Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People are ready for a new, heavily promoted, strong IP, AAA MMO. It's time.

124»

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    The future of MMOs has seemed pretty dire for a while, but I do see one positive thing FINALLY happening when it was clear 15 years ago that it would have been useful - engine reuse and code sharing have the potential to substantially reduce the costs of creating AA MMOs, though AAA companies would probably turn their noses up at the idea.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Cry0 said:
     With that in mind, I personally don't have the time to play MMOs anymore! So what I'd love to see are more quality single player RPGs on the market.
    I have been waiting for the right time to dive into Dragon Quest 11. I think I will after I finish watching The Irresponsible Captain Tylor/Russian Doll S1/The Umbrella Academy S1.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2019
    engine reuse and code sharing have the potential to substantially reduce the costs of creating AA MMOs, though AAA companies would probably turn their noses up at the idea.
    Assuming by "AA" or "AAA" MMO designation you mean budget and/or scale, engine and back end itself represents small part of such project cost and as such would't provide much savings.

What is actually the expensive part is content creation - textures, models, animations, objects, narratated content, art, etc. all the 'shiney'.

Where it does help though is small scale, or specific projects and we can see that already with a dramatic increase in production value of many indy games.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    I can't see any AAA company even trying to make any MMO game. There just isn't enough money in it, even those that cash shop the hell out of them. While the companies themselves have changed too much. Pretty much all of them are only after money, long has gone the times you knew some companies could be trusted to make top quality games.

Maybe that's just my fear, that some awesome MMO could really be made. But the greed would take over and it go completely pay to win. When loot boxes starting appearing in basically all games, even single players. There really isn't much hope left. 

People really need to stop looking at any new MMO as the WoW killer. Just hypes the hell out of them, that game can never live up to such hype and normally crashes sometime later. I got zero idea why people compare all new ones to WoW either. More so when the games can be so different as well.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I was ready for World of Darkness, but whatever.
    Amathe

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited February 2019
    PC MMOs populatiry have waning through the years, even in eastern markets where people are shifting in droves to mobile MMOs. Even WoW is now well below from its peak times.

Basically, only some korean and chinese companies are still investing big bucks in AAA PC MMOs, but it's the mobile market that is making bick bucks in east asia now.

A new high budget PC AAA MMOs in west, made by a western company is a dead cat now. I don't believe that Amazon's New World can have sustainability on the long run, it will have a lot of players trying it driven by paid streamers, but will wane, and a year later it will be a relic from the past.
    iixviiiix
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited February 2019
    Kabulozo said:
    PC MMOs populatiry have waning through the years, even in eastern markets where people are shifting in droves to mobile MMOs. Even WoW is now well below from its peak times.

Basically, only some korean and chinese companies are still investing big bucks in AAA PC MMOs, but it's the mobile market that is making bick bucks in east asia now.

A new high budget PC AAA MMOs in west, made by a western company is a dead cat now. I don't believe that Amazon's New World can have sustainability on the long run, it will have a lot of players trying it driven by paid streamers, but will wane, and a year later it will be a relic from the past.
    And in future , to play MMORPG you need to learn Chinese or Korean . Japanese ? out of question .
    Palebane
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    One of these days, there will be a sequel to Everquest. One of these days. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests