions"? The short answer is simply, "No." The longer answer is, "No microtransactions, of any kind, in our game." That should set a lot of minds at ease.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ScotBananable

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Its a sad state of gaming in general when developer of SINGLE PLAYER RPG , puts "no microtransactions" as major positive at their game.

ThanemrputtsScotAzaron_NightbladeAsm0deusMensur[Deleted User]WaanViper482Aethaerynand 18 others.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Its a sad state of gaming in general when developer of SINGLE PLAYER RPG , puts "no microtransactions" as major positive at their game.

yep, was about to say the same
    [Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Just wait till we are actually closer to launch and then see if his stance still stands or the Corporate hand has come down and forces MT through their throats.

I have heard the "No Micro Transactions" line before time and again, only to be changed last minute before said game's release.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i don't really care if  there are micro transactions as long as it's only cosmetic stuff. and as long as they don't put most of their manpower on that stuff.
    SignexinfomatzOscar1230

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Give it 6 months to a year and we will start seeing microtransactions.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Given how rarely the prefix "Micro-" really applies to cash shops anymore, I'm waiting for the day when a company uses "There's nothing Micro- about our transactions!" as an 'out' for prior claims that there would be no microtransactions in their game.
    ScotWaan
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    flizzer said:
    Give it 6 months to a year and we will start seeing microtransactions.
    It's a single player game. Pillars of Eternity 2 doesn't have microtransactions so why would they add them to TOW?
    ScotKyleranThaharKalebGraysonSignexSovrath[Deleted User]PhryGdemamiTuor7and 2 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited December 2018
    Myria said:
    Given how rarely the prefix "Micro-" really applies to cash shops anymore, I'm waiting for the day when a company uses "There's nothing Micro- about our transactions!" as an 'out' for prior claims that there would be no microtransactions in their game.
    That could happen. Only Macrotransactions in our store! :)
    Phry
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Scot said:

Myria said:

That could happen. Only Macrotransactions in our store! :)

I think those were called "expansions" back in the day.

:)
    ScotUngood[Deleted User]infomatz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    SBFord said:
    It's a single player game.
    Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and Assassins Creed: Odyssey are waving at you.
    ScotKyleran
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    Different company. As @DMKano said -- no other Obsidian single player game has ever had them, so why would they start now?
    Gdemami

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    Different company. As @DMKano said -- no other Obsidian single player game has ever had them, so why would they start now?
    Didn't Microsoft buy Obsidian? Things might change. 
    SignexScotKyleranPhryinfomatzOscar1230
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Single player games should not have cash shops period.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2018
    SBFord said:
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    It's not being published by Microsoft. The game was deep in development when MS bought them and is considered outside that particular deal. It's being published by Private Division, not MS. Read the full article and see the link to the actual publisher. :|
    Kyleran[Deleted User]LokeroPhryMadFrenchieTuor7

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    DMKano said:
    Does any previous Obsidian single player game have microtransactions?

Didn't think so - wonder why this one would be different - but I guess it doesn't hurt that they clarified that.

Depends if you considering the mobile game Pathfinder Adventures a single player game despite having co-op/online features.

Obsidian have been asked a lot about microtransactions lately. I'm not sure why. They aren't a AAA developer, not a publisher, were a mercenaries studio outside of Pillars of Eternity I/II (and now Outer Worlds) and their DNA is old-school RPG.  There is nothing in that scream "will add microtransactions in all my game now"...
    Gdemami
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    but its a damn good step forwards. I hate microtransactions of any kind. You buy the game and thats it or simply pay a monthly subscription. IF however its not doing well with that then halve the pricing of teh monthly subscription, that in itself would draw players to you or at least keep the active players staying active or subscribed.
    Putting in microtransactions is really only there to leech from the fans who are staying, it deters new players and will inadvertantly drive away others.

I dont know what this game has planned, just Buy it (will it have a subscription) or is it just B2P?
    Gdemami
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,514
    I did not have sexual relations with that woman- Bill Clinton.
    Phry

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    It's not being published by Microsoft. The game was deep in development when MS bought them and is considered outside that particular deal. It's being published by Private Division, not MS. Read the full article and see the link to the actual publisher. :|
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my comment was about Obsidian not this game. As in this could be the very last game they'll make that won't have microtransactions. 
    Lokero
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Does that include that you will never use gambling boxes in your game?!
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    JeroKane said:
    Just wait till we are actually closer to launch and then see if his stance still stands or the Corporate hand has come down and forces MT through their throats.

I have heard the "No Micro Transactions" line before time and again, only to be changed last minute before said game's release.
    Nah. . if i is a relatively small game with that limited a time in development it will be DLC :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear - my comment was about Obsidian not this game. As in this could be the very last game they'll make that won't have microtransactions. 
    My understanding is that when MS bought, it was with the clear message that they would be funded to make the games they want.  That . . the One X. . and GamePass are a few ways MS seems to be heading in the right direction.  I can't believe I am saying it.  I Soooooo hope it ends up being true.

I think they are trying to position themselves as the next Google. . Windows 11.. Office, Game Pass etc. . . all a monthly sub?  
    ConstantineMerus

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I'd rather an in-game cash shop and P2W then 3rd party hacks, cheats, and mods that they expect me to pay for.

But kudos for keeping it real with their stand. Sometimes you need to remind people that you don't do that..
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    JeroKane said:

Out of curiousity, which games were those? I would hate to have supported such a game developer. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree but that is what we have come to expect now a days.
    The same goes for hand holding,i fully expect to see markers over npc heads and markers showing destinations in every game now,i can't take devs serious when they don't GET IT.
    What i have noticed however over the past couple years is reading and hearing a lot of devs say it is the investors who want these micro transactions,so it is the greedy lame asses that don't even build the games causing a lot of this nonsense.

There is another side of this to watch for and that SIZE of game.Another tactic i mentioned MANY years ago was a trend where by devs sell you 1/4 or even less of a game then sell you the other half as a dlc or expansion.In other words,selling the same game 2 or 3x,so we will have to wait and watch and see how much of a game they sell us.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

We, the game playing public, are far too concerned about how a company finances itself.  Quality makes profits, not the financial model.  Stating that their game has "no microtransactions" is merely marketing to the paranoia in the current marketplace and not necessarily indicative of what their parent company (Microsoft) will decide to do in the future.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.