Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse to Launch Open Beta on December 18th for Windows PC

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited December 2018
    jarsku85 said:

Alomar said:

Gross, not the mmo promised the kickstarted funds were raised for. Here we go SC 2.0

I think you just read first line :)
    https://i.imgur.com/fwDeOLy.jpg
    I think you are a great candidate to buy a bridge or two from me, care to make a deal?

;)

Seriously,  it went from a testing tool to a free standing game which plans to have regular "expansions" of content "post launch."

Testing tools don't "launch" nor do companies sell them to their customers. They also don't have post launch content.

From an article on MassivelyOP, the official press release.

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, a new competitive and cooperative multiplayer game linked directly to the world of Ashes of Creation, will launch in open beta for free on Dec. 18 for Windows PC. Pitting 100s of players at a time against each other in a massive world of high fantasy and all-out warfare, Ashes of Creation Apocalypse builds upon and refines many of the core systems at the heart of Ashes of Creationwhile letting players experience its stunning action and visuals right away. Ashes of Creation Apocalypse delivers a self-contained, standalone experience for fans of competitive action, combat, and chaos. The game will launch with a full-fledged battle royale mode in which 100 players will duke it out with destructive weapons and magic until the last person is left standing. After release, new unique modes will be introduced, letting 200 players join forces in massive castle siege battles, as well as co-op horde mode missions in which small groups must fight off ravenous hordes of vicious demons.”

https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/06/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-the-kickstarted-mmorpgs-battle-royale-mode-launches-december-18/

"Battling BS since 2006."

Slapshot1188[Deleted User]JamesGoblintweedledumb99kitaradMadFrenchieVrika

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2018

jarsku85 said:

Alomar said:

Gross, not the mmo promised the kickstarted funds were raised for. Here we go SC 2.0

Don't waste your breath, these tubes will see what they want to see, not what the piece actually says.. Ignore them, they go away eventually.
    We see what is actually there, we took our blinders off to corporate BS a very long time ago.

We'll be here long after the music stops....

Slapshot1188JamesGoblintweedledumb99Kajidourden

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tinnistinnis Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited December 2018
    Monetisation talks here at 34 minutes - a shop and purchase a '''legendary season pass" to earn cossmetics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY6HW-tcVG8&feature=youtu.be&t=00h33m55s

or auto text of stream. that was at about 34m

https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vTfGdMUgfs7FWN7WW62rlvpfFA4ZJUeBiouPv-skVgqmSmn80Psdzjf3QpSRglI1NujhnWDzhTVkk4B/pub
    JamesGoblintweedledumb99
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    On my birthday, how wonderful! :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Kyleran said:
    jarsku85 said:

Alomar said:

I think you are a great candidate to buy a bridge or two from me, care to make a deal?

;)

Seriously,  it went from a testing tool to a free standing game which plans to have regular "expansions" of content "post launch."

Testing tools don't "launch" nor do companies sell them to their customers. They also don't have post launch content.

From an article on MassivelyOP, the official press release.

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, a new competitive and cooperative multiplayer game linked directly to the world of Ashes of Creation, will launch in open beta for free on Dec. 18 for Windows PC. Pitting 100s of players at a time against each other in a massive world of high fantasy and all-out warfare, Ashes of Creation Apocalypse builds upon and refines many of the core systems at the heart of Ashes of Creationwhile letting players experience its stunning action and visuals right away. Ashes of Creation Apocalypse delivers a self-contained, standalone experience for fans of competitive action, combat, and chaos. The game will launch with a full-fledged battle royale mode in which 100 players will duke it out with destructive weapons and magic until the last person is left standing. After release, new unique modes will be introduced, letting 200 players join forces in massive castle siege battles, as well as co-op horde mode missions in which small groups must fight off ravenous hordes of vicious demons.”

https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/06/ashes-of-creation-apocalypse-the-kickstarted-mmorpgs-battle-royale-mode-launches-december-18/

"Battling BS since 2006."

I think you should put your Harbinger title back in your signature.  Welcome back.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    this reminds me of everquest next.. which utterly failed.

The question remains: "will the true MMMORPG ever get released.
    JamesGoblinSlapshot1188Wellspring
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    For a moment I was all "Oh wow, Open beta for AoC?! That's ridiculously FAST for an Indie MMO!" and then I remembered this is the battle royal spin-off... Hello Disappointment, my old friend.

I hope it works out as planned even though I'll give it a complete pass myself. I have zero interest in that type of gameplay.
    [Deleted User]VitaminK

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Ashes of Creation Post Live Stream Discord Q & A Explaining overlay of apocalypse to the MMO Open beta December 18
    Poison_Girl
    Just listen to the first 2 minutes when he talks about how the sub for ASHES will be separate from this BattleRoyale and it will have its own team making assets for it....

Then a bit later he talks about “rising to the occasion” with this increased monetization to defray their testing costs which only exists because of how awesome they are.

RIP ASHES original concept

TehTicJamesGoblin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Poison_GirlPoison_Girl Member UncommonPosts: 34

TehTic said:

Ashes of Creation Post Live Stream Discord Q & A Explaining overlay of apocalypse to the MMO Open beta December 18

Thanks a lot for posting this video!
  • TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36

Just listen to the first 2 minutes when he talks about how the sub for ASHES will be separate from this BattleRoyale and it will have its own team making assets for it....

Then a bit later he talks about “rising to the occasion” with this increased monetization to defray their testing costs which only exists because of how awesome they are.

It seems that you did not listen to the same video I did.
    KyleranSlapshot1188
    edited December 2018
    There's a subtle sense of irony I think having the Discord Q & 'A' begin with a burning red rimmed "circle."

:D

TehTic said:

It seems that you did not listen to the same video I did.
    I think you heard what you wanted to hear and not what he said.  Steven is pretty good at using the Jedi Mind Trick on some folks...

Kyleran

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    If I had backed the KickStarter for more than the $25 tier, I'd be pissed. Now, I just feel bad for everyone who's getting screwed by the BR bait and switch. It's a shame consumers have no power when it comes to crowdfunding.
    --------------------------------------------
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    If I had backed the KickStarter for more than the $25 tier, I'd be pissed. Now, I just feel bad for everyone who's getting screwed by the BR bait and switch. It's a shame consumers have no power when it comes to crowdfunding.
    It's a shame that many consumers have been convinced the Saints of Crowdfunding will definitely save gaming, so long as there are folks willing to throw money at them for as long as they ask for it to develop the "savior."

• slashuserslashuser Member CommonPosts: 5
    Kyleran said:

As long as they get some feedback for the MMO from this and then ditch it after a month or 2 its fine.

If they will actually update this, it will only grow my disappointment in them

It's pretty clear from how much effort they've invested in their web page on Apocalypse, billed as a standalone game with plans to deliver a whole lot more isn't a one and done.

https://apocalypse.ashesofcreation.com

Only thing left now is how they monetize it, F2P with cash shop as I betting, with purchases here counting towards something in the MMORPG.

Stephen is probably the slickest of all these slick willy dev leads, starting to surpass the master, C.R. who he is clearly taking queues from.

He's just reversed the order, SC had a single player game first, which is the base to test systems for the MMORPG. In Ashes, the MMORPG came first, but has spawned a free standing BR game..."to test the systems"

Good thing most gamers are too savvy to fall for such sleight of hand tricks, right?

:#
    It is only a matter of time before it come p2w. There is too much money to be made from it.
    Kyleran
  • slashuserslashuser Member CommonPosts: 5
    Phry said:
    Maybe it would be worth waiting to see how the MMO turns out, zero interest in the game as a B.R though, its a different genre altogether, well the animations are still rough but as its in Beta still that is perhaps only to be expected. There would need to be a lot of improvements in both the graphics and the animations before i'd be interested all that much, which hopefully by the time they finish the MMO those kinds of refinements to the game will have been carried out.
    Not sure how much of that they can do. If the graphics are too high you will only see names floating around in big pvp fights. Think back to the early days of Aoin.
  • ImNotHarryImNotHarry Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Why are people still complaining about BR. The game trailer made me waiting for the beta start.
    Slapshot1188
    Why are people still complaining about BR. The game trailer made me waiting for the beta start.
    Because they don't like / didn't  back a BR game?
    JamesGoblinWaan[Deleted User]turinmacleod

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    That camera angle lacks the battlefield overview of the classic mmorpg camera and the immersion of the 1st person camera. I really don't understand the point of it.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I didnt comment on this when it first came out was hoping for a little more. But of course it hasnt come.

So it comes down to this...

Its either an awesome money making idea and one everyone says other companies should do if they have a viable playable product...SELL IT to make money for another project. (hello Star Citizen)

Or its a horrible idea where it works TOO well and they make more money than they thought and they start to see making the MMO might be a waste of time and money (hello Fortnite, Dayz, HiZ1 and probably a few more).

SO mixed feelings.

I imagine if they use the funds responsibly and make the MMO they pitched then all will be fine and forgiven. And then they have TWO games that cover two genres. Although I suspect some MMO players could get behind the 'expansion' portion of this. Because its basically every other self contained PvP map ever created by any MMO.

SO haters and white knight both have something to grasp onto here. For now.

But as long as they have something playable and decent then they will always have defenders even if they never release the MMO in any form. Or at best make an 'expansion' to this thing and call it the MMO.

But lets face it none of these crowdfunded/kickstarter games will ever, no matter how much money they raise will ever have enough to make a fully fleshed out MMO. So at least peopel who really want the MMO can have hope that they will make money and use it correctly and actually make an MMO which had little to no chance to ever be made despite the hype or hyperbole.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    TehTic said:
    So amazing how at 5:25 and that diatribe he went on he starts to sound EXACTLY like Chris Roberts.

Like I said it used to be WoW clones in the MO world. Now its Chris Roberts (moneymaking) clones in the whole video gaming world.
    KyleranSlapshot1188
    edited December 2018
    rodarin said:
    TehTic said:
    So amazing how at 5:25 and that diatribe he went on he starts to sound EXACTLY like Chris Roberts.

Like I said it used to be WoW clones in the MO world. Now its Chris Roberts (moneymaking) clones in the whole video gaming world.
    Steven is clearly a student of "the Master."

Speaking of Steven, here's a streamer who ran into him while playing a BR match.

The combat seems terribly busy and everyone rolls far too much for some reason.

Perhaps it's a BR / Gymkata hybrid?
    ;)

Kyleran said:
    rodarin said:
    TehTic said:

Steven is clearly a student of "the Master."

Speaking of Steven, here's a streamer who ran into him while playing a BR match.

The combat seems terribly busy and everyone rolls far too much for some reason.

Perhaps it's a BR / Gymkata hybrid?
    ;)
    Yeah... one of the problems with focusing your combat development on a BR game is that... well... you end up with BR combat.  Also, all your feedback is from people looking for BR combat.  If you think that’s a good thing then you will be happy. if you think Acrobats of Creation looks silly, you probably won’t.

MadFrenchieKyleran[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    So... how many ashes and how much creation will be involved in this new Battle Royale game that's probably never going to be an MMORPG anymore, now?