Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Players Given Lifetime Ban for Homophobic Attacks

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    They got a ban, they deserved the ban. 'nuff said.
    SBFordklash2def

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Also, are we all going to make believe that a person who would go "queer hunting" at a strangers expense (no matter the circumstance) doesn't have a character/personality flaw that might need some addressing? Let's not do that.
    So take this to it's logical conclusion.  Are we all going to make believe that a person who would go online and kill other players (no matter the circumstance) doesn't have a character/personality flaw that might need some addressing?

It's a super slippery slope when you decide to be judge jury and executioner of someone else.  Especially when the "victim" could simply have turned off the chat.   Were the "offenders" acting like jerks?  Sure.  Lifetime ban?  Come on... they have far more pressing issues to address with the game.   

Anyone has the ability to simply shut off the voice chat or limit it to your group only.  Would more tools (which are coming) be even better?  Absolutely. Being able to squelch someone would be a great feature.  

As I said earlier... all parties here were at fault.  The "offenders" the "victim" and Bethesda.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    k61977 said:
    Could you imagine a game where you had to use your real world names and photos?  Would these people still do these type of things?  It really makes me wonder what will happen when that day finally comes.  Things are slowly heading that way now.  Some people are ignorant and most likely still would, but who can say.

While I don't agree with censorship, I don't believe people have a right to just spew out things with no repercussions either.  These guys knew what they where doing, now they have to live with the repercussion of their own actions.  That should be the end of the story.  Instead this will be turned into a crusade for banning or against banning.

That would be a huge disaster in the making. I think Blizzard tried that and had to reverse it in a haste. I will give two examples:
    • Imagine being that frail little kid that is not good with sports but great in a PvP game. Now imagine beating the school bully in said game. And the consequences if you ever beat him again.
    • Imagine being a semi-popular streamer that everybody knows where you live. 
    The gaming community at this point is such a huge demographic, that encompasses all kind of unstable individuals as well. Just do a search on "stabbed over computer game" and you'll understand why this barrier of anonymity must be preserved.

You can block any type of stupid from your chat channel. You can not block doxxing.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Hope these guys don't get sick of FO76 and try Rust. In for a bit of an awakening if they do.
  • WrekktWrekkt Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Looting for guns, building bombs and murdering for fun. Name calling though - that cuts wayyy too deep. That's totally off limits. This world has gone insane.

I'm not supporting the bigotry, but hot damn, if you can't handle bullies the internet is NOT the place for you.

Does this mean Bethesda is giving out lifetime bans to anyone who uses racial, sexist or religious remarks of a negative nature? I sure hope so, otherwise those who did get a lifetime ban can file suit for discrimination themselves. Good luck Bethesda, enjoy policing up your game.
    Maybe it's because everyone operates off this kind of nonsense rhetoric.
    [Deleted User]
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    ahh the old banning for words, the rest of the world just doesn't understand what freedom is
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Make a simple block button so individual players can be muted to you. Banning someone for words is kinda stupid. You made a game where people could talk to each other. Why would you not make a way for individuals to block on a person by person basis.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2018
    mrputts said:
    Make a simple block button so individual players can be muted to you. Banning someone for words is kinda stupid. You made a game where people could talk to each other. Why would you not make a way for individuals to block on a person by person basis.
    bc being a fucking asshole is in no way productive for an online community.
    they earned their bans. 

uh and ;
    Myrdynn said:
    ahh the old banning for words, the rest of the world just doesn't understand what freedom is

you think that is freedom? my god... your parents must be proud ^^
    SBFordmaskedweasel

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It's funny how these devs hand out the ban hammer but do things to their consumers far worse,like take their money and lie about things.It is like a dbl slap in the face,even if their actions are sometimes correct,should they really be pointing the finger at anyone,not like we can ban them.

Well i guess we can,we can stop supporting them.
    Xarko

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    This whole FO76 voice chat thing shows how easily can a game dev get disconnected from gaming reality. Imagine implementing always on voice chat and actually believing it will help immersion. In the "survival" game including "PvP" of all games. 

Anyone playing multiplayer games actively would know that's a one shit idea.
    SBFord
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    we cant know the whole story from other side since no video or what happend and they react so brutal to him.
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Eh...lifetime ban in FO76 is meaningless. The game will be literally dead an year from now. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Also, are we all going to make believe that a person who would go "queer hunting" at a strangers expense (no matter the circumstance) doesn't have a character/personality flaw that might need some addressing? Let's not do that.
    Assuming that they have a flaw or mental defect is a dangerous road to go down.

Some might argue that a person who swears they are one gender while biologically another has a flaw or defect.  That thought process is not the way to go because it can be turned around and we all wind up in the nut house.  

Why it is so hard to accept that some people just have a different idea of funny or what is normal?  This stuff has always been a part of the human condition in that some just do not like different and no amount of public service announcements or laws is going to change that.

Again once it escalates to violence we are talking a different ballgame.  The internet, social media and the 24 hour so called news cycle has brought to the forefront what has always been there.  This is every culture and not just in America so anyone who thinks their society is somehow above it all is full of shite.
    hate speech isn't funny
    Hate speech isn't real. Fact. :/
    ConstantineMerusXarko
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Wrekkt said:
    Looting for guns, building bombs and murdering for fun. Name calling though - that cuts wayyy too deep. That's totally off limits. This world has gone insane.

I'm not supporting the bigotry, but hot damn, if you can't handle bullies the internet is NOT the place for you.

Does this mean Bethesda is giving out lifetime bans to anyone who uses racial, sexist or religious remarks of a negative nature? I sure hope so, otherwise those who did get a lifetime ban can file suit for discrimination themselves. Good luck Bethesda, enjoy policing up your game.
    Maybe it's because everyone operates off this kind of nonsense rhetoric.
    "Handle-The-Bullies" where I'm from is violence. So when you say Handle bullies, explain what you mean. You cant handle people who can hide behind words, it does not mean the words hurt less because its "the internet" that's bs rhetoric and a excuse. Kids are killing themselves everyday over internet bullying. Stop defending that shit. These "bullies" would never say none of the things they say in real life, they do it in the safety of a username. There are real world consequences to the things they say but being online and hidden allows them to get away with it. It's deeper than name calling.

The amount times I've been called "N'worder" this week in Red Dead Online is unreal. What's sad is it's not new and its normalized. You have no idea what its like to be minding your biz, trying to enjoy your game and suddenly out of nowhere be attacked verbally like that. Sure, "Turn off chat" but I shouldn't have to.  Fuck them, I pay to have my full experience. What really annoys me is the fact that none of them would ever say that shit to my face. 

I have no pity for anybody who thinks its okay to hide behind being anonymous.  I'm glad Bethesda banned those guys. Fuck em! All the bigots should be banned if they cant handle being around people different than they are. Its not hard to be decent. Also If you constantly figure out a way to defend bigots you are also part of the problem. Just because you don't understand it or haven't felt it, does not mean it isn't real and doesn't affect people. Again kids are dying over this. Real Life. Bigotry will 100% get you fucked up in the wrong setting. again. REAL life. Something bullies and the defenders usually forget about. 
    SBFordIselin
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Phry said:

Some might argue that a person who swears they are one gender while biologically another has a flaw or defect.  That thought process is not the way to go because it can be turned around and we all wind up in the nut house.  

Why it is so hard to accept that some people just have a different idea of funny or what is normal?  This stuff has always been a part of the human condition in that some just do not like different and no amount of public service announcements or laws is going to change that.

Again once it escalates to violence we are talking a different ballgame.  The internet, social media and the 24 hour so called news cycle has brought to the forefront what has always been there.  This is every culture and not just in America so anyone who thinks their society is somehow above it all is full of shite.
    hate speech isn't funny
    That's inaccurate. Hate speech is a real thing. However it is something that is impossible to define with precision, because each one of us make our own boundaries of what can hurt us and what can not. 

Which basically presents a problem of ever moving goal posts, depending on your audience. In the anonymous vast audience of the internet, are you being true to yourself and act the way you act in RL, or you limit yourself to the weakest member of said internet? How far is too far and when does one become tired at walking in egg shells?

Generally speaking, I don't expect any company to police their clients. I do however expect them to provide me with the tools to do it on my own. And I do block both people that are intentionally nasty (towards me and/or others), but also people that are aggressively fragile when exposed to my ideas and humor.
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny
    Hate Speech is very real and if you say otherwise you more than likely practice hate speech often.

Fact. :/ 
    mrputts
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny
    Hate Speech is very real and if you say otherwise you more than likely practice hate speech often.

That's not a fact, that's a baseless accusation. 
    PhrySlapshot1188Xarko
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Baseless? Try harder. 

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Baseless? Try harder. 
    It's not up to me to try harder to provide reasons when you are accusing someone else of something - it is up to you. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Fun fact for you. If you consider Hate speech as being real, then you have been using it against others. Also Fact. ;)
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Baseless? Try harder. 
    It's not up to me to try harder to provide reasons when you are accusing someone else of something - it is up to you. 
    I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I said hate speech is real because it is, I've experienced it and the fact that you are ignoring that part of my comment is very telling. Do you agree Hate speech is real or no?

I'm confused on why you are focusing on my suggestion that people who don't think hate speech is real usually practice hate speech. In my experience that's indeed true but the main point is the hate speech being real part... in case you missed that.

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Baseless? Try harder. 
    Hate speech is a term used to describe things people say that others find offensive, as has often been pointed out, to do such a thing is a dangerous and harmful proposition, because it is a matter of opinion as to what is classed as being hate speech, there is no definition other than it being something that offends others, as always who gets to decide what is and is not 'hate speech', its always the worst person possible. People on this forum of which klash2def is but one have said things that i find offensive, does that mean i can accuse them of hate speech, by the very definition of the term, yes i absolutely can. Thats why the term 'hate speech' is not just misleading, its wrong. :/
    ConstantineMerusXarko
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2018
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    Ah I wondered with this story would show up here. Some stupid high-school kids did something stupid in an online game where player conflict is encouraged and people are surprised. 
    We made an editorial decision to leave it out of the news stream since most times we post things hinting at politics, they turn into a dumpster fire. We'll be keeping tabs on this thread as well.

ON TOPIC: This is the biggest problem with proximity chat. The fact that no option for push to talk or full opt-out of voice chat was included is just mind bogglingly naive or maybe just plain stupid.
    Can't mute a certain player? What if someone decides to put on Justin Bieber then what the hell am I supposed to do!?
    No one should be forced into voice chat. It's an automatic NO from me if I have to listen to other people talk. I reserve voice chat for people I know, not utter strangers. It's pretty much why I opted not to purchase FO76 even before the shitstorm that launch brought about.
    For what it's worth I have rarely heard anyone speak in any of my FO76 gaming sessions.

One time I hit a world where some folks were chattering quite a bit so I logged out, back in, problem solved.

Not ideal, but sufficient for me until the toggle is added in.

Edit, interestingly enough, I read several complaints about how voice chat could not be toggled,  never occurred to me to check the settings to see if it could be completely shut down.

Glad @Slapshot1188 cleared that up, will be changing it on my next session. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Baseless? Try harder. 
    I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I said hate speech is real because it is, I've experienced it and the fact that you are ignoring that part of my comment is very telling. Do you agree Hate speech is real or no?

I'm confused on why you are focusing on my suggestion that people who don't think hate speech is real usually practice hate speech. In my experience that's indeed true but the main point is the hate speech being real part... in case you missed that.
    Don't take me wrong, I am not saying hate isn't real. And there are hateful people. And they have harmed others, a lot. I don't believe in the definition of hate speech because words cannot be judged out of context. That wouldn't make me someone who is hateful and likes to hurt others. 
    Slapshot1188

Phry said:
    klash2def said:
    Phry said:

hate speech isn't funny

Fun fact for you. If you consider Hate speech as being real, then you have been using it against others. Also Fact. ;)

man huh?

What do you call homophobic slurs? What do you call Racial slurs? What do you call sexist slurs? Oh I'm sorry, I must've missed the memo where all those things are considered Love and not hate. 
    SBFord

This discussion has been closed.