Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of ROLEPLAY in GW?

ondejakobondejakob Member Posts: 5

I have recently converted to Guild Wars from World of Warcraft.

First off, I made my character a "roleplay character" at creation ofcourse. But seems to me that everyone is ooc talking pvp despite that fact.

I enjoy the great graphics and the nice quests and storyline. Only I am sad to find the cities one big ooc market place... no one chatting about their pasts or boasting of the beasts they have slain or whatever... and nowhere to get drunk (haven't found a place - do they excist?).

The PvP elements of GW is by far the most exciting and well developed out there to date, but the lack of serious roleplaying (or roleplaying at all) definately cooks my noodle.

Maybe Ill try and found a hardcore roleplaying guild and see if I can manage to draw in some select few. Well, what do you think about roleplay and/or lack of the same in GW?

Comments

• arzholarzhol Member Posts: 11

I think that GW has a good Roleplaying game, but has very few quests compared to other games.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Unfortunately, you're not going to find much roleplaying going on in Guild Wars.

During character creation, the term 'roleplaying character' is a bit misleading to some. In stead, they should just call it 'PvE character' and be done with it. All you are doing when you create a 'roleplay character' is creating a PvE character that will go through the main quests of the game and partake in the PvE storyline. It doesn't really have any bearing on actual roleplaying like how you or I would think of it.

Hope that helps.

• zeboathzeboath Member Posts: 396

That isn't exactly true. Guild Wars is pretty much the only game where you are a main character of the storyline. The storyline is drivin through the missions, and by completing them, you are a part of the history. But yes... It lacks a tavern or something, and place where you can go meet people, drink a mug of dwarven ale, and chat about your brave conquests. That, an auction house, and a guild recruitment hall...

--------------------------------------------

• lightning13lightning13 Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by ondejakob
    and nowhere to get drunk (haven't found a place - do they excist?).

Once you get to the dwarven city of Droknar, there will be lots of drinking. I remember my first time...

• zeboathzeboath Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by lightning13

Once you get to the dwarven city of Droknar, there will be lots of drinking. I remember my first time...

Yeah, I know that you can buy Dwarven Ale... actually that's in bc, but I've reached droknar, and but I don't see any drinking?

Beer is mighty!::::20::::::08::::::08::

--------------------------------------------

• lightning13lightning13 Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by zeboath
    Originally posted by lightning13

Yeah, I know that you can buy Dwarven Ale... actually that's in bc, but I've reached droknar, and but I don't see any drinking?

Beer is mighty!::::20::::::08::::::08::

Ya people are suck penny pinchers, they won't even spend their money on a little bit of ale. I know I drink whenever I get the chance, it's really fun. Actually, I'm a bit drunk now, lol. However, I would like to try fighting while I''m drunk, I wonder if it makes you and stronger ::::37::...

• WHOOWHOO Member Posts: 57

This is more a Final Fantasy kind of MMO, where it has a set story line, but you get to pick to do some of the quests and what stats you raise... Plus i cant stretch this enough to all you sobs that keep complaining... GW IS NOT MEANT TO BE A HARDCORE MMO PLAYER GAME!

Evens says on there main site it is a game meant for casual gamers who dont have a lot of time to spend on a MMO, cause yes GW will get boring(not on site).

Boy, i have played so many games. Want an opinion on any major game? PM me.

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325
    yea i havin playedf gw for a month but still love it

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

There is no or hardly no char roleplaying in GW... If fact you need the chat filter to to stop your eyes from bleeding.

• justiechanjustiechan Member Posts: 31

I think part of the problem people have with Guild Wars is that they think of it as an MMORPG. It's not. GW is really two loosely related games; the PvE game and the PvP game. Some enjoy the PvE storyline, but most play PvE simply to unlock skills and upgrades for PvP. In PvP you accumulate "faction" points so that your PvE characters can unlock skills for PvP.

The PvE portion is an RPG to a certain extent due to the storyline, but is by no means a MMO.
    The PvP portion can loosely be considered an MMO (up to 64 players depending on the map), but is by no means a RPG.

I've enjoyed GW since the first WPE over a year ago, and continue to enjoy it, but it's not really an MMORPG, and nor is it a substitute for one.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by justiechan

I think part of the problem people have with Guild Wars is that they think of it as an MMORPG. It's not. GW is really two loosely related games; the PvE game and the PvP game. Some enjoy the PvE storyline, but most play PvE simply to unlock skills and upgrades for PvP. In PvP you accumulate "faction" points so that your PvE characters can unlock skills for PvP.
    The PvE portion is an RPG to a certain extent due to the storyline, but is by no means a MMO.
    The PvP portion can loosely be considered an MMO (up to 64 players depending on the map), but is by no means a RPG.
    I've enjoyed GW since the first WPE over a year ago, and continue to enjoy it, but it's not really an MMORPG, and nor is it a substitute for one.

Dude, the thread is about the existence/nonexistence of roleplaying in Guild Wars, not whether or not it is an MMORPG...

Seriously, does someone always need to bring up that tired subject?