Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any old School MMORPG Players going to play Atlas?

badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
edited December 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
it be will be very nice to see Old school mmorpg players and people from this forums to  play the new game Atlas so how many of them here going to play? 

+ it is really funny to see that  casuals and  survival games players to semi hardcore to  hardcore mmo players all are both going to play on same boat i dont know how this will be  
but sure one of the group will  surely quit after month or 2 after release either causals or hardcore deponds on the game  if it  more of survival game like rust where we can build huge castle in 20 secs and get progress to highest with  2 weeks then mmo players will quit

if it is really deep mmo then  causals and other who only play  survival games will quit 
so what do you think? hope it will be more of mmo and hardcore gameplay 
ConstantineMerus

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'll be delighted to join up if we get a couple of more people from here. Needless to say that I am not an oldschool player, I am THE oldschool! 
    badermalScotJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No way can i tell if i'll play at this point ,we have not seen nearly enough of the game.
    What do i THINK the game will be like.Man that is again way too tough to call at this point,the marketing video looks great but that is not reliable what so ever.

Now what i do feel will be the case is once in game the graphics will be much lower than what we see in the video.

To describe what the game needs to be like for me to play would take 50 paragraphs,so i'll just say that i can tell VERY quickly into a game if it is done AAA or cheap and fast.To sum it up simple,linear questing and terrible combat/aggro design will be a hell no not playing.
    badermalpsychosiz1Signexcraftseeker

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I will say they did a great job at peaking our interest,so we will definitely be watching and paying attention to further videos.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited December 2018
    it is better to wait and see some gameplay first 
    but it will be cool to see some old school mmo players playing

ConstantineMeruspsychosiz1
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    From what the trailer vid show , it wasn't good enough . Short fun ride , maybe , but not long investment .
    Dibdabs
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    I'll give it a try in 2 or 3 years after they finally resolve most of the performance issues and bugs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

@iixviiiix why you say it  not long investment? 
    @Kyleran lol really 2-3 years you joking? cause it needs time to get better but not that long just 1 or 2 months like ARK lol
    psychosiz1
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    I'll be delighted to join up if we get a couple of more people from here. Needless to say that I am not an oldschool player, I am THE oldschool! 
    So long as it's not a stability or performance mess, I'll join you.  I don't promise until I can see it in the wild!

But yeah, if it lives up to the hype video (at least mostly, I don't expect it to be bug-free), I'm down to sail the high seas in search of, just, like, so much booty.
    ConstantineMerus

badermal said:
    @Kyleran lol really 2-3 years you joking? cause it needs time to get better but not that long just 1 or 2 months like ARK lol
    I wasn't aware ARK had resolved all it's optimization issues.  That would certainly put the issue into the "multiple years" range.

That's the biggest red flag for this project for me.  ARK was criticized for having pretty horrid optimization and performance, and Atlas is supposedly using that same engine to build a bigger game.
    Kyleranpsychosiz1Signex

alright but still it was their first game though and now ARK is highly postive game on steam so this is their 2nd game so hope they have some experince in making this mmo but there is chance to have bug need to wait and see

but i dont understand this why he said its   Short fun ride , maybe , but not long investment . 
    not sure what it means but this is MMO so it wont be short though

psychosiz1
  • JownzJownz Member UncommonPosts: 62
    The great wide sea is easier to render. Also improvements to the Unreal engine are in place already. I'm sure it will be full of bugs but the performance should be better then ark.
    Kyleran
    badermal said:
    alright but still it was their first game though and now ARK is highly postive game on steam so this is their 2nd game so hope they have some experince in making this mmo but there is chance to have bug need to wait and see

but i dont understand this why he said its   Short fun ride , maybe , but not long investment . 

They set records for being in never ending early access, also one of the first to sell an expansion before formerly launching the game.

Even today I read reports of poor performance in ARK when the player numbers get upwards of 200, so I'll be surprised if they ever can pull off thousands.

Good performance is designed in from the very beginning, (see CU) not something that can be added later unless you do a large revamp like the devs did over at Robert's Industries on SC this year. 

You said a good MMO is a long term experience, to which I'll agree.  I joined DAOC a year or so post launch and played about 4 years.  I joined EVE three years in and played about 10 years.

Contrast that with maybe 10 MMOS I joined at launch, most lasting a month or so, with WOW being the sole exception. (18 months)

I like playing "complete" and well polished games, and don't deal well with rapid changes or unpredictability. I suspect ESO would not have been a "one and done" had I waited a year or so post launch.

So yeah, I'll wait on this one, especially as I can't see any title associated with Snail games as being something I will enjoy.

Good luck to you though, seems to be closer to what you long have been seeking, be sure to let us know how it goes or if the search for SB 2 will continue. 

I'll be playing on the new DAOC freeshard in January, along with FO 76 (which has aptly filled my capacity for issue prone new games) and I have to get back to NMS eventually.

B)

psychosiz1AlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    Will have a look in the New Year after we have seen some reviews.
    Lokero
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    For the moment, no. Once the game is finished and if they manage to implement the features they are advertising, then maybe? but i seriously doubt they can put in many of the advertised features and i am more than dubious of their projected claims for the capabilities of the game to support high numbers of players, i suspect that player numbers will be limited to less than 100, perhaps even as low as 50. They have a history of not delivering so i'd treat all claims with caution. :/
    Jownz said:
    The great wide sea is easier to render. Also improvements to the Unreal engine are in place already. I'm sure it will be full of bugs but the performance should be better then ark.
    Perhaps,  but I keep reading they plan to ramp the player numbers way up "some day" but initially are launching with 200-400 per server.

That is entirely "bas-ackward" from how I think it must be done.  Mark Jacob's created an entirely new engine and has regularly demonstrated in testing as many as 1500 on screen since the first year.

Which was 5 years ago, and Mark has been very transparent at the tradeoffs and limitations his decision has resulted in.

So we are now to believe a team with no evidence of being capable of truly optimizing their software will somehow pull it off using a stock engine which while very pretty,  has not been selected for large scale MMORPG development by many of note, at least not in recent years.

Time will tell and I'll wait and see before buying in.
    Phry

Kyleran said:
    badermal said:

They set records for being in never ending early access, also one of the first to sell an expansion before formerly launching the game.

Even today I read reports of poor performance in ARK when the player numbers get upwards of 200, so I'll be surprised if they ever can pull off thousands.

Good performance is designed in from the very beginning, (see CU) not something that can be added later unless you do a large revamp like the devs did over at Robert's Industries on SC this year. 

You said a good MMO is a long term experience, to which I'll agree.  I joined DAOC a year or so post launch and played about 4 years.  I joined EVE three years in and played about 10 years.

Contrast that with maybe 10 MMOS I joined at launch, most lasting a month or so, with WOW being the sole exception. (18 months)

I like playing "complete" and well polished games, and don't deal well with rapid changes or unpredictability. I suspect ESO would not have been a "one and done" had I waited a year or so post launch.

So yeah, I'll wait on this one, especially as I can't see any title associated with Snail games as being something I will enjoy.

Good luck to you though, seems to be closer to what you long have been seeking, be sure to let us know how it goes or if the search for SB 2 will continue. 

I'll be playing on the new DAOC freeshard in January, along with FO 76 (which has aptly filled my capacity for issue prone new games) and I have to get back to NMS eventually.

B)

Is that the one that launched beta, Phoenix?  I dropped it because it was in beta.  The DAoC freeshard, I mean

Kyleran said:
    badermal said:

B)

Is that the one that launched beta, Phoenix?  I dropped it because it was in beta.  The DAoC freeshard, I mean
    Launches officially in January
    MadFrenchie

edited December 2018
    @kyleran yes will be another search for SB2 if this doesnt do well lol and  DAOC free shard will have better graphics?  or it same ? and lol you complaning bugs and lags of other game  while playing fallout 76? nice try there 
    edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    badermal said:

B)

Launches officially in January
    I think you'll enjoy it.  I did for the time I tried it during beta.  It really does encourage the guild and group Dynamics, possibly even more than original DAoC, but seems to do by revitalizing the group and camp bonuses and how they apply instead of creating ridiculous regen rates or modifying the classes to be able to fill any role/not need any other role for any content before endgame or specific dungeons.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    I would really have to see if the players are able to form crews for the ships instead of making it a mass carnage.

I mean, today's gamers want to find every possible way to mess up other players' game time. They are not known of their skills in co-operative or group play. And even if they were, what happens if my ship's sailmaster or first mate has to go after a two hours long voyage at the sea?

Don't get me wrong, i really, really would love to see games like this that require grouping up and working together, but i'm not sure if this kind of gameplay can be achieved in massively multiplayer and public game like Atlas.
    edited December 2018
    badermal said:
    Because the game don't feel like it able to keep player around for longer than 2 months , and for an MMORPG it kind of short term fun .

While stuffs look cool and epic on trailer , i don't think player will able to keep play this for long time .
    edited December 2018
    how though? cause there is no features or anything listed we dont even know how the game will be   and how long it lasts

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    deniter said:

And even if they were, what happens if my ship's sailmaster or first mate has to go after a two hours long voyage at the sea?
    Well, we know for certain that you can hire NPC crew members to fill in.  Of course, that leaves the question of, "How useful are they?"

Plus, can they spawn right on your ship? Or, are you going to be sailing handicapped until you hit port to hire them?

Puzzle Pirates had an automated replacement system that worked well.  Once you got below a certain number of player crew, it automatically spawned NPCs to man stations/fight, etc..
    Hopefully, the Atlas devs are smart enough to do something like that, at the very least.

Will they have some type of teleport-to-ship system for bringing in players when you are far out?  These are some pretty important questions for a game like this.
    badermal said:
    how though? cause there is no features or anything listed we dont even know how the game will be   and how long it lasts

Truth me , when developer put out things like this , normally it will be just short term fun . So don't let your hype high , keep it low haha .

Just hope that it don't turn out to be a mess like most stuffs that release early .
    Kyleran
    alright lol and yes like Kyleran said  hope they wont make me to continue my search for SB2 doing it since  September 2016 need a break  lol