Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Gamers of a Certain Age Can’t Wait for Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhy Gamers of a Certain Age Can’t Wait for Legends of Aria - MMORPG.com

Recent rumors suggest that the next installment in the storied Diablo franchise will feature elements reminiscent of Diablo II, which could be a step in the right direction. However, the news is only a small light at the end of a very long tunnel for fans of old school MMORPGs. Fortunately, Diablo IV isn’t the only enticing prospect for gamers of a certain age looking to relive the glory days of the MMO genre.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I think people of a certain age are too busy to spend more time in a UO game like, even less with a full loot "feature"
    WarlyxThuplionelesslightkinkyJalepenoMaddog666TacticalZombehGobstopper3DqomaOzmodan
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The ideology vs the reality. "Gamers of a certain age" will mostly tell you that they liked to work towards something and not have things handed to them just for logging in or completely "easy mode" of various difficulty of the same content. The real thing they want though (those that say it at least) is for that to apply across the board because it creates an environment where people force themselves to work with others to get things done. This conflicts with the reality of games today where everyone can do their own thing and "progress" without having to say a single word to anyone or have to help others gear up in order to tackle harder content together. MMORPGs today really are just single player games with optional co-op.
    mikeb0817jgDuffayDaranarKooturYoofaloofkinkyJalepenochocolate42069[Deleted User][Deleted User]Tuor7and 12 others.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't look for old school ,i just want a really well designed game because mmorpg's take up a LOT of our time,i don't want that time wasted by quitting a couple months down the road like what happens to almost every game that comes out.

People are bandwagon jumpers,they see something popular they all come running but only a very select few stick around,all those popular 1 month games disappear real fast.
    There are those few giddy players who get all excited..oh yeah hehe oh yippy i can play Farmville,such FUN oh joy who will buy anything and enjoy it but for most of us,i THINK we have SOME standards.

How many are playing old school mmorpg's?VERY few and even in those cases i am quite sure people want SOME kind of change as most of those designs are somewhat good but imo not good enough,always room to improve.
    SorillYoofaloofLighttip

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    edited December 2018
    "Nostalgia" seems to sum up the whole article. Also - from purely gameplay perspective the game is bad but because of said nostalgia people would blame non-existing factors when it fails the way they did with Shroud of the Avatar.
    NoxiasManWithNoTan[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I think people of a certain age are too busy to spend more time in a UO game like, even less with a full loot "feature"
    With custom servers though that feature can be tweaked.  I like the idea that drops would be random and not everything as it is fun and not overly time consuming or punishing.

As it stands full loot can be annoying due to the constant bank runs where as a random or partial loot drop would be fun and rewarding.
    I always thought if you were going to include losing items, specifically to other players, on death, it should be random items from your unequipped inventory.  That way the setback isn't "well now you gotta go re-farm that sword you already farmed to equip for yourself," but instead "well, you lost some of the profit/supplies you would've had from your looted items when you died.  To the victor go those spoils."

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm of a "certain age", but I don't buy into the whole nostalgia thing that the industry is keen on these days. I love the new so much more. It's like saying that those who are of a "certain age" want flip phones back. Not me...give me the latest and greatest smart phone and I'm a happy camper. :D

I'll probably dabble in LoA, but that's about it.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]mklinicNoxiasZenJellyNepheth[Deleted User]Iselin[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I'm confused. What does Diablo 2 have to do with MMORPGs, especially old school MMORPGs?
    [Deleted User]RPGeniePhry[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    If the game wasn't so bad maybe....
    ZenJellyManWithNoTan
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    "People of a certain age"...im sure theres an insult in there somewhere.....
    XarkoSBFordonelesslightKootur[Deleted User]TacticalZombehGobstopper3Dtweedledumb99
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Why gamers of a certain age can’t wait for Legends of Aria?
    Because it could be their last MMO.
    *badum tish*
    onelesslightNoxiasManWithNoTankinkyJalepeno[Deleted User]Tuor7TacticalZombehtweedledumb99
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    I'm of a "certain age", but I don't buy into the whole nostalgia thing that the industry is keen on these days. I love the new so much more. It's like saying that those who are of a "certain age" want flip phones back. Not me...give me the latest and greatest smart phone and I'm a happy camper. :D

When it comes down to gaming, I am pretty much the same. Yeah the days of Everquest, Ultima Online and EVE rocked as hell. And I am not playing MMOs anymore, but I like now better than before and I believe I'll like the future more than the present. 
    SBFord
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    SBFord said:

When it comes down to gaming, I am pretty much the same. Yeah the days of Everquest, Ultima Online and EVE rocked as hell. And I am not playing MMOs anymore, but I like now better than before and I believe I'll like the future more than the present. 
    Well, is there a strong argument that the modernized features we see in so many others isn't being mimicked by most MMORPGs?

Shared world was a great innovation for tight, high-production shooters like Destiny.  You can retain beautiful graphics and high-quality, twitch-based gunplay because you're not trying to make it "massive."

Have we had a lot of innovations in the MMORPG genre in the past ten years to compliment the genre itself?  Or have the innovations mosltly been centered on creating convenience at the expense of the only strength the genre truly, uniquely has?
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    ConstantineMerusBillMurphydruez[Deleted User]Gdemami

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I don't understand how anyone can play an MMO with an isometric/ three-quarter top-down view. This is the exact reason I am unable to play Runescape despite all of the interesting features.

(I don't need current gen graphics, but at least Everquest level)
    [Deleted User]onelesslightGobstopper3D
  • sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Age or being hardcore has nothing to do with it Certain ppl just like certain niches of games
    onelesslightManWithNoTanVyntTacticalZombeh
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited December 2018
    Shadowbane did pvp loot well. Loot inventory, but not equipped gear.
    ColdrenGdemami
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:

Well, is there a strong argument that the modernized features we see in so many others isn't being mimicked by most MMORPGs?

Shared world was a great innovation for tight, high-prodiction shooters like Destiny.  You can retain beautiful graphics and high-quality, twitch-based gunplay because you're not trying to make it "massive."

Have we had a lot of innovations in the MMORPG genre in the past ten years to compliment the genre itself?  Or have the innovations mosltly been centered on creating convenience at the expense of the only strength the genre truly, uniquely has?
    MMOs peaked at EVE - for me. After that I waited for the next big virtual world but it never happened again. They shrunk, then stunk, then shrunk some more. 
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Well, there is some good mmos like ffxiv, and some bad like wildstar. We will always love our babys like WOW even though they din't age well. And the guys that was playing a mmo before the internet was invented will also love their babys even though they grew up and died. Or is on respirarors. And as such mmos are in my opinion not in a great place but that goes for most of the industry atm, cause of greed and to much focus on graphics. Lets hope the future holds something we can all fall in love with again :)
    ManWithNoTanViper482
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

SBFord said:

We don't want flip phones, we want rotary dials on our smart phones... :(
    [Deleted User]ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]TacticalZombehd_20
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

SBFord said:

pretty sure some hipster would buy it
    ZenJelly[Deleted User][Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Not sure what some people are complaining about.. having an awesome time with LoA so far, and have been playing since the 7 day headstart. Sure there are problems, but every MMO has that. There will be fixes. It's been great so far. Also if you don't like the full loot PvP style, check out the custom servers. There are quite a few well run ones with rulesets that you may really enjoy.
    ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]Existentialist
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

SBFord said:

I actually had a flip phone up until I changed carriers which was about the time the iPhone 6 came out. I then got one (a plus) and it has been a huge help.

If it wasn't for google maps and Uber I would go back to a flip phone. But being in another country or city and being able to find everything you want, get restaurant recommendations is priceless.

ConstantineMerusCaffynatedVynt
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

SBFord said:

I actually bought a girlfriend a rotary dial phone, original phone 70's , never taken out of the box, as she hated how cheap the new phones were.

They are much better devices (other than dialing numbers with a lot of 9's and 0's)
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

"People of a certain age"...im sure theres an insult in there somewhere.....

Don't worry I'm sure someone will be offend on your behalf of you aren't.
  • ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I don't mind the full loot at all, but granted I haven't played long enough to own anything in the game I would really mind losing. I think having to decide what equipment to risk is actually a good thing as it makes crafted stuff of all levels sought after even later on when most players on a server are high level.

Even if you don't get robbed of your possesions in Legends of Aria you won't keep them forever as they get worn down and isn't possible to repair. This is also a good call in a crafting focused game.

The thing this game will have going for it I think will be the community servers. If you don't like full loot or even PvP I'm sure that there will be servers without it. I guess that it will be like the old Neverwinter Night with a lot of crappy community servers but with the best ones surpassing the official servers in quality.
    ManWithNoTanjgerblick[Deleted User]
  • couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114

UO Outlands just became the largest UO shard ever. Pretty sure there are plenty of us that are still happy to play a game with risk and reward.
    alkarionlog[Deleted User]Gdemamijgerblick