Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of MMORPG graphic do you prefer?

13»

Comments

• MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 810
    I dont care about graphics! Just as long the girl I am dating is good looking. 
    AlBQuirkyScotJean-Luc_Picard

“Do not be so open-minded that your brains fall out.”

― G.K. Chesterton
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,171
    Sovrath said:
    Anthur said:
    2D or even 2,5D graphics don't do it for me. We are not in 1999 anymore. ;)
    That's the only reason I'm unable to play Ultima Online anymore. I just can't get immersed in that kind of graphics anymore.

Once you've played MMORPGs with graphics like this:

Where is that first screen shot from?
    Um.

That looks like a drawing to me ...
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,501
    Wizardry said:
    Know why it should matter?
    Graphics are the very core of a VIDEO game,they help to bring the world to life render objects to look believable/real.
    Graphics is basically 90% of a game,without them ,you have the engine and empty artwork.If i wasn't so lazy i would load up a simple map and show you what it looks like without the FACE.

IF anyone says graphics don't matter,they are either completely ignorant of graphics or are lying.

yeah i said i was lazy so this is someone else's video.Skip to 40 seconds and you'll see what a blank map and a character looks like with no textures/face,it is NOT what anyone would accept for gaming.
    Graphics matter 100%.
    What i feel the OP is actually eluding too is level of detail.This also matters to me because lack of detail does a WORSE job of bringing the visual to life. There are of course several levels of detail,i feel most accept them somewhere in between.I doubt there is a single person that needs 10/10 graphics,well perfect could never be achieved anyhow.
    <Quote> 
    IF anyone says graphics don't matter,they are either completely ignorant of graphics or are lying. 

We all want good graphics
    Here's the problem with everyone that want's good graphics 

You can't have both.....Rich game play and good looks.  You can't think personal, you need to think technical.
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,133
    My dream game is Everquest exactly like it was when it launched with top notch graphics, thank you very much.
    DibdabsAlBQuirky
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,168
    Wizardry said:
    Know why it should matter?
    Graphics are the very core of a VIDEO game,they help to bring the world to life render objects to look believable/real.
    Graphics is basically 90% of a game,without them ,you have the engine and empty artwork.If i wasn't so lazy i would load up a simple map and show you what it looks like without the FACE.

yeah i said i was lazy so this is someone else's video.Skip to 40 seconds and you'll see what a blank map and a character looks like with no textures/face,it is NOT what anyone would accept for gaming.
    Graphics matter 100%.
    What i feel the OP is actually eluding too is level of detail.This also matters to me because lack of detail does a WORSE job of bringing the visual to life. There are of course several levels of detail,i feel most accept them somewhere in between.I doubt there is a single person that needs 10/10 graphics,well perfect could never be achieved anyhow.
    <Quote> 

We all want good graphics
    Here's the problem with everyone that want's good graphics 

You can't have both.....Rich game play and good looks.  You can't think personal, you need to think technical.
    I'm not sure why you believe that to be true. You can have both. We already have games that excel in both. I understand arguing that gameplay is much harder to get right compared to graphics, and gameplay can make or break your game while graphics may not. But that doesn't mean that both goals are possible.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,134
    My rule on graphics is

Just good enough to not get in the way of gameplay. 

If I am playing and graphics and animations are bad or ugly to the point where I am going "that just looks bad" - that means my gameplay experience is being ruined by graphics issues.

That shouldn't happen
    AlBQuirkykjempffTrolldefender99
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 1,871
    The matter of graphic isn't how much detail it is but how it make you feel comfortable when look at .
    For example UO graphic vs Diablo 1 graphic . I still enjoy Diablo 1 graphic even 20 years had pass from it release but UO graphic is ... kind of hard to look at it now

And smooth animation is must , no matter what kind of style you chose .
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,899
    edited December 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Anthur said:
    2D or even 2,5D graphics don't do it for me. We are not in 1999 anymore. ;)
    That's the only reason I'm unable to play Ultima Online anymore. I just can't get immersed in that kind of graphics anymore.

Once you've played MMORPGs with graphics like this:

Where is that first screen shot from?
    Um.

That looks like a drawing to me ...
    Nope, it's really WoW. Taken at sunset from the top of Dazar'alor in Zandalar.
    Everything maxed out of course, on the computer in my signature.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,578
    It depends on the game.  Graphics is just a part of the whole.  I usually want great graphics but games with poor combat, limited inventory, too many time-sinks, forced mini-maxing, not being able to share at least some inventory with alts, no account wide purchases, usually turn me off.  Also, if I feel like the amount of work required to play the game is off, such as work not being equal to rewards is bad, just kills the game for me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Does anyone remember Firefall? I loved how the game world looked. It was partly cell shaded but not fully. And it also meant that you didn't need a state of the art PC to run it. Man, I miss that game. That game world was beautiful.
    kjempff
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,179
    You say graphics I hear aesthetics.

Graphics have to be good.

Aesthetic direction is another thing.

I prefer things like my beloved and dead Gigantic over realistic aesthetic. 

AlBQuirky

Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 875
    Do you consider smoothness of Character movement and animations as part of graphics?
    If yes, top notch
    If not, just general good graphics. The smoothness is much more important to me.
  • LadyAugustLadyAugust Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I care more about gameplay than graphics, but I am very tired of anime looking games.  That's a 100% guarantee that I won't play whatever it is.
    kjempff
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 10,904
    jazz.be said:
    Do you consider smoothness of Character movement and animations as part of graphics?
    If yes, top notch
    If not, just general good graphics. The smoothness is much more important to me.
    That's where I do not bother so much, players go on about animations and all I care about is does the backgrounds and characters in repose look good. The only time animations concern me is if running or riding look wrong somehow.

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,602
    Always gameplay over graphics.
    In fact high end graphics have in every case I know stood in the way of good gameplay, depth and longevity...and that makes sense, because it is a heavy expense that is not going into creating the actual game, and it is also an expense growing linear with complexity and amount of content.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,452
    jazz.be said:
    If yes, top notch
    If the animations aren't smooth it just looks too jarring and does detract from the visuals, so yes it is equally important if not absolutely integral imo. WoW, Eve Online and BDO have that in common, smooth animations and each for their particular type, is top notch.  ;)
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,899
    I agree with most here about animations.
    You can have top notch graphics (for the year the game is released), if the animations are crap it totally breaks the immersion for me.
    A good example would be WoW vs EQ2, released the same month. WoW may have had "inferior" graphics according to some, but EQ2's animation were utter crap.
    AlBQuirky
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,469
    Graphics are a huge part of visual games. This is a must. If the graphics come up short, the game feels crude and unfinished. 

Just the way of things.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,602
    Ungood said:
    Graphics are a huge part of visual games. This is a must. If the graphics come up short, the game feels crude and unfinished. 

Just the way of things.
    History disagree with you. Loads of great games with crude graphics can be mentioned, very few with top graphics and poor gameplay have survived or become memorable. Gameplay will always be the defining thing, graphics is secondary.
    Sovrath
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 10,904
    I agree with most here about animations.
    You can have top notch graphics (for the year the game is released), if the animations are crap it totally breaks the immersion for me.
    A good example would be WoW vs EQ2, released the same month. WoW may have had "inferior" graphics according to some, but EQ2's animation were utter crap.
    Even I as someone who does not get bothered by animations noticed EQ2 was rather poor there. But it did not concern me enough to effect my enjoyment of the game.
    Maurgrim

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Good ole Firefall.
    Image result for firefall screenshots
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member RarePosts: 952
    I actually prefer stylized over realism any day. As long as the quality is good, it lasts through the years much, much better.

I would love to see a SWG remake w/ modern stylized graphics.