Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMORPGs with decent population?

JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
Outside of WoW, are there any games with decent population?  Earlier in the year I played SWTOR and Secret World Legends.  Both are fine as single player games.  At this point, it is not even about the massive, just multiplayer would be fine.  A reason to group up and do group content. 

I have a feeling I will need to wait for Camelot Unchained or Ashes of Creation for a decent contemporary attempt at an MMORPG.  Those might be another 1-2 years so trying to fill the void :(

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Quite a few games with larger populations, but those requiring you to group up to do content, not so much.

You can decide to group up in most any game, FO76 has people grouping in it all of the time, but certainly is optional,  same for most MMOs I've found, even EVE.

delete5230d_20

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    GW2. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    ESO has BILLIONS of peepz playing and E Z to get dungeon groups and pvp groups.  ESO is FUN!

Sz  :)
    YashaXScotNoxiasd_20
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Kyleran said:
    Quite a few games with larger populations, but those requiring you to group up to do content, not so much.

You can decide to group up in most any game, FO76 has people grouping in it all of the time, but certainly is optional,  same for most MMOs I've found, even EVE.

You went there.
    KyleranPhryAsm0deuskitaradNoxias
    Chamber of Chains
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Way behind the curve on Eve.  Tried it many years ago and gave up.  I didn't like GW2 when it was released.  Maybe it is worth giving it another chance. 

I haven't tried ESO yet.  I have been tempted, but since they abandoned subscription early on, I have been hesitant to try it. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    ESO has a large population, FFXIV has a large population, Runescape has a large population, hell even FFXI has a decent sized one on Asura. 

Quite a few MMORPG's have at least a decent population, it's just dependent on what you want to do. 
    YashaXPhryNoxiasd_20
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I have to echo the thoughts of some of the above posters: there are quite a few mmos with decent populations and that offer content that requires grouping. ESO, GW2, BDO, FF14 - even games like NWO, Tera, and DDO had lots of people running around last time i popped my head in to check them out.

However, I don't know of any modern mmos that REQUIRE you to group for overland content. Just thought I'd mention that because some people on these forums seem to be looking for an mmo that requires grouping for all activities, whereas pretty much all mmos these days provide an avenue for players to enjoy the gameworld by themselves (either because their guildies are offline, or they just don't feel like grouping for whatever reason).

Kylerand_20
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Amathe said:
    GW2. 
    Yes, still very busy... 
    and allways lots of people around innall zones from level 1 to 80 and even in previous expansion and living story zones..

YashaXd_20

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Amathe said:
    GW2. 
    Yes, still very busy... 
    and allways lots of people around innall zones from level 1 to 80 and even in previous expansion and living story zones..

Mega servers....

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    GW2. 
    Yes, still very busy... 

Mega servers....
    Nothing wroong with that...
    in my opinion...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Vanguard EMU has 3 people playing

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    GW2. 
    Yes, still very busy... 

Mega servers....
    in my opinion...

There's a couple in my book, but then I'm used to a single "mega server" in EVE so there's that. 

My point was GW2 could be down to a couple thousand players and you would never know...or perhaps care I guess.
    YashaX

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    GW2. 
    Yes, still very busy... 

Mega servers....
    in my opinion...

There's a couple in my book, but then I'm used to a single "mega server" in EVE so there's that. 

My point was GW2 could be down to a couple thousand players and you would never know...or perhaps care I guess.

lets say under 100k would not be noticable

butbi can asure you the population is still very healthy as indicated by the monthly figures..
    and due to the fact that level 1 to 80 and all pre expansion areas are free to play, still many new people keep finding their way to the game...

its also a fact that the living story updates keep people returning to the game..
    the updates are huge, and reason enough for people to return even if not playing daily

in my book, they nailed the pay to play system...
    which is still paying off for them..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    GW2. 
    Yes, still very busy... 

Mega servers....
    in my opinion...

It's not though.. because the trading post would be very different if only a few thousand were playing so you would know.

Hell, there's more than a few thousand players just farming logs in Malchor's Leap most of the time lol. Every zone is populated almost all the time, most zones have multiple instances almost all the time and there are a hell of a lot of zones.

Analytics experts reckon it's between 1.5 to 3 million active monthly users with larger spikes when there are content updates.

Personally, I see a large influx of new players constantly and not just in the free-to-play areas. Plus, there's always tons of people working on certain achievements that prove they are new. Since all achievements are account wide you know it's not just someone playing a new character.

Healthy game. I'm glad I started playing it again.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    YashaX
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I'm playing Ark Survival Evolved cause my player character can POOP.  The more people in this game the laggyier it runs.  If you pvp you might get (pressured) into a guild (tribe) that really relies on coop.  Very player-interacting-with-player-matters social in that aspect.  On pve servers it's a test of will to be friendly to each other as you all feel like fighting when you want to greed and dominate the landscapes.  Nice people really shine in this environ because stiff learning curb makes helping others a big deal.  Ark has to many players atm.

Before Ark I was playing Elder Scrolls Online.  It had a large pop.  But it's so solo content friendly that you could just ignore everyone; as in pushing main quest feels like game is forcing you to be solo.  Grouping feels to much like work in ESO but there are lots of players to chat with.  My fav part was passing vampirism to the next gen of newbs - FOR FREE - cause vamp disease/curse contagion has never been done in an mmorpg.  I was hoping for it.

My wish list for mmorpgs:

* Pet game with poop (got it in ark).
    * Being the dragon not riding it (has never been done in any game single or mmo).
    * Vampire game with head vamps passing contagion to other players making them part of their kiss (never been done but part in eso; i want it flushed out more).
    * Werewolf game same (in eso but i want it flushed out more).

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    My wish list for mmorpgs:

* Pet game with poop (got it in ark).
    * Being the dragon not riding it (has never been done in any game single or mmo).
    * Vampire game with head vamps passing contagion to other players making them part of their kiss (never been done but part in eso; i want it flushed out more).
    * Werewolf game same (in eso but i want it flushed out more).

There actually has been at least two games(that I can think of) that let you play as a dragon.
    The most popular, of course, was (if I can remember the original name) Horizons of Istaria.  It was an older MMO -- early 2000s, I believe.
    I think it still exists in some form or fashion -- perhaps an emulator.  I think it just goes by Istaria now.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Ill repeat what most have said. Your main choices besides WoW are GW2, ESO, FFXIV, BDO. All have constantly high population. You cant go wrong with either GW2, ESO or FF14(supposedly)
    YashaX
  • xflippedxxflippedx Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Wedlen said:
    Ill repeat what most have said. Your main choices besides WoW are GW2, ESO, FFXIV, BDO. All have constantly high population. You cant go wrong with either GW2, ESO or FF14(supposedly)
    I agree with your picks. I enjoyed the hell out of BDO before the "pay to speed gearing up and increase enhancement success" factor hit me, and I can only imagine what some of the people at the top of the game must do to be the best. The game is very competitive and progression in it gives a much different feeling than WoW and MMO's that share WoW's formula.

I maybe put 100 hours into GW2 and another 100 into ESO, but personally, neither left me wanting more or gave me the cemented feeling of "home" like WoW did for me. Maybe someone here can give their positive experience on both games to show what there is to look forward to.

My love for BDO is a mixed bag of feelings that leaves me sour. I played on and off for 2-3 months at a time and enjoyed planning out my family of characters, but the grind started to not feel worth it. At first, I would play long sessions where I got all my characters up to level 56-58 for the passive income. I enjoyed hiring my workers and seeing materials they gathered start to pile up in my bank. Exploring the world and talking to NPCs to unlock more points to hire more workers was ok, but plain. After my first few months of playing this game as much as I could, things started slowing down and I would only log on to do my 1 hour of double EXP grinding, then go AFK and put the game in my system tray to let my workers make me money while I play something else. There were also days where I'd grind with my guild for a few hours or show up somewhere to help defend a grinding spot for a guildmate. World bosses were my favorite activity to be a part of. The game has unique mechanics and is done well overall.. and I think a lot of people are disappointed that it's ruined by its cash shop and gear enhancement RNG which can make you feel extreme joy and disappointment. You won't find too much variety group content outside of its centerpiece, Guild vs. Guild siege, and gearing up for that so you don't get one-shot by the whales and veterans of other guilds will require a couple months of planning your worker empire/grinding mobs for hours. The feeling of joining the elites in this game is what personally drove me to want to be better. I enjoyed my time in a guild that fought for control of a smaller node and even got motivated to grind to 60 in half a month to help out in siege as much as I was able to. However, you can find casual and social guilds you can join. Also, I feel like I learned early on which guilds are the most competitive because of how guild crests are plastered on each city and how much trash talk you see going on in chat on siege days. The elitism really shows in the community and the toxicity can get bad.   

I've put over 1600 hours into FFXIV and.. am biased. It has felt like my MMO home for the past 2 and a half years and I highly recommend it. The group content is great and the community is the best I've ran into in an MMO. I get excited to come home after my day to play and be a part of the world. It's also been said to have one of the better stories if that's your thing. You'll probably think the combat is very slow-paced in the beginning because the GCD is longer than WoW's and your rotations don't get complex until later. That's one of the biggest complaints new players have but it's going to be worked on in the upcoming expansion. But when you get to end-game content, the methodical thinking required to get through boss fights will be enough to overwhelm you. Pulling off your rotation while dancing through boss mechanics requires a lot of attentiveness. You only need 1 character in this game and can switch between any class whenever you want to outside of combat or instances. If you try FFXIV in the future, join a guild ASAP and make friends. FFXIV caters to social aspects of MMOs very well. Every instance in the game has replayability because of its item-level lock that brings your level and gearscore down to the cap of whatever dungeon you're queued up for. You can also run dungeons uncapped if you wish to. There's so much in this game that I can talk about with enthusiasm. There's a new expansion coming out next year so now is the perfect time to get in an catch up. Or just wait for the expansion and buy a story-skip and level boost from the optional items store. But I feel there's a lot to experience in your time spent leveling.
    Post edited by xflippedx on
    Kylerancheyane
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I hate cash shops.

So when I realised that the BDO cash shop purchases were not account wide, I dumped the game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I figured out why the slow demise of a genre that was going through the roof back in 2003+.
    Every player in the mmorpg's started to move from community based gaming into SOLOING.
    Then even today i see people asking "high population"yet all they do is solo until they want something for themselves then it is like "someone help me".
    So the big picture is that you can't take a genre designed to have a large community and segregate it into thousands of individual solo players,it doesn't work,it becomes a non online game, a single player game,with occasional co-op.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    The good news, 
    At least 5 

The bad news, 
    Why group?... the content is too easy by anyone's standards 
  • MajmMajm Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Wizardry said:
    I figured out why the slow demise of a genre that was going through the roof back in 2003+.
    Every player in the mmorpg's started to move from community based gaming into SOLOING.
    Then even today i see people asking "high population"yet all they do is solo until they want something for themselves then it is like "someone help me".
    So the big picture is that you can't take a genre designed to have a large community and segregate it into thousands of individual solo players,it doesn't work,it becomes a non online game, a single player game,with occasional co-op.

I think ESO shows, that something similar to that kind of game can actually work. And if I am asking for population or wanting to join a high population game instead a low population game, its because i want to get an idea of the health of the game. and if it is likely to be filled with more content over a span of maybe several years when I plan to dedicate a lot of time to this game. 

I personally like to play solo from time to time when i get back home from work or just want to relax a bit. But I also love group play when I am in the mood. 

What i want to say is: Everyone got different approaches on different mechanics, and to say that something is "wrong" because u feel like this....that is wrong in my eyes. A solo player who is paying 15 bucks a month on wow is not worth less when it comes to his fun, than u and ur fun.

Greetings
    Lokero
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited December 2018
    In addition to the games mentioned above, Warframe  (notan MMORPG, though) has a pretty friendly community for grouping up. It's lobby based mostly, though they've been adding more open world stuff and their are social hubs.
    VengeSunsoar

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    FFXIV is a good game and it has a healthy population. ESO too. WoW I gave up my last attempt but it has a healthy population. GW 2 too. I liked BDO but I played it solo with my plants, horses, workers, fishes and wagons so I cannot really comment on the population.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Majm said:
    Wizardry said:

I think ESO shows, that something similar to that kind of game can actually work. And if I am asking for population or wanting to join a high population game instead a low population game, its because i want to get an idea of the health of the game. and if it is likely to be filled with more content over a span of maybe several years when I plan to dedicate a lot of time to this game. 

I personally like to play solo from time to time when i get back home from work or just want to relax a bit. But I also love group play when I am in the mood. 

What i want to say is: Everyone got different approaches on different mechanics, and to say that something is "wrong" because u feel like this....that is wrong in my eyes. A solo player who is paying 15 bucks a month on wow is not worth less when it comes to his fun, than u and ur fun.

Greetings
    I always look at a game's population as my first step.  A dead game is not worth investing time.

As far as soloing goes, no matter how against soloing people are, almost everyone does it in one way or another.  Whether it is harvesting, fishing, crafting, farming, XP'ing while waiting for a group, finishing some kind of story junk, whatever, everyone is going to be soloing for some reason or another, from time to time.
    It's simply not plausible to be grouped all the time in any game, unless you only log on when a group of friends logs on at the same time.

I've yet to see even group-centric games actually make a game where people are truly dependent on one another in such a tightly coupled way.

TL:DR - the genre has always had a fairly heavy solo side.  People always did pretty much everything other than XP grinding solo.  The only thing that has really changed in any significant way is that they've made the average enemies much, much easier to plow through.  So, now, combat is also more soloable.