Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any old School MMORPG Players going to play Atlas?

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well a 3 minute game play video will be nice to see,especially if like he says "goes into detail".
    I feel the biggest ting we see is the graphics will be lower than the videos show us.
    For me,what i see ruining this game is pvp,there is NO WAY a small group of friends can compete versus a guild walking around with 50-100 players ravaging the land.PVP always ruins mmo's something devs have not understood to this day.

Pvp works in a arena shooters because that is the only thing expected to do the only reason to play,so everyone is on the same page.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Asheram said:

I know I am going to have to buy a better pc to play this,  :'(
    This video is important because simply adopting,modding an already done game engine is MUCH easier and saves time.However is this just going to be a pvp playground,will there actually be some really good content/event type ideas?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
    they said they got pve server and pvp server so people pick which they like
    craftseeker
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I'm not planning on it, but I've heard that this game sounds like what Sea of Thieves wanted to be.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    edited December 2018
    Can someone explain how the modded worlds fit into the main world? Or are they effectively separate games?
    Post edited by Scot on
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I'm still trying to figure out what an "old school mmorpg player" might be.
    It seems to impart some credibility in regard to being "hardcore", whatever that may be.

The "hardcore" phrase is also kind of humorous as it is impossible for a game to be "hardcore".
    It is like saying, "I played a hardcore game of hopscotch today."

Ya'll gaming nerds... own it already.
    Dibdabs
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited December 2018
    Yeah man! It will be my first survival game, never showed interest in survival games before. But I read about the little things that are already known about Atlas today and I have no other games to play so I'm giving it a try. It intrigued me the whole day, I feel like this comes pretty close to sandbox style full loot MMORPG, perhaps with limited amount of RP. I went looking around what survival games essentially are but it seems like there's no clear definition. Survival games are different one from another as well.
    Is this what survival games are? What sandbox full loot MMO's used to be?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    edited December 2018
    jazz.be said:
    Yeah man! It will be my first survival game, never showed interest in survival games before. But I read about the little things that are already known about Atlas today and I have no other games to play so I'm giving it a try. It intrigued me the whole day, I feel like this comes pretty close to sandbox style full loot MMORPG, perhaps with limited amount of RP. I went looking around what survival games essentially are but it seems like there's no clear definition. Survival games are different one from another as well.
    I recommend you play a modern survival game and see first whether you like the design. 

I'm playing one now and it clearly is different and not necessarily in the good way.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    edited December 2018
    iixviiiix said:
    From what the trailer vid show , it wasn't good enough . Short fun ride , maybe , but not long investment .
    If you go off the trailer, than yeah. If you do some actual research there is plenty of info out there. They are talking about dying of old age, mating, offspring, owning land ect.  Granted it is EA so take it all with a grain of salt, but the direction they want to go is impressive to say the least. Watch the video below as it will save you the headache of having to dig for all the info yourself.

craftseeker
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Kyleran said:
    jazz.be said:
    I recommend you play a modern survival game and see first whether you like the design. 

I'm playing one now and it clearly is different and not necessarily in the good way.

jazz.be said:
    No survival games are much more tedious.  It introduces a ton of elements you might think is fun but really becomes annoying such as starvation or exhaustion.

Even with that the only one I have liked is Conan Exiles.  I recommend you try something that has been released vs a game in early access or it might leave a bad taste.

Sure it's different and it has different elements. But it's kind of in the same spirit right? More similarities than differences? At least this one in specific based on what we know?
    Maybe most other survival games don't support thousands of players online which instantly kills the essential MMO part.

Persistent world
    Economy
    Crafting
    Full loot pvp
    Sandbox (non-themepark)
    Huge world
    Thousands of people online
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    I'm on the fence with this one.  Not a fan of pirate games, but at least there are NPC crew, which means not having to bother with player crew members.  If it's like Eve Online but with sailing ships I might go for it.
    Kyleran
    edited December 2018
    jazz.be said:
    Kyleran said:
    jazz.be said:

jazz.be said:
    No survival games are much more tedious.  It introduces a ton of elements you might think is fun but really becomes annoying such as starvation or exhaustion.

Even with that the only one I have liked is Conan Exiles.  I recommend you try something that has been released vs a game in early access or it might leave a bad taste.

Sure it's different and it has different elements. But it's kind of in the same spirit right? More similarities than differences? At least this one in specific based on what we know?
    Maybe most other survival games don't support thousands of players online which instantly kills the essential MMO part.

Persistent world
    Economy
    Crafting
    Full loot pvp
    Sandbox (non-themepark)
    Huge world
    Thousands of people online
    None of that matters if the survival mechanics are overly onerous to the point of forcing a player to spend too much of their time on tedious,  unfun activities.

In my case, FO76, a "light" survival game is teetering right on edge for me in terms of this; only because I'm a Fallout fan am I really willing to stick with it for now.

Read my poll / thread here on the subject for more insight on the issue I  and others have with it.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/478223/so-survival-games-bleh#latest

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

also what clan you guys going to be if playing?
  • Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I'm going to try it but I'm not getting my hopes up. 
    Dibdabs
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Depends if it will ever get released this year. I think if it has another delay they better just delay till next year and also inform us BEFORE the set date/time runs out
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I'm still trying to figure out what an "old school mmorpg player" might be.
    It seems to impart some credibility in regard to being "hardcore", whatever that may be.

The "hardcore" phrase is also kind of humorous as it is impossible for a game to be "hardcore".
    It is like saying, "I played a hardcore game of hopscotch today."

Ya'll gaming nerds... own it already.
    You never played hardcore hopscotch?

If you messed up you had a kickball thrown at your face at neck breaking speeds.

Anything can be hardcore, it's a step above the norm.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    edited December 2018
    hope to see you all in Atlas
    MadFrenchie
    badermal said:
    Yep, see you in 2025.  Be there or be square.   ;)
    PhryMadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    badermal said:
    If the reviews note it's relatively stable and bug-free (relatively, not purely), I may be jumping in as the game seems to contain a lot of novel and varied content to explore.
    badermal[Deleted User]

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,516
    Nope.. not my flavor.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited December 2018
    badermal said:
    also what clan you guys going to be if playing?
    I'm joining up with Goons or other equivalent mega zerg clan which will be rolling over everyone. 

Screw challenge,  I want to coast.

:D

Ungood[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

badermal said:
    If the reviews note it's relatively stable and bug-free (relatively, not purely), I may be jumping in as the game seems to contain a lot of novel and varied content to explore.
    It does, I'll give it that.  :)
    Ungood said:
    Nope.. not my flavor.
    I don't go for pirate games either, but it's different enough to pique my interest somewhat and it's cheap enough to indulge a whim.  If it keeps me occupied over the Christmas holidays (assuming it comes out!) I will consider it money well spent.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    After looking at the Steam forums and seeing the kind of gamers that are gonna be playing, naw.
    DibdabsJeffSpicoliUngoodanemo
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

@Kyleran so which one it will be? name of the clan
    edited December 2018
    badermal said:
    @Kyleran so which one it will be? name of the clan
     No idea yet, have to wait a bit post launch to join so I can see which clans are dominating. 

Wait, you didn't think I wanted to actually help in taking everything over did you?  

Far too much work, I'll wait until after most of the heavy lifting is done, then jump in at the last minute and take credit like I was there from the beginning.

My momma didn't raise any stupid children.

;)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]AlBQuirky