Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmorpgs should have a lifetime of content.

2»

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2018
    If MMORPGs have lifetime content then all video games have lifetime content.

What I mean is, once you do all content in an MMORPG all you have left is repeating the same things over and over until a new expansion releases with new content. That is no different from replaying any offline game over and over until a new expansion releases with new content.

I hope repeatable content doesn't become the pillar design of mmos. That is just a time wasting feature while new content is developed, and it should stay that way IMO.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    No one wants that.
    Look at WoW. The levels have doubled since Vanilla release but in order to keep players leveling, they have had to shorten the time to level to match.

One thing that WOTLK proved in WoW because of the DK, was that all vanilla content was made irrelevant. Games are as good as their most current expansion.
    Hawkaya399
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

What I mean is, once you do all content in an MMORPG all you have left is repeating the same things over and over until a new expansion releases with new content. That is no different from replaying any offline game over and over until a new expansion releases with new content.

I hope repeatable content doesn't become the pillar design of mmos. That is just a time wasting feature while new content is developed, and it should stay that way IMO.
    This is a good jumping in point, 
    If a game is huge and takes say 8 months of playing few days a week and putting hours into each time.  Mix this with going from 1-60 and not even completing half the quest.  Then mix this with an opposed faction and all their content.  Then mix that with several unique classes that don't play like the other ones at all.  Mix that with diverse players changing how you look at content from their perspective…… You will get a life times worth of content.  

Sure, at time you would get sick of it and say no more, but a year down the road you find yourself playing it again.  You may not !!!!…. But the full potential is their :)
    RexKushman
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    MMORPGs do have a lifetime worth of content.  The content always lasts for the lifetime of the MMORPG.  What, you want it to last your lifetime?
    KyleranAsheramPhrylaxie
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    All games eventually come to an end, but one with one of the longest content curve is EVE, which the OP won't play.  I think if one took a single character and attempted to train every skill without using any skill injectors it's well over 30 years, should keep the OP busy I would think.

Video games are funny things, we tire of them eventually, sometimes after a short time, on rare occasion it can go many years, but eventually most of us stop playing for one reason or another.

Contrast that with golf, a game my father (and many others) can play their entire lifetime, yet they never seem to tire of it, even after their physical skills erode and they can no longer play it with the skill they had in their youth.

I suspect it's because there's more to enjoying golf than the actual gameplay itself, but video games don't seem to have similar secondary draws, not sure why.

gervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    What you call a lifetime of content I call endlessly repeating the same content.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Kyleran said:
    All games eventually come to an end, but one with one of the longest content curve is EVE, which the OP won't play.  I think if one took a single character and attempted to train every skill without using any skill injectors it's well over 30 years, should keep the OP busy I would think.

Video games are funny things, we tire of them eventually, sometimes after a short time, on rare occasion it can go many years, but eventually most of us stop playing for one reason or another.

Contrast that with golf, a game my father (and many others) can play their entire lifetime, yet they never seem to tire of it, even after their physical skills erode and they can no longer play it with the skill they had in their youth.

I suspect it's because there's more to enjoying golf than the actual gameplay itself, but video games don't seem to have similar secondary draws, not sure why.

I had a funny notion as I thought back on why I often quit many MMO's, and I could not help but think that maybe they still enjoy a game of golf because some dev does not randomly come along and nerf their favorite golf club.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

I had a funny notion as I thought back on why I often quit many MMO's, and I could not help but think that maybe they still enjoy a game of golf because some dev does not randomly come along and nerf their favorite golf club.
    Well, they do come around with that hole replacement tool and move the hole around on the green.  One day the hole is over here, the next it's over their.... Next thing you know everyone golfs someplace else. 

Renting a gold cart is play-to-win 
    Kyleran
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605

I think that really mean they must provide frequent new content and expansion.  And enough content that people don't get bored of it.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    @Amathe I hear you.
    In Asheron's Call, the game indeed seemed "infinite"... but that only because the developers patched in content every single month. And by content, I don't mean a few world quests like today, but full arcs of the story line with a tons of additions, quests, crafting, exploration. And trust me, the content was way harder than anything we get nowadays, it took several months for the whole player community to figure out all the details of the Aerfalle quest line.

A game that has "lifetime" content the day of its release never existed. Once again, the OP is making of the "old school" games (including WoW vanilla, let's admit it was old school) something they were not. The games and specially WoW and EQ still exist only because of the constant changes and content additions they had. And you all know that WoW is one of my favorite games.
    Winner, AC had more content than any other game I have ever seen, not to mention, its mob/fellowship hunting was better as well, and an event on its own.  I spent months literally, 5-8 hours a day just killing stuff for loot.  I think it was the RNG that made the content seem so great
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

Well, they do come around with that hole replacement tool and move the hole around on the green.  One day the hole is over here, the next it's over their.... Next thing you know everyone golfs someplace else. 

Renting a gold cart is play-to-win 
    Golf is definitely one of the original P2W games.

B)
    anemo

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Wizardry said:
    To achieve lifetime would mean the developer has to supply new content forever.
    Why yes. Thats the idea of MMOs. You have to keep paying for them, the devs have to keep adding new stuff. Thats pretty much the whole contract.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:
    Golf is definitely one of the original P2W games.

B)
    If that were true I would have a closet full of green jackets.
    [Deleted User]Phaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited December 2018
    Unlike OP, which seem to harp on games having more 'content', I think games ought to have better game mechancis:

I was thinking of Civ 5 the other day and how I thought Civ 5 seems inadequate. I've been playing Civ 5 many, many times, however as time go by I think they could have done better, or, I crave more from a computer game.

The nice thing about Civ5 imo, is the notion of actually building your empire. City placement is one of the basic and simple options that makes the game have you build something real in a sense, as in non-scripted, however.. despite the clever design of how one progress, I think that ultimately, a game, and other games, lack an important quality to the game mechanics:

Uniqueness

I think a challenge for game devs is to try have their games offer to the player a sense of uniqueness to their players WHEN the players build or perhaps progress through the game.

I imagined myself being a player, maybe a solo player game, or not, playing a game set to medieval times, or having medieval times as a theme, and I was thinking that despite the game mechanics (assuming ofc they aren't terrible) ends up being limited, I think if the player can be given the opportunity to create something UNIQUE, then that by itself would be very interesting I think, and I imagined a landscape that was unique, and then you built a society IN the landscape and IN the terrain (like any first person game worlds), building roads, houses and such.

THEN, even if things aren't going in your favor as you play (assuming that the game isn't relying on you conquering all the time, like Stellaris, which I don't like because it removes micro management of the world after some time into the gameplay), and even if things seems bleak, then maybe that uniqueness in your world, the landscape and what you made out of it, will want YOU to spur on regardless, instead of reloading a game of Civ 5, if you enter some ruins and just ends up revealing a part of the map as opposed to getting some other reward.

So my problem with a game like Civ 5, is that, the gameplay is too transparent, and too repetitive still, and like movies and games these days, creators doesn't seem to care at all about immersion into the game world, and such things tend to be just a visual spectacle without deeper meaning, and I think that sucks.