Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I think EQ2 is failing.

FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Ok, so "failing" may be a little harsh (but I'm sure its what got most
of you to read this), but the game is inarguably FAR from the success
SOE had planned.

The reason for this? It's not the linear gameplay, or the ease of
advancement. I really attribute their lack of active player base to 2
basic factors.

1) The title of the game. - For what it is, the game isnt
really horrible, but the title is extremely misleading. By calling it
"Everquest 2", they imply that this game will offer everything that it's
poppa delivered to the genre, and then some. I know this was not SOE's
intent, frankly I think they just went with "Everquest 2" using the name
to try and sell more. Heading into the game with the assumption that EQ2
will be all that they loved about the original and more, fans of the
first game (myself included) were disappointed to a point where many
lashed out in rebellion and, through negative word of mouth (and finger,
for the forums) the game recieved such horrible publicity that it began
to cave in on itself. However, had the game been given a different name
such as "The Future of Norrath", or "Norrath Quincentennial" or
something less stupid that what I can come up with off the top of my
head, I think the game would've been much more successful.

2) The target audience - EQ2's aim was to attempt to cash
in on the growing number of casual gamers entering the scene, while
trying to keep their hard core fans happy at the same time. Firstly,
there is absolutely NO WAY to please both sides. The things that pleases
one are exactly what set's off the other. In the game's infancy, this
caused some unrest among both sides. Later SOE decided to move the game
in a more casual-friendly direction....however....what they didnt really
seem to think through in this, as it seems to me, is the issue of the
game's immense system requirements. Most people dont spend multiple
thousands of dollars on a computer that they only plan to use on
occasion. The ones with the Alienware-esque hardware are the ones who
are serious gamers, and want the absolute most out of any game they play
leading a pretty good number of their now casual target audience out of
the loop because they either cant play, or the game is unstable.

In any case, many of their actions with this game, in my opinion, seem
to have been poorly thought out, and done in desperation, including the
earlier-than-expected release to beat out WoW, which seems to have
captured much more of the casual market, and garnished praise on shows
like X-play and such. Oh and for the record, no I'm not a WoW fanboi, my
opinion of the game is neutral as I've never played it, it doesnt appeal
to me at all, if you like it, awesome, I've got nothing against it. EQ2,
on the other hand...well I was one of those disappointed fans of EQ who
felt kinda betrayed by the title at first. I still dislike the game
because of that, but it works for other people, so I dont knock anyone's
choice of games.

Comments

• CillasiCillasi Member UncommonPosts: 335

First, EQ2 never purported to be EQ1 redux.  (In fact, the first developer's news release describing the game made it sound more like DAOC redux.)  There is nothing wrong with using EQ2 as the title as the game plays off EQ1 mythology.  The mistake players make is assuming that it uses the mechanics of EQ1.

EQ2 has been struggling to reach a balance between soloers and groupers and casual and hardcore.  This "scaling" is likely to tip back and forth for a while.  The source of a lot of complaints is the fact that some of the scaling has changed favored hunting grounds from one target group to another.  Heck, even EQ1 isn't the "old" EQ1 anymore, which is part of the reason they're able to keep their numbers up.  However, it doesn't make sense to rehash the pros and cons of each game.  Most of us already know what they are. 

I think the player base itself is changing.  I doubt even those who stuck with EQ1 all these years would be willing to undertake another massive venture such as that.  I will concede one point - a lot of current players view an mmo as a place to be entertained, rather than a place that offers entertaining things to do.  This is one phenomenon that mmo game-makers need to strive against. 

As far as system requirements go, EQ2 was not meant to be able to be played on "the best" settings.  Their mistake was allowing "the best" settings be known to the player base because once we know they're there, we want to use them.  The good thing about having all the options available is your ability to pick and choose those you want to use at what intensity and disable or lower the rest.  SOE does a good job of telling you which options are most likely to impact performance and to what degree when you mouse-over them.

There is also an excellent post in the forums at eq2players.com that helps you set your performance standards to best effect.  I followed the tips in that post and was able to very noticeably increase my system performance.  Of course, it doesn't bother me not to be able to see the buttons and bows on the nearest 15 avatars, nor do I need to see "heat shimmer" around fires.  So, although any system will have a problem playing EQ2 with everything on maximum setting, EQ2 gives the most options to tweak your system's performance to your liking.  I only have a 2ghz machine with 512mb ram and a gforce 5200 card and after tweaking, I don't even mind traversing the Qeynos zones anymore and I zone a lot faster (I guess because less detail has to be loaded). 

I don't think EQ2 is failing at all.  I do think it takes a while to adjust your mind-set to the world that is EQ2.  It's not a game where reaching the highest level is the goal.  In fact, it's not designed that way at all.  All the "good stuff" is not at level 50.  If you take time to notice, each "tier" area has epic battles to fight - boss mobs; instances, etc., so that you can engage in all the various types of activities at all levels, not just at level 50.  It is set up so you can enjoy all the game has to offer from where you are, scaled to the abilities you have at the time. 

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

I think they should have gone the way WOW went!

Hardcore mmorpgs are already happy with EQ or eve online etc. The casual gamers havn't entered the market yet which WOW took and did amaizngly well!

No PVP off the bat made the game less popular too ;) Most people want some kind of PVP and it didn't offer that!

Zoning and the high system demeands also limited the games population

The name limited the population

WOW limits the population

The way they made it so you had to group limited it too

The grind doesn't help too!

I think the World lets the game down the most tho ;) wasn't designed very well and very bland

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Also why remake the same EQ game? 400k people are happy enough with EQ

Already we're seeing the game entering its death bed! The game has no new players and the noob zones are soo empty it's not even fun as you need groups!

The game has to keep the 250k subs or it will die

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

i have a lvl 15 sorc on Blackburrow, and i can honestly say i have no problem finding groups in the "noob" zones.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

If you hunt around you night be able to find a post where I was whining about EQ IIs system requirements. I was wrong. I recently bought an $800 computer, and the game runs just fine on it (and is quite pretty). Of course i knew whare to spend and wher to skimp to get the most bang for my buck. But you surely don't need an alienware monster to run the game well.

I would say that EQ II does a better job of balancing casual and hardcore play than anything else on the market right now. Most games are only really good for one or the other. I also think the devs are doing a pretty god job at releasing new content. I do worry about it's future though. I don't get the impression that it's attracting a lot of new players. Some servers are pretty dead on the FP side at low levels (mine was a ghost town). And I agree with one of the above posters, very few of us are willing to stick around in a game for 5 years any more (hardcore or not). Most of those that would are still playing EQ 1.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Hardcore mmorpgs are already happy with EQ or eve online etc. The casual gamers havn't entered the market yet which WOW took and did amaizngly well!
    No PVP off the bat made the game less popular too ;) Most people want some kind of PVP and it didn't offer that!

I think the World lets the game down the most tho ;) wasn't designed very well and very bland

God what an annoying post to have to read. Scaramoosh, paragraphs are your friend. And why do you feel the need to press enter 4 times after every half-sentence? School is good.

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Howcome you dont just marry WoW.

• PterosaurPterosaur Member Posts: 4

Here's why I think its failing:

Its a small world after all. When you start you basically have one zone to play in depending on your alignment. When you hit 20 you have another. When I started playing EQ I made a toon in Kelethin and could go anywhere, from Freeport to Qeynos, Unrest, etc etc etc. EQ2 isn't like that. Worse yet when I started and you got to a level suitable to go to some of the higher level zones you have to do tedious access quests out the behind to go there - all to experience level appropriate content you are already paying for (this has recently changed). All those zones (Zek, Lava, EF) are dead ends. They lead nowhere else, there is no connectivity to the geography of the game. It constantly feels limited and small and restricted.

It is over quested, and requires people to do quests whether they want to or not. I know, its called Everquest. Nevertheless being forced to constantly quest from one point to another gets old.

Items and money. They were so worried about the economy of this game they only just started having creatures drop coins. With items it is even worse. Almost none of the items that drop in the game are suitable for using, they're vendor junk. Everyone looks the same at a given level because everyone wears the same crafted armor. I never felt I was getting any sort of reward for playing, I never had that excitment you got in EQ when you got an item that was cool. Compounding this is that the items are all attuned so you use everything and basically throw it away. Its just kill the same mobs over and over, never anything cool drops, nothing special happens. Its like a MMORPG controlled by anal-retentive nuns or something, constantly running around behind you telling you "NO!".

It dead ends. I have a level 50 Templar and have had it at that spot for months. There's nothing for me to do with him. I don't particularly care for playing alts. There is no system of AA's, there's just nothing.

I agree with the post above about the so called Adventure Packs. Initially I just said I wasn't going to pay for them. I ended up doing it though because I was so bored with the (lack of) content in the game. Now I'm tapping my foot waiting for the expansion.

To tell the truth though I'm about 90% sure I'm going to give it up and that's sad. I followed this game's development for years and was really hopeful it was going to be a great game and I'd recapture some of that old EQ magic. Now I find myself thinking about what a good game I gave up in Eve Online to play this one.

• rcdtearrcdtear Member Posts: 19

I am going to wait for the new expansion and pray that its going to have some amazing things in it.

I see the problems being 1. You can go everywhere without a long truck there and there isnt enough areas (YET) to level some place different every time.  Nothing it worse then not being able to run around and explore if your an adventurer type.

2.  There is serious lack of color in this game,  Im not saying its all black and white, but it lacks the Vibrant colors of other games such as EQ1, WOW, COH, etc.  Im not saying dress everyone in neon colors, but some color would be good.  Heck I dont know why some of the NPC's in EQ2 arnt sucidal due to lack of color.  Very Depressing.

3.  Everyone looks the same.  And im not kidding on this, I can figure out a persons level and class pretty much by looking at their armor and weapons.  I can say Yup 20's tank, because they are wearing a sword and shield, and wearing the 20th level quest gear.

4. Now you DONT have to quest all the time to level up, however you have to, A. get off the island, B. be able to get the pass to run around the city, and C. Get your classes at level 10 and at level 20.  Now if you have done that already its BORING.

5. They need to add something for level 50's that dont like to raid.  Perhaps LDoN like they had on EQ1, or AA's.  This would keep some of us Entertained for months.

Now I do have to say EQ2 has awsome graphics, some amazing looking mobs and has some inovative ideas. I just hope with the 1st expansion they touch on some of this, and work it out better.

We shall see.

RCDTEAR

Over the wind,
    Across the Sea.
    A sirens life,
    I call to thee.

• Jd1680aJd1680a Member Posts: 398

I think another factor that SOE is trying to learn from WoW and Guild wars, is forcing people to group.  SOE have improved this over the best few months letting all of the outdoor mobs being solo.  With the expansion im sure there is nothing new.  Theres probably a few quests there for you to get better armor or what not.  Basicly stuff you have to group to be able to get that great armor.

Im not against grouping any way.  There are some people out there who dont have the luxury of clicking on their LFG and two minutes later get a tell.  Sorry for me who plays a tank,  that rarely ever happens.  Waiting on the docks or in town for hours for a group isnt an option.  So solo content is a must for people who are waiting for getting into a group or choices not to group.  The success for WoW and Guild wars both prove right.

Have played: CoH, DDO EQ2, FFXI, L2, HZ, SoR, and WW2 online

• ixbenixben Member Posts: 1

Having played EQ1 for 4 years, EVE online for a year, WOW since it was released and EQ2 since beta, I can honestly say that I really and truely enjoy playing EQ2 better than the others. As was mentioned, I would like to see PvP initiated...and not just in arenas but more like the WoW or Dark Ages kind of PvP. I would also like to see better armor graphics. Someone mentioned that you can tell a persons class by the armor they are wearing...that's true. The armor graphics are boring and lack diversity. However in the gameplay I find EQ2 to be engaging, fun and attention grabbing. I rarely lack for a hunting partner as I play with my wife and we have developed a group of friends that we join from time to time. I have several characters that span levels from 19 to 50 so I know the game well. I have been in most zones and have completed more than the average number of quests. I do tradeskill but really don't care for it much. I do it out of necessity. I think the whole tradeskilling thing needs to be revisited and judging by the comments on the forums and the number of changes that have come about already, so do many others. I think that EQ2 is going to be around a long time. Yes, the player base has waned but there are many supporters who will keep returning night after night. I have children who played EQ1 with me. Only one has made the leap to EQ2...the others went to WoW after finding EQ2 too slow or unexciting for their taste. The lack of PvP was the main issue with them

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

In response to cillasi, I did state that it wasn't SOE's intent to
    market EQ2 as a prettier version of EQ, but nonetheless, from a
    marketing standpoint, they should've known that sharing the title would
    lead many to believe otherwise.

Also, there is still a multitude of gamers looking for an mmorpg to
    commit hour upon hour to. There just also happens to be an influx of new
    casual gamers entering the customer pool as well, leaving the
    "hardcore", as they're called, gamers little option other than jumping
    from game to game ever month or two after having tired of the massive
    decrease in difficulty, or lack of truly epic content that has become so
    common in this generation of mmorpg's. This often masks the presence of
    the hardcore crowd, disguising them as casual gamers to an extent, and
    is also why so many people see Vanguard as being a haven for such
    devotees. Though, while I'm looking forward to the game myself, I try
    not to get my hopes up too much, as what's promised, and what's
    delivered often are two different fruit. As for games like EQ and DAoC,
    like anything, people want something new after a while, and particularly
    in the case of EQ, many of the game's fans left BECAUSE of the change in
    content. As far as bringing new players, well you have to consider the
    game's age. Very few people looking to start playing an mmorpg are going
    to buy the game that's 5+ years old, and no game has offered the depth
    and challenge those games posessed since. So I think it's just more that
    there hasnt been a game to appeal to hardcore gamers rather than there
    just not being any hardcore gamers left.